Good Book Shops

janeweller

IMO, Kinokuniya is the best. They have a large shop at the Emporium and an even larger one at Paragon.

I try to avoid Asia Books which I find totally disorganized and also quite a bit more expensive than Kinokuniya.

There used to be a second hand book shop further down from the Emporium just pass Soi 26 - I think...don't know whether it's still there.

There are two good secondhand bookshops on Khaosan Rd (one a few metres up a small covered alleyway off Khaosan ), and another.......the best.......and cheapest....... one being in the alley running up next to the temple at the end of Khaosan Rd. Turn right at the end of Khaosan, cross over street to temple, then next left. Go up alley and it's on your right. They also buy back at half price.

Edited by Latindancer

There are two good secondhand bookshops on Khaosan Rd (one a few metres up a small covered alleyway off Khaosan ), and another.......the best.......and cheapest....... one being in the alley running up next to the temple at the end of Khaosan Rd. Turn right at the end of Khaosan, cross over street to temple, then next left. Go up alley and it's on your right. They also buy back at half price.

Used books in Khaosan are over-priced, and beware of the ones that look new - they look new because they are - usually popular titles like ones from Ben Elton, Dan Brown - the drawback is they are pirated copies - look great but the pages fall out moments after buying. You will recognise them as they wrap them in clear plastic, unlike all the other books.

Dasa, as already mentioned, is the best place to go. Their website is great too, and if you can't be bothered to sit in traffic going there, they will send to you.

There is a little book shop on Soi Rambuttri near Khao an Road right next to Sitdhi Guesthouse and Gypsy's Lips Travel and Bar. It's family owned and the lady is lovely. They have books of all languages and not too pricey either! :)

Latindancer is talking about the same bookshop as me.

Edited by phuturatica

While we're at it, how about discussing the worst bookshop in Bangkok.

It will come as no surprise that I have a nomination.

On Sukhumvit between Soi's 11 & 13 (or is it 13 & 15) there has for years been a street level, open front used bookstore. Though rather large, bookshelves only line the right wall as one enters. These bookshelves hold a totally unorganized array of some of the mustiest, most dog eared and generally out of date paperback volumes imaginable. I have browsed there, only to realize that most of the titles are the same ones that were there the last time I ventured in. I am not actually sure if he ever really does sell any. The proprietor is adamantly disinterested in any literary discourse whatsoever. He is however, pretty good at spitting.

I know that many of you have walked pass this place and wondered, as have I; "How in the hell does this place stay open?"

Edited by dddave

Surprisingly, the earlier posts seem to have missed one I often go to for secondhand English-language books, and it's pretty good.. I never pay attention to the name, but it is near Villa Market on Sukhumvit. If you get off at Phrom Phong BTS Station, exit on the opposite side of the street from Emporium, walking towards Asoke, between Soi 31 and the Villa Market there, just a couple of doors before the soi where Villa is located, is a pleasant Thai-run second-hand book store which is overflowing with books. There are also books in French, German, Scandanavian languages, and miscellaneous others. One nice thing about this place is that they take books in trade, giving you a good discount on anything else you buy. They don't give much if you're selling for cash, but for trade it's not bad. Highly recommend.

Surprisingly, the earlier posts seem to have missed one I often go to for secondhand English-language books, and it's pretty good.. I never pay attention to the name, but it is near Villa Market on Sukhumvit. If you get off at Phrom Phong BTS Station, exit on the opposite side of the street from Emporium, walking towards Asoke, between Soi 31 and the Villa Market there, just a couple of doors before the soi where Villa is located, is a pleasant Thai-run second-hand book store which is overflowing with books. There are also books in French, German, Scandanavian languages, and miscellaneous others. One nice thing about this place is that they take books in trade, giving you a good discount on anything else you buy. They don't give much if you're selling for cash, but for trade it's not bad. Highly recommend.

With Dasa just across the road it's easy to miss that one.Worth having a look if your in the area though. Plus the Emporium is right there.

I like Dasa as they alwayts give a good price for books they want, plus they have their entire catalog on an excel spreadsheet, updated daily, which is handy.

You are talking about Elite Used Books.

It is just past Villa on Sukhumvit at 33/1.

I have been shopping there for 10 years or more.

Nice people, and a decent "literature" section in English. Not a huge selection but i always managed to find something interesting.