Vigo Champ Sat Nav

biggie371

I remember several threads about the built in ones were people have had problems upgrading the maps (the dealers have no idea). I also would go for a window mounted unit for 2 reasons.. you can mount it were you want (easier to see) and there are many more to choose from. from 3.5 to 7 screens, junction view etc

i have had x2 Garmin units-now sold

i have Kenwood /garmin unit on my kenwood touch screen unit

i have updated to maps 11 ? with the help of a member on here-thank you again

the inbuilt unit is so much better than the garmin seperates

its worth the extra money........

I bought a Yaris for err in doors and then had a Worldtech unit installed. A very nice 7.5 inch touch screen unit that also has TV / DVD / radio / USB / Ipod / Internet / reversing camera etc etc. Very happy with it and that came in fitted at 28,000 baht

OES for Toyota they tell me ?blink.gif

Both of my Garmin Nuvis came with a self adhesive plastic disk. I was a little apprehensive about putting them on the dash but eventually did. It is much easier and more secure to mount the Nuvi on the dash rather than the windshield. I put them on my truck dash and my car dash. I have no desire to have an in dash unit.

Cheers for your thoughts and advice on this guys, out of interest, how much is that kenwood/garmin unit timekeeper? and I take it thats an inbuilt unit yeah?

....bob, OES for toyota? what does that mean?

cheers.

the kenwood set up owes me about 65,000 total

the kenwood /garmin unit is about 20,000 baht alone and is an add-on to the kenwood touch screen base unit that fits in the dash space when the standard toyota unit is removed

If it's the same unit as installed in Fortuner then personally I wouldn't get it again and would go for an aftermarket dash unit. Reason being is driver / passenger cannot do any input to it while the car is in motion. You may say that you'll input everything before setting off but 90% of the time this is never the case.

Updated maps from Toyota are fairly expensive too.

I would say definately not worth the extra money but only my humble opinion.

Thanks Timekeeper and Robertsonmartin, I'll check out both the kenwood and the garmin dash/window mouthed units.

I tried looking on toyota's site to find their sat nav unit info, but drew a blank, but what I've been told here has certainly helped.

Cheers again

If it's the same unit as installed in Fortuner then personally I wouldn't get it again and would go for an aftermarket dash unit. Reason being is driver / passenger cannot do any input to it while the car is in motion. You may say that you'll input everything before setting off but 90% of the time this is never the case.

its installed in a fortuner but it was not supplied by Toyota

this is an aftermarket touch screen kenwood unit that cost 39,000

the kenwood garmin GPS was added later

you can change your route as much as you want whilst on the move

it also re routes automatically if you choose not to follow its original instructions or traffic flow does not allow you to make the turn you wanted

maps are free to download if you know where to look and more importantly , how to install them

Thanks to a very helpful and informed TV member on here, i do, - thanks again for your help

i would not go back to Nuvi again after this experience with satnav

its a real pleasure to use......

it also re routes automatically if you choose not to follow its original instructions or traffic flow does not allow you to make the turn you wanted

maps are free to download if you know where to look and more importantly , how to install them

Thanks to a very helpful and informed TV member on here, i do, - thanks again for your help

@Timekeeper. Your Kenwood setup sounds nice. What is the model number of it?

Agree on the Nuvi (or the ESRI v11 map loaded in it), recently drove Phuket - Kanchanaburi - Phuket with the Toyota in-dash and the Nuvi going at the same time. Nuvi wanted to take me on a few weird detours.

Agree on the Nuvi (or the ESRI v11 map loaded in it), recently drove Phuket - Kanchanaburi - Phuket with the Toyota in-dash and the Nuvi going at the same time. Nuvi wanted to take me on a few weird detours.

If you read carefully you will see that Timekeeper installed a Kenwood Garmin GPS unit to his Kenwood touch screen. That means he has the same ESRI V11 map and operating format as a Thai firmware Garmin nuvi. I would speculate that your Garmin nuvi settings need to be optimized, there is no reason why your nuvi should want to make "a few weird detours" if set properly, although the car unit does have a few extra settings available. You can also enable/disable Safe Mode to allow inputs while the car is in motion.

The current ESRI map loaded in Toyota Nav system is V10. They don't have the updated version 11.1 and don't know when it will be available.The only way to put an updated map is to copy off the web if your are computer savvy. You can not buy updated map's as no one will sell for a Toyota unit. If you have the choices put a kenwood or another unit in your Toyota.

its not a current model but its given great service, not a single blip from new

its the DDX7039

i have a Kenwood CD changer attached and the kenwood Garmin unit with maps 11 installed

it also services, a reverse camera, i pod/ i phone, TV, USB, DVD, VCD and dual zone for the headrest monitors to function seperately to the main console and loads of other stuff

the manual is like a paperback book.

its a great unit........

post-45550-0-87663200-1317604264_thumb.j

post-45550-0-73697200-1317604298_thumb.j

post-45550-0-04354200-1317604545_thumb.j

post-45550-0-63705400-1317604561_thumb.j

Edited by timekeeper

The current ESRI map loaded in Toyota Nav system is V10. They don't have the updated version 11.1 and don't know when it will be available.The only way to put an updated map is to copy off the web if your are computer savvy. You can not buy updated map's as no one will sell for a Toyota unit. If you have the choices put a kenwood or another unit in your Toyota.

That is also how you update the Kenwood GPS map, download from the internet.

If you read carefully you will see that Timekeeper installed a Kenwood Garmin GPS unit to his Kenwood touch screen. That means he has the same ESRI V11 map and operating format as a Thai firmware Garmin nuvi. I would speculate that your Garmin nuvi settings need to be optimized, there is no reason why your nuvi should want to make "a few weird detours" if set properly, although the car unit does have a few extra settings available. You can also enable/disable Safe Mode to allow inputs while the car is in motion.

Yes you can disable safe mode on the Nuvi, never said you couldn't, but not on the in-dash toyota I as wrote in the first reply.