More Public Places In Thailand To Be Alcohol-Free Zones

webfact

More Public Places to Be Alcohol-free

The Public Health Ministry has signed an agreement which will prohibit the consumption, sales, distribution and advertising of alcoholic beverages at government-controlled offices and facilities.

Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Public Health Ministry Siriwat Thiptaradol announced that the ministry has signed an agreement with the Interior Ministry, Department of Local Administration and related agencies to designate government offices and public locations as alcohol-free zones.

This is in accordance with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2008.

For this year, the ministry has been implementing the program at the local administrative level by urging government officials to act as a good role model for the public.

The agreement will prohibit consumption, sales, distribution and advertising of alcoholic beverages at the government-controlled offices and facilities.

Shops and stores located on state-owned properties must have proper permits before they can serve alcoholic beverages.

The prohibition of alcohol sales to minors under 20 years old and outside the periods permitted by the law is the first piece of legislation in the history of Thailand aimed at curbing all negative impact from alcohol, particularly among youths and the general public.

Director of the Office of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Committee Doctor Samarn Futrakul has reported that despite the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2008, a number of manufacturers, distributors and consumers are still unknowingly violating the law.

At the same time, the law is not being seriously enforced.

At any rate, Samarn believes that the newly-signed agreement will help educate state officials on the law which will contribute to the overall prevention and suppression efforts.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-03

footer_n.gif

prohibit the consumption, sales, distribution and advertising of alcoholic beverages

A top-important problem in this country. Yeah.

What's next? Anyone quit drinking by that?? Or just have a short run to the nearest 7-11 across the road and get their beloved lao-kao?

More you ban something - more they demand that, it is just classical. You must ban completely and for all - or it will not worth for trying. Especially in LOS (hub of soft bans) - where you can ban anything you want but have no balls to enforce anything you ban.

Ah, yes: I forgot mama\papa shops too. Try to hard-ban them all across the country - perhaps the country will ban you back, Mr.Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Public Health Ministry Siriwat Thiptaradol :jap:

Nobody bothered enforcing the no places to sell alcohol within 500 meters of a school. What chance this one?

And of course they havent learnt that tell people not to do something and they will do it especially the young and especially when it is aging hypocrites that are no role model to anyone who are doing the telling. It seems some of those with power have this vision of what Thailand is which doesnt fit with any form of reality.

On the car park of my nearest temple in Bangkok, (police box approx 20m from there, school in the temple compound) every late afternoon there is a quite large group of guys drinking, gambling and running the car park ... and nobody cares ...

If you read he whole article you will note that it says at the end

"At any rate, Samarn believes that the newly-signed agreement will help educate state officials on the law which will contribute to the overall prevention and suppression efforts."

It does not say it will end the drinking problem in Thailand.It is just a helping tool to get to that end. A journey we will not see the end of in our life time.

But that is no reason to put down the effort.If you don't start nothing will ever change. Is that what the nay Sayers are aiming at?

On the car park of my nearest temple in Bangkok, (police box approx 20m from there, school in the temple compound) every late afternoon there is a quite large group of guys drinking, gambling and running the car park ... and nobody cares ...

Of course the only part they do enforce is that bloody rule of no alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm. I've lost count of the number of times I was doing my groceries on a saturday afternoon and was unable to buy a bottle of wine for dinner or a few beers for the evening because of it. I don't know which idiot thought of that rule and what they are trying to achieve with it. All it does is make me go to the same supermarket a second time to buy the same thing they wouldn't sell to me 2 hours earlier. AAARRGGH!!! Thai logic at its best.....

It does not say it will end the drinking problem in Thailand.It is just a helping tool to get to that end. A journey we will not see the end of in our life time.

But that is no reason to put down the effort.If you don't start nothing will ever change. Is that what the nay Sayers are aiming at?

As other mentioned above - they (officials) have already "started" with 50m school-area bans some time ago. Or many-many-many other "bans" (say, not to sell alcohol to teens blahblahblah)

Enough talking here (Thais are best in talking, you know) - just show me results from that. Any noticeable results - except wasting rearranging the budget funds of course...

Of course the only part they do enforce is that bloody rule of no alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm. I've lost count of the number of times I was doing my groceries on a saturday afternoon and was unable to buy a bottle of wine for dinner or a few beers for the evening because of it. I don't know which idiot thought of that rule and what they are trying to achieve with it. All it does is make me go to the same supermarket a second time to buy the same thing they wouldn't sell to me 2 hours earlier. AAARRGGH!!! Thai logic at its best.....

C'mon, just come across the street to ANY "mama\papa shop" - and you'll get your needs. Im not sure about good wine, but beer is always there. Always. 24\7\365. And it is always COLD (being kept in mama\papa Family Freezer made back to 195x :) )

And it is also CHEAPER. :)

I have a VIP access to my nearest one (as I am a daily visitor for a beer). Ban of boozes?? Ha-ha, very good joke. Keep talking, officials...

Nobody bothered enforcing the no places to sell alcohol within 500 meters of a school. What chance this one?

And of course they havent learnt that tell people not to do something and they will do it especially the young and especially when it is aging hypocrites that are no role model to anyone who are doing the telling. It seems some of those with power have this vision of what Thailand is which doesnt fit with any form of reality.

I truly believe that Thailand is losing it's clean, sober, family resort image. I have heard recently one or 2 girly and boy bars have opened, and alcohol is sold here in some venues. This will have to stop, before it spreads to the worlds top tourist resorts, and would be a shame to tarnish tourism business, the way forward will be a alcohol free country-yes ban it all===== Hick-burp-""pour me another barman":lol::partytime2: