Suvarnabhumi Airport To Crack Down On Rogue Taxi Drivers

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flew in about 10 days ago, domestic flight. The rogue taxi drivers were even in the baggage claim area harassing passengers standing at the luggage carousel.

No they weren't. Don't make up stories.

Learn to Say

Meter thankyou

in Thai

Funny thing fixed broken meters many times I entered Taxis,

Usual get the answer sorry thought to tourist ha ha

Flew in about 10 days ago, domestic flight. The rogue taxi drivers were even in the baggage claim area harassing passengers standing at the luggage carousel.

No they weren't. Don't make up stories.

:thumbsup:

Exactly. One of the uniformed airport limo taxi girls probably asked him if he needed a taxi, he said no and she went away. Then he spreads the rumor that "rogue taxi drivers" have infiltrated the sterile security area to "harass" passengers.

What a loser.

I always go up the the departure area for a taxi. Never a single problem there.

Good that's fine for you and anyone who knows the ropes, I do the same.

But the main problem being that taxi's should be stationed on the arrivals floor, I would think thats where majority want them. The Pattaya bus is taken from the floor Below arrivals... What t f ,,are the brainy thinking of---I am nearly convinced that it's done to F the tourist up, (Thailand joke on foreigners )---sorry if my idea is a poor one. even if it makes sense.

This is an add on to the previous post, we always get involved with someones experience at luggage collection --or where they get their taxi from--or some other related comment,I do try to tackle the thread with my own practical remedy (right or wrong) a comment to improve the service.

Normally no one will respond or I have yet to see any sensible suggestions to improve ( similar to mine) =one area to get transport OUT of the airport--suggest arrivals. everyone will therefore go there, and with a rank there first come first serve. Quick easy- meter or agree a long distant price.

There would be no bogus taxis in the rank, they wouldn't dare, encroach and the rank taxis would soon see them off.

My experience has been pretty good. No rogue drivers bother me and the taxi line moves rather quickly. However, 3X out of 5 I have to ask for the meter. Why? Is it so hard for the drivers to be honest?

I loathe taking taxis to and from big city airports around the world. The drivers in the west seem to have been recruited from pond scum. The exceptions are LHR/London and Singapore where there is a professionalism, London & Singapore are the only place where I can say, it is a pleasure to ride in a taxi. Toronto, Tokyo & Shanghai are ok as well. It seems Paris, NYC, KL and alot of other big citiy airports have the same problem as BKK. Perhaps an effort should be made to learn from LHR and SIN. They are doing something right. And then there is Amsterdam with its wonderful airport bus, with polite and smiling drivers. If the first impression of a city is made at the airport, then AMS & SIN win hands down.

I have actually been solicited on an upper floor getting on to escalator - it was a woman whispering TAXI TAXI. That was a while back.

Its not just that these people have paid bribe money to get inside the terminal and stir up some fast business because they are ambitious. The real issue I have is that these people can be dangerous.

Not like I have not caught my share of taxis upstairs. Used to do it all the time in DM before this little secret was even public. But...some day - one of you will get into a taxi and that taxi will get ticketed and the driver will want money for that and you are going to have a row over it.

Airport link - LOVE IT

not there yet--No 16.......................I would think to save confusion that taxis only operate at Arrivals. All taxis taking passengers to departures either go home (if no permit to pick up )-or go to arrivals to join the rank. AND a proper rank with a queue like at European Rail stations............1st come first serve. NO DESK MANNED BY THE DAUGHTER of a top airport official--giving tickets out at inflated prices, These mafia desks are a rip off as are rouge, and AOT limo's. example--Pattaya to airport 850 bht registered taxis--airport to Pattaya 1,500.

If they are getting rid of what they call rouge-then get rid of the lot, they are all rouge............some of the rouge taxis are good and reasonable BUT you take a big chance-as they are not controlled. If the airport were charging reasonable fares maybe there would not be so many rouges around. SO to sum up--GET RID OF YOUR DESK SET UP.....and join the queue orderly with security informing the queue -NEXT.... post office style.. easy.

If you want a taxi go to arrivals as the taxi's are there waiting.

How wrong can you be?

A taxi dropping of a passenger at departures, IF he is licensed, must go to the taxi waiting area near the Transportation Center and wait his turn to join the arrivals taxi rank.

Thus when you take a taxi into town at departures level you shortcut the licensed taxi drivers and you probably will sit in a non-licensed taxi.

It would be nice if you could understand that is why you are NOT allowed to take a taxi at departures :whistling:

I have not seen any touts at the baggage carousels, have not met any people lately trying to stop my on the way down to the taxi stand and have not had to wait more than one minute at the taxi desk, and the 50 baht surcharge is not a scam, you get a licensed taxi and a ticket allowing you to complain if anything goes wrong. I do not recall problems with taxi drivers ex-airport.

As for the AOT limousines, they offer a superior and more expensive service.

October and November will see me again taking taxis at Swampy, I don't think you will hear me complaining.

I must be a rarity but I've never had a problem with a taxi driver in terms of fares. I've told a few of them to slow down though and they have always complied.

I only grab the meter taxis of course and just ignore the touts in arrivals.

You are a bit like me, the Thailand of many of the posters on Thai Visa is just one I don't experience.

I've been through BKK Airport more times that I care to remember this year, and the experience is always the same. I don't get hassled and they turn the meter on without hesitation.

The ones inside the luggage area are the AOT Limo people - fine if you want them, but they are hardly touts who harangue you.

When you walk out into the arrivals section, it is fairly good, with most of the 'touts' I believe simply people there to pick up passengers who have already pre-booked a car.

Yes, the occasional 'mis-der, you wan Taxi? But that is maybe one time out of 10. I also have had touts approach me in Sydney, Melbourne and Heathrow...part and parcel of international travel these days.

not there yet--No 16.......................I would think to save confusion that taxis only operate at Arrivals. All taxis taking passengers to departures either go home (if no permit to pick up )-or go to arrivals to join the rank. AND a proper rank with a queue like at European Rail stations............1st come first serve. NO DESK MANNED BY THE DAUGHTER of a top airport official--giving tickets out at inflated prices, These mafia desks are a rip off as are rouge, and AOT limo's. example--Pattaya to airport 850 bht registered taxis--airport to Pattaya 1,500.

If they are getting rid of what they call rouge-then get rid of the lot, they are all rouge............some of the rouge taxis are good and reasonable BUT you take a big chance-as they are not controlled. If the airport were charging reasonable fares maybe there would not be so many rouges around. SO to sum up--GET RID OF YOUR DESK SET UP.....and join the queue orderly with security informing the queue -NEXT.... post office style.. easy.

How wrong can you be?

A taxi dropping of a passenger at departures, IF he is licensed, must go to the taxi waiting area near the Transportation Center and wait his turn to join the arrivals taxi rank.

Thus when you take a taxi into town at departures level you shortcut the licensed taxi drivers and you probably will sit in a non-licensed taxi.

It would be nice if you could understand that is why you are NOT allowed to take a taxi at departures :whistling:

I have not seen any touts at the baggage carousels, have not met any people lately trying to stop my on the way down to the taxi stand and have not had to wait more than one minute at the taxi desk, and the 50 baht surcharge is not a scam, you get a licensed taxi and a ticket allowing you to complain if anything goes wrong. I do not recall problems with taxi drivers ex-airport.

October and November will see me again taking taxis at Swampy, I don't think you will hear me complaining.

Did you get mixed up with my post??? I said taxis OUT --should only be at 1 place and that would be at arrivals--then no mix up. the taxi desk is a scam--they should not be there-period- a rank is first come first serve all licensed so you can report any wrongs without some big wigs daughter running a ticket business--- Kings cross--no Heathrow --no ---most airports rail, post offices, banks, you tell me where you need a desk-you pay them for what --the rank has only licensed taxis.

Why would anyone have to go up floors to get taxis???. tell me why should you go down to taxi stands, outside the meeting point door 2....is where the ranks should be ---anyone agree ???

How wrong can you be?

Did you get mixed up with my post??? I said taxis OUT --should only be at 1 place and that would be at arrivals--then no mix up. the taxi desk is a scam--they should not be there-period- a rank is first come first serve all licensed so you can report any wrongs without some big wigs daughter running a ticket business--- Kings cross--no Heathrow --no ---most airports rail, post offices, banks, you tell me where you need a desk-you pay them for what --the rank has only licensed taxis.

Why would anyone have to go up floors to get taxis???. tell me why should you go down to taxi stands, outside the meeting point door 2....is where the ranks should be ---anyone agree ???

They tried the ranks outside the meeting doors. Turned into a bit of a schmozzel with drop offs of private passengers happening there as well. Best be left downstairs.

Public taxis are well signposted anyway once you walk outside. And that is if you don't already know about them, neglected to read your guide book on your 13 hour flight from EU land.

As for the AOT taxi's they serve a purpose. I was initially skeptical of them too, but I've come around. Yes, they are probably owned by some well connected daughter but they they are a great way for your risk adverse, newbies to Asia. And still much cheaper than the equivalent trip just about anywhere else in the rest of the world. And they don't hassle you.

In my case, I use them when the company is paying, or when I have my family with me, including 2 little girls. The drivers are better, their cars fit more gear, you can install a portable car seat in them. The driver stick to the speed limit if asked (and don't think you are a nutter for asking), and they are polite and nice, and in all honesty, a nice introduction to what can be a bit of a crazy city for the uninitiated.

How wrong can you be?

They tried the ranks outside the meeting doors. Turned into a bit of a schmozzel with drop offs of private passengers happening there as well. Best be left downstairs.

Public taxis are well signposted anyway once you walk outside. And that is if you don't already know about them, neglected to read your guide book on your 13 hour flight from EU land.

As for the AOT taxi's they serve a purpose. I was initially skeptical of them too, but I've come around. Yes, they are probably owned by some well connected daughter but they they are a great way for your risk adverse, newbies to Asia. And still much cheaper than the equivalent trip just about anywhere else in the rest of the world. And they don't hassle you.

In my case, I use them when the company is paying, or when I have my family with me, including 2 little girls. The drivers are better, their cars fit more gear, you can install a portable car seat in them. The driver stick to the speed limit if asked (and don't think you are a nutter for asking), and they are polite and nice, and in all honesty, a nice introduction to what can be a bit of a crazy city for the uninitiated.

samran-good reply, only the bit you said they tried it --but I think that was when ALL the doors were open at arrivals...but the point of the No. 2 door meeting point would still be the only place to have a rank. The drop offs should be only that, and rank cars dropping off to join the end of the queue, non rank drop off and away with an official-s- to make sure they do not hang around. Just seems pointless to have to go to departures for taxies, if the system was as I suggested. BUT I understand why posters do that--but again I say we should not have to do it. ALL buses and taxis to ferry passengers out to further destinations---AT ARRIVALS.

Melbourne - Yes - $2. Sydney - Yes - $3.50

How hard is it to go down a level to get to the taxi rank?

Edited by whybother

Melbourne - Yes - $2. Sydney - Yes - $3.50

So I agree, but why the need when the rank taxi's are legal and in line waiting, maybe London sees the thing different (or maybe all G.B.) maybe soon there will be 2 desks-so you pay the first one for a permit to take a taxi...HA...and the second desk you pay to verify that the 1st desk is legit,. :lol::cheesy:.

So I agree, but why the need when the rank taxi's are legal and in line waiting, maybe London sees the thing different (or maybe all G.B.) maybe soon there will be 2 desks-so you pay the first one for a permit to take a taxi...HA...and the second desk you pay to verify that the 1st desk is legit,. :lol::cheesy:.

Seeing as the desk doesn't take any money, I don't really why you would be worried about it being legit.

Paying 50 baht to keep most of the scammers out isn't too much.

On arrival, I am always taking a taxi from the departure gates upstairs.

Not because I want to save a few baht on their booking fees... but just because I hate to wait! cool.gif

I do the same, but for both reasons: save a penny, and save time too.

Seeing as the desk doesn't take any money, I don't really why you would be worried about it being legit.

You said--Seeing as the desk doesn't take any money, ????????????????????

This I don't understand--you stated they dont take--then you said-paying 50 bht ???????????

Why does paying 50 bht keep the scammers out. ??

Before I said just having a rank-in line-the taxis there will not let rogues in. rogues operate at many locations because people go all over looking for them,there are so many legit taxis around no one would have to go anywhere else-except door 2. sorry the desk is no excuse.NO NEED. So 1 rank,no waiting or even queuing no rogues. security at this point only-or airport police, I think this is simple.

That bleeding airport is crap, (for a new one) there are so many faults from it's opening day-Miracle

This I don't understand--you stated they dont take--then you said-paying 50 bht ???????????

Before I said just having a rank-in line-the taxis there will not let rogues in. rogues operate at many locations because people go all over looking for them,there are so many legit taxis around no one would have to go anywhere else-except door 2. sorry the desk is no excuse.NO NEED. So 1 rank,no waiting or even queuing no rogues. security at this point only-or airport police, I think this is simple.

That bleeding airport is crap, (for a new one) there are so many faults from it's opening day-Miracle

you seem to be on a bit of a rant-a-thon.

the desk doesn't take money. They issue you a ticket which contains the cab drivers details. You pay the extra 50 baht to the cab driver on top of the metered fare.

Hardly rocket science. But you'd know what if you use the taxi desks. Which you obviously don't given your confusion over the matter.

you seem to be on a bit of a rant-a-thon.

the desk doesn't take money. They issue you a ticket which contains the cab drivers details. You pay the extra 50 baht to the cab driver on top of the metered fare.

Hardly rocket science. But you'd know what if you use the taxi desks. Which you obviously don't given your confusion over the matter.

Hey rocket scientist--Did it occur to you that the driver has to give the 50 bht to the desk, whatever way --who pays for the desk then ???---they do it voluntary ???? You think of your experience is the law of the land ??? I have paid the desk 1,500 bht to go to Pattaya, I get a ticket for what, and I have avoided the desk and got a cab, the variations are TIT. it is not all as you say---------but my point is WHY A DESK????? rank airpot security that the rank is orderly hey presto..

I have not seen another post of a best position to have the rank, you and most seem to swap Ideas on each and every personal experience only NOT address the solution, I tried to do that in my posts but as usual nit picking at posts. give me a better transparent solution to be rid of the rogue taxi.

Don't understand you guys... if you fly in so regularly, why don't you have a fixed taxi company picking you up? When I arrive, I ask my friends in Pattaya to send me the driver... he waits in front of exit door 4 on arrival level... with a sign with my name on... carries my luggage to the car... waits till I finished my first cigarette after arrival... knows where to stop on the way to Pattaya (the service station with the Starbucks...)... and drops me in front of my hotel for a 1'000 Baht including all highway fees...

Don't understand you guys... if you fly in so regularly, why don't you have a fixed taxi company picking you up? When I arrive, I ask my friends in Pattaya to send me the driver... he waits in front of exit door 4 on arrival level... with a sign with my name on... carries my luggage to the car... waits till I finished my first cigarette after arrival... knows where to stop on the way to Pattaya (the service station with the Starbucks...)... and drops me in front of my hotel for a 1'000 Baht including all highway fees...

Maybe because a lot of these people fly irregularly or just don't know any better. Generally you are going to pay more for having your own guy as well. One way or another. 1000 sounds a bit cheap to me unless the guy drives a sheit box or a tin can. Especially since he is making a round trip just for you.. I would think someone good and in demand would want more than that.

Edited by ES1

Maybe because a lot of these people fly irregularly or just don't know any better. Generally you are going to pay more for having your own guy as well. One way or another. 1000 sounds a bit cheap to me unless the guy drives a sheit box or a tin can. Especially since he is making a round trip just for you.. I would think someone good and in demand would want more than that.

Here we go again, posters tell us all what and how THEY get out the airport, It's hardly worth getting into conversations over what you do. it's about rogue taxi's or a.n. other ways to organise the airport taxi situ., no one wants to give an opinion, ( I do this-I do that) for gods sake have a thought for the stricken HUB, and Ideas to improve, NOT how you do to get around the system.

Are we not talking about holiday makers and their probs and try to suggest the easiest ways for ALL.

Not ex pat experience, although some of the info is helpful, but the point is this will not help the once a year tourist.

To liven the topic up, posters lets have your thoughts where the taxi rank should be. ????

Edited by ginjag

never had a problem with the meters but a few guys waited till I said METER! :-)) Most I have ever waited for a taxi at Swampy is 7mins at best but I have a great story.

First time I came here I got a comp room from TG. I was in the queue along with a bunch of Pakis behind me. The Paki's would move their chit up in front of mine, then the guy (Thai) behind the counter would smile and move it back. This went on for awhile... I guess the Paki's in true Sub Continent style were hoping to just wear the guy out. I was pretty angry but said nothing as the guy had me covered.

Finally, the Thai blew up at all three of them and told them if they touched the chit once more he would tear it up.

They were all big eyed and never touched that ticket again :-))

AIRPORT LINK ROCKS

Edited by bangkokburning

Hey rocket scientist--Did it occur to you that the driver has to give the 50 bht to the desk, whatever way --who pays for the desk then ???---they do it voluntary ???? You think of your experience is the law of the land ??? I have paid the desk 1,500 bht to go to Pattaya, I get a ticket for what, and I have avoided the desk and got a cab, the variations are TIT. it is not all as you say---------but my point is WHY A DESK????? rank airpot security that the rank is orderly hey presto..

I have not seen another post of a best position to have the rank, you and most seem to swap Ideas on each and every personal experience only NOT address the solution, I tried to do that in my posts but as usual nit picking at posts. give me a better transparent solution to be rid of the rogue taxi.

What is wrong with the current position of the rank?

There is not enough room for it on the arrivals level, with all the other people waiting. If it was on the arrivals level, then the people that have family/friends/drivers picking them up would complain about it being too busy or about having to go to a different level.

There should be no problem for people to find it as there are signs pointing to it. It's down 1 floor on a travelator so there should be any problem for people to get their with their luggage.

Having the taxi rank organised and having people take the taxi details helps keep most of the scammers out of there. Fifty baht is not much to pay to have the organisation and to keep the most of the scammers away.

Can you imagine how many problems there would be if it was unregulated?

What is wrong with the current position of the rank?

There is not enough room for it on the arrivals level, with all the other people waiting. If it was on the arrivals level, then the people that have family/friends/drivers picking them up would complain about it being too busy or about having to go to a different level.

There should be no problem for people to find it as there are signs pointing to it. It's down 1 floor on a travelator so there should be any problem for people to get their with their luggage.

Having the taxi rank organised and having people take the taxi details helps keep most of the scammers out of there. Fifty baht is not much to pay to have the organisation and to keep the most of the scammers away.

Can you imagine how many problems there would be if it was unregulated?

Sorry but the airport should make sure that security is at the head of the queue, just to say NEXT get in and off, NEXT and so on. There are too many people who want fingers in the pie without having a 50 bht payment before you get your taxi--it's stupid it should be a free service paid for by---TAT--AOT--or whatever,, it;s the principal that I object to not 50 bht.

I can agree that 1 floor only is great as long as the tourist can understand that is where you get all your transport out the airport...............Swampy keeps altering these. understanding that how many persons pay 50 bht in a 1 given day ??? wow............and in the month ???? amounting to-and into who's pocket, TRANSPARENCY is what we all expect not to condone another rip off.

If the job is run properly all non rank taxis cannot line up, the rank taxis wouldn't allow em to do it. so your 50 bht does nothing to keep the scammers away. only same as a bank queue--NEXT please.

Ranks are naturally organised---RAIL stations proved that in the U.K. I had a taxi business, so I can assure you no one gets a look in that doesn't have a taxi airport license to operate....

I see no reason why taxis at arrival level would not work. They have those two lanes as in departures and it works well there. I'd put them at both ends and aot limos in between. Private cars at back lane as they already are. They just need to find parking elsewhere for all those parked limos and vans with effective call off system like in Singapore. Buses and other mass transit is better at basement level.

Naturally this means they'd need to let the airport work as it was designed starting from escalated and doors. And to get rid off the cattle ranch fencing.

Also could knock down row of duty frees to get some space on arrivals and allow ppl to que indoors etc.

What comes to rogue taxis I reckon the legit ones are now at departures. So get rid of those ancient cars run by the airport mafia and allow all honest licensed city cabs to join the line and pick up passengers. Will see those rust buckets to disappear in years time. Keep the 50 baht extra to compensate the sometimes long wait.

My 2 cents....