Headscarves Are Acceptable: Thai Education Minister Woravat

webfact

CONTROVERSY

Headscarves are acceptable: Woravat

THE NATION

30173513-01_big.jpg

Muslim students are not violating the Education Ministry's dress code by wearing a headscarf or the hijab, Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul said yesterday.

He said this in response to a rally held yesterday by a Muslim group, which was protesting against two students being suspended by Wat Nong Chok School for wearing a headscarf in class. After a 30-minute chat with a senior official, Woravat told the gatherers that wearing a hijab did not violate the ministry's dress code for students.

Woravat said he would discuss the matter with the school management and order them to hold extra classes for one of the two suspended students.

The ministry's jurisdiction will be redrawn to accommodate more schools, from 225 to 268 zones, which will divide them into primary and secondary levels, and govern them under two supervisory bodies under the Office of Basic Education Commission.

The Education Council will approve this change, possibly by this month, once all sides have been heard.

There will also be a mission to enhance the high-school curriculum by possibly creating a new formula apart from the existing regular and vocational course. Students who intend to go to university take the regular course, while those who want to start working immediately opt for the vocational course. The new formula will focus on both courses, but will not include subjects that are not needed for further study.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-11

The Western world says NO. Thailand says YES.

This is not about being sexy ? this is about peoples rights and the oppression and dictatorship by religious fanatics over the majority, especially women.

Free thinking educated people can make their own minds up about how they dress and what they do and where they can go. But, not possible when fanatical nutters start marching about the streets.

You just have to watch any of the international news channels to see this is a male dominated movement. You never ever see women even in the background. See photo above.

Cast your minds back to the floods in Pakistan. Hours of broadcasts from international news agencies, showing nothing but men. Even when helicopter food relief was being dropped. Hundreds of men no women. Interviews with men. "One minute I was with my family and now they are all gone" Why ? everyman for himself screw you misses, I am off to high ground. Females do not rate being educated in these regimes.

So, think carefully of all aspects behind "headscarves" before making decisions about 'sexy". Whether to say YES. Even consider if it is safe? Think about the whole big picture.

Sadly the whole world has gone P.C. and I cannot vent on the internet or in public what I really feel about these issues and the kind of people behind this. Strangely every western person I meet or interact with is of the same mind set, but we have to whisper and tread softly on broken glass for fear of the race / religion card coming out.

Quite the rant there. Here's some women protesting because they want to wear the burka.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2011/April/Muslim-Women-Protest-French-Burqa-Ban/

I don't care if they do or don't wear them. I don't care about the bigger picture. I happy enough thinking they look more sexy when they wear the headscarf.

This is not about being sexy ? this is about peoples rights and the oppression and dictatorship by religious fanatics over the majority, especially women.

Free thinking educated people can make their own minds up about how they dress and what they do and where they can go. But, not possible when fanatical nutters start marching about the streets.

You just have to watch any of the international news channels to see this is a male dominated movement. You never ever see women even in the background. See photo above.

Cast your minds back to the floods in Pakistan. Hours of broadcasts from international news agencies, showing nothing but men. Even when helicopter food relief was being dropped. Hundreds of men no women. Interviews with men. "One minute I was with my family and now they are all gone" Why ? everyman for himself screw you misses, I am off to high ground. Females do not rate being educated in these regimes.

So, think carefully of all aspects behind "headscarves" before making decisions about 'sexy". Whether to say YES. Even consider if it is safe? Think about the whole big picture.

Sadly the whole world has gone P.C. and I cannot vent on the internet or in public what I really feel about these issues and the kind of people behind this. Strangely every western person I meet or interact with is of the same mind set, but we have to whisper and tread softly on broken glass for fear of the race / religion card coming out.

Quite the rant there. Here's some women protesting because they want to wear the burka.

http://www.cbn.com/c...ench-Burqa-Ban/

I don't care if they do or don't wear them. I don't care about the bigger picture. I happy enough thinking they look more sexy when they wear the headscarf.

Sexy??? you obviously haven't been in, around or near Sukhumvit Soi 5 Bkk Lately.

I think the headscarfs make a girl look sexy. So no problem with them for me.

Have to tell all the ladies to wear them in bed then. There is a point here, in some many islamic countries westerners and others are expected to dress according to THEIR ways, if not it

s an insult to the religion. Sorry whats good for the goose is good for the gander, when in christian/other countries respect their ways.

All this muslem/islam is being pushed into the faces of other faiths and customs, and is now over the top. ASK most people in U.K. speaking against this growing dictatorial religion is now getting to be near a crime and racist. Getto's are formed, in communities, demands are shouted for, problems in schools, problems for national security(veils) most of these religious sects do not integrate, only colonize, want their countries laws upheld abroad. SORRY, when in Rome do as Romans do.

My post is not against all, only against those who are over the top. We as ex pats do not go around Thailand or other near non Christian countries displaying crosses, bibles imposing our religion openly, to promote. All counties are different, respect the country your in. I am aware there are many persons who will shout me down, but I believe I speak for the majority.

You make many valid points so I hope no one shouts you down for your view. I basically agree with you.

Though we bash them for being intollerable of other religions and then you say you basically want it the same way for them in your/our countries. Surely we don't want to be brought down to their level. I don't think we are that intolerable to deny a woman the right to wear a headscarf.

I don't think wearing a headscarf is offensive to another religion. Same as the Jewish that wear the kippah or the monks that wear robes. Nothing in that is offensive to me in the least.

I agree it is the imposing forefully of the religion that is objectionable and the lack of integration and also trying to make everyone live by THEIR law. But simply wearing a headscarf doesn't impose anything on me. If the women want to wear them then go for it, I view it more as a fashion than a religious statement.

Edited by Wallaby
  • Like 1

According to the story in the other paper, students put up a "brick" wall with the label "prejudism" for Woravat to knock down.

If that's their idea of an English word, perhaps they need to spend much more time in classes than demonstrating.

Have to tell all the ladies to wear them in bed then. There is a point here, in some many islamic countries westerners and others are expected to dress according to THEIR ways, if not it

s an insult to the religion. Sorry whats good for the goose is good for the gander, when in christian/other countries respect their ways.

All this muslem/islam is being pushed into the faces of other faiths and customs, and is now over the top. ASK most people in U.K. speaking against this growing dictatorial religion is now getting to be near a crime and racist. Getto's are formed, in communities, demands are shouted for, problems in schools, problems for national security(veils) most of these religious sects do not integrate, only colonize, want their countries laws upheld abroad. SORRY, when in Rome do as Romans do.

My post is not against all, only against those who are over the top. We as ex pats do not go around Thailand or other near non Christian countries displaying crosses, bibles imposing our religion openly, to promote. All counties are different, respect the country your in. I am aware there are many persons who will shout me down, but I believe I speak for the majority.

You make many valid points so I hope no one shouts you down for your view. I basically agree with you.

Though we bash them for being intollerable of other religions and then you say you basically want it the same way for them in your/our countries. Surely we don't want to be brought down to their level. I don't think we are that intolerable to deny a woman the right to wear a headscarf.

I don't think wearing a headscarf is offensive to another religion. Same as the Jewish that wear the kippah or the monks that wear robes. Nothing in that is offensive to me in the least.

I agree it is the imposing forefully of the religion that is objectionable and the lack of integration and also trying to make everyone live by THEIR law. But simply wearing a headscarf doesn't impose anything on me. If the women want to wear them then go for it, I view it more as a fashion than a religious statement.

We seem to agree on most-I can say wearing a headscarf is not imposing anything on me, BUT if a boy has a baseball hat on in class ???? but do they wear the headscarf when cooking -in the home all the time, do they take it off when touring christian religious sights, ???? monks robes, that is different, and Jewish attire I say the same, dress down when not in ROME. Headscarves to me should have there place, it is about conforming, the same as in Issan with Americans trying to convert Thais to change religions, not on. Difficult subject not to look racist, again-WHEN IN ROME do as Romans do. If you don't like the ways--do not go.

On the TV news I did not see even one woman in the groups of protesters.

Surely if this is a womens' issue they should be asking the women themselves, although that also comes with inherent bias etc etc

Edited by cmsally
  • Like 1

Muslim women don't wear their Hijabs while in their home. They only wear it when they go outside in public. I know many women who are Muslim here and have been invited to their homes here in Thailand quite often. When they take their Hijabs off, they look like most average women.

Muslim women don't wear their Hijabs while in their home. They only wear it when they go outside in public. I know many women who are Muslim here and have been invited to their homes here in Thailand quite often. When they take their Hijabs off, they look like most average women.

This reply does not really compare--but I have a cross and chain, I take it off in the home and wear it outside ????? that is a silly reply--BUT not that much Different, if your reply was to my mail, why not reply to the mail to your idea on the subject NOT just to point out fact. Discussion is the agenda-re headscarves and why ???

One point a little off topic, These things are coming to light more now because of extreme Islam, and more people are objecting to Muslims not conforming in non Muslim countries.

Nothing wrong with wearing a scarf to show your religion. If a Muslim woman wants to wear a headscarf outside then fine. If a Buddhist man wants to wear a Man U scarf outside then that should be fine too. We all have our gods after all and Thais hate the cold you know.

Could you provide a list of these countries whom you deem 'the Western World' and who have said NO??

France and Belgium to my knowledge, although this was IIRC about complete covereage and not about simple head scarves.

I wonder if this school is a temple school? Is it proper then to wear head dress? In a church you must remove your hat etc., in a synagogue you must wear one, perhaps there's a rule for such a thing in temples as well?

I'd rather see some laws about circumcision than about clothing styles.

Agree

Agree

Could you provide a list of these countries whom you deem 'the Western World' and who have said NO??

Sorry no list, but in France it is not allowed to wear headscarves in public schools.

This reply does not really compare--but I have a cross and chain, I take it off in the home and wear it outside ????? that is a silly reply--BUT not that much Different, if your reply was to my mail, why not reply to the mail to your idea on the subject NOT just to point out fact. Discussion is the agenda-re headscarves and why ???

One point a little off topic, These things are coming to light more now because of extreme Islam, and more people are objecting to Muslims not conforming in non Muslim countries.

THis has nothing to do with extreme or any other version of Islam. It is also showing complete ignorance to say it is forced upon anyone. Some Muslim women want to wear the headscarf & others don't. It is about freedom & I'm glad to say that the Education Minister recognises that. 'Not conforming in non Muslim countries' is a typical sectarian or racist view that unfortunately seems prevalent in some European countries that right-wing groups use to further their 'kick-them-out' agenda.

Luckily Thailand doesn't enforce any dress code except on nudists.

It has been known for Moslem girls to cheat in exams with concealed notes in their scarves. Some have even had hands free mobile phones. If they don't wear them in their homes then they should not in schools, a school is not a public place.

We seem to agree on most-I can say wearing a headscarf is not imposing anything on me, BUT if a boy has a baseball hat on in class ???? but do they wear the headscarf when cooking -in the home all the time, do they take it off when touring christian religious sights, ???? monks robes, that is different, and Jewish attire I say the same, dress down when not in ROME. Headscarves to me should have there place, it is about conforming, the same as in Issan with Americans trying to convert Thais to change religions, not on. Difficult subject not to look racist, again-WHEN IN ROME do as Romans do. If you don't like the ways--do not go.

Why would a woman take off a headscarf when touring a christian religious site? In many churches women are still encouraged to wear a headcovering.

This is not just the wearing of headscarves, my mother used to wear one years ago. It is a slightly different subject, it's all about religion, and being appropriate to have on. I still think it's not appropriate to do. it's not about being racist. Thats why we westerners remove our shoes at the temple. and women from the west having to conform to long dresses, in Muslim places. it is respect in the country you reside/visit. Full attire by Muslims in public, is a security issue also. We cannot have here or anywhere insist on WHAT you want because it's your religion, that is why there is confrontation, So we all do our thing, and sod the country your in. NOT ON. and that is not racist. as I say it's CONFORMING. People just cannot do what they like, then make an issue about it. I respect other religions as it is free choice, but don't push it on to others.

It has been known for Moslem girls to cheat in exams with concealed notes in their scarves. Some have even had hands free mobile phones. If they don't wear them in their homes then they should not in schools, a school is not a public place.

And if you don't wear clothes in your home you should not be allowed to wear clothes in school. jerk.gif

Edited by Wallaby
  • Like 1

it is annoying to see so many farlangs telling Thai people how to dress.

surprised to see we had this problem in Thailand. Maybe we are being influenced too much by farlangs how to treat our minorities.

Thai Muslims are as much Thai as any Thai and are protected by the King equally as any other Thai citizen

• Like 1

Western world said yes to WMD in Iraq too... They said never negotiate with Taliban... now who is keen on negotiating with Talibans?

I am not a fan of Hijab but if people enforce on women to wear Hijab then they are as evil as those idiots who enforce on women not to wear Hijabs... (got the point?)

You are such a knob... have u ever been to Pakistan? If no women are on the media then it does not mean that they oppress women... respect women more than people in your own country...

If you oppose Hijab then you are no different than those religious fanatics... only you look western but you stink the same... angry.png

http://www.cbn.com/c...ench-Burqa-Ban/

A couple of years ago there was a documentary from Somalia about female gentale mutilation. The fiersest proponents was older women. Sometimes brainwashing about culture and tradition pushes people into thinking bad things are a good thing.

Doesn't make it a good thing.

Edit: That being said, I support everyone to have the right to wear wear whatever they want in their private place and in the public place as long as it isn't imposing on others freedoms or direct safety.

However, I also support every private buisness owners right to determine exact clothing rules for their establishment. And if universites was private at a higher degree - and not forced to adhere to some arbitrary mandated unified code of clothing etc - we wouldn't have any issues as those that wanted to wear a specific odd clothing garment would look for a university that allowed it or set up their own.

Edited by TAWP