Baseball And Cricket

keddy

Living in Thailand has few disadvantages, of course but one of them is the lack of Cricket on the tv, apart from a few clips of 1 day internationals and tests. Nevertheless I did get hold of the ashes series, on pay-per-view, and apart from the crazy ads from India, it was a fabulous thing. However the gap, since the series finished, has not been easy to fill so I have had to resort to watching baseball and trying to understand the nuances of the game and I'm beginning to get into it. I see many similarities with cricket. The pitcher, like the bowler has a variety of deliveries; speed, trajectory etc and seems to set batsmen up with previous throws. The field is adjusted to cut off perceived strengths of the batter, although in a more limited way. The two games have also the same obsession with statistics and a sense of history. Yet It's been said that baseball favours the pitcher while cricket is a batsmans game but in cricket they have to deal balls coming at them at 95+ MPH as well as movement off the ground. I would love to see D Jeta, A Rod, etc play cricket to see if they could adapt their skills. Jeta obviously would be a brilliant cover fielder but could he bat? likewise I would love see Tandulkar, Flintoff play the other game. I think the fans of both games, given the chance could really appreciate each others sport. Baseball fans try and get the last ashes series on tape.

BTW, it's "Jeter", not "Jeta".... :o

I have absolutely no knowledge of Cricket, except it's that "English game" that Rich people over there play between Fox Hunting seasons... :D

Cricket does look very gentelmanly and sophisticated Poshy,but have been seeing the Jamaicans play it in my local park every weekend this Summer, maybe I'll watch a game sometime... As for it catching on here, I seriously doubt it....But it does look sorta interesting.....

Baseball fans try and get the last ashes series on tape.

Do they have 'em on DVD? :D

After the ashes tour there is one comparison I can make and that is the cricketers are picking up the DISCUSTING habit that the American baseball players have:- A mouthful of shit (chewing tobacco in the US and gum for the cricketers) and spitting everywhere. They look like bloody cows chewing on their cudd and doesn't do anything for either sport.

I have absolutely no knowledge of Cricket, except it's that "English game" that Rich people over there play

Wrong: actually it's a sport that even the poorest play. All you need for the basic street cricket is a stick( bat) and a tin can ( ball) That's how they learn to play in the Windies, and that is what a lot of poor kids are doing back home after the brilliant Ashes series. Nearly every village in England has it's own cricket team, and the game goes through all the different styles and venues, from the tin can & stick in downtown Kingston, to the World wide clamour and excitement of the Ashes series at Lords. It's a sport as old as, if not older than football. It used to be only colonial nations that played it, with the exception of Canada, who opted for another English sport, Ice Hockey. No-one assossiates Ice Hockey with England any more, but it was introduced to the World by the British Army with nothing better to do on the frozen wastes of the St Lawrence River.

Now-a-days of course Cricket is becoming ever popular among the lesser European nations, with teams from Holland and Denmark reguarly competing in English competitions, and Danes and Dutchies actually playing in the English league. Even Scotland has a team, which can't be said about football. :o

I have absolutely no knowledge of Cricket, except it's that "English game" that Rich people over there play

Wrong: actually it's a sport that even the poorest play. All you need for the basic street cricket is a stick( bat) and a tin can ( ball) That's how they learn to play in the Windies, and that is what a lot of poor kids are doing back home after the brilliant Ashes series. Nearly every village in England has it's own cricket team, and the game goes through all the different styles and venues, from the tin can & stick in downtown Kingston, to the World wide clamour and excitement of the Ashes series at Lords. It's a sport as old as, if not older than football. It used to be only colonial nations that played it, with the exception of Canada, who opted for another English sport, Ice Hockey. No-one assossiates Ice Hockey with England any more, but it was introduced to the World by the British Army with nothing better to do on the frozen wastes of the St Lawrence River.

Now-a-days of course Cricket is becoming ever popular among the lesser European nations, with teams from Holland and Denmark reguarly competing in English competitions, and Danes and Dutchies actually playing in the English league. Even Scotland has a team, which can't be said about football. :o

Last time i looked in an atlas the St. Lawrence River was in Canada, Lampard.

Your clutching at straws a bit to claim Ice Hockey as a British sport.

:D:D Well done! I'm sure Lampy knows this as he was referring to when the British were stationed over there many eons ago and introduced the sport.

Village cricket match 'erupted after tosser jibe'

The tranquillity of a cricket match between village teams was shattered when a player used his bat to fell a schoolboy who had just clean bowled him, a court heard yesterday.

A melee on the field was followed by further violence in the pavilion as residents of the Cambridgeshire village of Elsworth played host to Cambridge St Giles in August last year. With the home team four wickets down and needing 150 to win, Michael Butt, 32, faced 14-year-old Joshua Fay, a jury at Cambridge Crown Court was told. The teenager took Butt's wicket and, as the batsman walked off, muttered at him.

Michael and Andrew Butt

Joshua, whose bowling had suffered at Butt's hands, claimed that he said: "Hit that." According to Butt, he muttered: "Tosser."

Michael Procter, prosecuting, told the jury that Butt then knocked the boy down with his bat and began raining blows on him as he lay on the pitch. Spectators and other players rushed to separate them and Butt began hitting out at anyone who approached him.

Andrew Butt, 43, his brother and team-mate who has an artificial leg, weighed in on his brother's side.

Joshua's father, Edward, who had been watching from his car, ran on to the field, worried about his son's safety.

Mr Procter said: "Michael Butt had been restrained at this point but was still behaving in an aggressive way when he was confronted by Edward Fay. It is alleged that he broke free and punched and kicked Edward Fay."

Team-mates eventually ushered the brothers into the pavilion. But Mr Procter said that, once inside, Andrew Butt "pursued and grabbed" Christopher Meddle, the father of another Cambridge St Giles player, and repeatedly punched and kicked him.

Giving evidence via a video link, Joshua, now 16, said that Michael Butt had "completely lost it". The schoolboy, who plays cricket and rugby for his county, admitted that he had felt a bit frustrated after Butt had "smacked me for a few sixes and things like that". But he denied calling Butt a tosser.

"I just said 'Hit that' under my breath in celebration," he said. "He turned around and said: 'What did you call me? You called me a tosser.' He hit me with the bat. It wasn't a full swing. It hit me on my lower back. I fell to the ground and the next thing he was on top of me, punching me in the face. He hit me five or six times around my face. It took everyone on the pitch to control him and his brother."

Lynn Tayton, defending Michael Butt, suggested to Joshua that it was common at all levels of cricket to indulge in "sledging - saying things to put the other team off". She also suggested that members of the Cambridge St Giles team had used terms such as "chavs" and "numpties" to describe their opponents.

Joshua told her: "The people I play with are not that kind of people. They are respectable people."

Michael and Andrew Butt, of St Ives, Cambs, deny affray. Michael Butt also denies common assault on Edward Fay and his brother denies common assault on Christopher Meddle and damaging Mr Meddle's rugby shirt.

At an earlier hearing Michael Butt admitted causing actual bodily harm to Joshua.

The trial continues.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/di...ic11.xml&site=5

:D:D Well done! I'm sure Lampy knows this as he was referring to when the British were stationed over there many eons ago and introduced the sport.

FYI , jacr ice hockey originated at Mcgill University. Nothing whatsoever to do with the British Army.

I would go with Shadies explanation as he would've been actually stationed there at the time :D

but in cricket they have to deal balls coming at them at 95+ MPH as well as movement off the ground. I would love to see D Jeta, A Rod, etc play cricket to see if they could adapt their skills. Jeta obviously would be a brilliant cover fielder but could he bat? likewise I would love see Tandulkar, Flintoff play the other game. I think the fans of both games, given the chance could really appreciate each others sport.

If you didn't know, numerous pitchers in baseball have 95+mph fastballs.

Nolan Ryan routinely exceeded 100 mph. Several ballplayers have had

career-ending injuries from being hit in the head...even with baseball's more protective headgear. It's a dangerous sport in that regard on the major league level.

I will say cricket throwers do have that intimidating run up with to the batter with their arms winding it up before hurtling it at them full force... :D It's fun to watch and I think that's impressive of the batsman to stand his ground and face that.

The REALLY interesting matchups are the unique ones physically to baseball. I'm wondering what a huge Mark McGuire or a Jose Conseco could do with a cricket ball hitting it with all their strength. What's the dimension of a cricket field and their stadiums? He's hit many home runs 500 feet and many completely out of stadiums. I've never seen cricket players of their size and sheer strength.

In cricket however, you don't have the other baseball extreme. The huge fat bellies of some baseball players, but could still outstanding baseball, like pitcher Mickey Lolich. Cricket players on the whole I would say are more fit, but the 2 extremes of baseball is what would be fantastic to watch in matchups.

:D

ohh... and btw, the players I mention are much superior to the ones like Jeter and A Rod... your players are current ones while all the ones I've noted are retired... but after the those 2 Yankees bowed out weakly in the recent playoff series, they too might as well be retired... :D

with special note to Narachon......: double :D

long live both sports

:o

but in cricket they have to deal balls coming at them at 95+ MPH as well as movement off the ground. I would love to see D Jeta, A Rod, etc play cricket to see if they could adapt their skills. Jeta obviously would be a brilliant cover fielder but could he bat? likewise I would love see Tandulkar, Flintoff play the other game. I think the fans of both games, given the chance could really appreciate each others sport.

career-ending injuries from being hit in the head...even with baseball's more protective headgear. It's a dangerous sport in that regard on the major league level.

I will say cricket throwers do have that intimidating run up with to the batter with their arms winding it up before hurtling it at them full force... :D It's fun to watch and I think that's impressive of the batsman to stand his ground and face that.

The REALLY interesting matchups are the unique ones physically to baseball. I'm wondering what a huge Mark McGuire or a Jose Conseco could do with a cricket ball hitting it with all their strength. What's the dimension of a cricket field and their stadiums? He's hit many home runs 500 feet and many completely out of stadiums. I've never seen cricket players of their size and sheer strength.

In cricket however, you don't have the other baseball extreme. The huge fat bellies of some baseball players, but could still outstanding baseball, like pitcher Mickey Lolich. Cricket players on the whole I would say are more fit, but the 2 extremes of baseball is what would be fantastic to watch in matchups.

ohh... and btw, the players I mention are much superior to the ones like Jeter and A Rod... your players are current ones while all the ones I've noted are retired... but after the those 2 Yankees bowed out weakly in the recent playoff series, they too might as well be retired... :D

long live both sports

:o

FYI , jacr ice hockey originated at Mcgill University. Nothing whatsoever to do with the British Army.

Whatever you want to believe Bruce. I expect some college or body eventually codified the game in Canada but the fundamentals were brought there long before. It would seem surprising that the Canadians actually came up with a half decent game all by themselves, unlike the aussies, as virtually every other real sport and game in the world comes from the Brits, eh ozziedom :D:D:D

Not really as England owned the world in those days. We used to hang everybody that stepped out of line, till some bright spark suggested we put them all in a boat and ship them round the world. We was going to go out hunting them at one stage, till someone else found there were too many foxes in England. As I said before, on the first Australian ship, a couple of Dockers that used to play cricket in their dinner hour, left their gear on board when she sailed. When they got to Circular Quay, the Abbo foreman found it, rounded up a few Greeks, Slavs and Poles and so cricket was born in Oz. The first international stadium was in fact in Alice Springs, but was moved after all the Ozzies found that by the time they had got there on the second day, England had won the match and everyone was in the boozer.

Whatever you want to believe Bruce. I expect some college or body eventually codified the game in Canada but the fundamentals were brought there long before. It would seem surprising that the Canadians actually came up with a half decent game all by themselves, unlike the aussies, as virtually every other real sport and game in the world comes from the Brits, eh ozziedom :D:D:D

Nah JR ,others dream them up we Aussies perfect them, of course we have our own Aussie Rules ,the best football code in the world, and of course theres,swy or two-up which requires more mental aptitude than most Brits can muster, then theres nullah-nullah donging and boomerang tossing and hiding the sausage ,all far to complex for the average soapie :D

[Nah JR ,others dream them up we Aussies perfect them, of course we have our own Aussie Rules ,the best football code in the world, and of course theres,swy or two-up which requires more mental aptitude than most Brits can muster, then theres nullah-nullah donging and boomerang tossing and hiding the sausage ,all far to complex for the average soapie :o

I know. You're right of course. My mate spent 20 years in nick and he knew everything when he came out.

The history of ice hockey is one of the most contested in all of sports. The city of Montreal had been traditionally credited with being the birthplace of hockey, but early paintings contest this claim; a 16th-century Dutch painting shows a number of townsfolk playing a hockey-like game on a frozen canal. Kingston, Ontario and Windsor, Nova Scotia also lay claim to its origins for similar reasons. The origin of the word hockey is officially unknown, but may derive from the Old French word hoquet, shepherd's crook.........

Here is the link to the rest.... wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey

When Great Britain conquered Canada from France in 1763, soldiers used their knowledge of field hockey and the physically aggressive aspects of what the Mi'kmaq Aboriginal First Nation in Nova Scotia called dehuntshigwa'es (lacrosse). As Canadian winters are long and harsh, new winter sports were always welcomed. Using cheese cutters strapped to their boots, both English- and French-speaking Canadians played the game on frozen rivers, lakes, and ponds. Early paintings show hockey being played in Nova Scotia, as well as in the state of Virginia in the United States.

When Great Britain conquered Canada from France in 1763, soldiers used their knowledge of field hockey and the physically aggressive aspects of what the Mi'kmaq Aboriginal First Nation in Nova Scotia called dehuntshigwa'es (lacrosse). As Canadian winters are long and harsh, new winter sports were always welcomed. Using cheese cutters strapped to their boots, both English- and French-speaking Canadians played the game on frozen rivers, lakes, and ponds. Early paintings show hockey being played in Nova Scotia, as well as in the state of Virginia in the United States.

Told yer :o

[Nah JR ,others dream them up we Aussies perfect them, of course we have our own Aussie Rules ,the best football code in the world, and of course theres,swy or two-up which requires more mental aptitude than most Brits can muster, then theres nullah-nullah donging and boomerang tossing and hiding the sausage ,all far to complex for the average soapie :o

I know. You're right of course. My mate spent 20 years in nick and he knew everything when he came out.

There you go Lamp I,m wrong again,heres me thinking Brits were born know-alls, when all the time you get the knowledge doing porridge. :D

Nah JR ,others dream them up we Aussies perfect them, of course we have our own Aussie Rules ,the best football code in the world, and of course theres,swy or two-up which requires more mental aptitude than most Brits can muster, then theres nullah-nullah donging and boomerang tossing and hiding the sausage ,all far to complex for the average soapie :D

Ashes anyone :D

See you Saturday, mate :D

Sure thing mate, I only have internet access till Sunday so I,m trying to do a bit of stirring but nobody takes me serious,aint it a bummer being a nice bloke :D

Now-a-days of course Cricket is becoming ever popular among the lesser European nations, with teams from Holland and Denmark reguarly competing in English competitions, and Danes and Dutchies actually playing in the English league. Even Scotland has a team, which can't be said about football.

:lol:Well done! I'm sure Lampy knows this as he was referring to when the British were stationed over there many eons ago and introduced the sport.

Whatever you want to believe Bruce. I expect some college or body eventually codified the game in Canada but the fundamentals were brought there long before. It would seem surprising that the Canadians actually came up with a half decent game all by themselves, unlike the aussies, as virtually every other real sport and game in the world comes from the Brits, eh ozziedom :o:D:D

Nah JR ,others dream them up we Aussies perfect them, of course we have our own Aussie Rules ,the best football code in the world, and of course theres,swy or two-up which requires more mental aptitude than most Brits can muster, then theres nullah-nullah donging and boomerang tossing and hiding the sausage ,all far to complex for the average soapie

Sure thing mate, I only have internet access till Sunday so I,m trying to do a bit of stirring but nobody takes me serious,aint it a bummer being a nice bloke :D

Don't ask me, I'm a nasty pasty :D

How come no net after Sunday, are you going back to Tassy :D . Sorry mate, couldn't resist :D

Now-a-days of course Cricket is becoming ever popular among the lesser European nations, with teams from Holland and Denmark reguarly competing in English competitions, and Danes and Dutchies actually playing in the English league. Even Scotland has a team, which can't be said about football.

:lol:Well done! I'm sure Lampy knows this as he was referring to when the British were stationed over there many eons ago and introduced the sport.

Whatever you want to believe Bruce. I expect some college or body eventually codified the game in Canada but the fundamentals were brought there long before. It would seem surprising that the Canadians actually came up with a half decent game all by themselves, unlike the aussies, as virtually every other real sport and game in the world comes from the Brits, eh ozziedom :o:D:D

Nah JR ,others dream them up we Aussies perfect them, of course we have our own Aussie Rules ,the best football code in the world, and of course theres,swy or two-up which requires more mental aptitude than most Brits can muster, then theres nullah-nullah donging and boomerang tossing and hiding the sausage ,all far to complex for the average soapie

Don't ask me, I'm a nasty pasty :D

How come no net after Sunday, are you going back to Tassy :D . Sorry mate, couldn't resist :D

Udon bound mate, new member of UdonWhoremongers Cricket Club (a lie ,but keeps post on topic) :D

Wrong: actually it's a sport that even the poorest play.

My mistake.

I guess you would know about that.... :D

Don't forget the British invented baseball too,

What next?

The British also invented Peanut Butter and the Atom?

....although we call it rounders and it's played by girls :D

Is that the only English sport played by girls?

I will say cricket throwers do have that intimidating run up with to the batter with their arms winding it up before hurtling it at them full force... It's fun to watch and I think that's impressive of the batsman to stand his ground and face that.

( You can say what you want to about A-Rod, but Derick DID great in the Postseason playoffs! )

Blah :D

Hey, wait 'till next year...... After Steinbrenner does some....... err..."Spring Cleaning".... :o

I will say cricket throwers do have that intimidating run up with to the batter with their arms winding it up before hurtling it at them full force... It's fun to watch and I think that's impressive of the batsman to stand his ground and face that.

( You can say what you want to about A-Rod, but Derick DID great in the Postseason playoffs! )

Blah :D

Hey, wait 'till next year...... After Steinbrenner does some....... err..."Spring Cleaning".... :o

and do what? Spend even MORE than the already highest paid team in baseball??

too bad the reverse couldn't be true... and the Yankees dump Steinbrenner:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Almost certain he's stepping down after 10 years as New York Yankees pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre had harsh words Wednesday for George Steinbrenner and the owner's treatment of manager Joe Torre.

Speaking in the Yankees clubhouse where he's spent 21 seasons as a player and coach, Stottlemyre said he interpreted Steinbrenner's statement following the Yankees' elimination by the Los Angeles Angels as a slap at Torre. Steinbrenner said Tuesday: ``I congratulate the Angels and their manager on the great job they've done.''

``I laughed when I saw it,'' Stottlemyre said. ``My first thoughts were, `What about Joe? Joe had done a hel_l of a job, too.' To congratulate the other manager and not congratulate your own after what he'd done this year, I laughed.''

I certainly agree with the dismal assessment of "A Rod":
Alex Rodriguez came to the coaches' room and apologized for his hitting .133 (2-for-15) with no RBIs in the playoffs

Probably kissed 2005 MVP award good-bye with that...

Other notable Yanks:

Hideki Matsui .200 with 1 rbi

Bernie Williams .211 with 1 rbi

Tino Martinez .000 by going 0 for 8

sheesh... what's the combined salary of just those guys?

anyways, as ya say.... next year... for everyone...

baseball's great

cricket is an interesting game. However, I don't have 3-5 days at 6 hours a day to watch a match. I thought baseball took a long time when we had a 5 hour 18 inning game the other day. Perhaps the English have too much time on their hands. Just kidding. With regards to the guts it takes to play cricket, it is obviously a hard throwing game. With baseball you can have near 100 mph or over, ie Nolan Ryan. It is routine to throw up the ladder at a batter who crowds the plate. In high school or college, the ball comes off the aluminum bat at such speeds that several pitchers are seriously injured or killed each year.

One thing should be absolutely clear, cricket and baseball are both far superior to futbol/soccer. That is a nancy boy sport if ever there was one. Soccer/futbol players throw like girls.

Hey, wait 'till next year...... After Steinbrenner does some....... err..."Spring Cleaning"....  :o

and do what? Spend even MORE than the already highest paid team in baseball??

too bad the reverse couldn't be true... and the Yankees dump Steinbrenner:

No Chance of that...Unless he decides to sell the team, which I don't think he will ever do while he is alive..... :D

NEW YORK (AP) -- Almost certain he's stepping down after 10 years as New York Yankees pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre had harsh words Wednesday for George Steinbrenner and the owner's treatment of manager Joe Torre.

Speaking in the Yankees clubhouse where he's spent 21 seasons as a player and coach, Stottlemyre said he interpreted Steinbrenner's statement following the Yankees' elimination by the Los Angeles Angels as a slap at Torre. Steinbrenner said Tuesday: ``I congratulate the Angels and their manager on the great job they've done.''

``I laughed when I saw it,'' Stottlemyre said. ``My first thoughts were, `What about Joe? Joe had done a hel_l of a job, too.' To congratulate the other manager and not congratulate your own after what he'd done this year, I laughed.''

It's going to be very sad to see Stottlemyre go - Been with the Yankees many years as a player ( He is a Yankee through and Through ), Pitching coach for ten years. And I'm sure he and Torre were the main reasons that the Yanks managed to even make it to the playoffs, how bad this season was for them.

Guess who also may be leaving....

girardi_inline101105.jpg

Giardi may be going to a new job in Florida, so the rumors say...... :D:D

I certainly agree with the dismal assessment of "A Rod"
Alex Rodriguez came to the coaches' room and apologized for his hitting .133 (2-for-15) with no RBIs in the playoffs

Probably kissed 2005 MVP award good-bye with that...

He proabably will still get it. Remember, they award the MVP for how well a player does during the regular season, not how bad he does during the Postseason during clutch moments... :D

Other notable Yanks:

Hideki Matsui .200  with 1 rbi

Bernie Williams .211 with 1 rbi

Tino Martinez .000 by going 0 for 8

sheesh... what's the combined salary of just those guys?

Matsui is usually one of the Yankees' best hitters with runners on base, but during the ALDS , he stranded eight by himself, including three in scoring position with two out. He is a free agent next season, so if the Yanks renews his contract , he may take over Bernies position....

And I am pretty sure this is Bernies last season playing , he is an old man for baseball ( even though he is exactly my age! :D ) playing with the Yanks for 15 years. Too bad he did not have a chance to go into the sunset with a World Series win like Paul O'neil did... :D

As for Tino.... :D

tino_inline_101305.jpg

Like Matsui, he is a free agent, and he may or may not be asked to come back by King George....

anyways, as ya say.... next year... for everyone...

baseball's great

Yeah, wait 'till next year..... :D