Fishermans Village?Bohphut

Hi GuysDon't want to be a pain...just been offfered a job in Bohput area...is it a feasible area to live or beter off comuting from somewhere else.? Some constructive advice would be cool....also need a car to rent.....coming from Phuket, better off to rent here and drive or fly and take one there.?..can get a Vios here for about 12k a month.Many thanks in advance

Bophut is - for me - one of the nicest areas to live in. It has everything nearby, and with a car you will have no problems. Plenty of places to rent to suit any budget, as well as a good choice of places to eat, drink and shop.

I would be surprised if you could rent a car in Phuket and bring it here anyway, but you should have no problem getting hold of something once you are here.:D

Personally I wouldnt live in Fishermans Village its a great place to be near but depending on your preferences I think you'll find much better accommodation in surrounding areas for a more reasonable price. Come and have a look round, plenty of places to rent for all budgets and loads of car rental here too.

Fisherman's village/Bophut is a great little place with just two downsides.

More expensive to eat and drink (mostly for tourists)

Higher than average crime rate for the island. (The local lags know that there are a lot of rich farangs living there.) To put this in perspective - there is not much crime here on Samui - just that FV/Bophut is a favourite place for them.

Good advice above from Tony. Car hire is a similar price here but the roads are worse than Phuket - get a Suzuki Caribean or Vitara. Low cars with farings and 'go faster bits' tend to loose them here. :unsure:

By the way - the village has a 'walking' street on a Friday night. you cannot get a car near the place.

Edited by Tropicalevo

I seen some people use the Bophut address covering the whole area through bank rak, choeng mon, and into Chaweng, infact technically I think it is the correct addressing. Are you sure its in/near fisherman's village (what most people generally refer to as Bophut)

i like fishermans village a lot but i can't honestly remember the last time i spent a single baht in there. can't drive through, nobody has any parking even if i could drive through and even if i could drive through and could find some parking, there isn't enough local promotion from any of the businesses inside to alert me to any upcoming events, promotions, specials etc.

walking street is an absolute nightmare in there, in fishermans village in particular it repels me rather than attracts me. i make sure to be nowhere near there on friday afternoons. i'd say it's a shame but perhaps it's got such a nice feel to it due to all of the above?

It used to be sleepy full of character and reasonably priced. Now its more San Antonio in October.....

hey smokie i used to live in austin and travel to san antonio quite a bit but i can't remember what october has going for it?

It used to be sleepy full of character and reasonably priced. Now its more San Antonio in October.....

hey smokie i used to live in austin and travel to san antonio quite a bit but i can't remember what october has going for it?

Ahh....I always preferred Santa Eulalia....or Ibiza town on a Saturday night....colourful shall we say...biggrin.gif

FV is cute,good restaurants,but priced for tourist couples and families..............................not much to do for a full blooded single male.

Precisely. :lol:

I seen some people use the Bophut address covering the whole area through bank rak, choeng mon, and into Chaweng, infact technically I think it is the correct addressing. Are you sure its in/near fisherman's village (what most people generally refer to as Bophut)

You are correct there devdrinker. Bophut in the address usually means Tambon Bophut. This runs from south of Chewang (beyond the other side of the entrance to Jungle Club from memory and then covers the NE peninsular all of the way to Maenam.

So Bophut covers all of the villages up there