The Ultimate Chain Lube

BSJ

Well, it maybe. Outboard motor grease has all the right characteristics to lube a motorcycle chain. High pressure, water resistant and non-fling. Plus I've used it before, years ago. And after going to half the bike shops in Pattaya and finding the only product available is Sonax spray lube (WD40 by a different name), I had no other option.

Now all I need is a stand to lift the rear wheel so I can clean, lube and adjust in comfort. :)

post-63954-0-92321100-1312500984_thumb.j

If you can - try and get at least an O-ring chain, and best of all, an X-ring chain.

Holds the lube in much better than a reg chain, no regular lube required, just clean with a stiff bristle brush and apply anti-rust on the outside links to keep that just-like-new look.

Good to know about the outboard grease if nothing else available. Does the grease pick up dirt?

A WD40 type product is certainly a very poor chain lubricant. It might loosen up a rusted one.

I still reckon that specific chain lube has got to be better than the outboard grease Surprised that you've not been able to buy the real thing in Pattaya. Sure another reply will tell you where to get it in your area. I bought a pressure pack in Sukhothai last week for 90 baht. goes on really nicely.

I also need a stand. Found a plan and gunna weld one up. That'd be another thread...

I also need a stand. Found a plan and gunna weld one up. That'd be another thread...

Andrew,

A stand is only about 1800 baht plus postage. Or if you want somewhere on-line there is a plan of how to make one with galv.threaded 1" pipe and some connectors, all available at a local hardware/blue plastic pipe shop.

mike

Andrew,

A stand is only about 1800 baht plus postage. Or if you want somewhere on-line there is a plan of how to make one with galv.threaded 1" pipe and some connectors, all available at a local hardware/blue plastic pipe shop.

mike

I've got some really nice S-spec stands here at Sumet for only 1,700 baht each. Shipping available.

I've got two types here, Muc-Off and Putoline. Which do you guys think is best?

I use Putoline chain lube, but only for the simple fact that I run Putoline oil in my Ducati. The Putoline chain lube does have a blue dye in the compound, which may be off putting to some. I like because if gives me an easy telltale of coverage.

What Muc-Off products do you have? I'm very interested in some of the cleaning compounds.

edit: I the love Muc-Off video demo. You'll know what I mean when you watch it :lol:

http://youtu.be/20zl5v7KvbY

Edited by Garry

Andrew,

mike

I've got some really nice S-spec stands here at Sumet for only 1,700 baht each. Shipping available.

My post is yours.

I use Putoline chain lube, but only for the simple fact that I run Putoline oil in my Ducati. The Putoline chain lube does have a blue dye in the compound, which may be off putting to some. I like because if gives me an easy telltale of coverage.

What Muc-Off products do you have? I'm very interested in some of the cleaning compounds.

edit: I the love Muc-Off video demo. You'll know what I mean when you watch it :lol:

I use the Muc-Off chain cleaner and lube for personal use. I don't actually sell it here at the shop. I get it from Panda Riders in Bangkok. If you are not in Bangkok, I could pick some up and ship it to you.

The Putoline stuff is good, but it does leave an ugly residue.

i like the Motul stuff.

Available from all good shops.

here's the Thai importer

.http://www.tigermotor.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151:motul&catid=58:2010-11-09-04-32-54&Itemid=172

I bought an aerosol can of Veloil chain lube 'non-fling formula' Any good? Seems to go on nicely (need a bl%&dy workshop/paddock stand!)

I bought an aerosol can of Veloil chain lube 'non-fling formula' Any good? Seems to go on nicely (need a bl%&dy workshop/paddock stand!)

I've never used it myself, but it seems to be a good product from what I've read. Here is a photo of the service stand I mentioned earlier.

post-121278-0-80298500-1312541776_thumb.

Andrew,

mike

At that price I shouldn't do a Thai (Chinese?) out of a job. Ta.

Andrew,

mike

At that price I shouldn't do a Thai (Chinese?) out of a job. Ta.

There's some portable stands on TV classifieds, may be worth a look.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/one-armed-standit-bike-stand-at-chiang-rai-saddlebags-117310.html

Love that video!!!

Love that video!!!

Dear god! What cost more, the bike or all those products? :S :D

Hmmm, outboard motor grease, high pressure, water resistant and non-fling. this might be just the ticket for a substitute for the chainsaw bar and chain oil I cannot find anywhere.

As for lubing the motorcycle chain, I'll tell you, the Scottoiler I put on my ER is some of the best money I ever spent. It keeps the chain clean and constantly lubed, rain or shine. I was skeptical about Scottoiler claims that the thing would not fling oil all over the back wheel, but it is true; it does not. I may also double the life of my chain with this thing.

No matter how careful you are with manual lubing, and I was religious about it, there are times when the chain gets too dry, like when stuck in riding in rain for a couple of hours, then out comes the sun and you go another couple of hundred kms before stopping. This is death for a chain. I know exactly when I destroyed my last chain. It was a trip to Petchabun. The chain lasted another 8,000 km after that trip, but that is when I sealed its fate. Had I had the Scottoiler, I think I may have gotten at least another 15,000 kms out of that chain. With manual oiling, even with no rain, your chain is fully lubed when you lube it. When you next lube it 500 kms later, it may not be bone dry, but it is going to dry. Thailand is particularly hard on chains with all the heat, rain and road grit. I have freinds in the states using oilers that routinely get 30,000+ MILES out of a chain. I got 20,000 kilometers out of my last one.

I put on a new chain when I put on the oiler. I'll post a future report when the new stats are in.

Edited by TongueThaied

I've used Putoline & Motul, Both work fine. Putoline's lube has a blue color, some riders may not like. However Veloil has a similar product that I've used on a off roader in Laos. Its nearly 1/3rd the price of Motul (as per Thai importer's price list). And it worked well. You can find it here http://www.veloil.com/products/four/chain1.htm. Just call up the company, ask for the product. They'll direct you to the person in charge of the distribution and he/she will direct you to the shop closest to your location that sells it.

Regarding the issue of fling, given the centripetal forces acting on the chain at the rear sprocket of any bike doing decent rpms - fling is present even though chain lubes are given adhesive properties. However one can minimize both the fling and the chain being dry by using little amounts of lube and often. The best time to use the chain lube is when the ride is over and the chain is still warm. Just spray a little dollop in the inner circumference at every outer link joint of the chain. The Motul can has a diagram showing this. The excess nearly always flings off (that's why always use little dollops). I have been advised to lube the chain every 300 kms in total dry conditions or immediately after the ride (regardless of the kms since the last lube) should there be rain. Touch the inner edge of the chain, if there are deep dark grease marks that are slippery - the chain is ok. Keep the can of lube in the underseat compartment or in the tank bag.

As for Scottoilers (http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Kits/View-all-products/Page-1-9.html) I have been fortunate to meet a person using it. There is a mechanism to increase/decrease the quantity of oil depending on the wet/dry season one is riding in. However the person did tell me that it would be a good idea to turn it off during track sessions.

I'm quite interested in a rear paddock stand. I've been quoted ridiculous figures especially for those that can be adjusted. Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.

..........You can find it here http://www.veloil.co...our/chain1.htm. ........

I use one of these cans of chain lube in my travel pack. 200ml is a good size and compact.

As for Scottoilers (http://www.scottoile...s/Page-1-9.html) I have been fortunate to meet a person using it. There is a mechanism to increase/decrease the quantity of oil depending on the wet/dry season one is riding in. However the person did tell me that it would be a good idea to turn it off during track sessions.

The sensor controlled Scotoilers have to be set up / mapped properly. Initial mapping is critical for your riding style and conditions.

I'm quite interested in a rear paddock stand. I've been quoted ridiculous figures especially for those that can be adjusted. Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.

I buy my rear paddock stands from Fast Corner, adjustable and good quality. I keep pestering them for a front stand but nothing so far. I bit the bullet and bought myself an exotic stand from Germany...company by the name of Bursig. I don't expect anyone to buy one, but I can move my bike anywhere I want to in my garage with absolutely minimal effort.

Edited by Garry

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever try using good old fashioned molybendium (spelling) grease?

I just went through a can of Veloil and it only last for 2k kilometers per application. I get about 2.5 applications per can.

• 1 month later...

It has been a long wait for an answer but today, Paul Rogers, of Veloil, Thailand, has responded to an inquiry about the use of Veloil Chain Spray Lube on o-ring style chains. He tells me that after in-house testing, they have have determined that Veloil Chain Spray Lube is safe for o-ring style chains. If any of you have further, specific questions about that product, you can contact Veloil company and ask for Paul Rogers.