Diabetic In Thailand

Kripe

Well , here is an update of my diabeties . The doctor has confirmed that I have the disease . After 10 days on Metformin , 2 pills a day , 500mg x 2 my blood glucose level has fallen from 16.2 mool/L to a lowest 6.7 up to 10.5highest reading . I have also started a change in diet following up on a lot of the tips from you fellas and the links . The doctor says if get on my bike and loose 5 kilo he may hold back on the meds , only to be used when the BG rises again . That is a long way off but I am managing this better than I could have imagined 10 days ago . I have had some side effects from the medication , such as blurred vision and a general sort of trippy feeling . So , here is a question . Is there any kind of booze that I can imbibe in , you know like cider or red wine ? I need a drink sometimes and canabis is not suitable due to my chosen work proffesion .

I was in the UK once to visit my son and needed insulin and was told that I needed a prescription from a doctor to buy (how does one 'substance abuse' insulin?)

Believe it or not, bodybuilders love insulin. It's considered one of the best ways to build muscle.

I have just found , this weekend , I have 16 mool/L . I have been prescribed metformin 500mg twice a day . I am interested in opinion and facts on how I could keep this blood sugar level down through dietery intake .

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 16 mmol/L is nearly 300 mg/dl. I'm assuming this is a fasting blood glucose test. I would like to see your readings after a OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) and an HbA1c. I would think it is very unlikely you'll be able to normalize your BG by diet alone. You've caught it too late - that's why the doctor gave you quite a hefty does of metformin.

I would suggest you become an active member of a good diabetic forum.

Here's the best one I've seen. http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/

I have just found , this weekend , I have 16 mool/L . I have been prescribed metformin 500mg twice a day . I am interested in opinion and facts on how I could keep this blood sugar level down through dietery intake .

First of all you should check your BG in the morning fasting - if it is normal (below 120mg/dl or 6,5 mmol/L, the pills will do, if not you might need another dose or insulin - contact your doctor.

Be careful with information you're giving out here. Onionluke has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and prescribed metformin. He doesn't need an insulin injection. If he did, that would make him an insulin dependent type 2 (otherwise known as type 1.5) but that cannot be established until he takes a peptide C test.

Be careful with information you're giving out here. Onionluke has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and prescribed metformin. He doesn't need an insulin injection.

I have type 2 and have metformin for past 10years........ 2 years ago I had to go into Hospital, after Opp and 4 days in Hospital everyday they gave me Injections saying my blood sugar level was high and needed Injections... [at the time was only using the urine strips, later re post on her found out these very old strips do not work]

What sort of injection did I get for 4 days ?

Hi all,

I'm 53 years old and have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I'm on one tablet of Janumet 1000 mg twice a day. I have a few questions.

Is there some kind of blood sugar test kit where I don't have to lance myself?

Doctor told me I can have just a single glass of wine in a month.

The American Diabetes Foundation recommend no more than two drinks per day. Big difference.

I can accept that my drinking days as I knew them are over, but, what is the real deal with alcohol consumption?

How vital is exercise in controlling type 2 diabetes?

Do type 2 diabetes sufferers also get low blood sugar?

I'm new at this diabetes malarky.

Be careful with information you're giving out here. Onionluke has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and prescribed metformin. He doesn't need an insulin injection.

I have type 2 and have metformin for past 10years........ 2 years ago I had to go into Hospital, after Opp and 4 days in Hospital everyday they gave me Injections saying my blood sugar level was high and needed Injections... [at the time was only using the urine strips, later re post on her found out these very old strips do not work]

You're taken my reply out of context. Onionluke was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and given metformin to control his blood sugar There was no indication he needed insulin injections.

What were your BG levels when you required hospitalization and insulin injections.

when I was diagnosed about 10 years ago I had a drastic weight loss from being the heaviest ever, then the other symptoms; burning thirst and frequent urination and thought: 'uh oh...I don't wanna know...'...then I had to go in for a physical for a new job and the doctor said that I had ketoacidosis (life threatening) and needed immediate hospitalization...stayed in for 3 days to stabilize the BG then the doc said 44 units of mixtard 30 insulin daily (separated into 2 daily injections) and 3 x 850mg per day of metformin in combination forever unless my BG readings indicated otherwise...

like I said, if you lose weight, exercise and strictly control your diet you can maybe reduce or eliminate the medication but always do it on the doctor's advice....I did all 3 and brought the BG down to 'normal' and the blood pressure as well with 3 x daily BG tests and twice weekly BP readings...but it is hard to maintain; I was working in saudi at the time with no booze living in a camp in the desert and exercise was daily entertainment...also I'd go grocery shopping and could control my diet easily...

then I left and started drinkin' again and things went back to status quo ante...

You're taken my reply out of context. Onionluke was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and given metformin to control his blood sugar There was no indication he needed insulin injections.

What were your BG levels when you required hospitalization and insulin injections.

This is an assumption, there are no way we can know or answer what kind of injections ignis got at the hospital, but insulin is of course the most common injected drug to treat high BG clap2.gif

Hi all,

I'm 53 years old and have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I'm on one tablet of Janumet 1000 mg twice a day. I have a few questions.

Is there some kind of blood sugar test kit where I don't have to lance myself?

Doctor told me I can have just a single glass of wine in a month.

The American Diabetes Foundation recommend no more than two drinks per day. Big difference.

I can accept that my drinking days as I knew them are over, but, what is the real deal with alcohol consumption?

How vital is exercise in controlling type 2 diabetes?

Do type 2 diabetes sufferers also get low blood sugar?

I'm new at this diabetes malarky.

Hopefully there will be a device soon that can monitor BG using light, however you should still check your BG in the old fashion way at times see: http://www.c8medisensors.com/

Exercise in vital in controlling any type of Diabetes as your body get more sensitive to insulin, produced by you self if you have T2 or injected if you have T1.

I have type 1 and are using an insulin pump, after I started walking just 30min/day at 6km/H I have decreased my basal insulin need by 20%, my body is more sensitive to insulin, so I also need to decrease my Bolus insulin by 20% before meals.

I don't know if T2 can get low blood sugar - waiting for the answer just out of curiosity.

Edited by Kripe

I was in the UK once to visit my son and needed insulin and was told that I needed a prescription from a doctor to buy (how does one 'substance abuse' insulin?)

Believe it or not, bodybuilders love insulin. It's considered one of the best ways to build muscle.

I am just wondering, why do a non diabetic inject insulin when their body produce the insulin? if they inject without the need for it the BG would drop making it impossible to exercise?

I am just wondering, why do a non diabetic inject insulin when their body produce the insulin? if they inject without the need for it the BG would drop making it impossible to exercise?

Insulin is an anabolic hormone.... read this.... from here: http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/site/insulin-and-muscle-mass/

"In recent years athletes have used insulin for several reasons. A common side effect of using large doses of GH is elevated blood glucose, which can be controlled with an insulin-injection kicker. Insulin also triggers amino acid uptake into muscle for use in muscle protein synthesis. Insulin activates the primary enzyme that converts carbohydrate into glycogen, which aids muscle recovery after training and gives the muscle (sic) a fuller appearance to muscle; each gram of glycogen is stored with 2.7 grams of water."

I don't know if T2 can get low blood sugar - waiting for the answer just out of curiosity.

Not naturally. They have to be taking insulin or the other drugs that lower it. If they go onto a low carb diet (like I did when I was diagnosed) they get 'false hypos' as the BG drops to nearer normal levels.

Yes, they can. It's usually termed "reactive hypoglycemia".

Here is one lay person's attempt at an explanation. I thought it was quite well put together...

T2s and people with insulin resistance often output a lot of insulin as their body attempts to compensate. Some T2s can have something very roughly like 2 or more times the normal insulin output for this reason, just to give an idea of what your pancreas may be capable of. Reactive hypoglycemia is linked as a potential side effect of early type 2 (though not conclusively to my knowledge), because this overcompensation response can become too aggressive at times, especially in regards to a challenge (such as carbs).

So while the demands are higher when insulin resistance occurs (insulin doesn't work so well to achieve desired effect), the pancreas will often go into overdrive to try and compensate. It might succeed in regaining the right balance/mix or homeostasis, it may not. And for some, it may release too much insulin at times (too much for the need, even given heightened needs from the IR) and at that moment, cause an excess of insulin and a low blood sugar.

According to the US Department of Health 'reactive hypoglycemia' occurs in people who do not have diabetes.

"Hypoglycemia in People Who Do Not Have Diabetes

Two types of hypoglycemia can occur in people who do not have diabetes:

Reactive hypoglycemia, also called postprandial hypoglycemia, occurs within 4 hours after meals.

Fasting hypoglycemia, also called postabsorptive hypoglycemia, is often related to an underlying disease.

Symptoms of both reactive and fasting hypoglycemia are similar to diabetes-related hypoglycemia. Symptoms may include hunger, sweating, shakiness, dizziness, light-headedness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking, anxiety, and weakness."

http://diabetes.nidd...s/hypoglycemia/

Edited by endure

According to the US Department of Health 'reactive hypoglycemia' occurs in people who do not have diabetes.

"Hypoglycemia in People Who Do Not Have Diabetes

Two types of hypoglycemia can occur in people who do not have diabetes:

Reactive hypoglycemia, also called postprandial hypoglycemia, occurs within 4 hours after meals.

Fasting hypoglycemia, also called postabsorptive hypoglycemia, is often related to an underlying disease.

Symptoms of both reactive and fasting hypoglycemia are similar to diabetes-related hypoglycemia. Symptoms may include hunger, sweating, shakiness, dizziness, light-headedness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking, anxiety, and weakness."

http://diabetes.nidd...s/hypoglycemia/

To clarify, reactive hypoglycemia commonly occurs in people with insulin resistance. All type 2 diabetics are insulin resistant, however the reactive hypoglycemia is normally experienced by people that the health department would term pre-diabetic, so I suppose terminology saves your argument here. Many of us consider pre-diabetics as diabetic, but that's another lengthy topic.

Had bad pain, went to Bang Yai Hospital in the middle of the night, had a Burst Appendix, I have been there before over the years so they have my medical...

The test for BG reading was 272, which they said was very high, I did take all my medication with me, they said was good but took it until I left.

For the 4 days they gave me injections, on leaving the BG was 122...

In UK the Dr told me many years before, to use the urine strips as a meter was not needed for type 2, mostly was always light green so took less metformin [in UK until 2003 took 6x 500MG per day here took only 2 or if the strips went a bit darker took 3]

The Hospital here said the urine strips are no good and not used here anymore, also said test 2 x week if higher than 130 take another metformin tablet. Now I take 4 test every so often and is between 117 - 130 so guess id fine,,,,,,, ?

Just have no idea what the injections were and why in 4 days the BG dropped so much,,,,,,,,,, I did pop in to the Hospital middle of last year for a test, reading was 125, so guess was OK.

. Now I take 4 test every so often and is between 117 - 130 so guess id fine,,,,,,, ?

You take 4x 500 mg metformin per day and you're still waking up with 117 - 130? If I was taking that much metformin I'd want to be seeing 80's in the morning.

My suggestion is that you start learning about your disease and start taking control of your own health. You've been putting too much faith in doctors and as a result you don't understand even the basics. The doctors are only interested in keeping you breathing. If you want to be healthy you need to do some work yourself.

You take 4x 500 mg metformin per day and you're still waking up with 117 - 130?

waking up ? never tested waking up, always test about midday....... UK Hospital check up test every 6 months was after Lunch. here Hospital check up 3x in 8 years again always midday or early afternoon...

There is so much confusing info [mainly on US websites v UK] ....... still can't understand UK and here readings, My goal in UK was to get down to 12, did get down from about 26 to 14... Here i thought low was 112 = no diabetics, so bit of a loss as to a reading of 80 you say ? of is that a US test ? and different than Thailand ? [On the website posted here many talk about 87 - 110]

Thai website UK 5.9 = normal..... 6.7 = 117 start to watch what your eating... over 117 see your Dr maybe will need to be prescribed some medication....

Also got mixed up looking back been taking medication since November 1999..

These measures confuse me.

My doctor told me that 6.5 is normal. What are all these figures in the hundreds?

Yes it is confusing, if you meter stops working and you buy one here it is very different...... appears that normal is 112 on a Thai meter........ now just to confuse us even more looks like the USA have a different reading one as here ? Tropo was talking about a reading of 80, yet on a USA Diabetic website it talks about 59 ?????????? No idea totally confused.... Maybe Tropo is not American ? but from some other place with yet a different reading on there Blood/Glucose meters

please read your BG meter operating instructions and look at the units for the measurement; for some BG meters the result appears in mg/dl and for others it's mmol/l, the units should appear on the little meter screen...google for conversion information...

http://en.mte.cz/conversion.php

and if you've been recently diagnosed with diabetes get yerself a BG meter NOW...investigate to see which brand 'test strips' (they are disposable and one is used per measurement) are conveniently available in the area where you live then purchase the meter accordingly...Accu-Check and One Touch Ultra are popular brands...and read the instructions!

Edited by tutsiwarrior

These measures confuse me.

My doctor told me that 6.5 is normal. What are all these figures in the hundreds?

A normal BG is between 80 and 100 mg/dl for a non diabetic fasting in the morning, 80/18=4,44 mmol/l and 100/18= 5,55 mmol/l

1 mmol = 18mg/dl, on some BG meters you are able to select if you want the result in mg/dl or in mmol/l

after a meal a non diabetic will seldom be above 160 mg/dl or 8,88 mmol/l

If you as a diabetic are able to keep your BG below 180 mg/dl or 10 mmol/l you are OK, but you should ofcause aim for 100 mg/dl or 5,55 mmol/l 2-3 haurs after a meal.

low carb will help you :-)

I don't have a blood glucose meter. I just go to the hospital every two weeks to get a blood test.

Sorry, I'm new at this. Only got diagnosed a month ago.

I took the advice and bought a meter and a lance thingy . I have been testing as much as 4 times daily . It has helped me understand what is happening at diffrent stages of the day and I saw what happened when I scoffed a can of red curry tuna for lunch , I went from 11.1 up to 15.6 mool/L .

It gives you a bit of hope when the BG level comes down . Today my highest was 7.9 in the morning , and lowest 6.1 , 2 hours after lunch .

Unfortunatley I cannot tell you where to buy a set in Thailand , something about pie suppers and ale rings a bell though .

I don't have a blood glucose meter. I just go to the hospital every two weeks to get a blood test.

Go and buy one - if you are on a budget see what strips are cheaper, and buy the meter that use those strips even if it is more expencive.

I use accu check Performa the meter was 4000THB, but I have seen it cheaper afterwoods - the strips are 450-460 THB for 25

I took the advice and bought a meter and a lance thingy . I have been testing as much as 4 times daily . It has helped me understand what is happening at diffrent stages of the day and I saw what happened when I scoffed a can of red curry tuna for lunch , I went from 11.1 up to 15.6 mool/L .

It gives you a bit of hope when the BG level comes down . Today my highest was 7.9 in the morning , and lowest 6.1 , 2 hours after lunch .

Unfortunatley I cannot tell you where to buy a set in Thailand , something about pie suppers and ale rings a bell though .

an increase after a meal is perfectly normal, but it should be back at normal levels 2-3 or even 4 hours after a meal, depending on what you are eating.

If your BG had been normal (let's use 100mg/dl or 5,55 mmol/l as normal values)before your lunch, you would have been at 10mmol/l after your red curry tuna instead of 15,6 - in this case your BG was already slightly high before you had your lunch.

Knowing Thailand there are sugar in everything ...

You take 4x 500 mg metformin per day and you're still waking up with 117 - 130?

waking up ? never tested waking up, always test about midday....... UK Hospital check up test every 6 months was after Lunch. here Hospital check up 3x in 8 years again always midday or early afternoon...

There is so much confusing info [mainly on US websites v UK] ....... still can't understand UK and here readings, My goal in UK was to get down to 12, did get down from about 26 to 14... Here i thought low was 112 = no diabetics, so bit of a loss as to a reading of 80 you say ? of is that a US test ? and different than Thailand ? [On the website posted here many talk about 87 - 110]

Thai website UK 5.9 = normal..... 6.7 = 117 start to watch what your eating... over 117 see your Dr maybe will need to be prescribed some medication....

Also got mixed up looking back been taking medication since November 1999..

I was talking about 80 mg/dl.

Perfectly normal, optimum fasting blood sugar (FBS) is in the 80's. From 100 to 125 mg/dl is considered pre-diabetic and over 126 mg/dl is diabetic.... however to confirm diagnosis one must also do a OGTT.

You may find this interesting: From http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

Nerve Damage Occurs when Blood Sugars Rise Over 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) After Meals

That is a fantastic site you need to start reading today. It's all well referenced with the most recent scientific studies.

The doctors have really confused the heck out of you. Random readings midday are not the way to test. You've been at this a long while and you should be testing yourself - on waking, before meals, 1 and 2 hours after meals and before bed so you really know what is going on. HbA1c results can hide spikes.

Go and buy one - if you are on a budget see what strips are cheaper, and buy the meter that use those strips even if it is more expencive.

I use accu check Performa the meter was 4000THB, but I have seen it cheaper afterwoods - the strips are 450-460 THB for 25

I've just been through this. Fascino discontinued stocking strips for my Horizon One-touch meter so I had to buy a new one.

For me the cost of the strips is the number one concern as I test a lot and can go through 25 strips in no time at all. The Easy-Gluco meter currently has the cheapest strips. 770 baht for 50 (2 x 25). The meter cost 2318 baht with the Fascino discount. I was upset having to change to a different meter after 7 years on the old one but I'm saving 100 baht per 25 strips so it'll eventually pay for itself.

Edited by tropo

I have to travel a lot for work and have to make do with whatever is available...I mentioned that in Vietnam 5 years ago basic supplies were hard to find and had to scramble around a bit as in the provinces the pharmacies only had band-aids (plasters) and paracetamol and could only get test strips and insulin in the cities...in saudi and other places in the Middle East it was a lot easier...

if one is stationary in Thailand then one must look to see what's available locally; in my little town in Suphanburi I can get Accu-check Performa strips and Novopen mixtard 30 cartridges and 'Siamformet' 500mg metformin tablets so not too bad and all OTC and no doctor's 'scrip required...but beware if you travel back to the west where a 'scrip is required for everything and bring yer own supplies when you go for a visit to avoid a visit to the doctor for the 'scrip and the associated cost and hassle...