Airbags

Had a good laugh reading through some of it, you must have to be good company.

I don't know if the airbags on the car are going to work I don't even think about it,

I remember my daughter UK in her little Fiesta just parking, hit the kerb a bit on the hard side and her airbag went off, I didn't replace it and she didn't want me to, it scared the life out of her nearly.

I think it is very easy to drive in the part of Thailand where I live, traffic is far and few between, I don't even bother wearing a seat belt and would only bother if I were heading into, say, Bangkok.

Although Volvo cars I have had are considered safe I have never taken on board safety features on car, how many airbags, how does it get mashed up, if I like the look of the car that's where it ends for me, I see it as a individual choice and I believe it should stay that way.

Edited by Kwasaki

/I cant see any of Diana's Men being intimidated by Paparazzi on Bikes, You get that everyday here.I'm on First Name Terms with that Expressway Yump, i call it "Oh Shit". unless it raining or busy it hit the bump stops evrytime, I Don't much care about Airbags for me, but i'm happy the Family have them in their rides..Totally Negative i admit , but it would be just my luck for one to save me from Death but render me a Cabbage, when Death would have been a better option. A well considerd reply Enough of that serious stuff, its ........................:partytime2:

Good Point. Warpy. So you have a bump just hard enough to activate, then spin out in front of oncoming traffic without protection cause they gone flat. So now should we have an emergency back up.?.:o

Yes, it is a very realistic scenario that I believe has been played out more times then we hear about.. As I said I believe that based on all the evidence I've seen of the accident and an innate understanding of the handling G forces and reaction etc. coupled with the route taken, the driver is merely a scapegoat. It also accounts for Rees-Jones injuries and potential survival in that he hit the windshield even with the bags inflated and why he was so battered but not killed as the bags were deflating when he hit them so it slowed him but didn't stop his full forward momentous.

The bags were set off by coming over a very steep drop off at approximately 100MPH that was engineered for much lower speeds and the front end contacting the ground hard enough to trigger them (investigation estimated the impact was between 60 and 70 MPH after many meters of scrubbing off speed with brakes and tire scrub etc. should have been a survivable impact if bags were effective, though not in the back necessarily with no belts on, again pretty foolish of the body guard who should have been in charge) and suddenly a very heavy car moving at speed now had no power steering, no power brakes, out of control with a blinded, impaired driver with drug and alcohol slowed reactions trying to control it. IMO though, he wasn't "drunk" as mentioned, as that would indicate that 3 adults, one of whom was charged with protecting the other 2's lives and safety all would have been remiss in allowing a "drunk" chauffeur to drive them when they knew they'd be taking evasive action from paparazzi's, might as well give the driver a loaded gun, what's the diffrence?

A "drunk" person shows numerous signs of impairment such as slurred speech, slowed movements, maybe staggering or unsteady on their feet and if the body guard in charge noticed any of this (as a trained body guard should) then he should have taken the keys from him and driven himself or had another driver located, that was his job, to guard their lives whether from an assailant or a drunk, either way if not he was completely neglect of his duties as much as the driver.. Again Henri Paul may have been impaired and not fully up to snuff but "drunk" no way, he negotiated numerous turns, narrow alleyways with parked cars and a host of other obstacles at speed for many K's prior to crashing on a straight stretch of road, entering a tunnel, on roads he was supposed to be familiar with?? Nonsense!

If you're lucky enough to get to see some pictures of the tunnel entrance before the accident you'll see that it had a veeerry steep drop off in the transition from road to tunnel not unlike many around here. It was only after the crash that it has been completely redone and is now a much more even and smooth transition, I wonder why?? It's very hard to find those photos now I haven't seen them after much searching but I remember them clearly, in the video below it doesn't show the actual transition but still look at how sharp it is from tunnel ground level.

The above vid shows a ground level shot at about 14seconds in, imagine that rise @ 100MPH and driving off of it? It's WRC stuff! This investigators theory is also good but for it to have happened as he suggests the Fiat would have had to been notified by phone or something and intercepted them coming into the tunnel as there is no way the POS they showed would have kept up and passed the Mercedes not even with Micheal Schumacher driving it and a half competent driver in the Merc so that's a stretch. IMO as the car entered the tunnel they noticed the car ahead but too late and then they made impact with the ground which disabled the car when he took evasive action to avoid hitting it and caused him to lose control in that process.. Though it could have still contributed in more then one way too, if the video scenario is true, it does not discount my perspective but rather may add to it.

Take a ride on 7 to Pattaya from Bangkok and drive over one of those transitions at even 70 MPH and see what happens to your car? No! On second thought don't! :o You know the ones we're talking about. Those are relatively benign in comparison to the transition that was at the entrance to this tunnel prior to the accident. This also explains the curiosity every one has about the cars exhaust being detached from the bottom of the car in a frontal impact instead of just being crushed, it came unhinged with a serious downward impact from slamming down on the pavement after being airborne and it also explains the numerous scrapes reported on the pavement prior to the actual impact..

Conclusion: It was a series of small incidental but significant events, mistakes and failures along with at least 3 major contributing factors being the driver impairment, the speed being traveled and the premature air bag deployment that led to this tragedy as with so many such similarly tragic accidents have in the past, there is never just one contributing factor.. But can you imagine the fallout if this safety feature was reported as the primary catalyst for Princess Di's death? Arguably one of the most popular and loved people on the planet? Of course it couldn't come out, it had to be a drunk martyr..

So how do you avoid such a thing in the future? It's a major unpublicized draw back of air bags.. Some sort of 2 stage bags is all I can think of but wow! At how much extra cost??

average Joe stops controlling the car at initial small impact anyway

Yes I agree and Di died in '97' in the middle of that span of time and yet now as you said hardly an issue any more? Still to be considered though and can obviously be a part of an additional injury either in the car or someone outside possibly if the car has no control in a more serious impact that momentum continues to toss the car about or it is impacted by another car once the bags have been deployed.. Just food for thought.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Jeez did i get a Shock. Out of 35 Party Drivers last night only 2 said they asked about Airbags .Seat Belts was all they wanted,and 2 had experianced them going off for no reason,and rather angry at the replace cost.{ Fiesta U.K.} ..When i came here the Dolomite Sprint was a new Hi So Toy in Bkk,not even a rear seatbel !!!. Party Age Group 45- 66, Ozz, Brits, and Yanks. Me being the Old Grumpy .:jap:

Jeez did i get a Shock. Out of 35 Party Drivers last night only 2 said they asked about Airbags .Seat Belts was all they wanted,and 2 had experianced them going off for no reason,and rather angry at the replace cost.{ Fiesta U.K.} ..When i came here the Dolomite Sprint was a new Hi So Toy in Bkk,not even a rear seatbel !!!. Party Age Group 45- 66, Ozz, Brits, and Yanks. Me being the Old Grumpy .:jap:

I don't have a clue what you are talking about :D is it about airbags??

Dont worry about it. Neither cani.

It's coming from one :lol:;) ... Or is that 'windbag'? :D

Edited by WarpSpeed

It's coming from one :lol:;) ... Or is that 'windbag'? :D

Ive no Idea about many things posted here. Rotors.?.Re Helicoptor, Or as In Disk Brakes. I must go change the Rotor in my C.D Player. Im the only sane one here.:D.One Word of Dissent and ill post Ive just Sold a Cruze . Blog.:(

You find Volvo's attractive ?

Yes !!! IMO the entire range of Volvo’s I’ve had were great looking cars.

The Volvo Amazon was a stunner and elderly American gentlemen may remember it as the 122s it had a 3 speed auto model.

144 auto was a good looking comfortable car.

244 was also a great car and came with a 4 speed auto.

740 estate was a great work horse and looked good.

The 850 Turbo T5-R estate was the best car ever for me a limited-edition version, ungoverned it clocked over 160 mph ( 260 kph ) and ‘G ’ force acceleration.

post-87530-0-81971000-1313385841_thumb.j

Yes !!! IMO the entire range of Volvo's I've had were great looking cars.

The Volvo Amazon was a stunner and elderly American gentlemen may remember it as the 122s it had a 3 speed auto model.

The 850 Turbo T5-R estate was the best car ever for me a limited-edition version, ungoverned it clocked over 160 mph ( 260 kph ) and 'G ' force acceleration.

T5, wish l had one now. :)

Yes !!! IMO the entire range of Volvo’s I’ve had were great looking cars.

The 850 Turbo T5-R estate was the best car ever for me a limited-edition version, ungoverned it clocked over 160 mph ( 260 kph ) and ‘G ’ force acceleration.

I agree Kawasaki there's a certain look about Volvos that I can appreciate too, that boxy look of the past like the Golfs used to have for instance too has it's grip on me..

There are several new Volvos that also have very nice lines.. Like this one:

volvo090925.JPG

Edited by WarpSpeed

The 850 Turbo T5-R estate was the best car ever for me a limited-edition version, ungoverned it clocked over 160 mph ( 260 kph ) and 'G ' force acceleration.

I agree Kawasaki there's a certain look about Volvos that I can appreciate too, that boxy look of the past like the Golfs used to have for instance too has it's grip on me.

There are several new Volvos that also have very nice lines.. Like this one:http://feedmesportsc...volvo090925.JPG

Yeah !! and they were also quite aerodynamic.

That's a beaut, looks a bit like a C70.

[144138:imagesCA92U1JB.jpg]

I take it he driver is wearing a seat belt and has airbags.:)

post-87530-0-90282000-1313472761_thumb.j

Edited by Kwasaki

I agree Kawasaki there's a certain look about Volvos that I can appreciate too, that boxy look of the past like the Golfs used to have for instance too has it's grip on me.

There are several new Volvos that also have very nice lines.. Like this one:http://feedmesportsc...volvo090925.JPG

It's an S60 actually and definitely several seat belts and sadly he needed them back in May when he stalled on the start and got rear ended, he was ok though and touted the Volvos crash worthiness of course. He's struggling this year but last year he won the Championship in this same car. Volvos were ahead of their time where aero is concerned because Volvo began as an airplane manufacturer and still is.. And this car as well as all the cars in this series and most in the US are stock based chassis, suspension and engines, not purpose built tube frames with a faux skin for racing, a fact often overlooked by those who don't comprehend the cross connection with daily drivers and these cars..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It's an S60 actually and definitely several seat belts and sadly he needed them back in May when he stalled on the start and got rear ended, he was ok though and touted the Volvos crash worthiness of course. He's struggling this year but last year he won the Championship in this same car. Volvos were ahead of their time where aero is concerned because Volvo began as an airplane manufacturer and still is.. And this car as well as all the cars in this series and most in the US are stock based chassis, suspension and engines, not purpose built tube frames with a faux skin for racing, a fact often overlooked by those who don't comprehend the cross connection with daily drivers and these cars..

I knew Volvo made airplane- engines but didn't know they made airplanes. Saab do.

Yes, I stand corrected, I got Saab and Volvo confused. Which explains why Volvos always looked like a brick but still caught the eye :D ..

Hope you don't get confused shifting those gears pumping iron eh. :lol:

Real class that, you always have some childish, piss take come back, can never demonstrate enough class to let go, shows what kind of person you really are.. Try admitting sometime when you're wrong instead of moving the goal posts all over to suit your argument :rolleyes: .. I realize that might be a full time task for you but you're retired and have plenty of time so you should give it a try..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes, I stand corrected, I got Saab and Volvo confused. Which explains why Volvos always looked like a brick but still caught the eye :D ..

You always have some childish, piss take come back, can never be big enough to let go, shows what kind of person you really are.. Try admitting sometime when you're wrong instead of moving the goal posts all over to suit your argument :rolleyes: ..

Me wrong, god forbid. :lol:

As you well know, you tell us all from time to time how intelligent you were born and what a superb race car champ you are/were. That's OK with me BUT after stating these facts you should be very careful what you write as you leave yourself wide open eh. :)

You always have some childish, piss take come back, can never be big enough to let go, shows what kind of person you really are.. Try admitting sometime when you're wrong instead of moving the goal posts all over to suit your argument :rolleyes: ..

As you well know, you tell us all from time to time how intelligent you were born and what a superb race car champ you are/were. That's OK with me BUT after stating these facts you should be very careful what you write as you leave yourself wide open eh. :)

Yes even the most intelligent people make mistakes but likewise it takes an equally intelligent person to admit it, what's your excuse?.. Like I said or maybe it wasn't clear, like so many other things you read, you have, 0, zip, nada, class...

Edited by WarpSpeed

You always have some childish, piss take come back, can never be big enough to let go, shows what kind of person you really are.. Try admitting sometime when you're wrong instead of moving the goal posts all over to suit your argument :rolleyes:

Yes even the most intelligent people make mistakes but likewise it takes an equally intelligent person to admit it, what's your excuse?.. Like I said or maybe it wasn't clear, like so many other things you read, you have, 0, zip, nada, class..

In my case you are probably right, and l admit it if you say so, cos l wasn't born intelligent, far from it BUT l have other qualities. :)