Viangbua Mansion

stuartd1

I have stayed in Viangbua Mansion several times and I was always very happy there. I will stay there again in September. rolleyes.gif

The rooms are not new, but they are always very clean, and even if you use their small room (superior type 1) you will have enough space. Depending on the budget I would recommend the superior type 2. Ask for 'mountain view' to have a nice view of Doi Suthep. The staff is very friendly and most of them can speak english good enough. Some of the staff are there for a long time, so they know what they are doing. The breakfast is ok, but I would not call it 'great'.

Viangbua Mansion is only 2 minutes away from tanin market with local food and fruit. This is not a tourist area. I would not recommend it if it is your first visit to Thailand as a tourist. The location is 100 m from Chang Phuak road, and it is a 10 minutes walk to the moat (north gate).

@Winnie: there is a 'gay friendly' hotel in the same road, and a bar that may be a gay place. But I would not call this area a 'gay nightlife area'.

the surroundings are underwhelming.

They haven't updated the price list section on their website since 2007 and list the Baht as 40 to the $.

Might not be current prices

2007 prices?

They did not raise the price since 2007 :-) No need to change the web page (other than the exchange rates)

I highly prefere the surroundings over areas like the Night Bazar!

Edited by pewe

@Winnie: there is a 'gay friendly' hotel in the same road, and a bar that may be a gay place. But I would not call this area a 'gay nightlife area'.

It's just down the road from one of Chiang Mai's major gay nightlife areas.

It is a pretty awesome location all-in-all.

Thanin Market is right by there .. Santitham is close by ...

(and yes there are gay bars in the area, as well as other bars, and some late-night venues available as well.)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

They've quoted 22,000 baht for a month including water supply and house keeping service (3 times a week). The electricity is 6 baht per unit, which is a couple over the norm, but not a total rip off.

Will certainly ask for a mountain view, but having lived just down the road from Geylang in Singapore for 5 years, and in Jakarta before that, I don't think a gay bar and hotel are likely to bother me much!

Cheers,

Stuart

Sounds a bit pricey for the area, but if the service is good it may be worth it. The electricity is a good price. Unless you have the electricty bill in your own name you should expect to pay a minimum of 6B and upto 8B per unit used. Don't worry about the gay bar/hotels, you won't even notice them. In fact, you may come to enjoy them more as you won't be attacked by "workers" asking for a drink.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

They've quoted 22,000 baht for a month including water supply and house keeping service (3 times a week). The electricity is 6 baht per unit, which is a couple over the norm, but not a total rip off.

Will certainly ask for a mountain view, but having lived just down the road from Geylang in Singapore for 5 years, and in Jakarta before that, I don't think a gay bar and hotel are likely to bother me much!

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by CMSteve

To the OP ---

If you are planning on a month to 3 month stay you are probably doing OK there. If you are planning on longer term it would probably be worth your while to just check into a guesthouse and do some looking around.

After I pay everything at the house I rent (big place inside the old city (inside the moat)) I pay about 15,000 a month. That's a 3 bedroom house with electric and water (has 2 aircons) and internet and a washing machine and a gas stove w/ range top, fridge, TV. Microwave etc ...

That does sound pricey but you didn't mention what size unit you are looking at.

If your not familiar with CM then the Nimmanhemin road area has a lot more restaurants, bars and services etc. Generally cleaner and upscale but busier with more traffic.

The Tanin market is really nice but if your dropping 22k baht a month your not pinching baht anyway.

Stayed there a while back. Had a mountain view unit, great view. The breakfast got very boring for a longer stay. Everything super clean, great service, professional, safe and secure. The nearby market is great. I do agree it's a poor location for first time tourists, gays ones included, as it's more an expat-suitable location. Overall, would rate very high.

Edited by Jingthing

I lived there for a few months several years ago. It was quite new and smart then, don't know what time will have done to it and how re-decoration/maintenance have been kept up. It certainly looks shabbier from the outside than it did. Rooms were a good size and clean, through the furnishings were rather Japanese style minimalist and the bed quite hard.

View from the East side has been obliterated by a new shop house development, mountain view from the west side was only ever for higher floors or towards the rear. Echo the comments above about the staff, some of whom I still see around. The big difference now is the traffic, which is almost unbearable, especially between 4 and 8 p.m. Farang food is not available in abundance, except for the in house restaurant (which sucked), and the "Spirit House" across the road. Plenty of things to do and places to go in Santitham, ten minutes walk away.

There was a live band playing in a bar opposite which was causing a problem (think that's gone), not too mention the odd fight at the snooker halls and gambling places along that street :whistling: The gay places shouldn't give you any concern, the average punter is white haired and over sixty, hardly rowdy party types or near naked bodies flaunted in the street :D

Though the prices have remained the same, it was, and is overpriced compared with comparable places in that area. You might want to consider DD Park, View Doi Mansion, Noppakao Place, Grand Nappat or even the Dome which might offer better value for money and more serenity.

Don't worry about the gay bar/hotels, you won't even notice them. In fact, you may come to enjoy them more as you won't be attacked by "workers" asking for a drink.

Except for Chang Puek's legendary "Mr Chippendale" :):rolleyes:

The electricity is 6 baht per unit, which is a couple over the norm, but not a total rip off.

Hi Stuart

Actually Viangbua Mansion offer serviced apartments, not condos, so the electricity is actually a couple of Baht 'under' the norm, not over. You'll find that the majority of apartment buildings nowadays are asking 8 Baht a unit, condo rates are usually capped at 5 Baht, and all other condos are connected to the national grid where the rates are just a couple of Baht/unit (give or take), depending on the time of day.

Cheers

Aitch

We stayed there for several months in 2006 and again in 2008. As mentioned, the staff is great and the rooms are clean. During a recent visit to Spirit House, we cruised thru Viangbua and were pleasantly surprised to find that we recognized most of the staff. That says something positive about a business.

For a while, Viang Bua was "the" place for newly-landed expat couples to stay for a few months while they got the lay of the land and found longer term accomodations. Now it seems that The Dome Residence on Huey Kaew Rd is "the" place for people in similar situations.

I still miss Tanin Market and wish I lived closer. It is the best Thai market in Chiang Mai.

We put a friend from the US into Viangbua for a month as he was not familiar with CM. He loved it ,only thing missing was a pool.Spirit Hose Restaurant, almost opposite, is excellent albeit a well kept secret unless you read Lonely Planet or know someone who has been there.The surrounding area is not all exciting hut the local market is a big bonus and within easy walking distance.Highly recommended.

Quite expensive considering the location. It's an interesting neighborhood, but not an area where you'll find many people speaking English and eating hamburgers. Knowing some Thai would be a big plus. Tanin Market is very charming, but doesn't compare to Warorot. You might want to look at this place also, if you want to stay in the vicinity:

www.puripiman.com

Enjoy. It's hard to go wrong here.

I'm staying at Viangbua at the moment.

Good Points

-----------

1) Good view of mountain from west-side rooms

2) Very (genuinely) friendly, helpful staff

3) Fast, reliable Internet

4) Decent-size rooms

5) In-room safe

6) Quite quiet

Bad Points

----------

1) No swimming pool

2) More expensive than other places in same area (I'm paying 12K + bills)

Neutral Points

--------------

1) Fitness room is just "ok"

2) Vicinity - gay bars are not a problem, nobody hassles you to go in a bar, and there really aren't that many.

Overall, suits someone that can speak Thai, as this isn't a tourist area. The staff can speak English well, but step outside, and you are taking pot-luck whether anyone can speak English.

Recommended though. The people here really are genuinely friendly, not the normal "fake" friendly service you often find ...... whether that is worth the extra cash is your call.

Quite expensive considering the location. It's an interesting neighborhood, but not an area where you'll find many people speaking English and eating hamburgers. Knowing some Thai would be a big plus. Tanin Market is very charming, but doesn't compare to Warorot. You might want to look at this place also, if you want to stay in the vicinity:

www.puripiman.com

Look at puripiman website, and for no want of trying, couldn't find any "room rates". Not good. Suggests the owners don't mind wasting peoples' time. Who wants to see pictures of a place without knowing prices?

(Obvious inference is price depends on "who" you are ...)

www.puripiman.com

Look at puripiman website, and for no want of trying, couldn't find any "room rates". Not good. Suggests the owners don't mind wasting peoples' time. Who wants to see pictures of a place without knowing prices?

I think it may be a result of their website update. It's all new since I last looked in May. The prices were 4500-12000 then. You could ask. I doubt they're playing the game you think they are.

Just FYI, I pay about 8K per month for a 42sqm aircon balcony room with good internet about three blocks outside the moat. That's with electricity, but not with maid service.

Edited by anselpixel

www.puripiman.com

Actually, I now live very close to Warorot and find I sitll miss Tanin market. Tanin market is much cleaner, well-lighted, open longer hours and has a much broader range of prepared, ready-to-eat foods. Just check out the enclosed fresh meat room at Tanin and compare it with the fly-ridden horror of the meat stalls in Warorot. Where Warorot excels is in the selection of clothing and "stuff". But, I buy food much more frequently than I buy stuff. Overall, I'd rather be closer to Tanin than Warorot.

www.puripiman.com

Actually, I now live very close to Warorot and find I sitll miss Tanin market. Tanin market is much cleaner, well-lighted, open longer hours and has a much broader range of prepared, ready-to-eat foods. Just check out the enclosed fresh meat room at Tanin and compare it with the fly-ridden horror of the meat stalls in Warorot. Where Warorot excels is in the selection of clothing and "stuff". But, I buy food much more frequently than I buy stuff. Overall, I'd rather be closer to Tanin than Warorot.

www.puripiman.com

I think it may be a result of their website update. It's all new since I last looked in May. The prices were 4500-12000 then. You could ask. I doubt they're playing the game you think they are.

Just FYI, I pay about 8K per month for a 42sqm aircon balcony room with good internet about three blocks outside the moat. That's with electricity, but not with maid service.

Just heard back from them. Their cheapest room (25 sq. m) is now 6,100 with Electricity at 8 baht/unit. So not too bad, but I'm always doubtful about any place that doesn't put prices on the website. Like you suggest, might just be a website update problem (oops, we forgot to mention prices! lol), I'll ask them :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are these guys legit for giving deposits back? they want me to put down a 1 month deposit to stay 1 month

Consider yourself lucky. Rentals in C.M. usually require a 2 month deposit. Would you rent your place out to someone without taking a deposit???

I don't like the area. Much too congested, noisy, and too much traffic, but I agree that Tanin Market is the best in C.M.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are these guys legit for giving deposits back? they want me to put down a 1 month deposit to stay 1 month

I never had a problem getting the deposit back, nor have I ever heard of any issues or problems from several others I know who stayed there since. As stated by many on this thread it's a well run and respectable business. You most likely won't have any problems there, but you are paying a premium price for it.

Main negative these days would be noise and traffic which have increased exponentially in the six years since I stayed there, but that goes for plenty of other places in CM too :rolleyes: On the plus side several new restaurants have opened nearby in the last few months that, although Thai, are more farang friendly.