Tourist Visa Options/Prices

I pay yet another visit to thailand in mid january but as visa rules and regulations change regularly i have one or 2 questions

1 There is of course 30 day visa available at the airport upon arrival but how many times can one repeat this methord of arrival

2 The 60 day visa(which was available free of charge in early 2011)is undoubtedly the best option but what is the current price

Thanks in advance......

1. There is currently is no limit on the number of times you can enter on "visa exempt" entries if you are from a country that qualifies. You get 30 days by air and 15 days by land. 2. The cost of tourist a visas is determined by the number of entries you are allowed. The cost varies slightly from country to country due to exchange rate fluctuations. The current cost per entry in the US is $40.00. To find the exact cost, the maximum number of entries allowed and the length of the visa you should look on the website for the Thai Embassy in your country.

Edited by wayned

1. You can do visa-exempt entries -- giving you permission to stay for 30 days when you arrive by air, 15 days on a land border crossing -- without limitation as long as you do not get suspected of working illegally in Thailand, ie without a work permit, in which case you would get a visit from labour department officials with immigration police officers.

2. The fee for the tourist visa is THB 1,000 per entry, usually payable in the currency of the country where the visa is issued, converted at a rate fixed by the Thai embassy in that country or perhaps the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

1. You can do visa-exempt entries -- giving you permission to stay for 30 days when you arrive by air, 15 days on a land border crossing -- without limitation as long as you do not get suspected of working illegally in Thailand, ie without a work permit, in which case you would get a visit from labour department officials with immigration police officers.

2. The fee for the tourist visa is THB 1,000 per entry, usually payable in the currency of the country where the visa is issued, converted at a rate fixed by the Thai embassy in that country or perhaps the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Good advice guys but i could have sworn they had put limits on the number of times someone could come in and out on the free 30 day visa due to people nipping across the border then imediately coming back

i guess only allowing a 15 day stay when arriving overland goes at least some way to achieving this

Kinda suprised they are not issuing free visas again as they did before in an attempt to get in as many visitors as possible to help bangkok get back on its feet following the floods

Edited by yoga100

What you really get when you enter by air...if you are from a country that qualifies for it...is not really a 30 day visa.

In fact, it is a 30 day entry stamp, not a visa. Visas are issued by a Thai consulate or embessy outside of Thailand. The 3o day entry stamp is given to those from qualified countries who do not have tourist or other types of visas.

Currently there is no limit on the number of those entries you can make...but if it gets to be a way seen as a method of getting around the requirement for tourist visas for an extended stay...how long before the rules are changed it's difficult to say. But right now, there is no limit on that entry.

A word of warning however. Without a tourist visa issued by the Thai consulate or embessy in your home country you technically have no visa.

In this case, some airlines will insist that you must have:

1. A valid visa

2. An out-of-country ticket (not necessarily a return ticket, but a ticket exiting Thailand) after that 30 day visa exempt entry expires.

If you have neither of those, the AIRLINE (not Thai immigration) MAY not allow to board the flight until you get one of those two items.

The airline makes the decision on who and when they ask a passenger for one of these two items.

To be blunt, if you look well dressed and not like a "backpacker", you may not be asked for proof.

If you are young, and look like a "backpacker", you may be asked.

Just be aware of that.

--------------------------

Good advice guys but i could have sworn they had put limits on the number of times someone could come in and out on the free 30 day visa due to people nipping across the border then imediately coming back

i guess only allowing a 15 day stay when arriving overland goes at least some way to achieving this...

There was a limit of 90 days in six months but that limit was abandoned when the new rule of 15 days on a land border was introduced.

snip

In this case, some airlines will insist that you must have:

1. A valid visa

2. An out-of-country ticket (not necessarily a return ticket, but a ticket exiting Thailand) after that 30 day visa exempt entry expires.

snip

Just a clarifocation to avoid confusion. You need a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of your arrival, a ticket to exit Thailand more than 30 days after you arrive is not acceptable.

Sophon

hi,

from what i gather if you don't have a visa in your passport with some airlines they may not let you check in if you don't have an onward ticket with in 30 days.

if you have a visa no onward ticket needed.

thai immigration wont look into your flights they may ask what flight you were on and where you maybe staying if your new to thailand.

it's just some strict airlines on long haul flights that may ask about your onward ticket, some people who have been not allowed to check in have had to buy a cheap ticket from say bkk to KL at the airport.

if your planning to stay a long time in thailand better to get a visa before from your home country, maybe can get a triple entry with 6 months validity so you'll be able to stay a max. of 270 days.

even if you get a visa you don't have to use it straight away you can use the 30 days on arrival first by not putting the visa number on the arrival card then use the visa after 30 days but you'll have to do an extra border run.

No,if 3 entrance you can stay 6 months maximum.

They will issue visa valid for 3 months only which give you 6 months with 2 extensions.

sent from tapatalk :-)

The visa validity only tells you within what time frame you must use the number of entries, With a triple tourist visa valid for 6 month you can thus stay for up to 10 months. (2 times a 60 day entry + 30 day extension = 180 days, than the 3rd entry of 60 days just before the visa expires and you can extend the entry again with 30 days, is up to 270 days).

Edited by Mario2008
calculation of number of days edited

No,

A triple entry tourist visa is issued with a validity of six months, at least it is in the US. If you get the Visa and enter Thailand immediately after it is issued you will get permission to stay of 60 days and can be extended at immigration for 30 days (1900 baht). If you leave on the 90th day and re-enter you will get another 60 days permission to stay and can extend for another 30 days.(1900 baht). You then have to leave and re-enter the day before the visa expires, not your permission to stay, and you can get another 60 + 30 (1900 baht). The controlling factor in obtaining the maximum number of days is how soon you enter Thailand after the visa is issued and how you manage your exits from and re-enter to Thailand. You can get 260+ days. The cost and validity of the visa as quoted from the Honorary Consulate in Hoouston Texas are quoted below:

Visa Processing Fees:

Visa processing fee is $40 per entry; maximum of 3 entries.

Validity of a visa:

The validity of a visa is 3 months for single entry; 6 months for multiple entries

Being proactive, with proper time management, it's not that hard to get almost 270 days!

hi,

from what i gather if you don't have a visa in your passport with some airlines they may not let you check in if you don't have an onward ticket with in 30 days.

if you have a visa no onward ticket needed.mthai immigration wont look into your flights they may ask what flight you were on and where you maybe staying if your new to thailand.

it's just some strict airlines on long haul flights that may ask about your onward ticket, some people who have been not allowed to check in have had to buy a cheap ticket from say bkk to KL at the airport.

if your planning to stay a long time in thailand better to get a visa before from your home country, maybe can get a triple entry with 6 months validity so you'll be able to stay a max. of 270 days.

even if you get a visa you don't have to use it straight away you can use the 30 days on arrival first by not putting the visa number on the arrival card then use the visa after 30 days but you'll have to do an extra border run.

I'm having my wife's mother (both from Philippines) join us here for a long visit and she is applying for a 60day Tourist Visa. My wife (who is back for Christmas holidays) went to inquire at Thai Embassy in Manila and she said a return/outbound ticket is still needed for Tourist Visa, unlike our Non-B visas.

Seems I will have to extend the 60days by another 30 days and then she has to do a visa run to get another 60days? Or what would be the most cost effective (within reason) to allow her to stay for 1 year or more? Is there a possibilty of a 60day visa? is that a Tourist visa?

Can anyone clarify?

hi,

if you have a visa no onward ticket needed.mthai immigration wont look into your flights they may ask what flight you were on and where you maybe staying if your new to thailand.

I'm having my wife's mother (both from Philippines) join us here for a long visit and she is applying for a 60day Tourist Visa. My wife (who is back for Christmas holidays) went to inquire at Thai Embassy in Manila and she said a return/outbound ticket is still needed for Tourist Visa, unlike our Non-B visas.

Seems I will have to extend the 60days by another 30 days and then she has to do a visa run to get another 60days? Or what would be the most cost effective (within reason) to allow her to stay for 1 year or more? Is there a possibilty of a 60day visa? is that a Tourist visa?

Can anyone clarify?

Just a couple of questions:

1. Is she over 50 years old?

2. Do you have 800000 baht than can sit in a bank account "untouched" for 2 months? After the 2 months it can be used.

That requirement for a ticket can be imposed by a Consulate to issue a visa - it is not required for travel or entry if you have a visa. Manila is well known for being very hard on visa applicants and currently believe getting tourist visas is more difficult for Philippine nationals to obtain anywhere so staying a year may not be viable using them.

Is your wife working in Thailand on a non-B visa with an extension of stay for 1 year from immigration. In that case, if the mother is older than 50 years old, she might be able to apply as the dependent of her child.

Unfortunately my wife and baby are with me on a Non-B (or non-O?) Dependents Visa and her mum is not entitled to that. So her only option is a Tourist Visa, with supporting documents from me, as advised by the emissary. Wife was also told that there is no fee for the tourist visa, as her mum holds a Filipino passport. I am not sure if that is correct, but I guess we will find out once her mum collects her passport in a few days, and they make the trip to the embassy to apply.

Actually the Thai guy at the embassy is pretty nice to me, and he even remembered my wife when she went with me to collect our Passports. Hope he will be as nice this time as I will not be with her. My Non-B visa was also free of charge but my wife and baby had to pay for their 90days dependents visa (29999pesos each). I

To answer yr question, no, I just started working here and do not have that kind of money sitting around, although annual salary should cover that. She is 54, but I do not see a point to apply for a retirement visa for her. We;ll just help her to stay as long as possible and then perhaps get a Thai maid to help my wife as we intend to bring our other 2 schooling kids (grades 5/3 now) here. Need to source for good but cost-effective school in Pathum Thani by then. Their advantage will be that English is not a problem, plus I spend time in guiding them in learning. Which is why I want them here. I just cannot trust the Filipino school boys with my fast growing daughter without daddy being (physically) with her to lead by example.

Edited by thanchart

That requirement for a ticket can be imposed by a Consulate to issue a visa - it is not required for travel or entry if you have a visa. Manila is well known for being very hard on visa applicants and currently believe getting tourist visas is more difficult for Philippine nationals to obtain anywhere so staying a year may not be viable using them.

I too heard of that and the 1st time I was at the embassy, I was apprehensive and even met a UK national with a Filipina wife, and his application for a tourist visa (w/o his wife accompanying) was rejected. I was not able to find out if he was successful the 2nd time.

The pleasant reception I got from the embassy came as a surprise, and I am not sure if it is because I was invited by a Thai company under the BOI scheme or somehow I was lucky as I faced absolutely no problems as told by the Thai during time of application.

I hope the embassy's latest advice to get my Letter of Invitation, and proof of employment, Bank statements will be sufficient

There is a fee for a tourist visa, what they mean that is free is that there is no fee for a visa exempt entry.

The fee for a tourist visa is 1,000 baht per entry in local currency.

That is not for the Visa Exempt Entry, which does not need to be applied for at the embassy. Whether the Tourist Visa Fee is waived because both countries are in ASEAN I am not sure. anyway we shall see when we go to the embassy to make the applucant early January

Over the past thirty-plus years I have entered Thailand about100 times using only the 30-day entry permit (it's not a visa), and I have never had a problem, nor have I ever been asked to show an onward ticket or proof of money. I do think being dressed and groomed well helps ..... and I don't mean suit and tie .... just not flip-flops, tank tops and those stupid-looking (IMHO) getto shorts.

Edited by HerbalEd

Over the past thirty-plus years I have entered Thailand about100 times using only the 30-day entry permit (it's not a visa), and I have never had a problem, nor have I ever been asked to show an onward ticket or proof of money. I do think being dressed and groomed well helps ..... and I don't mean suit and tie .... just not flip-flops, tank tops and those stupid-looking (IMHO) getto shorts.

It depends on th airline and where you are flying from. In Asia it is seldom asked, while in Australia, Europe and the US it is often asked at check-in, especially when flyinging with the non-budget airlines.

I am currently living in greece but will likely be flying into se asia from athens to bangkok and flying out again a couple of months later from kl

Given that my arrival airport will be in a different country to my departure country what will i require to present if asked about my sepurture plans either when obtaining a 60 day visa before i set off or a 30 day visa upon arrival

It depends on th airline and where you are flying from. In Asia it is seldom asked, while in Australia, Europe and the US it is often asked at check-in, especially when flyinging with the non-budget airlines.

There havie been many reports here that "brag" about how many times they have entered without an onward ticket, that it's and airline requirement, not immigration, etc. This is a quote taken directly from the MFA webpage uder questions frequently asked, one of which was about "visa exempt rules":

"Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country."

If you notice the answer by the MFA to the question about the visa exempt rules clearly states that an outbound ticket is required. Immigration, at their descrition, have the authority to enforce these rules. Obviously, in many cases, they have not been enforcing them. The airline company knows these rules and if they let you board without an onward ticket and you are refused entry into Thailand then you become their responsibility. They have to fly you home for free, and, although I can not find any regulation, some has said that they are fined. If you don't want to play by their rules it's up to you, but if your vacation is screwed up don't blame anybody but yourself!

Edited by wayned

As you appear to be staying several months you should have a tourist visa for the arrival from Greece. Your travel plans should not be a problem for obtaining a visa. Only if you try to board without a visa could a problem be encountered.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a fee for a tourist visa, what they mean that is free is that there is no fee for a visa exempt entry.

The fee for a tourist visa is 1,000 baht per entry in local currency.

That is not for the Visa Exempt Entry, which does not need to be applied for at the embassy. Whether the Tourist Visa Fee is waived because both countries are in ASEAN I am not sure. anyway we shall see when we go to the embassy to make the applucant early January

Confirmed. The 60-day Tourist Visa is indeed FREE for a Philippines Passport Holder applypng at the Royal Thai Embassy in Manila. <y mum-in-law has aklrdaty arrived yesterfsy.

Yes, it appears that Thailand has an agreement with 5 countries about issuing a visa for free. This includes the Philipines:

List of countries which have concluded bilateral agreements on visa fee exemption with Thailand

• Malaysia
  • The Philippines (visa fee exemption for stay of not exceeding 59 days)
  • Singapore
  • Republic of Korea
  • Tunisia

Source Thai MFA.

• 3 weeks later...

1. There is currently is no limit on the number of times you can enter on "visa exempt" entries if you are from a country that qualifies. You get 30 days by air and 15 days by land. 2. The cost of tourist a visas is determined by the number of entries you are allowed. The cost varies slightly from country to country due to exchange rate fluctuations. The current cost per entry in the US is $40.00. To find the exact cost, the maximum number of entries allowed and the length of the visa you should look on the website for the Thai Embassy in your country.

The information here http://www.thaivisa.com/274.0.html is obviously wrong and needs to be updated by the webmaster.

And this site is called Thaivisa.com, what a shocker.