Six Month Tourist Visa

I have a 6 month tourist visa, however I was told that I need to go to the border every 60 days. I was informed that I could extend each 60 days for a month at Thai Immigration which I have done, however now I am nearing the end of my 1 month extension... Does this mean I need to do a border run? Also will I have to pay to enter another country or is it just a case of showing my visa at the border?

I think its illogical that they would offer a 6 month tourist visa but then require you to leave the country and pay to get into another country just to come back again when you have originally paid for a 6 month visa. I'm fine with going to the border but not too sure if I will have to pay to get into Cambodia at Poipet.

If anyone can shed more light on this type of visa it would be most appreciated, thanks.

There is no such thing as a six month tourist visa. A tourist visa allows an entry of 60 days for most nationalities and can be for one, two, or three such entries (marked on visa). The visa can be valid for 3 or 6 months to make all entries.

Yes you must exit Thailand, enter another country and return for a new entry. For most that will involve buying a visa for the other country. Thailand makes no charge for entry.

There is no such thing as a six month tourist visa. A tourist visa allows an entry of 60 days for most nationalities and can be for one, two, or three such entries (marked on visa). The visa can be valid for 3 or 6 months to make all entries.

Yes you must exit Thailand, enter another country and return for a new entry. For most that will involve buying a visa for the other country. Thailand makes no charge for entry.

Sorry my apologies... I have a triple entry which is valid for 6 months. I got the terminology wrong. :) Thanks for clarifying everything for me. :)

If you have a "6 month" tourist visa, you most likely have a double or triple entry visa that is valid for entry to Thailand for 6 months from the date that it was issued. You must use all of the entries before the expiration date or the "must enter by date" on the visa. The number of allowable entries is typed on the top line of the visa. On each entry you will be granted 60 days permission to stay which can be extended for another 30 days at immigration in Thailand for 1900 baht. Then you must leave and re-enter to activate your next 60 days permission to stay. When you leave Thailand, you must enter and leave the neighboring country to obtain the enter/exit stamps. The cost of entering neighboring countries varies. Malaysia is free, Myanmar is 500 baht (10USD?), Laos is 20-42 USD depending on your nationality and Cambodia is 20 USD. If you have a triple entry visa and use it correcrly you can get almost 270 days in Thailand.

Edited by wayned

are you going to extend the second entry also ? because you probably wont get to use the full 30 days because you need to do another border run before the visa expires - what's the enter before date shown on the visa ?

are you staying in bkk ?

what date does your 30 day extension run out ?

with laos and cambodia you will need more space in your passport for a full page visa sticker - malaysia and burma are simpler systems.

you can also have a gap between the thai entries if you want to spend time in a neighboring country etc.