Samui Population

Beng

The population of Samui consists of 4 main groups of residents. Local islanders, mainland Thais, expats and tourists.

In the mid 80s, Samui's population was of around 20.000 locals. Just let us assume, that this number still stands.

Now, there are 12.000 hotel rooms on Samui. Depending on the occupancy rate in the hi/lo season, there are always 3.000-20.000 tourists on the island.

The proper hotels alone, employ app.5.000 mainland thais. In addition to that, there's all the helpers, who work at the locally owned, bungalow type resorts. I give that another 5.000.

Plus we have the construction workers, the mainland business people plus their staff, a fleet of girls and of course, the thais working for falang.

There are most certainly more mainland thais than locals. Could be 30.000+ ??

The expats are the minority group in the low season. But how many are we ?? Hotel GMs, chefs, bar & restaurant operators, tour reps, real estate agents, property developers, retired people, maybe 10.000 expats ??

That would put the total no. to a 63 - 80.000 population. I think that's about right. Or anyone disagree?

You need to redo the numbers.

As I understand it the registered population is 50,000 people. That was how Samui changed its status.

The real 'illegal' workers number is also quite high.

Another yardstick is Bangkok Airways. They crate in 1.5 million a year, buy obviously not all are tourists. Then there are the ferries!

Lots of tourists now stay in private villas (or non-registered hotels/guesthouses)

Good luck, this will help you to sleep at nights (just like counting sheep). I have no trouble sleeping at night and so I will guess that the real number is double your estimate.

Edited by Tropicalevo

There are 60.000+ registered Samui Thais, workers and stuff and people without work from Isaan more than 200.000, tourists appr 800.000 per year and the rest? don't know...expats 10.000-20.000? others from the mainland, Bangkok, Laos, Nepal etc etc....no idea

There are enough people to support three Tescos, one BigC and one Makro.

and.....

58 7/11's, similar number of FamilyMarts and probably double that number of tailors B)

....and Samui has to be an unhealthy place to live as most residents and tourists must be constantly ill to keep the dozens of pharmacies open and growing in numbers. :blink: