Running On Grass....

Jamie2012

Hi there I'm new to Bangkok and live in Thong lor Im looking for a place to go running but it must be on grass as I have bad knees, any ideas? A football pitch would work well, any help would be very much welcome also be great if its on the BTS route.

Thanks, Jamie.

Lumpini Park still has some grass around a couple of sides, I used to jog there, many years ago. Also around the King's palace, there was a grass strip along the pathway, also the park at Chatuchak.

However, it would be far more practical to join a gym, and use a treadmill, most of them have a bit of give in them. If not, get on a bike or a rowing machine.

If you have problems with your knees, you should not be running, period. I recommend swimming for at least 1 hour a day, which will also strengthen your knees as well as the rest of your body without putting weight-bearing strain on your joints.

• Like 1

Running is bad on the knees - if you do it wrong. Unfortunately, many runners do it wrong. It's because running in shoes with padded heels encourages heel-striking. Even though the padding dampens the shock, it doesn't stop the knees from getting ruined.

Proper running is front-toes to mid-striking, rather than heels. You can do it with shoes that have heels, but I think it's easier to do it with flats, or "barefoot" shoes like Vibram Five Fingers.

Take a look at barefoot running :)

I'm not aware of many parks near BTS stations unfortunately. Pretty much the one near Phrom Phong near Emporium, or the one south of Asoke (near Queen Sirikit MRT station). Lumphini park is probably most accessible by MRT. Lumphini is probably your best bet for grass.