Seeking Information: Visas

I am a 33-year-old American who is returning to Thailand in June of 2012. I will be staying for one month, but I am looking for ways to stay longer, maybe six to eight weeks.

I have a few questions that I hope will be answered from some friendly persons in the know. I have read over scores of pages in this forum, but must ask succinctly to you members these questions:

1. How would you recommend I stay longer than thirty days?

2. Should I get a tourist visa?

3. Can I get an extension at an immigration office in Bangkok (I thought I read somewhere that they cost $60/US for an extention?)? If so, where is the closest immigration office to Soi 4 / Sukhumvit? How long does the process take? What documents do they require? How long is the visit to the office (typically)?

4. Do you suggest a visa run to a neighboring country? If so, what is the quickest and easiest (by land, not by air)?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing responses to these inquiries.

Get a tourist visa, this will give you 60 days and can be extended by another 30 days.

The cost is 1,000 baht for the extension and the visa itself costs 1,000 baht too, but in local currency. Look up a Thai consulate and check their webiste on how to apply by mail.

As stated by Mario, best easiest solution for you is 60 day tourist visa, obtained in the US. No hassles, no immigration no border runs. all sorted for the 6- 8weeks you mention and upto 90 days in total with the extension.

Edited by CharlieH

As stated by Mario, best easiest solution for you is 60 day tourist visa, obtained in the US. No hassles, no immigration no border runs. all sorted for the 6- 8weeks you mention and upto 90 days in total with the extension.

Thanks for the speedy responses...I will check with the Thai embassy here.

Very curious, however: Could I get a 30 day extension at an immigration office (if I do not get a tourist visa)? How long does this process take? Is the price $60/US?

Mario

I thought all extensions were 1900 baht.

Get a tourist visa, this will give you 60 days and can be extended by another 30 days.

The cost is 1,000 baht for the extension and the visa itself costs 1,000 baht too, but in local currency. Look up a Thai consulate and check their webiste on how to apply by mail.

Mario

I thought all extensions were 1900 baht.

You are right, it is a typo.

You can only get a 30 day extension on a tourist visa. Without one the most you would get is 7 days and might be required to show a ticket out of the country within these 7 days.

If I don't get the tourist visa, what does getting the seven day extension entail / involve? Where do I need to go? What is the process like?

I am already flying in on a two-way ticket, so showing a ticket out of the country would not be an issue. How long is the wait at the immigration office for this process?

Also, I thought that all visitors have a seven day "window" where they are not penalized if they leave seven days later than they already suggested?

Please respond. Thanks.

You'll get a window of ONE day, you'll be pemalized at the rate of THB 500/day from the second day (and then they will also make you pay for the first). Overstaying is not a good idea.

Getting a 7-day extension on a visa-exempt 30-day entry may make sense in some emergency situations, but your travel plan clearly indicates that you want to get a tourist visa in advance.

Visa exempt entry requires outbound travel proof within the 30 days allowed so airline may not accept a r/t ticket if involves more than that time period.

There is no 7 day window or extension for visa exempt entry - you are overstay at 500 baht per day if you do not leave on time and could be arrested. With show of ticket out immigration will normally accept an extension of stay application at normal 1,900 baht (which is disapproved but in effect allows 7 days to leave). Normally that would be obtained within an hour.

You should obtain a tourist visa as has been said.