Walen School In Koh Samui

Oldsailor when they say preferably female they usually mean female and attractive, I'm just imagining you as rusty old seadog with a big gray beard and face that tells a thousand stories of the wild seas, that's just cause your aka is oldsailor smile.png No offense intended, it's just a mental impression the aka gives to someone I do not know at all.

biggrin.png What about a rusty old kataoy sea dog?

cheesy.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldsailor when they say preferably female they usually mean female and attractive, I'm just imagining you as rusty old seadog with a big gray beard and face that tells a thousand stories of the wild seas, that's just cause your aka is oldsailor smile.png No offense intended, it's just a mental impression the aka gives to someone I do not know at all.

Bugger me BB ! i think you have been spying again ! Anyhow i could have a shave, but make up just don't look too good on my type ! tongue.pngcheesy.gif

• 1 year later...

Yes. A friend of mine's wife is a teacher there. But their prices compared to the other schools are quite high.

180 lessons for 24,960 Baht = 138.8 Baht per lesson, is that expensive? I guess all is relative but this is our best selling course. There are cheaper schools in Samui but we do not compete with them based on price only. Paying a little extra for your course is not going to make much difference in the future but knowing the language certainly will. Walen course is worth this price.

I attended a demo class once and quite frankly, was completely lost.

Seems your method is to teach the characters and read, read read.

I'm not saying this is bad at all but I would suggest that you set up a special demo class for newbies that specializes in something at the intro level and will actually teach them something that they (us potential students) will take home with us.

I was put into a class that was already 4 weeks in progress and completely lost, therefore I joined another school.

I would also suggest that your webpage explain the teaching method you are using.

I noticed your school focuses on reading first were as, my school I attend now focuses on speaking.

(Again, nothing wrong with both methods. Quite frankly, I learned to read and write Japanese first before speaking. At the least, I wanted to order from a menu in the local noodle shop tongue.png Later came the speaking.)

I'm not saying this is bad at all but I would suggest that you set up a special demo class for newbies that specializes in something at the intro level and will actually teach them something that they (us potential students) will take home with us.

I was put into a class that was already 4 weeks in progress and completely lost, therefore I joined another school.

I would also suggest that your webpage explain the teaching method you are using.

I noticed your school focuses on reading first were as, my school I attend now focuses on speaking.

(Again, nothing wrong with both methods. Quite frankly, I learned to read and write Japanese first before speaking. At the least, I wanted to order from a menu in the local noodle shop tongue.png Later came the speaking.)

Thank you very much for your feedback MantisMan. Let me guess, the school you attend now is using transliteration? Must be as otherwise you would not know how to read what is written in your book. At Walen we believe that this is a totally wrong approach to learning Thai. You will regret later as you will have to learn the alphabet again and by then you might already have bad habits and mispronounce a lot words as it is so common among those who learn Thai using transliteration. Your observation that our school focuses on reading is not accurate, in order to be able to read the material in the books you need to be able to read Thai, how otherwise can we teach you? Once you are done with the alphabet class you go to book 1 there you learn to speak and read. It is a much better and ultimately much faster approach. Also classes go on a loop, we revise all work till you know it, nobody else teaches like we do, this system really works. I would be happy to benchmark your progress in Thai against another student learning having the same number of lessons at our school and see who speaks and reads Thai better after one year. I bet that it would be the Walen student.

Edited by Rooo

I've been studying Thai at Walen Samui for 4 months now and I'm on book 2 at the moment. The studying is going very well and will probably advance to book 3 in a few weeks. My normal job is restaurant manager here in Samui. I decided to learn the language and resigned from my work in August last year. Have been studying since then and so far is very happy with the quality of the education at Walen. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Very interesting you have been there 4 month's, but as posted previous from McWalen in mid October still not open. How can this be unless it's some promotion?

I've been studying Thai at Walen Samui for 4 months now and I'm on book 2 at the moment. The studying is going very well and will probably advance to book 3 in a few weeks. My normal job is restaurant manager here in Samui. I decided to learn the language and resigned from my work in August last year. Have been studying since then and so far is very happy with the quality of the education at Walen. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Very interesting you have been there 4 month's, but as posted previous from McWalen in mid October still not open. How can this be unless it's some promotion?

You mean this post?

'MacWalen', on 11 Oct 2012 - 14:47, said:

We are close to opening now. We have a part time job for a native speaker English teacher. Preferably female but not necessary. Good voice and pleasant personality required. Experience not necessary as we will provide comprehensive training. If you help us with DCS marketing we pay very well.

I'm looking for a school to learn basic Thai but not as a full time student since I already run a business here and don't have that much time. Can I do this at Walen? I already have a non immigrant B visa so don't need the ED. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

You mean this post?

We are close to opening now. We have a part time job for a native speaker English teacher. Preferably female but not necessary. Good voice and pleasant personality required. Experience not necessary as we will provide comprehensive training. If you help us with DCS marketing we pay ver

Yes that is 3 month's ago and not open but tordishere has been learning for 4 months just mean's it was a another business on Samui operating without a licence.

You mean this post?

We are close to opening now. We have a part time job for a native speaker English teacher. Preferably female but not necessary. Good voice and pleasant personality required. Experience not necessary as we will provide comprehensive training. If you help us with DCS marketing we pay ver

Yes that is 3 month's ago and not open but tordishere has been learning for 4 months just mean's it was a another business on Samui operating without a licence.

1year and 3 month ago to be correct..

• Like 1

You mean this post?

1year and 3 month ago to be correct..

Was hoping he'd figure that out himself (hence the 2012 reference) before he jumped to certain conclusions.

Thanks, please put big flag next time. Not to worry I've put my foot in it before to-day. Anyway free promotion for Mcwalen if they need it.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your feedback MantisMan. Let me guess, the school you attend now is using transliteration? Must be as otherwise you would not know how to read what is written in your book. At Walen we believe that this is a totally wrong approach to learning Thai. You will regret later as you will have to learn the alphabet again and by then you might already have bad habits and mispronounce a lot words as it is so common among those who learn Thai using transliteration. Your observation that our school focuses on reading is not accurate, in order to be able to read the material in the books you need to be able to read Thai, how otherwise can we teach you? Once you are done with the alphabet class you go to book 1 there you learn to speak and read. It is a much better and ultimately much faster approach. Also classes go on a loop, we revise all work till you know it, nobody else teaches like we do, this system really works. I would be happy to benchmark your progress in Thai against another student learning having the same number of lessons at our school and see who speaks and reads Thai better after one year. I bet that it would be the Walen student.

Hello again,

I don't disagree with your teaching methods per say, but I really do think you need to re-think your Demo classes.

Most first timers such as myself, at that time I did the observation class, will be completely lost because as you say,

" in order to be able to read the material in the books you need to be able to read Thai," as was my case.

Putting someone in that kind of class for the first time, especially if it's already a few weeks or months in progress, is bound to lose you potential customers.

As I said, you may want to re-think and re-do your Demo/Observation classes to fit with a total beginner of the Thai language.

Create a Demo class that will actually teach the potential student something that they can take home as a tool and will remember.

Good luck!

This is a topic by a sponsor, they are simply saying they will be in Samui soon. If they do not wish to elaborate further, perhaps they need to tidy up some loose ends, before divulging full details.

So please no need to start a crucifixion campaign.

So please no need to start a crucifixion campaign.

cheesy.gif I love the sentence too much, + appropriate for time to time on TV !

facepalm.gif sorry I did not notice it was from January 2012, 2 years ago. Anyhow after editing why cancel, my comment is still valid smile.png

Edited by Tchooptip