Thai Officials Find Tiger Parts In The Post

webfact

Thai officials find tiger parts in the post

640px-Tiger_Melbourne.JPG

Sumatra tiger. File photo, source: wikimedia

BANGKOK, January 6, 2012 (AFP) - Thai customs officials said Friday they had seized four boxes of smuggled tiger skins and bones worth tens of thousands of dollars in the post, believed to be destined for interior decoration.

The tigers, whose parts were found earlier this week, were thought to have come from Indonesia and eventually be destined for China, according to Somchai Poolsawasdi, director general of Royal Thai Customs.

"There were four boxes, and each box contained one tiger skin, bones and a skull. Each one weighed around five kilograms (11 pounds)," he told AFP.

He said the parcels, thought to be sent be a trafficking gang, were en route to Mae Sai in northern Thailand and came through Bangkok's main post office, where officials received the tip-off.

"The way they processed these tigers, I think they were meant for furniture or decoration," he added.

Anti-trafficking group Freeland said the tiger parts were worth an estimated $60,000, warning that the poaching and trafficking of tiger meat, bones and skin was a key cause of the declining wild Asian tiger populations.

"The confiscation of these tiger skins and bones is commendable and has clearly hurt the criminals financially," said Tim Redford of Freeland.

"However, with so few tigers left in the wild, stopping any more ending up like this is vital."

Thailand is one of just 13 countries hosting fragile tiger populations and is a hub of international smuggling. Worldwide, numbers are estimated to have fallen to only 3,200 tigers from approximately 100,000 a century ago.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-06

And the reason behind it all: Chinese idiots, as always.

Why cant the chinese learn to respect animals?

Seems they'll do anything to get their "tiger penis medicine" and their shark fin soup.

Edited by ricku

Seems they'll do anything to get their "tiger penis medicine" and their shark fin soup.

You got it in one, absolutely no respect and no they have money, so it will get much worse.

"Why cant the chinese learn to respect animals?"

Because they don't pay for it! ! !

The worst part has yet to come. If somebody ordered four skins and did not receive it, it means 4 tigers have to be poached to complete the order. That means we lost 4 now, and will loose another 4 sooner or later. I don't like to say it, but actually we were better off if the package would have reached its destination. Unless they catch the person who ordered it.

Poaching a tiger because you have nothing to eat is one thing, but ordering a tiger (or 4) because you have too much to eat should be punished with life-long.

• Like 1

I'll tell you whats sad, not eating parts of the tiger you would think are delicious to eat such as the meat. If I was starving and came across a recently killed tiger I would go for a steak or maybe boil up some bones as a soup, the last thing, maybe never would Ilmy mouth drewl at the thought of tasting a suculent, medium rare tigers knob, marinated in a soya sauce. Prove it that people in general, in china or other parts of asia eat such things. I've eaten spotted dick in England, but thats just a name of a desert.

Put the traffickers in a cage with a tiger.

It also said the tigers were thought to come from Indonesia. THOUGHT TO HAVE. Is just to save face, because they may have come from the Kingdom. Really someone knows something about the smugglers and killers, but we will never know, too many cover ups did I read a while ago there were estimated 35 tigers left in Thailand, or stand to be corrected. To find such a few would be difficult, and take ages to come across them, so really the rangers have more time to look for the poachers, who spend considerable time in the terrain. I suppose you have some dedicated security , but if you take an average of security on work output, and sweat, sit and sleep would be the order of the day.

We cannot do as you say, anterian because that would be uncalled for, BUT I agree with you I would shove em in there, arroy-----but better still no cage--let the tiger out in it's natural terrain, yes all those from Si Racha, put most back and protect.

Blatant negative and unsupported generalizations are not helpful to an educated exchange of ideas.

Blatant negative and unsupported generalizations are not helpful to an educated exchange of ideas.

ANIMAL PARTS AND CHINESE MEDICINE

http://factsanddetai...id=331&catid=12

Edited by wxyz

All You Can Eat Penis Restaurant

My comment was directed at your unkind generalization of the Chinese as "idiots."

My comment was directed at your unkind generalization of the Chinese as "idiots."

And just what exactly do you call people who are having tigers hunted to extinction? and all for a supposed aphrodisiac when they live in a country full of Chinese girls!

And just what exactly do you call people who are having tigers hunted to extinction? and all for a supposed aphrodisiac when they live in a country full of Chinese girls!

Generalizations about people of any nationality are in poor taste and usually inaccurate.

When you refer to Chinese "girls" you appear to be promoting pedophilia. I am unclear what relationship Chinese women have to this discussion.

Bold stripes would do more justice to a room's decor than pale yellow - I daresay. rolleyes.gif