Obtaining A Vietnam Visa In Bangkok

I apologise for bringing this up again, but I would be grateful for any recent experiences in obtaining a Vietnamese visa in Bangkok.

We are travelling to Hanoi next month, I am a Brit so will require a visa, my partner is Thai, so will not.

Clearly the easiest option is to go for the visa on arrival, but I understand there can be a bit of a rugby scrum in Hanoi, so I am looking at getting my visa in Bangkok, I have plenty of time on my hands, and don't live too far from the Vietnamese Embassy.

I understand that it's simply a process of pitching up, passport, form, photos and fee in hand, and returning a few days later to collect your passport, is that correct?

A couple of questions, can anyone advise what the fee for a single entry visa is for a UK passport holder, I don't need fast track?

The application form says something along the lines of "proof of MFA approval" is this required? The Vietnamese Embassy in the UK doesn't have this on their form.

What's the best time to go the embassy and are there long queues?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you

Edited by theoldgit

Thanks for the reply Ayg.

Sorry, the reference to the MFA was on their website, not the form as I believed it to be, under "Instructions for Visa Applications" it says "-- d. Approval from Immigration Authority or Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam."

Bit odd with the fees, when I followed your link it directed me to a scanned copy of a manual, where the section for visa costs is, there is a stamp over it making it unreadable. I googled the embassy yesterday and got the same home page, following the link on that one it came up with a sheet indicating a fee of 1600 Baht, it was dated 2007, hence the question, does that seem about right?

Guess I will just pitch up and take my chances.

Why not use the guy who is a registered advertiser on this website.

I did look at using that sponsor or one of the many that sell these letters, but as I said in my post I was looking at getting my visa in Bangkok which would enable to go straight to the Immigration Officer rather that joining another line to get a visa before joining the immigration line.

I have spoken to a number of people who have described the visa on arrival desk as utter chaos and time consuming, maybe they were all unlucky, so as I live pretty near the Vietnamese Embassy and have time on my hands, I thought I would get the visa before I travel.

As said queues for VOA in Hanoi are short. 10 mins is all.

Not wishing to me pernickety, but "As said" where?

As I said the people I have spoken to have said it was chaos, I did add that they may have been unlucky, and three people is hardly a representative survey, but all three did say they would never do it again.

I got my Vietnam Visa today, went to the Embassy on Monday, handed in the form with one photo, paid my 1800 Baht (2300 if you want to collect the next day), in and out in 20 minutes. Collected my passport today, in and out in 5 minutes, all very painless, though the overall price is the same as the VOA.

I have one observation worthy of comment, there was a notice stuck on the window, where the staff sit, advising people not to use the various companies that advertise on the internet offering the visa on arrival facility, it particularly mentioned the guy who advertises on TV, it went on to say that these companies were unofficial and a visa on arrival couldn't be guaranteed. Whilst I decided to travel with my visa in my passport, I have heard no reports of anyone using these companies encountering a problem, apart from the rugby scrum that some people have encountered in Vietnam, not all, just some. I did think the note was strange as the people who chose to get their visas at the embassy wouldn't be using one of these companies anyway, maybe they are concerned over their income.

I got my Vietnam Visa today, went to the Embassy on Monday, handed in the form with one photo, paid my 1800 Baht (2300 if you want to collect the next day), in and out in 20 minutes. Collected my passport today, in and out in 5 minutes, all very painless, though the overall price is the same as the VOA.

I have one observation worthy of comment, there was a notice stuck on the window, where the staff sit, advising people not to use the various companies that advertise on the internet offering the visa on arrival facility, it particularly mentioned the guy who advertises on TV, it went on to say that these companies were unofficial and a visa on arrival couldn't be guaranteed. Whilst I decided to travel with my visa in my passport, I have heard no reports of anyone using these companies encountering a problem, apart from the rugby scrum that some people have encountered in Vietnam, not all, just some. I did think the note was strange as the people who chose to get their visas at the embassy wouldn't be using one of these companies anyway, maybe they are concerned over their income.

Seems we don't have a thumbs up smiley available.

The reference to approval from MFA Viet Nam may be related to visa exemption which has to go to Ha Noi for approval.

Arriving at Ha Noi I have always seen a large queue of people at the VoA window and those that have a visa already are straight through immigration.

I'm assuming you had no problems with the staff there that a poster had complained about some months back?

Edited by PattayaParent

I'm assuming you had no problems with the staff there that a poster had complained about some months back?

No none whatsoever, the staff on duty when I submitted my application were a little grumpy, but considering the way some people spoke to them and the fact the same questions were being asked over and over again, it was hardly suprising.

Picking up my passport I did think that the staff were very friendly and efficient.

John,

As you know, my experience at Hanoi with VOA was a long, long wait. It will obviously depend on how many passengers arrive at the same time. When I arrived there were at least 150 people waiting, and only one girl dealing with them - one at a time.

It's possible that the Vietnam Embassy is losing a lot of revenue from people using the online service, and that is why they are asking people not to use them. The fee, when I used online, was $ 20 to the online agency, and then I paid $ 25 on arrival in Hanoi. I understand them saying that VOA is not guaranteed, but you are provided with a letter of approval from the Vietnam MFA. I would think that even visa holders could be refused entry if the Vietnamese immigration officer wanted to, so there is no guarantee even with a visa. Having read many online forums before using the online VOA service, I didn't read any horror stories. I didn't find any problem with the service, only with the long queue for the actual visa at Hanoi airport.

• 7 months later...

John,

As you know, my experience at Hanoi with VOA was a long, long wait. It will obviously depend on how many passengers arrive at the same time. When I arrived there were at least 150 people waiting, and only one girl dealing with them - one at a time.

It's possible that the Vietnam Embassy is losing a lot of revenue from people using the online service, and that is why they are asking people not to use them. The fee, when I used online, was $ 20 to the online agency, and then I paid $ 25 on arrival in Hanoi. I understand them saying that VOA is not guaranteed, but you are provided with a letter of approval from the Vietnam MFA. I would think that even visa holders could be refused entry if the Vietnamese immigration officer wanted to, so there is no guarantee even with a visa. Having read many online forums before using the online VOA service, I didn't read any horror stories. I didn't find any problem with the service, only with the long queue for the actual visa at Hanoi airport.

Although a visa is never a guarantee of entry, Vietnam is not the USA. If you get a visa or visa-on-arrival letter, then you are virtually guaranteed entry, unless you are known to the Vietnamese authorities as some sort of troublemaker (usually for political reasons). Typically ordinary westerners are not the ones refused, it's overseas Vietnamese critical of the government that have had problems.

• 4 months later...

Has anything changed in the last year with regard to obtaining a Vietnamese tourist visa in Bangkok? I notice the stamp fee published by visa agents on the internet is $45 (last year I paid $25.) Also, the embassy web site states you must have an approval letter with your application. Has anyone obtained a tourist visa at the Bangkok embassy on Wireless road lately? Any information is appreciated.

There has been a significant increase in Vietnamese visa fees this year, this will have had a knock on effect in all other costs.

I got a visa at the consulate in Bangkok last year, because I live nearby, a pretty painless experience though I would probably do a visa on arrival next time.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Just got my 12th visa-on-arrival at Saigon airport last Thursday. I have used the same online service (a Vietnamese one and NOT the one advertising or sponsoring on this forum) and never been knocked back. Also goes for about half a dozen fellow business visitors that I have referred to the company I use. Anyway. there was about 30 applicants already ahead of me but I got mine in about 15 minutes.

I avoid the 'rugby scrum' by having a copy of the application form already filled in with the passport and picture and after handing that in, WALKING AWAY and finding a seat while the other applicants do the scrum thing. I have given up advising people that they should go and sit down and wait until their name is called. The VN Immigration staff sometimes shoo them away but strangely, most applicants think that watching their passport sitting on the desk behind the plexiglass will make the visa appear quicker.

Only when your name is called, is your visa ready and only then do they want the money. However, I witnessed some people frantically digging out all sorts of small bills and different currencies because they didn't follow instructions when they applied. They will take other currencies but much prefer US$. There's actually 3 scrums; the 'Application stalker' scrum, the 'I forgot my passport picture' scrum and the aforementioned 'How much is that in krone?' scrum.

Yes, the rates have increased and the 'stamping fee' is now US$45 for a single-entry or 1-month multi visa and US$95 for a 3-monther.

• 5 weeks later...

Another trip to HCM City and regrettably, I used Visa on Arrival with approval letter. There was a massive crowd at the window and they all were standing right in front of it. I had to push and shove my way to the window to submit my documents. Lots of Europeans want immediate visa. I heard Russian, German and Dutch and most did not have US dollars. I was asked about six times if I would be a money exchange. It took an hour to sort the group and get to my VoA this trip just like the last one. Next time I will pay an agent in Bangkok to get the visa from the embassy, the service charge is well worth it.

Another trip to HCM City and regrettably, I used Visa on Arrival with approval letter. There was a massive crowd at the window and they all were standing right in front of it. I had to push and shove my way to the window to submit my documents. Lots of Europeans want immediate visa. I heard Russian, German and Dutch and most did not have US dollars. I was asked about six times if I would be a money exchange. It took an hour to sort the group and get to my VoA this trip just like the last one. Next time I will pay an agent in Bangkok to get the visa from the embassy, the service charge is well worth it.

I recently spent a week in Hanoi and took care of the visa before hand at the consulate on Wireless Rd. The cost is up to $2,000 baht, but beyond that everything was painless. Avoided the "visa on arrival" mess at immigration and breezed through.thumbsup.gif

Sorry, the reference to the MFA was on their website, not the form as I believed it to be, under "Instructions for Visa Applications" it says "-- d. Approval from Immigration Authority or Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam."

Bit odd with the fees, when I followed your link it directed me to a scanned copy of a manual, where the section for visa costs is, there is a stamp over it making it unreadable. I googled the embassy yesterday and got the same home page, following the link on that one it came up with a sheet indicating a fee of 1600 Baht, it was dated 2007, hence the question, does that seem about right?

25 us$ and same on arrival

25 us$ and same on arrival

Does a UK passport holder have to apply for a visa for Vietnam if arriving from Thailand and is just visiting for a short break of up to 2 weeks???

Yes, you can either apply in Thailand or you could apply in the UK. You can also arrange for a visa on arrival.

Unfortunately, the Saigon VoA desk is poorly served for the amount of applicants lining up these days. Apart from barging your way to the front, there is no way past the bodies that REFUSE to sit and wait.

The last time, I barged through, submitted the application and went over to the transit desk area as there weren't enough seats in the VoA area. What is it with parking your backpack on the bloody seat???!!! When I heard my name paged, I walked over and pushed my way through just as they were paging me a second time. One of those standing around waiting chose to berate me for being slow, saying they had been paging me 'for ages'. I subsequently corrected him. Bloody tosser!

I will probably try the consulate in Khon Kaen next time as it is just down the road. Is it same-day service? I would hate to have to overnight in that provincial backwater.