Klm Splits Bangkok & Taipei Operation

NanLaew

Update at 1120GMT 19JAN12

KLM starting 25 MAR 2012 is introducing Amsterdam – Taipei – Manila daily service, on board Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

The NONSTOP flight to Taipei will replace existing 1-stop flight via Bangkok, and existing nonstop Manila service will be replaced by 1-stop. This is the first time in 20 years that KLM is offering Taiwan service on nonstop basis. KLM does not have local traffic rights on Taipei – Manila sector, although this sector initially was available for reservation but quickly removed afterward.

Service on Amsterdam – Bangkok service will become terminator flight, with Boeing 777-200ER/-300ER aircraft operating.

Schedule:

Amsterdam – Bangkok

KL875 AMS 1750 – 0935+1 BKK 77W x367

KL875 AMS 1750 – 0935+1 BKK 772 367

KL876 BKK 1220 – 1855 AMS 77W x147

KL876 BKK 1220 – 1855 AMS 772 147

Amsterdam – Taipei – Manila

KL807 AMS2040 – 1445+1TPE1620+1 – 1825+1MNL 772 D

KL808 MNL1940 – 2145TPE2310 – 0610+1AMS 772 D

The TPE-MNL was done by KLM as they are in a major row with the Philippine Govt, KLM is/was the only airline to offer non-stop service to Europe. KLM has been threatening to pull the service for over a year as the Philippine charges foreign airlines 3% tax on tickets issued in the Phils, KLM said they will go from non-stop to a one stop and pro-rate the fare-hence paying less tax.

Too bad they didn't do daily to BKK, then thrice weekly to TPE and 4 a week to MNL. MNL-BKK is openskies.

The TPE-MNL was done by KLM as they are in a major row with the Philippine Govt, KLM is/was the only airline to offer non-stop service to Europe. KLM has been threatening to pull the service for over a year as the Philippine charges foreign airlines 3% tax on tickets issued in the Phils, KLM said they will go from non-stop to a one stop and pro-rate the fare-hence paying less tax.

Too bad they didn't do daily to BKK, then thrice weekly to TPE and 4 a week to MNL. MNL-BKK is openskies.

I wasn't aware that KLM is/was the only non-stop choice to Europe from PI. With the large amount of Filipino ships crew that use that airline for heavily discounted travel to/from work, I wonder how those guys and their employers will be affected with this scheduling change.

oh no!!

I really like business class Bangkok to Taipei on KLM (very reasonable price also compared to TG and others).....

Also note that Air France are doing a major shake-up on their 2012 long-haul scheduling and will be dropping their onward hops from Bangkok to/from Saigon and Phnom Penh. That was a handy alternative to the local carriers and usually cheaper too. I used to use Swiss Biz Class to/from Singapore until that was discontinued. Lufthansa still services Kuala Lumpur 4 days a week and Saigon on the remaining 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

oh no!!

I really like business class Bangkok to Taipei on KLM (very reasonable price also compared to TG and others).....

I share your dismay, couldn't agree more. Have used this service many times, just discovered this thread after trying to book it in April :(

I thought back in the old days the reason for no direct flights from Europe to Taipei is Taiwan bound flights could not overfly China. Clearly no longer an issue.