Appeals Denied In Australian Auditor Michael Wansley Murder Case

webfact

Appeals denied in sugar mill murder case

By KESINEE TAENGKIEW

The Nation

The Appeals Court yesterday upheld a life term and two death sentences on three men for their involvement in the 1999 murder of Australian auditor Michael Wansley. Another accused, Kasetthai sugar mill owner Pradit Siriviriyakul, was acquitted after the court gave him the benefit of doubt.

The court yesterday read the verdict in the case against Kasetthai executives - Boonpan Suthiwiriwan, Somchoke Suthiwiriwan, and Pradit and their accomplice Sompong Buasakul - for masterminding the murder of 58-year-old Wansley. He was shot dead on March 10, 1999, while on his way to audit the books of the sugar mill in Nakhon Sawan.

The indictment said Pradit hired Boonpan, Somchoke, Sompong and hit man Somchai Jaihao to kill Wansley because he had uncovered financial irregularities in the business, which was in the process of debt restructuring. Somchai has been tried and given a life sentence by Nakhon Sawan Court.

On September 5, 2006, the lower court sentenced Boonpan to life, condemned Somchoke and Sompong to death and acquitted Pradit. The public prosecutor and co-plaintiffs then submitted an appeal to get Pradit punished while the three other defendants appealed for acquittal.

The Appeals Court was told Boonpan arranged for a motorcycle and a gun, while Somchoke and Sompong helped the alleged gunmen Somchai and Pichet Khaewsamduang (who was acquitted by a lower court in a separate trial) in fleeing to Bangkok. The Appeals Court upheld the lower-court rulings handing down a life sentence to Boonpan and death sentences to the other two men.

Finding weakness in evidence against Pradit, the Appeals Court upheld his acquittal by the lower court on benefit of doubt.

All defendants were present at the verdict reading yesterday. Boonpan was sick and in a wheelchair, while Pradit had dozens of people come to the court to give him moral support.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-14

Did these idiots not think that after they killed Wansley that some other nice auditor guy wouldn't step up and take Wansleys place...What were they thinking...? :ph34r:

You are making an assumption that they were thinking. whistling.gif

Did these idiots not think that after they killed Wansley that some other nice auditor guy wouldn't step up and take Wansleys place...What were they thinking...? :ph34r:

You are making an assumption that they were thinking. whistling.gif

You are correct..My sarcasm....My bad...Thanks...:jap:

Edited by TeddyFlyfisherDavis

I am confused so the three hit men got Life and two death sentences but the business owner who arranged it got acquitted? Kind of ironic the guy with all the money gets a free pass while his cronies get the axe. I bet he had to spread out some of that accounting impropriety around!

I am confused so the three hit men got Life and two death sentences but the business owner who arranged it got acquitted? Kind of ironic the guy with all the money gets a free pass while his cronies get the axe. I bet he had to spread out some of that accounting impropriety around!

It's all about Sakdina. Google will tell you more.

There was lack of evidence against him.

It's all about Sakdina. Google will tell you more. Thanks good link.

/\ That sounds about right /\. I saw some of this in action yesterday on my way to impact arena at least 10 police checkpoints between Phrya Thai and back. Oddly I pointed out the fact most of the guys did not even have a ticket book in hand. Sometimes I think it is easier to pay the "fine" on the spot instead of a ticket less hassles.