Budget Not Responding To Flood Crisis: Abhisit

webfact

Budget not responding to flood crisis: Abhisit

The Nation

30169540-01.jpg

The 2012 Budget Bill has failed to reflect on flood-related problems and neglected to factor in the post-flooding circumstances, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday.

"The government has made distorted assumptions on flood impacts when making budgetary allocations," he said, leading the opposition critique of the planned spendings.

Abhisit said he understood the spending outlay was done in the face of the flood crisis and time constraints.

"The opposition parties want to see a speedy disbursment of the budget to help flood victims," he said.

He said he would like to point out four points about the budgetary allocations.

Firstly, the spending plans are not compatible with the economic situation, particularly the projection for revenues in the face of flood damages.

Secondly, the government presents no clear plans on how to overcome the crisis.

Thirdly, the government fails to rearrange spending priorities despite the urgency for the post-flooding reconstruction. Unnecessary populist policies, such as the first-car scheme, still got the funding.

Fourthly, the government earmarks Bt120 billion in the central budget without any specifics on how the recovery efforts would be carried out for flood victims.

The Democrat Party leader called for the government to reassess the economic situation in order to brace for the budget deficit which he expects to increase beyond the projected Bt400 billion.

He said the government should review its spending priorities in order to free the funds for post-flooding reconstruction.

He also said during the 45-day vetting of the spending plans, the government should try to supply more details about recovery efforts, hence ensuring transparency.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-09

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you consider that there will be no new car production in Thailand for many months, scrapping the first car scheme and directing those funds to flood relief and recovery should be a no brainer. I guess that is why it is beyond the comprehension of the current government.

I'm with you, Evil Dr. Go Abhisit!

I predict abhisits time as pm will have been longer than the present incumbent and certainly more productive

Wrong on both counts. 1 Yingluck was elected by a landslide by the Thai electorate, Abhisit was not. 2 He was removed from office for being inept and notorious for being all talk and no action. It's time to face facts the Thai (not ex-pat farrang)electorate want Pheu Thai and Yingluck. If she was unpopular it would be obvious but in this huge crisis she has survived from ctiticism remarkably well. Indeed her brother Mr Thaksin was the only PM to be voted in twice in recent years. I can't believe that you guys really can't see what the Thai electorate want. I'm not Thai so I don't have to explain why they want what they want but to me and most Thai's it's obvious.

I predict abhisits time as pm will have been longer than the present incumbent and certainly more productive

Wrong on both counts. 1 Yingluck was elected by a landslide by the Thai electorate, Abhisit was not. 2 He was removed from office for being inept and notorious for being all talk and no action. It's time to face facts the Thai (not ex-pat farrang)electorate want Pheu Thai and Yingluck. If she was unpopular it would be obvious but in this huge crisis she has survived from ctiticism remarkably well. Indeed her brother Mr Thaksin was the only PM to be voted in twice in recent years. I can't believe that you guys really can't see what the Thai electorate want. I'm not Thai so I don't have to explain why they want what they want but to me and most Thai's it's obvious.

Your funny i fell off my stool into the water

thai rak thai means thai like thai people. Phua thai means for the thai. I cannot understand that you can't see the thai people who voted phua thai and before that TRT don't want you because you are not thai. Obvious or not?

Happy now?

Ahh..Productive, would that be calculated by the number of civilians the army shoots. If so then I'm sure he will be more productive.

Wrong on both counts. 1 Yingluck was elected by a landslide by the Thai electorate, Abhisit was not. 2 He was removed from office for being inept and notorious for being all talk and no action. It's time to face facts the Thai (not ex-pat farrang)electorate want Pheu Thai and Yingluck. If she was unpopular it would be obvious but in this huge crisis she has survived from ctiticism remarkably well. Indeed her brother Mr Thaksin was the only PM to be voted in twice in recent years. I can't believe that you guys really can't see what the Thai electorate want. I'm not Thai so I don't have to explain why they want what they want but to me and most Thai's it's obvious

:cheesy::passifier:

Don't really understand this post.

"she has survived from criticism remarkably well' You make it sound like she's out of the woods.

Please enlighten us as to what exactly is obvious about what Thais want? Obviously you're a 'farang' who's on the inside.

That was then ... and this is now.

Keep your eyes open and watch and see what the Thai electorate wants.

thai rak thai means thai like thai people. Phua thai means for the thai. I cannot understand that you can't see the thai people who voted phua thai and before that TRT don't want you because you are not thai. Obvious or not?Happy now?

So let's do a logic check here.... The Thai's have an election and vote for a Thai party which obviously means they want all foreigners out of Thailand? Jesus H Christ! What kind of logic is that? By the way I believe that the Thais want me here because they keep giving me visas and work permits I can't wait to see your 'logical' arguments to dissprove this.

<br />I predict abhisits time as pm will have been longer than the present incumbent and certainly more productive<br />
Don't really understand this post. she has survived from criticism remarkably well' You make it sound like she's out of the woods. Please enlighten us as to what exactly is obvious about what Thais want? Obviously you're a 'farang' who's on the inside.

I am on the inside because I have lived and worked here for over 12 years and still do. I work with Thai people and we often discuss politics. I was one of the few posters on this site who correctly predicted the election result. I predict she will serve her full term and most probably be reelected because there really is not an effective opposition especially with Mr Abhisit fronting it.

When you consider that there will be no new car production in Thailand for many months, scrapping the first car scheme and directing those funds to flood relief and recovery should be a no brainer. I guess that is why it is beyond the comprehension of the current government.

I'm with you, Evil Dr. Go Abhisit!

Count me in!:thumbsup:

I am on the inside because I have lived and worked here for over 12 years and still do. I work with Thai people and we often discuss politics. I was one of the few posters on this site who correctly predicted the election result. I predict she will serve her full term and most probably be reelected because there really is not an effective opposition especially with Mr Abhisit fronting it.

Actually, I think Abhisit leading the Democrats IS an effective opposition.

It's a bit too far away to be predicting the result of the next election, even if you did predict the last one correctly.

Don't really understand this post. she has survived from criticism remarkably well' You make it sound like she's out of the woods. Please enlighten us as to what exactly is obvious about what Thais want? Obviously you're a 'farang' who's on the inside.

"...................she will serve her full term..............."

Aren't you being a bit unfair to her big brother who made all this possible?

I suspect she, like a Barbie doll, will be put back in her box when Mr. Thaksin rears his head in the coming weeks as promised. :huh:

Were is the lanslide? they invited lots of small parties to join a coalition of 300 seats they only had a small majority if it was a landslide do you thing they would have done this?

Wrong on both counts. 1 Yingluck was elected by a landslide by the Thai electorate, Abhisit was not. 2 He was removed from office for being inept and notorious for being all talk and no action. It's time to face facts the Thai (not ex-pat farrang)electorate want Pheu Thai and Yingluck. If she was unpopular it would be obvious but in this huge crisis she has survived from ctiticism remarkably well. Indeed her brother Mr Thaksin was the only PM to be voted in twice in recent years. I can't believe that you guys really can't see what the Thai electorate want. I'm not Thai so I don't have to explain why they want what they want but to me and most Thai's it's obvious

:cheesy::passifier:

I too have lived here a long time and Thai people believe they are being punished by Buddha for selling there vote, I predict trouble after the Birthday of the father of Thailand and her popularity has gone down the sewer with most of the flood waters.

I predict abhisits time as pm will have been longer than the present incumbent and certainly more productive<br />

Abhisit has expressed natural interests of global bankers (IMF, WB, Fed)

as their obedient servant, he certainly tries his best to ensure as much debt created as possible. because that's what it actually is: creating more debt. where else gov can get that much money?

in this article (OP) it is not used, but in other foreign articles on this matter exact phrase "budget deficit" is being used. well deficit of course may simply mean lack of funds in the gov budget. however it was mentioned that gov will have to "burrow"

that's how financial system works all over the globe: literally debt trading. it is too big subject, surely those who're interested can search it out by themselves (Google, Youtube).

so, USD is in deep sh1t, Euro in deeper. however USD is still a global currency and current global financial system still uses it as so. according to this system, each country has a Central Bank, which is practically separate from gov, but answerable only to IMF (and Fed ;) ). each CB must have "foreign reserve" according to those arrangements (as I recall Breton-Woods). briefly, NO ANY CB is allowed to print its own so called "national currency" (i.e. emit liquidity) unless certain percentage of funds is proportionally added to its "Foreign reserve"

now, this "Foreign reserve" is comprised of ... mainly USD

(well, gold & few other currencies too - but USD is main item)

which is "coincidentally" usually kept there in USA too - NOT in the vaults of local CB! :D

therefore, to be able to print more of its own currency, local CB (BoT in this case) absolutely MUST get more USD! (or US bonds = Debt papers)

naturally Fed is glad and rather eager to oblige! its printing press is legendary. Fed prints more & more green toilet paper, and disperses it to all the countries where still remains more or less real (physical) economy. because Fed (and its owners - private cartel of international banksters) is desperate to make indebted as much and many countries (& even individuals) as possible! to ensure that it still stays afloat a bit longer.

that's why we can see gov of Abhisit (with Korn at the helm) being very busy burrowing more and more, and dispersing that liquidity among the local banks, companies and even ordinary citizens (even "motosai" drivers). that's why we can see all over Bangkok so many construction going on lately - scarily reminds of pre-Tom-Yam-Kung crisis (1997-98?) and how many half-constructed carcasses stayed till 2004-05

the burrowing scheme works.... for FEd, IMF, global bankers (and their local lackeys & agents)

so, that's the whole scheme Abhisit is pursuing: serving best interests of his masters (global bankers). and he is pretty successful in that. other reaction from him would have been illogical to expect. he (and his buddy Korn, Eton schoolmate) will do everything possible to ensure that Thailand burrows more and more. they do not give a sh1t about country or about ordinary people. the very reason why his Cocroach party has been urgently installed and kept in power 2.5 years by all means (even bloody suppression of anti-gov protests) - is precisely because he and Korn (who is not coincidentally was chief of JpMorgan section in Thailand) ensure the fulfillment of global bankers' plans for this country.

therefore, it is very natural that he is demanding MORE debt created! because debt = PROFIT for bankers. (never mind the virtual slavery of indebted country, rising inflation, imposed heavy austerity measures, etc)

Thai opposition challenges PM over flood budget

BANGKOK, November 9, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's opposition lashed out Wednesday at Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's financial plans for dealing with the worst floods in half a century, saying the economy was under threat.

Her main rival Abhisit Vejjajiva, leader of the Democrat Party, urged Yingluck to forgo certain populist spending policies such as help for first-time home and car buyers and to divert the money to flood victims.

"The government has not reviewed and prioritised the economy and therefore is jeopardising the next phase of economic management," said the former premier, who was replaced by Yingluck after a July election defeat.

He was speaking during a parliamentary debate on the 2012 national budget, which earmarks total spending of about 2.4 trillion baht ($78 billion) -- some 400 billion baht less than expected revenue.

Yingluck's plan to raise 120 billion baht for flood relief by asking each ministry to allocate 10 percent of its budget was "unrealistic," added Abhisit.

The Thai floods, triggered by months of unusually heavy rains, have killed 529 people and damaged the homes and livelihoods of millions around the country.

The waters also forced the closure of thousands of factories -- interrupting global supply chains, putting more than half a million people temporarily out of work and costing the economy billions of dollars.

Abhisit noted that the government's forecast of 3.5-4.0 percent economic growth this year was higher than the central bank's projection of 2.6 percent.

Yingluck, a political novice and sister of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra who only came to power in August, has been under enormous pressure to tackle the three-month-old flood crisis.

Yingluck's administration has faced criticism for its confusing information about the floods and has angered some residents with its efforts to keep central Bangkok dry at the expense of outlying areas.

The former businesswoman is skipping an Asia-Pacific summit in Hawaii this weekend, postponing her debut on the world stage to deal with the floods, which are advancing deeper into the capital, home to 12 million people.

The finance ministry estimates the financial cost of the floods at 180 billion baht and expects 2011 economic growth will be cut by 1.7 percentage points because of the disaster, but still exceed 2.0 percent.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-09

At the rate that she appears to be aging, she will be too old to run for a second term.B)

Abhisit has expressed natural interests of global bankers (IMF, WB, Fed)

as their obedient servant, he certainly tries his best to ensure as much debt created as possible. because that's what it actually is: creating more debt. where else gov can get that much money?

in this article (OP) it is not used, but in other foreign articles on this matter exact phrase "budget deficit" is being used. well deficit of course may simply mean lack of funds in the gov budget. however it was mentioned that gov will have to "burrow"

that's how financial system works all over the globe: literally debt trading. it is too big subject, surely those who're interested can search it out by themselves (Google, Youtube).

so, USD is in deep sh1t, Euro in deeper. however USD is still a global currency and current global financial system still uses it as so. according to this system, each country has a Central Bank, which is practically separate from gov, but answerable only to IMF (and Fed ;) ). each CB must have "foreign reserve" according to those arrangements (as I recall Breton-Woods). briefly, NO ANY CB is allowed to print its own so called "national currency" (i.e. emit liquidity) unless certain percentage of funds is proportionally added to its "Foreign reserve"

now, this "Foreign reserve" is comprised of ... mainly USD

(well, gold & few other currencies too - but USD is main item)

which is "coincidentally" usually kept there in USA too - NOT in the vaults of local CB! :D

therefore, to be able to print more of its own currency, local CB (BoT in this case) absolutely MUST get more USD! (or US bonds = Debt papers)

naturally Fed is glad and rather eager to oblige! its printing press is legendary. Fed prints more & more green toilet paper, and disperses it to all the countries where still remains more or less real (physical) economy. because Fed (and its owners - private cartel of international banksters) is desperate to make indebted as much and many countries (& even individuals) as possible! to ensure that it still stays afloat a bit longer.

that's why we can see gov of Abhisit (with Korn at the helm) being very busy burrowing more and more, and dispersing that liquidity among the local banks, companies and even ordinary citizens (even "motosai" drivers). that's why we can see all over Bangkok so many construction going on lately - scarily reminds of pre-Tom-Yam-Kung crisis (1997-98?) and how many half-constructed carcasses stayed till 2004-05

the burrowing scheme works.... for FEd, IMF, global bankers (and their local lackeys & agents)

so, that's the whole scheme Abhisit is pursuing: serving best interests of his masters (global bankers). and he is pretty successful in that. other reaction from him would have been illogical to expect. he (and his buddy Korn, Eton schoolmate) will do everything possible to ensure that Thailand burrows more and more. they do not give a sh1t about country or about ordinary people. the very reason why his Cocroach party has been urgently installed and kept in power 2.5 years by all means (even bloody suppression of anti-gov protests) - is precisely because he and Korn (who is not coincidentally was chief of JpMorgan section in Thailand) ensure the fulfillment of global bankers' plans for this country.

therefore, it is very natural that he is demanding MORE debt created! because debt = PROFIT for bankers. (never mind the virtual slavery of indebted country, rising inflation, imposed heavy austerity measures, etc)

1/ Abhisit is saying that there should be less borrowing, not more.

2/ There has been an election, he is not the current PM, therefore does not make the borrowing decisions.

The rest is literally fantastic.

Go Abhisit!

Your shout is a bit too late - he's already out. :)

That doesn't stop him from being able to tell the government that their budget figures won't add up.

Yes, that's his job as an opposition leader... when he's in the country.

Go Abhisit!

Your shout is a bit too late - he's already out. :)

That doesn't stop him from being able to tell the government that their budget figures won't add up.

Yes, that's his job as an opposition leader... when he's in the country.

Nice sun tan though. :)

aaaaaa wrote:

<<<snip/copy/paste - some bits left out

Fed prints more & more green toilet paper, and disperses it to all the countries where still remains more or less real (physical) economy. because Fed (and its owners - private cartel of international banksters) is desperate to make indebted as much and many countries (& even individuals) as possible! to ensure that it still stays afloat a bit longer.

snip/copy/paste>>>>

Banksters... bril!!! :cheesy:

"Occupy Bangkok???"