Stevia

Madlaplaine

Preeyanoot Jittawong

Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni) is a natural herbal sweetener. Currently its use is banned in Thailand by the Ministry of Public Health as a food ingredient. However, research into the herb is continuing, and recently the Institute for Science and Technology Research and Development and Pharmaceutical-Cosmetic Raw Materials and Natural Products Research and Development Center, Chiang Mai University organized the 6th biotechnology pharmacy seminar, to discuss the future of Stevia in Thailand. The seminar took place on August 11 at Chiang Mai University.

Preeyanoot Jittawong

Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni) is a natural herbal sweetener. Currently its use is banned in Thailand by the Ministry of Public Health as a food ingredient. However, research into the herb is continuing, and recently the Institute for Science and Technology Research and Development and Pharmaceutical-Cosmetic Raw Materials and Natural Products Research and Development Center, Chiang Mai University organized the 6th biotechnology pharmacy seminar, to discuss the future of Stevia in Thailand. The seminar took place on August 11 at Chiang Mai University.

Interesting, as Stevia is sold in the local Makro (in Phuket). Not sure about the quality (for culinary uses), and I would not think anything would grow from it. But banned?

• Like 1

"According to Thai law, Stevia can not be used as sweetener yet. It's limited use in only some special controlled food."

I got this answer when I requested a former supplier a few days ago. They also attached two PDF documents about the law, but they are in Thai, and due to limitations on in this app and my iPhone you will need to wait until I get on my PC for me to link to them if interested.

Hooray for the sugar-industry lobby!

The European Commission approved steviol glycosides in Europe on November 11,2011 .

Normally the drugs sold in Thailand you cannot get without a prescription here in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

I grow some Stevia in a pot, it seeds prolifically, and while the germination rate is relatively low it is probably much easier to grow from seed. I have seen the dried leaves sold at markets, but never seen seed around here. I got my seed from the US.

• 4 months later...