Thai Study Highlights Perils Of Boozing

webfact

Study highlights perils of boozing

By The Nation

Heavy drinking has contributed to more than 100,000 divorces and separations, while also causing 13,000 deaths and leaving more than a million injured, a news conference publicising the coming National AlcoholFree Day was told yesterday.

Statistics of the number of breakups of couples gathered three years ago showed a threefold increase over the figure 24 years ago, mainly as a result of domestic violence stemming from heavy drinking by the men, Public Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Siriwat Thiptharadol.

National AlcoholFree Day is on the annual Buddhist Lent Day, which falls on July 16 this year. It is followed by a threemonth alcoholbreak period, which also corresponds with the threemonth Buddhist Lent.

According to a study, families with regular to heavy drinkers are four times as prone to domestic violence and other relationship problems than normal families. Drunk driving, which is responsible for 48 per cent of road accidents, kills 13,000 people and injures a million on average each year.

In addition to election days and the Buddhist Lent Day, sale of liquor is prohibited on three other Buddhist holidays in Thailand under a campaign by authorities to discourage drinking and drunk driving.

Drinking is the main reason for 35 per cent of sex crimes and 45 per cent of quarrels and assaults, and costs Bt100 billion in treatment for both crimerelated emergencies and chronic diseases such as alcoholism, intestinal cancer and liver failure associated with drinking.

The ministry repeated a warning on the ban on sale of alcohol also on July 15 - Asalha Puja Day - which is followed by a fourday holiday break this year, including a substitution day on the following Monday.

Statistics show that there are 14.9 million drinkers aged 15 years or older from a total of 51.2 million surveyed, with the number of men six times that of women.

A total of 238 stores and pubs were prosecuted for selling or serving liquor during prohibited hours and days last year, while another 1,941, 538 of which were based in Bangkok, were warned or received lighter penalties.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-29

The article only puts figures to what everyone knew already. The only answer I can think of is to make it much more expensive to get drunk... in that respect, Thailand must be one of the cheapest countries in the world relative to the people's incomes.

More alcohol bans at weekends. Don't waste time educating people on responsible drinking.

Heavy drinking has contributed to more than 100,000 divorces and separations, while also causing 13,000 deaths and leaving more than a million injured, a news conference publicising the coming National Alcohol Free Day was told yesterday.

Is the story about foreigners? Thought it would be much higher........................:jap:

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

The article only puts figures to what everyone knew already. The only answer I can think of is to make it much more expensive to get drunk... in that respect, Thailand must be one of the cheapest countries in the world relative to the people's incomes.

Learning through Forum there are so many big drinkers amongst them but not to say it's wrong, it's the ones who do not where to draw the line, or when to stop. suppose many think ---we don't want to offend so ==When in Rome do as Romans do :lol:== but here many Thais just drink through family teachings. Strong Laos whiskey at 95 bht a large bottle is not bad value if you want to be out of your head within 1/2 an hour. Triple the price for heavens sake.

Edited by ginjag

I congratulate the Thai publisher.

Education is a first step, granted a small one, in the fight for a healthier, happier drug free society.

When people realize the danger, and the damage done to themselves and others by drugs and alcohol, they may come to realize there is a better way without drugs. :whistling:

Edited by metisdead
Font normalized. Please use default forum font when posting.

I pretty much hate the stuff and what it does to people. Responsible drinkerscheesy.gif what does that mean? Seriously what's the difference? But that is not what I really wanted to say, that's not what i wanted to and you know man i really didn't mean to say that man am i sayingburp.gif

coffee1.gifWhy don't the political polls have numbers like this to show a clearer point of facts. Like this poll seems to have.offtopic2.gif

I congratulate the Thai publisher.

Education is a first step, granted a small one, in the fight for a healthier, happier drug free society.

When people realize the danger, and the damage done to themselves and others by drugs and alcohol, they may come to realize there is a better way without drugs. :whistling:

Unfortunetly man will always self medicate. people who realize that a clear mind is better in everyway have a hard time tolerating the pickled minds of alcohol, it is extremely hard for me to be around people like that, but in reality I should be helping them to find ways to get the same buzz out of life as they do drowning themselves into mindless stupidity. Something to think about.

Its as hideous as drugs...should be banned, nothing worse than standing next to someone on the BTS or a confined space and smelling the wreak of booze....disgusting habit...

It is much more worse if he / she is also a smoker, a booze and ashtray breath together is about as bad as it can get.

Its as hideous as drugs...should be banned, nothing worse than standing next to someone on the BTS or a confined space and smelling the wreak of booze....disgusting habit...

Congratulations, you get the idiot of the week award for the most innane post.

Alcohol is as bad as drugs? Ya-ba? Yet, alcohol is processed and treated by ones body as a food. Much like simple sugars.

Unlike your post, in moderation, alcohol is harmless and even beneficial. Harvard compiled a study on MODERATE drinkers vs. non-drinkers and found that NON-DRINKERS had a higher rate of heart disease.

Congratulations, you get the idiot of the week award for the most innane post.

Alcohol is as bad as drugs? Ya-ba? Yet, alcohol is processed and treated by ones body as a food. Much like simple sugars.

Unlike your post, in moderation, alcohol is harmless and even beneficial. Harvard compiled a study on MODERATE drinkers vs. non-drinkers and found that NON-DRINKERS had a higher rate of heart disease.

I hope not but according to your post, this Sat / Sunday there will be a lot of heart attacks, and 2 weeks after that it's the religious 2 days......not healthy days :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Banning the sale of alcohol for a day or a year will never tackle the problem.

Look at what happened with prohibition? Education doesn't really work either. Some people will keep drinking lotsof booze until they fuc_k up their lives and the lives of those around them until they either die or realize they have a problem and deal with it

That's it.

More than 4m Thais alcoholic, survey says

By The Nation

About 4.3 million Thais are alcoholics, according to a survey conducted from 2008 to this year.

More than a million of them are between 15 and 25 years old. Moreover, up to 7.1 per cent of alcoholics have mental disorders.

"On average, there have been 20 hospitalisations relating to alcoholism with mental disorders each month," Dr Boonsiri Jansirimongkon from the Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry said yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) and the Stop Drink Network yesterday unveiled a plan to launch the "No Alcohol Reality" campaign on Facebook.

Those interested can register their participation in the campaign between tomorrow and July 15 at http://www.facebook.com/NoAlcoholreality.

Participants are encouraged to update their Facebook status with ideas and activities about abstaining from alcohol through Buddhist Lent, which starts on July 16 and ends about three months later.

Those earning the most "likes" will get plaques of honour.

ThaiHealth deputy manager Dr Supreeda Adulyanon said the Abac poll found that alcohol abstention during Buddhist Lent last year cut the cost of alcohol consumption by Bt34 billion.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-30

I've been a moderate drinker (two days/week, plus the odd glass of wine) for 27 years. In that time I've had two relationships: one of 12 years (amicable split), the other 10 and still together. Never had a road accident due to drink because I DON"T drink and drive, never been arrested, never been in a fight, never abused anyone, enjoy life, exercise and am healthy. So, alcohol is obviously NOT the problem. The problems are caused by a few irresponsible idiots. But does that mean I (and many millions like me) should be stopped from drinking? We're dealing with the symptoms and not the cause here. The cause being that so many people in the world lead crappy lives due to capitalism, that they seek a release from their mundane day-to-day existence - the same for drugs. My word, everyone keeps bleating on about how "free" we are then continue to tell us what we can and cannot do. Drink responsibly! I can, and do.

Not mentioned in the article: the millions of hospital beds taken up by alcohol drinkers and the victims of their drinking. Also, the higher costs of insurance for all of us caused by drinkers of fermented sugars. - and the billions of hours of lost time among the labor force.

They need a study for that :)

alcohol is the most dangerous legal drug with the most abusers... but i guess it brings some money in the pockets of some rich people thus allowing it

Exactly. Alcoholic drink companies are the biggest drug dealers in the world. Of course they want all other drugs made illegal (and they've successfully campaigned for that!). Crack dealers would like all other drugs, other than crack, declared illegal too.

Nothing wrong with alcohol...in moderation. Many people, and not only in Thailand, just don't know when enough is enough...

A lot can potentially go wrong with alcohol, even when drunk in moderation. A whole lot of wife beatings and car crashes are caused by people who have drunk just a moderate amount. How many are caused by people smoking a ganga? Last time I checked statistics, the answer was: zero.

Then there's hemp. A plant which can't get you stoned or high, even if you smoked a dumpster load of the stuff. Yet, hemp is classified as a class 5 drug and possession of a tiny bit can land you in jail (in Thailand and the US), whereas 80 proof moonshine is sold legally at every mom and pop shop in Thailand.

I favor legalization of ALL drugs for adults, along with education, taxation, more education, and counseling. People have been doing drugs for at least 310,000 years (even monkeys and birds do drugs) so outlawing them only makes them more desirous, non-taxed, controlled by thugs, and ensures poor purity.

Alcoholic drinks, in excess or moderation, are by far the most harmful drugs in Thailand and the world - when looked at by the number of people harmed and costs to society - directly and indirectly.

Why not improve quality of life for citizens then there may be no need for stimulants to get happy or high on? Drug/alcohol use is prevalent among the less fortunate - there must be a reason for this.

Why not improve quality of life for citizens then there may be no need for stimulants to get happy or high on? Drug/alcohol use is prevalent among the less fortunate - there must be a reason for this.

Sounds good to me. I work outside each day, developing parks in northern Thailand for anyone to go and enjoy nature.

In contrast, someone like former PM Thaksin funnels money to Red Shirt thugs so they can despoil downtown Bangkok.

He drinks whiskey. I don't.

Strange world.