U.S. Navy destroyer rescues Iranian vessel from pirates

News_Editor

<p> U.S. Navy destroyer rescues Iranian vessel from pirates </p>

<p>2012-01-08 01:29:22 GMT+7 (ICT) </p>

<p>ARABIAN SEA (BNO NEWS) -- A U.S. Navy vessel on Thursday successfully rescued an Iranian-flagged vessel from a group of pirates in the Arabian Sea, the U.S. Navy said on late Friday.

</p>

<p>The operation occurred on Thursday at around 12:30 p.m. local time in the northern Arabian Sea when an SH-60S Seahawk from guided-missile destroyer USS Kidd (DDG 100) detected a suspected pirate skiff alongside the Iranian-flagged fishing dhow Al Molai while simultaneously receiving a distress call from the vessel's master.

</p>

<p>According to the U.S. Navy, a visit, board, search and seizure team from Kidd boarded the Al Molai and detained 15 suspected pirates who had been holding a 13-member Iranian crew hostage for several weeks.

</p>

<p>Crew members from the Iranian vessel said the Al Molai had been pirated and used as a "mother ship" for pirate operations throughout the Persian Gulf. The pirates did not resist the boarding and surrendered quickly, the U.S. Navy said.

</p>

<p>"The Al Molai had been taken over by pirates for roughly the last 40-45 days," said Josh Schminky, a Navy Criminal Investigative Service agent aboard the Kidd. "They were held hostage, with limited rations, and we believe were forced against their will to assist the pirates with other piracy operations."

</p>

<p>According to members of the Kidd boarding party, the Iranian crew said they were forced by the pirates to live in harsh conditions under the threat of violence with limited supplies and medical aid. Schminky said both the crew and the suspected criminals were given food, water, and medical care, as is the Navy's standard practice in counter-piracy operations.

</p>

<p>The pirates were detained on the Al Molai by the Kidd boarding party until the next morning when they could be transferred to the USS John C. Stennis where the matter will be reviewed for prosecution. The pirates currently remain on the Stennis.

</p>

<p>Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast confirmed on Saturday that 13 Iranian nationals had been saved from pirates by the U.S. Navy. "The action to save sailors from Somali pirates was a humanitarian measure and all countries should take such actions to fight piracy," he said.

</p> <p> tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-08 </p>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But this heart warming news is being barely reported in Iran itself by their government controlled media. Big surprise.

Also notice they lack of specific thanks to the USA. Any country would do that. Please.

Call me a pessimist, but except for the saved fisherman themselves (and the capture pirates), this changes nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

I hope the Iranians don't put the fishermen in jail. Wouldn't want them leaking info that the Great Satan actually saved them.

After WWII, Stalin sent returning Soviet POWs to the gulag. He couldn't take the chance that some would turn out to be spies or influenced by western ways.

It's what any professional seamen would do in the same situation regardless of nationality.

It is particularly helpful if the professional seamen come from a US Navy destroyer, fully armed and trained in search and seizure.

It's what any professional seamen would do in the same situation regardless of nationality.

I agree but you know it is bad PR for the Iranian government to let this become a big story in Iran during a time of even more demonization of the so called Great Satan nation.

licklips.gif I believe that U.S. destroyer was there as part of a mandated prgram for the supression of piracy and protection of international shipping in that area.

When I worked in Crete (at a U.S. Navy facility on a Greek Air Force base) saw sailors from that very ship (U,S,S, Kidd, I mean) because they regularly made port calls there going to and from the Suez canal transit.

I may be wrong but believe that is a U.N. authorised program with international participation...U.S. included. (NATO too)

Therefore the fact that the vessal was Iranian flagged was irrelevant...the destroyer was just doing it's job their job in the same way as if the ship was from another country.

Also, don't assume that because the ship was Iranian flagged, the crew would neccesarily be Iranian. A lot of those crews come from places like Pakistan, Yemen, Bengladesh, Egypt, India...etc.

Any place similar, where there are poor fishermen who need a job to survive. Quite a few from the Maldive Islands also.

Although, the Iranians, might have insisted on them being Muslims.

jap.gif

licklips.gif I believe that U.S. destroyer was there as part of a mandated prgram for the supression of piracy and protection of international shipping in that area.

When I worked in Crete (at a U.S. Navy facility on a Greek Air Force base) saw sailors from that very ship (U,S,S, Kidd, I mean) because they regularly made port calls there going to and from the Suez canal transit.

I may be wrong but believe that is a U.N. authorised program with international participation...U.S. included. (NATO too)

Therefore the fact that the vessal was Iranian flagged was irrelevant...the destroyer was just doing it's job their job in the same way as if the ship was from another country.

Also, don't assume that because the ship was Iranian flagged, the crew would neccesarily be Iranian. A lot of those crews come from places like Pakistan, Yemen, Bengladesh, Egypt, India...etc.

Any place similar, where there are poor fishermen who need a job to survive. Quite a few from the Maldive Islands also.

Although, the Iranians, might have insisted on them being Muslims.

jap.gif

According to this article, the USS Kidd was a part of the USS Stennis battle group. A call for help was received, the Kidd went in, took care of the pirates and they are now incarcerated on the Stennis.

http://news.national...red-by-pirates/

Who has jurisdiction over trying the pirates?

Dont know that there is ny. Watched the BBC documentary where they were onboard a RN frigate. It seemed that the Navy 'spots' the [irates (alleged) then the Royal Marines gave chase. Pirates were taken onboard as 'guests' then released near the Somali coast with their boat.

The idea seemed to be disrupt rather than apprehend the pirates.

They could drop them off with the Iranians. I have a feeling that would solve any jurisdictional problems in short order.

I think there are some international laws covering piracy, however. The twist here is that if the US tries them, will the Iranians be allowed to leave and testify? Can they be tried in the International Court in Europe?

They could drop them off with the Iranians. I have a feeling that would solve any jurisdictional problems in short order.

I think there are some international laws covering piracy, however. The twist here is that if the US tries them, will the Iranians be allowed to leave and testify? Can they be tried in the International Court in Europe?

They can't drop them off with the Iranians as the two countries don't have official relations.

I was being facetious, however, I am sure that the Iranians would be more than accommodating in managing some sort of arrangement to get their hands on the pirates.

I was not suggesting that a large US military ship just go steaming into an Iranian port!

Edited by Scott
added

Who has jurisdiction over trying the pirates?

Technically, the country detaining the pirates who are then charged and tried in accordance with admiralty laws. Part of the problem is that many of the participating countries don't want the hassle. The temporary agreement was to dump them on Kenya that finally had enough and said no more, it was too expensive. That's why the pirates are often released. The Russians had been sinking the pirate vessels, putting pirates in a life boat and sending them off. The UK, Canada and some other western countries had a defacto no prisoner policy, i.e. avoid conforntations and to emphasize deterrence. Some other countries were accused of shooting, sinking and then sailing away.

But this heart warming news is being barely reported in Iran itself by their government controlled media. Big surprise.

Also notice they lack of specific thanks to the USA. Any country would do that. Please.

Call me a pessimist, but except for the saved fisherman themselves (and the capture pirates), this changes nothing.

NY Daily News reported as follows;

In a rare display of gratitude, Iran thanked the U.S. Saturday for its role in rescuing 13 fisherman held captive by Somali pirates.

"The rescue of Iranian sailors by American forces is considered a humanitarian gesture and we welcome this behavior," Foreign Ministry spokesman. While Iran's foreign ministry offered a begrudging thank-you, the nation's hard-line Fars news agency offered a more cynical response, casting the rescue as an over-inflated, Hollywood-style act of showmanship.

To paraphrase the words of the man everyone loves, Bruno Mars, Easy come, easy go, they would have caught a grenade for them.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

It is particularly helpful if the professional seamen come from a US Navy destroyer, fully armed and trained in search and seizure.

True, if the professional seamen weren't heavily armed they might well become victims themselves.

NY Daily News reported as follows;

In a rare display of gratitude, Iran thanked the U.S. Saturday for its role in rescuing 13 fisherman held captive by Somali pirates.

"The rescue of Iranian sailors by American forces is considered a humanitarian gesture and we welcome this behavior," Foreign Ministry spokesman. While Iran's foreign ministry offered a begrudging thank-you, the nation's hard-line Fars news agency offered a more cynical response, casting the rescue as an over-inflated, Hollywood-style act of showmanship.

To paraphrase the words of the man everyone loves, Bruno Mars, Easy come, easy go, they would have caught a grenade for them.

Well, a Thank you can be such an easy thing to say but on occasions it can also be incredibly difficult. I would not underestimate the value of the Iranian thankyou. It must have hurt like hell to say it to the US and I am incredibly surprised under the current 'tension' that they actually said it.

• Like 1

Right, it is off topic and a new thread was started here about this news event. I posted it to show that nothing has changed in the Iranian warlike stance in reaction to the nice news of the fishermen rescue. Cheers.

:lol: who has the biggest war stance on earth?

Who is in 2nd place?

yup I dont think Iran makes the top 5 ;)

No matter how much you spin & repeat it

yup I dont think Iran makes the top 5

Just wait until they get that nuclear bomb that their enablers keep arguing for. wink.png

coffee1.gif yes I know the mantra of the fear mongers but the reality is ..........non existent

Edited by flying

Its just a stunt to make you believe the USA is good and IRAN is bad.

Just more propaganda from goverment controlled media to feed people.

The usa are trying there hardest to kick this war off. This is very very worrying as this could and probably will esculate into WW3.