Midnight Ban On Alcohol Now In Effect

george

I use to party in Thailand till wee hours in the morning when I understand what Thailand is all about, then a couple of years back they were told to shutdown at 3am which was still fine because some places were still serving drinks with the lighs and sound turn off, then it was 2am.. my god it was too early.... and now midnight..... I think we will have to close all doors pay some waitress and start sreving beers in my hotel room.... !!!!

Just curious, was in Wat Thammakhai a a few weeks ago with my gf parents, and met some of her other family member, there were pretty hostile when I was having a beer?? The whole family was looking at me with a type of stare, was just wondering the temple taught its followers not to smoke and drink? I was quite shock in the temple to see how they pray!

I am a free thinker and I do not ususally attend religious ceremony or such, so if I offended anyone, I am sorry :D

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

I dont think it affected the tourism revenue at all in fact.

:o Nah will always be places - same shi*e different day.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

Venues, does that mean bars? If so will they stop serving booze but remain open? In every zone? :D

The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts
I'm quite pleased about it really, as just earlier I was thinking I might do 'a Lampard' and give up booze for an entire year, the mini mart I can see from my balcony is my worst enemy. :o

This madcap ruling might actually turn out to be a real blessing for me. :D

I can see this being a long running topic. :D

This is REALLY scary when people are so blind they don't even see their choices being taken away from them!! I would rather decide for myself than have a dictator say when I can drink and when I can't!!! Just because YOU have a problem or have to be forced to stop does not mean they have to have a law saying everyone else has to as well!!

They think these new laws will reduce alcohol consumption, but it will actually increase and cause more crime. This is only creating more inconveniences. On the way home from work I can't even stop by the store and pickup a bottle of wine for dinner!! This is just pathetic and stupid thinking!!

I'm certain this is a troll. Nobody could be so stupid as to be in Thailand that long and not know that it's very obscene to drink inside a temple.

cv

I use to party in Thailand till wee hours in the morning when I understand what Thailand is all about, then a couple of years back they were told to shutdown at 3am which was still fine because some places were still serving drinks with the lighs and sound turn off, then it was 2am.. my god it was too early.... and now midnight..... I think we will have to close all doors pay some waitress and start sreving beers in my hotel room.... !!!!

Just curious, was in Wat Thammakhai a a few weeks ago with my gf parents, and met some of her other family member, there were pretty hostile when I was having a beer?? The whole family was looking at me with a type of stare, was just wondering the temple taught its followers not to smoke and drink? I was quite shock in the temple to see how they pray!

I am a free thinker and I do not ususally attend religious ceremony or such, so if I offended anyone, I am sorry  :o

All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

Venues, does that mean bars? If so will they stop serving booze but remain open? In every zone? :D

The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts
I'm quite pleased about it really, as just earlier I was thinking I might do 'a Lampard' and give up booze for an entire year, the mini mart I can see from my balcony is my worst enemy. :o

This madcap ruling might actually turn out to be a real blessing for me. :D

I can see this being a long running topic. :D

This is REALLY scary when people are so blind they don't even see their choices being taken away from them!! I would rather decide for myself than have a dictator say when I can drink and when I can't!!! Just because YOU have a problem or have to be forced to stop does not mean they have to have a law saying everyone else has to as well!!

They think these new laws will reduce alcohol consumption, but it will actually increase and cause more crime. This is only creating more inconveniences. On the way home from work I can't even stop by the store and pickup a bottle of wine for dinner!! This is just pathetic and stupid thinking!!

Its blind when you dont think many choices have not been taken away from you already. If I wanted to go and smoke cannabis or drop an E I can't because I'm in Thailand and the laws prohibit that. So now there is an extra law prohibiting the use of another drug, so what?

In Family Mart at 1:30 this morning, I just moved the cardboard aside, and pulled a can of beer from their fridge, they sold it without question.

My attitude is, if they say "no booze" to me, they have to put the beer, and all the other items I want to buy back on the shelves.

Foodland once lost about 3,000 baht in trade by refusing to sell me a bottle of wine at midnight, I said no problem and left all my shopping on the till counter.

Once again a stupid idea from dictatorial politicians who have nothing better to do.

Foodland once lost about 3,000 baht in trade by refusing to sell me a bottle of wine at midnight, I said no problem and left all my shopping on the till counter.

That was nice of you, Foodland follows the law and u leave all your shopping on the counter for some poor sod to clear away because you had a little temper tantrum.

Well I wasn't actually drinking in the temple, it was the following day during dinner, the stares I got was horrifying...!!!!

I'm certain this is a troll. Nobody could be so stupid as to be in Thailand that long and not know that it's very obscene to drink inside a temple.

cv

I am a free thinker and I do not ususally attend religious ceremony or such, so if I offended anyone, I am sorry  :o

I have to disagree, think about when you were back home looking through holiday brochures. How many places do people eliminate just because there is no night life?

Closing venues at 12 midnight is a disaster waiting to happen and the backside will fall out the tourist trade.

Ok people who have come here before may return as they know what to expect but what of the millions of others looking for a new place to spend their fortnights holday? This continues then in time Bangkok as a holiday destination will die a dozen deaths.

Thailand should make up it's mind whether it is going forward or back to the dark ages...........to me this is as stupid as it gets......Closing bars and restricting drinking times is bordering on stupidity.........Is this supposed to reduce the amount of trouble caused by young people drinking or what?

Scotland proved the point years ago, that it kicks you in the ass..............They were closing bars at 10pm when England were opening theirs late.........It is a known fact, the shorter the drinking time the more drunks you get..guys get home, rush out and guzzle as much as they can get down their throats........here comes trouble :D Kids want to drink this just wont stop them.

What about the many workers who will have thier salaries cut due to working less hours......looks like the poor are getting it up the backside again :o I reckon the Thais involved in this decision are already practicing the Phrase "man mai chai Chan" "It wasn't me" :D

If they try and stop serving alcohol in bars (not just shops) past 12am, every day of th week, it *will* be a disaster.

I can't see them trying that though - it's just too fcking stupid. It'll be as daft as serving meat from endangered species in a conservation park.

Isn't it strange that most of the dissent here seems to come from farangs.

It is worth reminding ourselves that we are guests in someone elses country and that the administration is seeking to control something that really does need a measure of control.

Laws such as this, restricting drinking hours, have been in force in european countries for many, many years for exactly the same reasons that the authorities here are seeking to enforce them. The UK has been (until recently) no exception.

My fellow contributor (Noel) finds it funny that I would describe Pattaya as a 'wicked town'. Go into the websites of the Bangkok Post or the local Pattaya papers and look up how many murders there have been in the last 10 days including the Editor of one of those newspapers. Look at the late night carnage on the roads and (above all else) look at the ghoulish delight with which the local Cable TV stations carefully record each scene in all it's gory detail, including a suicide (Don't jump just yet luvvy - we haven't got the light right).

We are all to blame here - visitors, expatriate residents and Thai's alike. If there is an effort to clean it all up then we should support it and not pander to our own selfish desires and expectations.

Edited by Xeque

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

Yes, will always be places.... But why should I be forced to go to the effort of finding them.

Thaksin has a vision of the the kind of tourists he wants, and is attempting to discourage those he does not want through legislation.

Well, clearly he is not interested in me.... And well, I guess I don't need a country that doesn't want me.

I think there are plenty of places in South East Asia with beautiful tropical beaches, good food, and a much less regulated nightlife. Where I can find pretty much the same things I like about Thailand, without the aggravation.

Yes, will always be places.... But why should I be forced to go to the effort of finding them.

Thaksin has a vision of the the kind of tourists he wants, and is attempting to discourage those he does not want through legislation.

Well, clearly he is not interested in me.... And well, I guess I don't need a country that doesn't want me.

I think there are plenty of places in South East Asia with beautiful tropical beaches, good food, and a much less regulated nightlife. Where I can find pretty much the same things I like about Thailand, without the aggravation.

So are you saying you will not visit Thailand again, or is this an empty threat?

No offence or sarcasm intended, just making a discussion. Its just I heard a lot of this when the bars first changed their times to 2am closing, and then 1 am closing, and I'm not sure many people did go elsewhere.

Isn't it strange that most of the dissent here seems to come from farangs.

It is worth reminding ourselves that we are guests in someone elses country and that the administration is seeking to control something that really does need a measure of control.

Laws such as this, restricting drinking hours,  have been in force in european countries for many, many years for exactly the same reasons that the authorities here are seeking to enforce them.  The UK has been (until recently) no exception. 

My fellow contributor (Noel) finds it funny that I would describe Pattaya as a 'wicked town'.  Go into the websites of the Bangkok Post or the local Pattaya papers and look up how many murders there have been in the last 10 days including the Editor of one of those newspapers.  Look at the late night carnage on the roads and (above all else) look at the ghoulish delight with which the local Cable TV stations carefully record each scene in all it's gory detail, including a suicide (Don't jump just yet luvvy - we haven't got the light right).

We are all to blame here - visitors, expatriate residents and Thai's alike.  If there is an effort to clean it all up then we should support it and not pander to our own selfish desires and expectations.

I really don't think farrangs comment in this case are unusual your on a farrang forum essentially. Would be intersting to see if there were many comment on the Thai forums I'm sure there is.

The USA tried this a few years ago, and we called it "Prohibition." History tells what happened.

I don't drink when I go out, nor do I smoke much these days, but I wouldn't want my personal preferences to become the law of the land. Choice is an important part of any democracy (and Thailand's democracy is still in its infancy); it's far easier to remove choice than to restore it.

-FR

The USA tried this a few years ago, and we called it "Prohibition." History tells what happened.

Prohibition made alcohol illegal, this is not the case here, they are just changing the hours you can buy it.

In NZ it used to be called the six o'clock swill.It didn't work....all it did was make people drink up more quickly.They then changed the law to 10PM closing...same thing happened,except over more hours :o . Now you can stay open as much as you want, providing you have a permit etc.some pubs down by the wharf area used to open at 6AM to cater for the shift workers knocking off in the morning.

10 years ago, when chatting about Thailand I recommended any one to visit LOS, nowadays I ask: "why would you want to travel to LOS?"

Hmm, women, food, countryside, coastline, trekking, scuba diving, historical sites, weather, people, temples etc. :o

My parents are looking forward to visiting next year, I can't see them cancelling because they will not be able to buy a drink after midnight.

Taking the "Self Centered form of analysis" to this new law, I can say it his has little to no direct impact on my life........ I am early to retire and early to rise type of person, so the midnight curfew is no issue. Now, banning the sales of beer at my local mini-mart will force me to go to a Big-C or Carrefore earlier in the day to stock my fridge, rather than jump on the Honda and grab a few bottles of beer for my after dinner relaxation.

Now as for the tourist, well if you haven't scored by mid-night the government just probably did you a favor! This lessens the chance of waking to the "Coyote Ugly" girl of your nightmares....... :o

Please remember that young peolple on thier first overseas experience may be a little uncouth and a little hard to handle for a mature person that has " allready been there and done that".But many of these kids will grow into the wealthy middle aged and the memories of the countries that they first visited will be a deciding factor in future trips abroad.

When the shut off time was 2am, people staggered out at different times, right? And the really drunk drunks might hit the road at 2am.

With the shut off time at midnight. More drunks may hit the road between midnight and 1am. :D

Might be a good time to stay off the road and sidewalks! :o

So the upside might be that by 1am it'd be safer to be out!

In NZ it used to be called the six o'clock swill.It didn't work....all it did was make people drink up more quickly.They then changed the law to 10PM closing...same thing happened,except over more hours :o . Now you can stay open as much as you want, providing you have a permit etc.some pubs down by the wharf area used to open at 6AM to cater for the shift workers knocking off in the morning.

You are on to it. After the swill it was a crate or two ( 1 dozen or 2, big bottles ) and back to some poor suckers house.Drunk drivers everywhere but not all leaving the same places.

...Is this America all of a sudden LOL, ?...

Last time I checked you could get drinks in the US until 2 AM. In the UK however........

In Miami Bch the mini marts cannot sell after midnite but the bars and clubs are open till 5 am and there are afterhour clubs ! Vegas and most of Nevada is 24 hrs. So why is this like America ,I guess you've never been there or you'd know better!!

So are you saying you will not visit Thailand again, or is this an empty threat?

No offence or sarcasm intended, just making a discussion. Its just I heard a lot of this when the bars first changed their times to 2am closing, and then 1 am closing, and I'm not sure many people did go elsewhere.

No offense taken, this is an interesting question....

And the answer is "I'm not sure"

I first became enamored with Thailand several years ago, thought it was nearly heaven on earth, was coming 2~3 times a year, and even started studying the Thai language with the intention of retiring there in a few more years.

I will be going again around Christmas, but it was not my first choice. I was planning to go to Bali until they bombed it a month or so ago, and so I switched to Thailand.

I don't think I will never visit Thailand again, but certainly less often. I am now scouting alternative places to retire.

It's not just the objectionable (to me) attitude of the government, pehaps also some of the things I have learned about Thailand over the last few years, here on this forum and other places....

But to be honest, I have cooled off on Thailand recently. As it seems Thailand has cooled off towrds me. So I guess we're even.

And everybody gets what they want.

well moved to kl to a life of riley and am now spending my time between kl, singapore and jakarta.

kl most clubs open till 3-4.00am, singapore till 6.00am and in jakarta some clubs from friday afternoon 2pm right through to monday morning 10.00am.

so you have choices, if you dont like it, just move that's what i did!

At least by specifying opening times as well as closing times the authorities have closed the loophole where the bar closed at midnight and then opened for the next day's business at 1 minute past midnight.

One might wonder about the effect of midnight closing on the tourist trade.  My own feelings, living as  do near Pattaya, is that no tourist in their right mind should be out and about after midnight for their own safety in such a wicked town.  Other smaller resorts will probably suffer a little but as 'family' resorts they may already find that it is very quiet after midnight and so may not see any difference.

Closing at midnight will mean that 'ransoms' will be at an acceptable level by that time so 'jack out on the spree' can make his way back to his hotel earlier with his chosen partner for the night and break into the stock he had stashed there earlier in the day  :D

It will be like every other law in Thailand.  It's not the law itself - it's enforcing it fairly that will count.

My own feelings, living as do near Pattaya, is that no tourist in their right mind should be out and about after midnight for their own safety in such a wicked town.

Are you sure? Go back home :o

I've had no official info on this and unless a letter comes through the door I will be serving drinks until my place is empty. (3am :D :D :D )

Its a bullshit law and I don't believe that it will be inforced regarding bars etc.

Minimarts etc good, It will help stem the pissheads who wobble around the streets in pattaya all day.

If inforced though we will just start earlier again but it will destroy alot of people (MAINLY THAI's) so start using your heads MrT and co. :o

BREAKING NEWS:

Nationwide Midnight ban on alcohol now in effect

no-alcohol.jpg

The two daily periods when alcohol for personal consumption can be sold are 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight, director-general Utid Tamwatin said. These hours do not apply to transactions in wholesale quantities.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51068[/url]

[/i]

Yeesss! I'll stay an alcohlic with habits and schedule! I'll drink during mentioned periods 2-3 beers, all the other time I'll get wholesale quantities! :o