Boom Boom

Tomissan

boom boom

excessive noise

Living in a village there is a lot of noise. Motorbikes, music, early morning wake-up from the Puyai Baan's loud speaker, loud talking, etc.

The most irritating noise is the heavy, bone-shattering bass :o coming from big speakers. One neighbor has the entire trunk of his toyota car turned into a virtual sound machine and the bass is teeth rattling and he likes to blast in the morning around 7am. This guy has two small children who I'm assuming are affected since they are still very young and physically fragile.

I tried looking over the internet for information about health & hearing problems caused by excessive noise but found nothing so I'm asking for help in this endeavor.

Does anyone know and/or have documented proof of the ill effects of loud music, heavy bass, etc.?

I can only assume, there are other's out there who may want this information also. After translation I will post it for all to print and share with the neighborhood.

I'm almost certain nothing would be found in the Thai language so I will take and get it translated into Thai, or, could be an interesting assignment for a Thai student.

thanks aloud

One neighbor has the entire trunk of his toyota car turned into a virtual sound machine and the bass is teeth rattling and he likes to blast in the morning around 7am. This guy has two small children who I'm assuming are affected since they are still very young and physically fragile.

Why don't you tell him to "SHUT THE F*$K UP!!!", politely of course....

WHAT DID YOU SAY??? SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU. :o

It doesn't seem to matter whether you live in a tourist area or in the back blocks, noise seems to be common place everywhere.

It's those pick up trucks with the huge P.A. systems on the roof that irritate me. The driver, with his raspy voice, bellowing out to all and sundry why we should be buying his fruit, or why we should be seeing this particular Thai movie, or this, that and the other thing.

Noise in sois annoys.

boom boom

excessive noise

Living in a village there is a lot of noise. Motorbikes, music, early morning wake-up from the Puyai Baan's loud speaker, loud talking, etc.

I've resorted to bribing the one's that really annoy me, it's a cheap, temporary solution....not fool proof mind you, but it does work sometimes...

I don't pay them first either...a week at a time...no excessive noise and you get a few hundred baht....what to do?

~

Hmm, not exactly what I expected when I leapt upon (figuratively speaking) this thread due to its title..

Welcome to one of the loudest countries in the world, eh? It seems that as I get older, my ears get more sensitive. On my last trip to the States, I picked up a gross of those foam earplugs - the ones you squish down before insertion (this is getting me hot) and they slowly expand to fit the ear canal.

Ah, Bliss!

I also advise friends who are coming to visit to bring earplugs. In aviation, I found special plugs that allow normal sound but shut out excessive noise but they are quite expensive. And yes, when noise becomes painful, it IS damaging your hearing!

There are added advantages to the foam plugs as well. I cannot hear my wife's jabbering, I can turn my TV up to match the volume of my neighbors and annoy them, my sense of others is enhanced as I watch their facial expressions more intently since I cannot hear them, and the plugs cure snoring.

No, really.

Since they silence outside noise and completely change our sense of internal sounds, snoring then wakes you up so that you can change your body position which is the problem in the first place...

Don't bother to respond - I won't be able to hear you anyway... :o

Edited by Dustoff

Many years ago I read in newspapers about a case where one man took his neughbour to the court because of loud music from his apartment.

If I remember correctly, the court rulled that anything that is 30db at the distance of 7m from the source is classified as "loud" and the guy was fined.

There must be some rule like that in Thai, if not for residential then for commercial venues - the noise they are allowed to emit and some standard what "noise pollution" is.

After writing this post I found it - see here:

http://www.answers.com/topic/noise-pollution

And, yes, the silence in our BKK apartment is deafening compared to the noise in the village that makes my nights short and sleepless.

Edited by think_too_mut

Worse than hearing loss is tennitis. Ugh. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy both have it (they got it when exposed to an explosion on set. it was during that episode where the enterprise blew away a mountain with its phasers to get at a hidden base. kirk and spock were in that scene and they were very close to the explosion). Shatner had it so bad that it nearly drove him to suicide.

I've got a slight case of tennitis from a time when I saw a band in a nightclub. Normally I wear earplugs when clubbing, but on one occassion I didn't bring them, and I've lived to regret it ever since. That night the club had an Irish band and for some unknown reason, they actually MIC'D THE BAGPIPES!!! What the heck were they thinking? Bagpipes are insanely loud to begin with but putting them on a mic in a small nightclub is like being locked in a closet with a jet engine.

Tennitis is a "ringing" in the ears. It can be relatively mild to extremely annoying. I was fortunate to only get a slight case, but still, it is permanent. If there is background noise to drown it out, I don't notice it, but it is especially bothersome when trying to sleep. So for me, the city noises of Bangkok are actually a blessing. I can get to sleep, but when I go camping or stay upcountry, I often need a fan or radio to provide some white noise.

You can find plenty of information on hearing loss on the web. Don't just look for information on damage caused to body organs by excessive bass, because I don't think you're going to find much of anything on that topic. However, there is tons of information about hearing loss in general as well as specific conditions such as tennitis.

Keep goggling, you'll find what you need.

Welcome to one of the loudest countries in the world, eh? It seems that as I get older, my ears get more sensitive. On my last trip to the States, I picked up a gross of those foam earplugs - the ones you squish down before insertion (this is getting me hot) and they slowly expand to fit the ear canal.

Ah, Bliss!

thanks Dustoff (sorry for the dissapointment) and thanks to all the other posters for the feedback. What is needed is some printed matter in Thai that will shock them into turning it down. Something like: loud music & heavy bass will make you & your kids sterile, your teeth will fall out, etc., etc.

I've tried just about every kind of earplug, the problem is; none eliminate the heavy bass that come through the floor and into the bones.

Another option: Does anyone out there know of any good ear surgeons? Someone with advanced technology experience who can surgically implant an on & off switch, perhaps utilizing the earlobe as the switch/pull chain. I would gladly spend my retirement income for this....

cheers

The foam earplugs are helpful and they are easily available in many stores in Thailand. I prefer the wax earplugs which can be molded into any shape and really firmly worked into the ears. These used to be sold in Thailand (Boots) but have not been stocked in the last few years. So when I go back to America, I always buy a large supply of the wax plugs (Mack's Pillow Soft Earplugs are my favorites.) I have to buy a lot since a couple friends who are stuck in Bkk. want some too.

~

Hmm, I think the toothless/sterility comment was about me...?

Tennitis (sic) is a "ringing" in the ears.  It can be relatively mild to extremely annoying.  I was fortunate to only get a slight case, but still, it is permanent.  If there is background noise to drown it out, I don't notice it, but it is especially bothersome when trying to sleep.  So for me, the city noises of Bangkok are actually a blessing.  I can get to sleep, but when I go camping or stay upcountry, I often need a fan or radio to provide some white noise.

Having flown helicopters for decades, I also developed Tinnitus and you are right - it can be really annoying.

While traveling thru India however, I saw a flight surgeon who advised that I let the tinnitus itself become "white noise" and use it as a positive meditation tool. Within a year, it went away and has never returned... True story, I promise.

Keep goggling, you'll find what you need.

Hmm, sounds like what I do while at the Spotlight Bar.

And I have indeed occasionally found what I needed. :o

Many years ago I read in newspapers about a case where one man took his neughbour to the court because of loud music from his apartment.

If I remember correctly, the court rulled that anything that is 30db at the distance of 7m from the source is classified as "loud" and the guy was fined.

There must be some rule like that in Thai, if not for residential then for commercial venues  - the noise they are allowed to emit and some standard what "noise pollution" is.

And, yes, the silence in our BKK apartment is deafening compared to the noise in the village that makes my nights short and sleepless.

There must be some rule like that in Thai,

There probably is mate, but Thailand is The Land of Broken Rules"

Maybe there is a law relating to decibel levels in various environments as there are also laws relating to exhaust emissions from buses, traffic lights, accidents (no fleeing the scene etc), prostitution, corruption, gambling,drinking in public, copyright piracy etc,etc ad nauseam.

However, this being Thailand, the land we love , we try to understand these things and tolerate them. Trying to explain them to the average Thai draws blank stares. Why, even Dr.Thaksin's minions cannot truly enforce them or should I say, lack the will power to enforce them.

To the average Thai whether they be in the village up country or in the soi in Bangkok, loud noise is progress. The louder your speakers, the cooler you are. I believe it's that simple. Loud is good! Very loud is amazing! Trying to explain hearing damage is like trying to explain respiratory problems due to exhaust emissions from old buses and motorbikes. Thais like loud motorbikes and actually pay to have the baffles knocked out of their exhausts.Cars are fitted with exhausts the size of drain pipes just to increase the sound of the exhaust.

As for the other items related to law, if they were all enforced, Thailand as we know it would not exist.

Perhaps other residents can explain this anomaly further. :o

There must be some rule like that in Thai, if not for residential then for commercial venues  - the noise they are allowed to emit and some standard what "noise pollution" is.

There must be some rule like that in Thai,
There probably is mate, but Thailand is The Land of Broken Rules"

Maybe there is a law relating to decibel levels in various environments as there are also laws relating to exhaust emissions from buses, traffic lights, accidents (no fleeing the scene etc), prostitution, corruption, gambling,drinking in public, copyright piracy etc,etc ad nauseam.

However, this being Thailand, the land we love , we try to understand these things and tolerate them. Trying to explain them to the average Thai draws blank stares. Why, even Dr.Thaksin's minions cannot truly enforce them or should I say, lack the will power to enforce them.

To the average Thai whether they be in the village up country or in the soi in Bangkok, loud noise is progress. The louder your speakers, the cooler you are. I believe it's that simple. Loud is good! Very loud is amazing! Trying to explain hearing damage is like trying to explain respiratory problems due to exhaust emissions from old buses and motorbikes. Thais like loud motorbikes and actually pay to have the baffles knocked out of their exhausts.Cars are fitted with exhausts the size of drain pipes just to increase the sound of the exhaust.

As for the other items related to law, if they were all enforced, Thailand as we know it would not exist.

Perhaps other residents can explain this anomaly further. :D

You're spot on mate! There are approximately 70 laws regarding pollution of some sort in Thailand, including noise pollution. However getting someone in Authority to act on any one of them is a nightmare. It is generally considered that around 70-75 db is damaging to hearing, however the thai law on noise in employment is 90 db :D Roadside tests throughout Bangkok found all stations registered in excess of 70 db, and some 70 db for the whole 24 hour period.

Less than 35 db required for a good sleep, so as my missus likes to keep the tv on all night to frighten off ghosts :o I have persuaded her to keep it below this level :D

Quite simply, it is a cultural difference.

Us caucasians are brought up in the western world taught to have respect for ones privacy. In the Thai world however, privacy is very much more open to definition.

How many times have you complained about loud noise to your Thai friends/girlfriend/wife/husband only for them to turn around, look you in the face and say to the likes of......

"What you making such a fuss about?"

Thais, having been taught the word 'tolerance' since when they were in their diapers see little worries with 'a lot of darned noise'. And sure, Thais love noise, especially the countryside folk.

Dont expect any sympathy from the locals in your village when you go around whining about the noise. The noise make get quieter but the talk behind your back to the likes of ....."What right has this Farang to come here and tell us to be quiet?" will only get louder.

I once sneaked out and cut the wires to the temple speakers that are located on a pole right outside my sweet mother-in-law's house.

I figured, not a very respectful act, but then <deleted> has Thai pop music blasting out at 5:00 am got to do with Buddhism?!

That was over three years ago and they haven't fixed the wiring yet... perhaps I did the neighbours a favour....

It does vary depending on your environment.

I had phonecalls from the landlord many times because someone below or above my apartment complained about the noise, when I lived in Bangkok.

The village I've been living in is pretty quiet, neighbours either invite me or apologise when they have a party (mostly both :D ), I usually get some comments when I turn the stereo up, even during the day...

In my experience it is at public events when fun and status are linked directly to the decibel volume, just as the colder the air-con - the better the company, be it an office or a bus company. In private, they seem to be more moderate with it.

BTW, I really hate it when some nurd turns on the mic or music without checking whether the volume nob is set at max, which it usually is. :o

Tomissan, I doubt getting info from the net and translating it to Thai will do much good.

People know the risks from smoking, unprotected sex, speeding, drugs etc., but they go ahead and do them anyway.

Try going up to your neighbour with a smile on your face and just tell him politely not to play the music so loud.

A group of kids have recently moved into a house almost opposite from me and at first they were unbelievably noisy, especially 3-4am when their GFs came home from working in bars or clubs. For some reason they had to shout to one another when they talk to someone standing right next to them.

Anyway, one of the guys was having a problem starting his bike one day so I helped him out. He was simply twisting the throttle every time he tried to kickstart the bike and was flooding the engine.

Afterwards, I mentioned to him that I go to sleep around the same time as their GFs arrive home and that the the noise often prevents me from getting to sleep quickly or wakes me up.

Now it's much quieter. But every now and then someone new will stay with them and can be heard talking loudly in the soi, followed by someone saying 'ssshhhh! siang' (noisy). Then everyone starts talking quietly........which results in me having to press my ear to the window screen trying to catch what they're saying. :D

But after mentioning it to them, they've since invited me in to their home to eat food, or have a few beers and have recently asked me to have a bit of a football kickaround with them.

These kids have shown me more neighbourliness in only a few weeks than other neighbours have shown me in the 10 years that I've known them.

Strange isn't it? :o

Got three sources of tannoy located near me. its ruined my life style hear, starts 5.30 most mornings. only thing you can do is keep your mouth shut about the situation (if not will become fun game against you) and attempt to relocate somewhere with a future low level of noise. I'm looking and have been for the past three months. cant wait to find somewhere relaxing without dirt trucks, bikes and early morning throat clearance sounds..

hope you find peace.

Find a gun club or good hospital and grab the ear plugs from em....they help.

Edited by torgate

I once sneaked out and cut the wires to the temple speakers that are located on a pole right outside my sweet mother-in-law's house.

I figured, not a very respectful act, but then <deleted> has Thai pop music blasting out at 5:00 am got to do with Buddhism?!

That was over three years ago and they haven't fixed the wiring yet... perhaps I did the neighbours a favour....

Great story! I am sure this is food for thought for a few other sleepless farangs

:o

me thinks, the thai need to play loud music, talk loud, use extra loud exhaust pipes and many many many more alike .... simply to drown out the incessant daily ROOSTER noise ... :o

naah, honestly, I think it will be verrrrrry difficult to convince the thai about the undoubtable fact that so much noise is damaging EVERYBODYS health.

BUT I wish you all the best and all the luck you need to soften ur trouble... :D

This was exactly the subject of last year's "birthday speech" to the nation. Perhaps you can find a Thai transcript of this speech by the most respected man in Thailand, and show it to your neighbour.

good idea, i will find the speech H.M. made and distribute it, although as other's here have mentioned, I'm probably pissing in the wind. If it were just one neighbor I could probably sort that out and over the years I have made many attempts to get people to lower the music and some did, others as one poster put it, they got angry with 'a farang' who has no right to say anything since I'm just a guest here, even after many years.......I liked the idea of cutting the loud speaker wire from the Puyai Baan and believe me I've thought about it although I know if someone sees me there will be trouble, even though most of them don't like the loud noise either, but who amongst them can keep a secret?

I enjoyed very much reading the other posts and I'm sure others reading them from other parts of the world may have second thoughts about coming to Thailand to retire.

I have a friend who's hearing is impaired and has to use a hearing aid which amplifies everything, when a motorbike drives by he cringes, only when he takes it out is he ok.

To be honest, In all the places I've lived around the Kingdom over the years, Bangkok was by far more quiet than anywhere else. Out here with the chickens and roosters (not so many now) and dogs, motorbikes with very loud pipes, truck vendors with the loud speakers, throat clearing and local ninta (gossip), sometimes I feeling like sticking an ice pick in my ears just for the sake of a little peace & quiet.