Food Recipes

rodders2

Can anyone help me? I want some simple recipes for verybasic food to cook at home.

The first is White Bread. especially how to prep and where to get the yeast.

Second, Short crust pastry - preparing and baking

Any other recipes or baking tips you have found here in Thailad.

Many thanks in advance.

Most supermarkets have dried yeast.

Making shortcrust pastry in Thailand is a challenge - definitely not something for the beginner. The problem is that the fat melts in the heat turning to oil. It's possible if you chill the bowl and all the ingredients before you start and work very, very quickly. The technique where you freeze the fat first then grate it sounds as if it should work well, but in my experience it takes too long to grate the fat to be practical, so I stick to the traditional method. That said, if you have an air-conditioned kitchen, you might have better luck.

If you go to somewhere like Asia Books or Kinokuniya you'll find a pretty good selection of cookery books, including some of basic recipes. The recipes are usually more reliable than ones found at random sites on the Internet - though http://www.deliaonline.com is excellent.

Well, I do a lot of cooking (for a guy, I'd be the perfect househusband).:whistling:

-Bratkartofelln:

Boil potatoes, wait till they're cold (refridgerate), chop them up. Cook them with eggs. Make sure the potatoes are extra crispy.

-Fondue:

Buy a fondue package (doubled price compared to Europe) and fresh bread. Microwave the cheese and dip the bread in it.

-Raclette:

Buy raclette cheese, buy preffered seasoning. Get and boil potatoes, while still hot, microwave and pour cheese onto potatoes and serve with pickles oronions.

-Paprika Liona:

Get minced meat and paprika. Hollow out the paprika and stuff it with minced meat, seal the ends with tomatoes. Boil overnight and serve with fishsauce and potatoes or rice.

-Wiener Schnitzel:

I dislike beef (real Wiener schnitzel), but get a meat of your choice, make lot's of bread crumbs, break 1-2 eggs, beat and mix with bread crumbs. Coat meat with it and cook. Serve with fries or potatoes.

-Gurkensuppe:

Get lot's of cucumber. Cut them into chunks and hollow them out. Get a minced meat of your choice. Fill in the hollowed out cucumbers with said meat. Boil together with a herb of your choice. Serve with rice.

-Mac & Cheese:

Duh!!! Obviously get some macaroni, boil it till it's done, mix it with butter, and cover it with the cheese of your choice while it's still hot.

-Grandma's macaroni noodle soup and a "special" Thai egg recipe that wouldmake even the greatest Thai chief jelous.

PM me if you really wanna know.

Otherwise, I know tons of recipes. But your best bet is still the internets. Although a word of caution: the amounts of each recipe vary greatly.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey There,

Happy to oblige...

You'll need to try them out a few times to master them

These are a couple of recipes from our recipe book at work. Cooking times will vary if you want to do a loaf. and you can substitute plain flour for the wholewheat if you don't like that and leave out or change the nuts and seeds for others

Room temperature obviously is based on a temperate climate.

You will need an air-conditioned or cool room to make pastry or keep putting it in the fridge (you need to rest it this way anyway after kneading and after rolling it out before baking. It's best if its cold going into the hot oven)

You can use a food processor to bring the butter and flour together (with blades) then knead in the liquid.

Wholewheat Bread Rolls

500gms Plain Flour

500gms Wholewheat flour

700mls Water

25gms Yeast

20gms salt

60mls Walnut oil

75gms Sunflower seeds

75gms walnuts

Activate yeast with a pinch of sugar and water at 36C. Once activated, add remaining ingredients and knead for 8 minutes. Roll into 50gm balls and prove,then bake in oven on 190degrees, for 12 minutes.

Sweet Short Crust Pastry 1

500gms room temperature unsalted butter

500gms caster sugar

4 eggs

1kg plain flour

Vanilla paste

Zest of one lemon

Pinch of salt

Combine salt, sugar, butter, lemon zest and vanillapaste. Add eggs slowly. Add flour slowly, then rest for 1 hour before using.

Sweet Shortcrust Pastry 2

500gmsflour

Pinch ofsalt

250gmssoftened unsalted butter

2 eggs,beaten

100gmssugar

Vanillapaste

Cream butter,sugar and vanilla paste. Add eggs slowly, then fold in flour. Rest for 1 hourbefore using.

Savoury Shortcrust Pastry

1kg flour

600gms room temperature unsalted butter

4 eggs

Pinch of sugar

Pinch of salt

1 tablespoon milk

Combine sugar, salt, flour and butter until a crumbleforms. Add egg and milk, then work until the dough is smooth. Allow to rest for1 hour before using.

(Roux Brothers)

1kg Plain Flour

15gms Salt

400gm Butter

10 Egg Yolks

220ml Cold Water

Combine, salt, flour and butter until a crumble forms.Add egg and water, then work until the dough just comes together. Allow to restfor 1 hour before using.

Let us know how it goes...

Edited by AussieTrent

Most supermarkets have dried yeast.

Making shortcrust pastry in Thailand is a challenge - definitely not something for the beginner. The problem is that the fat melts in the heat turning to oil. It's possible if you chill the bowl and all the ingredients before you start and work very, very quickly.

I have no problem making SHORTCRUST PASTRY. I have been using Cresco,which stays solid here. I have also made olive oil pastry. Usualy I use the food processor for the mixing....too much trouble doing it by hand.