The Eriksson Thread

O.K. So we made it to the World Cup. Fantastic, and last nights football was what we have waited to see from England. Now, i'm not going to get on Eriksson's back but, honestly, with a team like we have got, we don't need a manager :o I could have managed that team last night and got a result. How, by telling them to go out and play like we know they can.......................and not meddle anymore!!

He picked a great Team. Wright-Phillips gave width on the right. Rooney, Lampard, Owen, Young, King, Terry...they all had a great game and had Poland under the cosh from the kick-off. So, what does Sven do.....he substitutes Wright-Phillips for "Crouch" :D Jenas on for Owen (why give the Captaincy to someone your going to substitute? it should have been Terry's anyway) and then Smith for Cole. I was absolutely flabbergasted, we lost all of our shape and left a big hole down the right where Wright should have been and where we had been making a huge impact. It got to the stage where Poland had 2 men marking Shaun, so why take him off?

My question is......Why does Sven have to meddle with the Team so much? I think we now have 5 friendlies before the World Cup. Is Sven going to carry on meddling or is he going to take these 5 games seriously and play the Team we need for next year?

Edited by mrbojangles

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are joking aren't you? We laboured against a distinctly uninterested Polish side in a game that was only slightly more significant than a friendly.

With the exception of Rooney we had no creativity in the final third and our attacks were predictable. The ball was given away with inexcusable frequency, despite the fact that the Poles showed little interest in closing us down and making it hard to play.

Poland are not a great team, and if we play that side in the world cup we will be murdered by the better sides we will face. King was steady enough, but gave the ball away too easily and was never put under any real pressure. He is not the answer. Lampard is good at getting into the box and scoring goals, but cannot impose himself on the game and dictate the play. His passing whilst accurate, is not incisive in the final third. Joe Cole is not good enough at this level. I like Wright Philips, but can't quite justify him replacing Beckham yet.

Personally, i saw more to be optomistic about in the first half against Austria than i did in the match last night. Had the Poles have had any ambition about them last night it is not inconceivable that they could have nicked the game. In the end, we did and deservedly so, but we are a long way from having a team good enough to compete in Germany.

I hope Eriksson uses those friendlies wisely and comes up with some answers, but i'm starting to think it's a bit too late. Every new idea that is tried is given 90 minutes and then binned.

You are joking aren't you? We laboured against a distinctly uninterested Polish side in a game that was only slightly more significant than a friendly.

With the exception of Rooney we had no creativity in the final third and our attacks were predictable. The ball was given away with inexcusable frequency, despite the fact that the Poles showed little interest in closing us down and making it hard to play.

Your having a laugh. That was 250% better than Saturday. It wasn't a friendly, the winner would top the table and be seeded, making the Group stage next year easier. Everything was still there to play for and we out played them. Give the lads the credit they deserve. You could even tell the difference between last night and saturday by the crowds reactions.

Poland are not very good and did not look interested. The media are only bigging up the performance because they know they were too heavy handed in their response to the match on Saturday. They are cutting an experimental side some slack.

I find it hard to believe anyone is genuinely enthused by watching us score a late winner at home, in a game we would expect to win comfortably. That team will not be picked again by Sven, and with good reasons.

Do you seriously think the football we played last night was of sufficient quality to have any chance of success in the world cup?? If so, then you have obviously not seen much of the teams we will be facing next summer.

By all means congratulate the players on their victory, and on winning the group. But the group was a gift in terms of the quality of opposition. The team last night would not be good enough come next summer.

Do you seriously think the football we played last night was of sufficient quality to have any chance of success in the world cup.

Don't forget Eddie, I'm a Man City fan, so I'm the forever "Optomist" :o

I think we're better off going into next year, slightly subdued. I get fed up of the press etc. building us up and putting pressure on the team. I do, however, honestly think that on "paper" we have a fantasic squad (except for Crouch). We've just got to get them to gel now.

im not really a sport fan (yes.. love to see tennis..and some other big events sport game as olymic ..ect)

but if i had a BF, Hubby ..and he addicts with Soccor Game in tv , I could really upset...and might try to do something as ago-go dance or striptease for fight with that tv's program :o

anyhow .. that guy might kick me and said ... stop doing crazy .. you are so annoying!! :D:D:D

Bamball :D

Believe it or not, i have always been an optomist where England are concerned. I always believe that with a little luck we might be able to win the major honours.

But i have never felt less optomistic about a coming campaign than i do about this one. We are poor. With the players at our disposal we should be better than we are, but i don't subscribe to the media's views that we have a squad of worldbeaters who just can't quite get it together.

Eriksson is clueless, and should have been relieved of his responsibilities after the Euro championship. He has no idea how to craft a team out of what is at his disposal and is too easily led by the media. He doesn't have the bottle to make big decisions, and seems to favour trying to appease those who will criticise him instead.

On the subject of Crouch, i think he is getting far too hard a time from people. He's being made a scapegoat and the guy has only played a couple of games. If the crowd booing when he was introduced last night was actually aimed at him, as has been suggested in some quarters, then it is an absolute disgrace and makes me ashamed to be an England fan. He is good enough for the squad, given the alternatives, and provides us with a useful variation to our play, rather than everything going along the deck and through the centre.

im not  really  a  sport fan (yes.. love to see tennis..and  some other big events sport game as olymic ..ect) 

but if  i had a  BF, Hubby ..and  he addicts with  Soccor Game in tv ,  I could really upset...and  might try to do  something as ago-go dance or  striptease for  fight with that tv's program :o

anyhow .. that guy might  kick me  and  said ... stop doing crazy .. you are so annoying!! :D  :D  :D

Bamball :D

I think he just might, you'll have to be careful with that one :D

All women need to learn that during a football match is not a good time for distractions.

I think he just might, you'll have to be careful with that one  :D

All women need to learn that during a football match is not a good time for distractions.

its hard for us women ya know... we just need some attentions :D:D

when you guys stick with soccer game .. better talk/hug/kiss with girl a bit

dont make us feel like "alone in the universe"

we can understand guys ...

well .. just please us alil wee

Bambi :o

its  hard  for  us  women ya  know... we  just  need  some  attentions :D  :D

when you guys stick with soccer game .. better  talk/hug/kiss with girl a bit

dont make  us feel like "alone  in the  universe"

we can  understand guys ...

It only lasts for 90 minutes, surely you can wait that long :D

its  hard  for  us  women ya  know... we  just  need  some  attentions :D  :D

when you guys stick with soccer game .. better  talk/hug/kiss with girl a bit

dont make  us feel like "alone  in the  universe"

we can  understand guys ...

It only lasts for 90 minutes, surely you can wait that long :D

no no no no...ditto no

i dont wanna miss a thing even 1 second ..lol :D:D

its not just 90 mins .... bit it is "90 mins" !!!!!!!!!!! rigor mortis already hahahha

bambi :D:D

Eriksson is clueless, and should have been relieved of his responsibilities after the Euro championship. He has no idea how to craft a team out of what is at his disposal and is too easily led by the media. He doesn't have the bottle to make big decisions, and seems to favour trying to appease those who will criticise him instead.

I 100% agree with you there Eddie

Con anyone join this fast eddie v bojangles kick about

The more the merrier :D

Absolutely lamps :o

no no no no...ditto no

i dont wanna  miss a  thing even 1 second ..lol :D  :D

its not just 90 mins .... bit it  is  "90 mins" !!!!!!!!!!!  rigor mortis already  hahahha

Bambi, when football is on, i do some exercises with Mrs BoJangles about an hour before the game. :o Then she goes for a little nap and wakes up when the game is finished :D

O.K. So we made it to the World Cup. Fantastic, and last nights football was what we have waited to see from England. Now, i'm not going to get on Eriksson's back but, honestly, with a team like we have got, we don't need a manager  :o I could have managed that team last night and got a result. How, by telling them to go out and play like we know they can.......................and not meddle anymore!!

He picked a great Team. Wright-Phillips gave width on the right. Rooney, Lampard, Owen, Young, King, Terry...they all had a great game and had Poland under the cosh from the kick-off. So, what does Sven do.....he substitutes Wright-Phillips for "Crouch" :D Jenas on for Owen (why give the Captaincy to someone your going to substitute? it should have been Terry's anyway) and then Smith for Cole. I was absolutely flabbergasted, we lost all of our shape and left a big hole down the right where Wright should have been and where we had been making a huge impact. It got to the stage where Poland had 2 men marking Shaun, so why take him off?

My question is......Why does Sven have to meddle with the Team so much? I think we now have 5 friendlies before the World Cup. Is Sven going to carry on meddling or is he going to take these 5 games seriously and play the Team we need for next year?

I would agree with just about everything on this post.

side in a game that was only slightly more significant than a friendly
That statement couldn't be any more wrong. As Mr. Bojangles quite rightly pointed out it was to win the group and be seeded for the compititon. Also, the Poles made quite a lot of bold comments before the game, after making such comments I highly doubt they just turned up with no intentions of backing up their claims, that would only be humiliating themselves.
if we play that side in the world cup we will be murdered by the better sides we will face
I would also have to disagree with this statement. I think that side has a lot of potential and is possibly one of the top 5 sides on paper in Germany, certainly in the top 10.
The media are only bigging up the performance because they know they were too heavy handed in their response to the match on Saturday
What? The British media looking for excuses to praise Sven? yeah, right!
I find it hard to believe anyone is genuinely enthused by watching us score a late winner at home, in a game we would expect to win comfortably
I'm starting to think you aren't much of a football fan? i.e. don't really follow a club team? Sunderland is a team we (Newcastle) are expected to beat, however if we were to score a late winner vs. them and for no geordie to be enthusiastic, well, is beyond comprehension, any victory that comes our way I for sure will be happy about.
do, however, honestly think that on "paper" we have a fantasic squad
I agree, on paper I think our squad is perhaps second to non
With the players at our disposal we should be better than we are
Finally, we agree on something :D I think with the players we have, we should be the best in the world
If the crowd booing when he was introduced last night was actually aimed at him, as has been suggested in some quarters, then it is an absolute disgrace
I agree again, for supporters to single out an individual player and 'boo' him is a disgrace, even if he has had a bad game, but to 'boo' him before he has even kicked a ball (particularly when he was one of our better players in our last game) well, is frankly disgusting.

Well, that is about all I have to offer for now.

I'm sorry mate, but if you think that then you obviously either don't watch a lot of football, or you are too easily convinced by the overhype that the English media applies to almost all of our players.

I am an England fan, but i am realistic about what i watch. Will you still hold your same opinions about the team last night if they get turned over in their next game?

Poland are a poor team, whichever way you want to look at it. It is extremely unlikely that they will be challengers in next years world cup. That England team last night would be beaten comfortably by one of the top sides.

Don't get too carried away.

It was a decent performance and England topped the group.

Supposedly better sides have only come second in their groups.

Work still needs to be done but I think England have a decent chance.

Remember Beckham, Gerrard, Campbell sat the game out , we have quality in depth , I think tactics could be better , but the main thing is we have some time and we have qualified.

So stop yer moanin....... :D

:o

ps Crouch? ...........Nahhhh

Edited by chonabot

It was a decent performance and England topped the group.

Supposedly better sides have only come second in their groups.

Work still needs to be done but I think England have a decent chance.

Remember Beckham, Gerrard, Campbell sat the game out , we have quality in depth , I think tactics could be better , but the main thing is we have some time and we have qualified.

So stop yer moanin....... :D

ps Crouch?  ...........Nahhhh

There is the irony,eriksson didn't make any great decicions his hand was forced .We can play better without some of our star players than with,had beckam,gerrard and campbell been available the swede wouldn't have made any changes.

Will he give the same startin' eleven another chance to shine - I doubt it.

I'm sorry mate, but if you think that then you obviously either don't watch a lot of football, or you are too easily convinced by the overhype that the English media applies to almost all of our players.

I am an England fan, but i am realistic about what i watch. Will you still hold your same opinions about the team last night if they get turned over in their next game?

Poland are a poor team, whichever way you want to look at it. It is extremely unlikely that they will be challengers in next years world cup. That England team last night would be beaten comfortably by one of the top sides.

Our first 11 on paper:

Robinson

G. Neville

Terry

Woodgate (in my opinion) shame he is never fit. Put who you like there, Ferdinand, Campbell, whoever

A. Cole

Beckham

Lampard

Gerrard

J. Cole (I guess)

Owen

Rooney

That is Englands team on paper, you find me a better one.

Our first 11 on paper:

Robinson

G. Neville

Terry

Woodgate (in my opinion) shame he is never fit. Put who you like there, Ferdinand, Campbell, whoever

A. Cole

Beckham

Lampard

Gerrard

J. Cole (I guess)

Owen

Rooney

That is Englands team on paper, you find me a better one.

James

P.Neville

Crouch

I'll get me coat

ps I think King has a place in the team , the problem with England is we usually have 2 players available in the same position , but a lack of players in another ( ifunowotimean) :D

Edited by chonabot

"Eriksson is clueless, and should have been relieved of his responsibilities after the Euro championship. He has no idea how to craft a team out of what is at his disposal and is too easily led by the media. He doesn't have the bottle to make big decisions, and seems to favour trying to appease those who will criticise him instead."

"I 100% agree with you there Eddie"

I would disagree with both of you on that point. Take a look at Eriksson's past achievements. He has done well wherever he has managed. If the above statement was true then Eriksson must be the luckiest manager alive. You say he is "too easily led by the media", maybe its you who is led too easily.

"Eriksson is clueless, and should have been relieved of his responsibilities after the Euro championship. He has no idea how to craft a team out of what is at his disposal and is too easily led by the media. He doesn't have the bottle to make big decisions, and seems to favour trying to appease those who will criticise him instead."

"I 100% agree with you there Eddie"

I would disagree with both of you on that point. Take a look at Eriksson's past achievements. He has done well wherever he has managed. If the above statement was true then Eriksson must be the luckiest manager alive. You say he is "too easily led by the media", maybe its you who is led too easily.

The point i was making Pablo, is that, with the quality of players he has at his disposal, they have ground out results in spite of him meddling and not having a clue. So IMHO, yes your right, he is the luckiest manager alive :o

Hi Mr BJ,

Nothing to do with this subject, just a message between Man City devotees, do you subscribe (free) to MAN CITY INFO VIA THE ALPS newsletter http://www.uit.no/mancity/mcivta/ - its issued twice a week and has all the City news and fans opinions. Its very good.

PS. Thought Rio looked a bit dodgy the other night; and yes it was a better display. The Poles are no mugs as their record in the group shows. Personally i enjoyed watching the U21's the night before (see Nedum's in the U21's now, he's on his way...)

Hi Mr BJ,

Nothing to do with this subject, just a message between Man City devotees, do you subscribe (free) to MAN CITY INFO VIA THE ALPS newsletter  http://www.uit.no/mancity/mcivta/ - its issued twice a week and has all the City news and fans opinions. Its very good.

PS. Thought Rio looked a bit dodgy the other night; and yes it was a better display. The Poles are no mugs as their record in the group shows. Personally i enjoyed watching the U21's the night before (see Nedum's in the U21's now, he's on his way...)

Hi Bred, no i don't receive the news letter. Cheers, i'll get my subscription sorted.

As for Rio, i agree, he's been looking dodgy ever since they started to pay him £120k per week :o:D

My God.....

Lampard, Pie Boy etc...listen to this lone voice of reason....

Con anyone join this fast eddie v bojangles kick about

Count me in....

I love reading how BJangles thinks that he can do a better job than the England manager :D ( he sounds like Pie Boy ).......its so easy to sit on the fence and shout....isnt it Lampard :o

Get out of this thread, Super_Shite and back into your dreaming "Aussie world cup" thread. This one is for people who know about FOOTBALL (not SOCCER) :D:D:D

P.S. If you look at the context of that statement. I said with players he has "EVEN" i could manage the team. In other words "ANYBODY" could :D

Edited by mrbojangles