Cambodian Soldiers Fire At Thai Helicopter Near Border In Trat Province

webfact

Cambodian Soldiers Fire at Thai Helicopter near Border in Trat Province

Cambodian soldiers fired more than 100 rounds at a Thai navy helicopter in Trat province, claiming that the helicopter encroached over its territorial air space.

There was a report that a Bell 212 helicopter of the Royal Thai Navy's Chanthaburi-Trat Task Force, has prepared an emergency landing in Trat Province.

The navy claims that the helicopter was on a mission to transport supplies to a Border Patrol Police unit stationed near the Cambodian border area at Ban Khlong Yai District in Trat.

The pilot mentioned that afterwards, the helicopter was hit by gunshots, damaging its rotor, and forcing it to dock at the emergency landing.

During the initial inspection, a number of bullet holes which resulted from assault rifles, were found on the rotor and fuselage.

However, there was no report of injury.

Meanwhile, the Cambodian military later reported that it fired more than 100 rounds at the Thai helicopter, claiming that it had encroached into the Cambodian airspace.

The report also indicates that the Thai helicopter returned fire with four shots.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-16

footer_n.gif

This was reported by another means, and there was no mention of Cambodian Soldiers or anything like that, in fact I am sure it did not mention 100 rounds but one or two being fired.

Sensationalism from the Nation again maybe!!!

And what does " dock at the emergency landing" mean?

Isn't Thaksin in Cambo now?

I wonder if he thinks they need a faux mini-war

to patriotically rally the country around his sisters government

and make it look like the nation needs him more than ever to control it?

And distract from flood mis-appropriations, questions.

Or just not notice when the vote in the pass for him.

Not a slow news day, he snuck one past'm.

Edited by animatic

This was reported by another means, and there was no mention of Cambodian Soldiers or anything like that, in fact I am sure it did not mention 100 rounds but one or two being fired.

What "other means" was it reported?

What "other means" was it reported?

other newspapers and some media channels had differing reports on this matter.

Thai press are reporting the 100 rounds

or a "democrat" general provoking an incident to bring in the army , and bringing problem for Yingluck...; now the Thaksin issue is proceeding ..;!;)

"Dock at the emergency landing", Means they pulled there Ship into Dockside for an emergency birth. Maybe they got mixed up when writing the article between a helicopter and ship. :whistling:

Article should clearly read Cambodian Soldiers fired on flying ship near border. :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, the Cambodian military later reported that it fired more than 100 rounds at the Thai helicopter

Were these 100 rounds from a BB gun? :blink:

There's no discernible damage in photos

I think if you spray bullets with the AKA-47 you are lucky if you have a single hit

or a "democrat" general provoking an incident to bring in the army , and bringing problem for Yingluck...; now the Thaksin issue is proceeding ..;!;)

A Cambodian Democrat general??

Normally if a helicopter goes a bit over the border it is not shot down. There is a protest note at best.

Normally if a helicopter goes a bit over the border it is not shot down. There is a protest note at best.

A cambodian general .... i think they do not have an issue with Thaksin ...... i think you do not wish to undestand the creating of an border incident from Th army side .;;:whistling:

Not likely, Thaksin and Hun Sen are thick as thieves.

If a Cambodian logger strays over the border they are burnt alive, shot or just disappeared.

Did they find the six missing loggers last week or did they turn up dead along with the four others who were shot by the Thais?

Meanwhile, the Cambodian military later reported that it fired more than 100 rounds at the Thai helicopter

They were using water guns....jap.gif

If a Cambodian logger strays over the border they are burnt alive, shot or just disappeared.

Did they find the six missing loggers last week or did they turn up dead along with the four others who were shot by the Thais?

Further to your post there is an interesting piece in today's Economist talking about the role of the Cambodian military and illegal logging along the Thai border. See below:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541871

Further to your post there is an interesting piece in today's Economist talking about the role of the Cambodian military and illegal logging along the Thai border. See below:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541871

Thanks for the article.

It was a eye opener for me I never realized the value of rosewood.

A little on the biased side though.

With that kind of money involved I find it hard to believe that Thai's are not involved.

It just occurred to me I was wondering if the Thai Navy was doing helicopter logging.:D

Edited by hellodolly

Mabye Cambodia just wants an excuse to go to war so they can grab that oil. They've always been salty about that oceanic demarcation.

Cambodia doesn't really have a navy or air force though. Easier for Hun Sen and Thaksin will just split it up between them instead

100 shots fired at, not hit it. That is how I read it.

'Luckely' it is very hard for a normal grunt to hit a flying helicopter.

100 shots fired at, not hit it. That is how I read it.

'Luckely' it is very hard for a normal grunt to hit a flying helicopter.

Why didn't they just wait for it to crash?

Than explain it! Usually why was shot on the helicopter?

"PREPARE for an emergency landing"? Attention passengers, we are about to have an emergency, so PREPARE yourselves for an emergency landing. NO, this is NOT an emergency! We are just PREPARING at this point! Just be patient! ........................................... RAT-A-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT (times 100) OK folks, there is our emergency we have been preparing for. Hope you all had time to prepare, and put your seats in the upright position and tray tables UP! AAAAAAGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:o

If the helicopter only managed to get off 4 rounds in return, it sounds as if its door mounted M60 machine gun had a stoppage, which the gunner was unable to clear! Embarrasing :(

Edited by JAG

Navy Protests Cambodia's Firing at Helicopter

The Navy has submitted a statement of protest to Cambodia regarding yesterday's firing on its transport helicopter.

Chief of the Royal Thai Marine Corps, Vice Admiral Pongsak Phuriroj, who oversees security along the Thai-Cambodian border in Trat and Chanthaburi said the attack took place while the Bell 212 helicopter was delivering supplies to Thai troops stationed at border areas.

Pongsak said Cambodian soldiers fired about one hundred rounds at the helicopter causing damage to its propeller.

He maintains it did not pass into Cambodia's airspace.

The chief stated that the chopper did not fire back, as it was not armed.

He said the statement of protest has already been lodged with Cambodia to officially notify the government about the incident .

The top brass from the two countries will engage in a negotiations scheduled for tomorrow.

The Navy's border defence forces in Chanthaburi and Trat have already replaced the damaged propeller.

Reports of the attack emerged yesterday, with news that Cambodian border security forces opened fire on the helicopter while it was flying over the Bantat Mountain Range in Trat Province.

The Navy dispatched its engineer unit to the area so that it could investigate the damage to the helicopter and remove the propeller from the plane, so it could be more thoroughly examined.

The Navy's chief Admiral Surasak Runreongrom said his agency already lodged the protest via the Defense Ministry to the Cambodian Foreign Ministry.

He said negotiations are underway now.

The border defense forces have ordered the temporary closure of border checkpoints in Ban Muen Dan, Ban Tha Son and Ban Muang in the two provinces.

Only Hat Lek permanent border crossing in Trat's Klong Luang Subdistrict remains open.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichakchaikul said he has already received the report from the Department of East Asia Affairs suggesting the attack was a misunderstanding while what action to take over the incident is still being considered.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-17

footer_n.gif