Obama Congratulates New Thai PM

Lite Beer

Obama congratulates new Thai PM

WASHINGTON, August 13, 2011 (AFP) - US President Barack Obama congratulated Thailand's first female premier Saturday on her historic election, hailing it as a sign of the "success of the democratic process," the White House said.

In a telephone conversation, Obama and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra "underscored the enduring nature of the US-Thailand friendship and alliance, and pledged to strengthen the bilateral relationship and work together to ensure peace and stability in the Asia Pacific," according to the White House.

Obama spoke with 44-year-old Yingluck, who took office Monday, "to congratulate her on her election and the Thai people on the success of the democratic process," it added in a statement.

Yingluck swept to an election victory last month with the support of her older brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who is loathed by the elite in government, military and palace circles, and was toppled in a 2006 coup.

A businesswoman described by her brother as his "clone," Yingluck faces the tough challenge of bringing unity to the politically volatile kingdom, which has seen 18 actual or attempted military coups since it became a constitutional monarchy in 1932.

Yingluck has formed a six-party coalition, holding three fifths of the seats in the lower house of parliament, in an attempt to bolster her hold on power.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-08-14

Considering the cloud of euphoria that Obama rode in on and to now see that which has transpired I wouldn't read to much positivism in Obamas congratulations.

We know whose pocket Yinluck is in as well as we all now whose pockets Obama is in, the bankers and arms manufacturers pockets.

Both are national leaders under another entities mandate and guidance.

Obama congratulates Thailand's first female Prime Minister

2011-08-14 10:44:58 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday congratulated Thailand's first female prime minister on her election and the Thai people on the "success of the democratic process," the White House said.

In a telephone conversation, Obama and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra "underscored the enduring nature of the U.S.-Thailand friendship and alliance, and pledged to strengthen the bilateral relationship and work together to ensure peace and stability in the Asia Pacific," the White House said in a statement.

Yingluck, a top-party list Pheu Thai Member of Parliament, was elected prime minister on August 5 by a majority vote in the House of Representatives. The youngest sister of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra became Thailand's 28th Prime Minister and the first female to occupy the position.

The vote came a month after the Pheu Thai party won a convincing majority in the July 3 election and formed a six-party coalition controlling 300 seats in the 500-seat House.

Yingluck will face an uphill task to steer the country out of years of deep-rooted divide and revitalize its economy amid the financial situation in the United States and Europe. She has also pledged to restore national reconciliation and unity.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-08-14

"success of the democratic process"

What is democratic about manipulating the poor with money and populist policies. It really frustrates me hearing the word democracy used to describe what is happening in Thailand, most of the red shirt Thais bleating on about democracy wouldn't know what it is if it hit them in the face. Democracy is a foreign and alien concept, incompatible with Thai culture. Fair enough, this is the way Thailand works, but they should come up with their own word for their political process - bribocracy? it's an insult to all the people all over the world that have genuinely sacrificed so much in the fight for genuine democracy.

I think Obama is either clueless to the sh1t that has gone on or is playing happy politics and telling Yingluck et al what they want to hear.

What is he supposed to say? Would offending Yingluck and her supporters have helped anything? Obama's goal is American policy, smooth relations with Thailand as has been in effect through all kinds of mostly bad governments here.

Edited by Jingthing

it wasn't necessary to hail it as a success of the democratic process, could have just congratulated her. But then we talking about politicians where what is right or wrong is not important.

Not sure about that. It seemed a clean enough election. I suppose it's democracy even if the people in effect elected Thaksin who is on record as not caring about democracy. But they did elect him/her. Hopefully, elections can still be held when the people decide to turn in another direction. I actually think Obama would have said the exact same thing if Yingluck had lost, as long as the elections were relatively legitimate.

Edited by Jingthing

He wanted to congratulate her on her lack of experience and credentials, and offered her to join his club.

The election has started. Ho hum. You might want to rethink your talking points now though as there are not too many living people who have been president of the United States.

It was just a phone call. I'm sure Obama could care less. Thailand isn't exactly an economic powerhouse, or well respected in the global community, but Thailand is friends with the USA, so it was just being polite. Not pandering, not anything. I'm sure he didn't know anything about it, and has already forgotten about it.

Sounds to me like it's the propaganda machine spinning something small to an ignorant population, just like Germany and Japan letting Thaksin visit.

"success of the democratic process"

What is democratic about manipulating the poor with money and populist policies. It really frustrates me hearing the word democracy used to describe what is happening in Thailand, most of the red shirt Thais bleating on about democracy wouldn't know what it is if it hit them in the face. Democracy is a foreign and alien concept, incompatible with Thai culture. Fair enough, this is the way Thailand works, but they should come up with their own word for their political process - bribocracy? it's an insult to all the people all over the world that have genuinely sacrificed so much in the fight for genuine democracy.

I think Obama is either clueless to the sh1t that has gone on or is playing happy politics and telling Yingluck et al what they want to hear.

Excellent post V, any prize on the top shelf for your touch of BS free realism !.

He wanted to congratulate her on her lack of experience and credentials, and offered her to join his club.

Hardly a glowing recommendation from an abject failure who will be voted out big style in the next GE ,even with the "Oprah Winfrey" ,the very Rev AL Sharpton ,and Jesse Jackson factor screaming from the roof tops that "our time is now"! Edited by Colin Yai

Hardly a glowing recommendation from an abject failure who will be voted out big style in the next GE ,even with the "Oprah Winfrey" ,the very Rev AL Sharpton ,and Jesse Jackson factor screaming from the roof tops that "our time is now"!

Unlike Thaksin, sorry, Yingluck, he was voted in by the American public under American style democracy, and not by the uneducated buffalos, as some posters here like to refer to the Thai voters.

So in the next GE, it will be the Republicans winning

If you like the taste of red meat, then the Iowa straw poll is where you want to be.

Over one warm Saturday, those jostling for the Republican nomination tossed great lumps of the stuff - literally and rhetorically - at their supporters.

Outside the Iowa State University stadium, queues snaked over the concrete as party activists waited patiently to pick up the food provided free by the candidates. Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann served up corn dogs; Texan Congressman Ron Paul's team gave out hotdogs; former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty's campaign handed out barbecued ribs to his supporters.

Hmmmm.... this reminds me of something.......

begin removed ...

So in the next GE, it will be the Republicans winning

If you like the taste of red meat, then the Iowa straw poll is where you want to be.

Over one warm Saturday, those jostling for the Republican nomination tossed great lumps of the stuff - literally and rhetorically - at their supporters.

Outside the Iowa State University stadium, queues snaked over the concrete as party activists waited patiently to pick up the food provided free by the candidates. Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann served up corn dogs; Texan Congressman Ron Paul's team gave out hotdogs; former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty's campaign handed out barbecued ribs to his supporters.

Hmmmm.... this reminds me of something.......

Don't, just stick to the topic "Obama congratulates Ms. Yingluck". Unless you really want to compare the successful PM Yingluck with possible Presidential Candidate for the G.O.P Mrs. Bachmann. I'm afraid that wouldn't be fair on Ms. Yingluck ;)