Flying Standby Via Bkk Passport/Immigration Problem

I am planning to fly standby out of BKK this week. Does anyone know what happens, if I go through Passport Control and security, etc., and then am denied a seat because flight is full? I will have departed Thailand with no more entries altho my tourist visa doesn't actually run out until Mar8. Is there a procedure for leaving the airport which means getting back into the country - and trying again to leave the following day after having been stamped out.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!

Depends on what country your passport is from. I would imagine that since the TR visa entries have all been used up, Immigration will give you a permission to stay stamp depending on your nationality, maybe 30 days? If you come from a country that Thailand requires a visa for any entry, you would need to head for the 'Visa on Arrival' desk and apply there BEFORE going to the passport lines. If your country is ineligible for the VoA, let us know how you got on once they let you go!

<edit> If what PoorSucker says is the way that airlines are allowed to handle standby pax at BKK, then ignore my postulations above. Seems to make sense since as a standby pax, you don't have a boarding pass and Immigration won't process you to airside without one. Some other countries do allow standby's to traipse all the way to the gate before bouncing you.... did that sh!t with Delta once at ATL and a couple of times with AF at CDG.

Edited by NanLaew

They will not let you go through security and immigrations without a boarding pass.

When flying stand-by, you must wait at check in.

Sounds like you have done this yourself - and, if so, did they allow enough time before getting your boarding pass to get through IM and security?

I am flying Delta and have US passport.

As PoorSucker says, I don't think you will get through immigration without a boarding pass, but if you did and did not board the aircraft you would be elgible for a 30 day visa exempt entry. So far as time to get through security and immigration, I think that depends on your departure time and how many other flights are departing.

"...you would be elgible for a 30 day visa exempt entry."

How so? They aren't arriving from anywhere.

If for some strange reason they were to allow this, and give 30 days, there would be a whole lot more people trying it on. Would beat having to get a visa for Cambodia or Laos.

Just went out to CNX airport and found from Immigration officer that they have a "cancel stamp" for someone who stamps out and can't leave due to flight problem. So they're basically canceling your departure/exit stamp and can leave at a later date as long as you have time on your visa. Which I do.

"...you would be elgible for a 30 day visa exempt entry."

How so? They aren't arriving from anywhere.

If for some strange reason they were to allow this, and give 30 days, there would be a whole lot more people trying it on. Would beat having to get a visa for Cambodia or Laos.

As I said, I doubt he would ever get that far. But if he did and had a valid reason for not getting on board, I'm sure immigration has dealt with similar issues before and has a procedure for him to re-enter the country.

Edited by beechguy

Another thing I beleive will happen is that once you get a boarding pass as standby, they will notify the gate agents that there is a standby and that you are working your way down to the gate. Good luck!

Edited by Lifer

You already had a boarding pss and went to immirgation.

A standby passenger doesn't get a boarding pass and go through immigration till there is a passenger with a confirmed seat not going. If everyone turns up and he doesn't get a seat, he will not fly and not go through immigration.

They just cancel your exit stamp - I was once on my way to Copenhagen for work, I got a call that I should not leave but instead go to Maldives two days later. The carrier offloaded my luggage followed me trough the immigration where the exit stamp was canceled. I then collected my luggage in the arrival hall and went out in BKK trough customs.

Two days later I left BKK without any problems - The same would apply to you if you for some reason are denied boarding.

A standby passenger doesn't get a boarding pass and go through immigration till there is a passenger with a confirmed seat not going. If everyone turns up and he doesn't get a seat, he will not fly and not go through immigration.

So If you don't get a boarding pass you can't exit Thailand - no problems, they have not even accepted your luggage then, and you will wait in the departure hallcoffee1.gif

They just cancel your exit stamp - I was once on my way to Copenhagen for work, I got a call that I should not leave but instead go to Maldives two days later. The carrier offloaded my luggage followed me trough the immigration where the exit stamp was canceled. I then collected my luggage in the arrival hall and went out in BKK trough customs.

Two days later I left BKK without any problems - The same would apply to you if you for some reason are denied boarding.

You had a boarding pass the OP is on standby and will only get a boarding pass if they got a seat for him. He has to wait at checkin until there is a seat available. No seat no boarding pass and wait for another flight.

You had a boarding pass the OP is on standby and will only get a boarding pass if they got a seat for him. He has to wait at checkin until there is a seat available. No seat no boarding pass and wait for another flight.

Wrong. Next time you fly, observe the 10 to 15 (or more) folks milling around the employee check-in counter. These are employees and their family or "designated" friends, traveling on non-revenue standby passes. At a reasonable time before boarding, the airline will consult its no-show vs. booking/over-booking algorithms, determine how many, if any, probable empty seats there will be, and then issue, in seniority order, "departure manifest" passes to none, some or all standbys. These DMs function same as a boarding pass, as far as Immigration is concerned, having identical information on them, except for seat assignment. Seats are assigned at the gate, again, in seniority order. And this is the hardest part of flying standby -- not being senior enough to get first class, but, instead, steerage smile.png. But, in most cases you do get on the airplane, as the algorithms are very good. In fact, they'll err on the side of leaving with a few empty seats, rather than having some standbys denied boarding. In all my years of flying standby, going back to Pan Am days, I've never had to return to the terminal after going thru Immigration. And I'm talking in excess of 30 years, 3 or 4 times each, doing this.

But, obviously, this happens enough for Immigration to have its related procedures down pat (as has been explained previously by other posters). Think of the airplane that is fully boarded, only to have a mechanical. The whole airplane has to deplane and go back thru Immigration. Whether you get your old permission of stay back, or a new one, I dunno. Probably depends on what's left on the old one, and when the airline has you re-booked. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's painless.

Oh, if you're a revenue standby, you're ahead of all those 10-15 employees milling about.

Flying standby is not for the faint-of-heart -- or anyone with a tight schedule. Of late, I find old-age and cash now trumps standby (unless the computer has the airplane at least a quarter empty). Sigh.

• Like 1

Wrong. Next time you fly, observe the 10 to 15 (or more) folks milling around the employee check-in counter. These are employees and their family or "designated" friends, traveling on non-revenue standby passes. ...

What made you think that the OP or Kripe of JimGant -- it's not clear to whom you referred -- fits into the above passenger category, ie "employees and their family or "designated" friends, travelling on non-revenue standby passes"?

Post 9-11 i couldn't imagine that anyone without a boarding pass at a commercial airport would be allowed past security. Maybe thailand.

Wrong. Next time you fly, observe the 10 to 15 (or more) folks milling around the employee check-in counter. These are employees and their family or "designated" friends, traveling on non-revenue standby passes. At a reasonable time before boarding, the airline will consult its no-show vs. booking/over-booking algorithms, determine how many, if any, probable empty seats there will be, and then issue, in seniority order, "departure manifest" passes to none, some or all standbys. These DMs function same as a boarding pass, as far as Immigration is concerned, having identical information on them, except for seat assignment. Seats are assigned at the gate, again, in seniority order. And this is the hardest part of flying standby -- not being senior enough to get first class, but, instead, steerage smile.png. But, in most cases you do get on the airplane, as the algorithms are very good. In fact, they'll err on the side of leaving with a few empty seats, rather than having some standbys denied boarding. In all my years of flying standby, going back to Pan Am days, I've never had to return to the terminal after going thru Immigration. And I'm talking in excess of 30 years, 3 or 4 times each, doing this.

But, obviously, this happens enough for Immigration to have its related procedures down pat (as has been explained previously by other posters). Think of the airplane that is fully boarded, only to have a mechanical. The whole airplane has to deplane and go back thru Immigration. Whether you get your old permission of stay back, or a new one, I dunno. Probably depends on what's left on the old one, and when the airline has you re-booked. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's painless.

Oh, if you're a revenue standby, you're ahead of all those 10-15 employees milling about.

Flying standby is not for the faint-of-heart -- or anyone with a tight schedule. Of late, I find old-age and cash now trumps standby (unless the computer has the airplane at least a quarter empty). Sigh.

Standby must be pretty common here. Back in the states, it's rough frying standby. Even a friend who had a buddy pass had to wait almost a week before catching a flight from Hawaii back to the mainland USA. They did take the luggage on the first check-in, and it was waiting for her at the baggage claim when she arrived. Also, when you have multiple legs, standby is much more risky, as you must standby for EACH leg--better to standby for direct flights. Obviously you cannot argue with the price (retail ticket was $3000 vs only about $200+ for taxes) and she got a sleeper due to the seniority. At least with my friend also, she could access some list and see how full the flights were a few days out so she could pick the best day to show up. You could re-check the night before or that day and get a really good idea of how the flight will look, especially an early morning flight. They can also do this at the check-in counter. It would be amazing if a thai airline could give you those details ahead of time.

Outside of employee buddy passes, someone just walking up to the airline hoping to get lucky I see zero advantage to just purchasing an advance ticket. Airlines don't seem to want to hand out discounts these days. I could see if it was a whopper discount (a normal ticket 15,000 baht, standby 10,000), but the risk of not being able to board/paying extra to move around/guesthouse/etc lug luggage around (if they don't accept the luggage) can easily offset this savings. I suppose one could sleep at the airport, if they allow this. I doubt it.

Done it a few times from BKK to the UK. As above, you wait wait wait and then boom you are off; straight through immigration (if boarding already commenced they sometimes will push you ahead in the cue) or into the Thai channel, then it's run run run to the plane. Any thought of doing anything apart from walking very briskly between getting your ticket and getting your arse on the seat is simply not going to happen. You will not get through immigration without the boarding pass, so no seat = no boarding pass.

What made you think that the OP or Kripe of JimGant -- it's not clear to whom you referred -- fits into the above passenger category, ie "employees and their family or "designated" friends, travelling on non-revenue standby passes"?

Just a guess, I guess.... He's either that, or a wait-listed revenue passenger on an over-booked flight. Either way, he'll be allowed to proceed through passport control -- if the computer model projects there will be a seat available for him. He will not, however, be given a boarding pass, which would have his assigned seat number on it. Instead, he is given an equivalent pass, with his name, flight number, date, etc -- and the word "standby" in the seat number block. Passport control honors these as if a boarding pass.

Once at the gate, he'll hang around the podium -- until the flight is closed out in the main terminal. Then, when it is no longer possible for late check-ins to make the flight, he'll be given a seat assignment -- unless the projections were slightly off in his disfavor, and he's the most junior.

That standbys are given ersatz boarding passes, and allowed to proceed to the gate, is the only way this can work. Otherwise, if standby's had to wait until the flight was closed out, they would not have the time to thread their way to the gate. As it is, when that projected :"no show" does show up right before close out, he is hussled through the crew/vp expedited line by a customer service rep, then to the gate. It's even possible the flight is delayed to accomodate him. Rarely, however, is a flight delayed for a non-revenue standby -- unless it's the pilot's wife...smile.png

And, of course, these last minute projected "no shows" get the seats of the most junior standbys. Who now have to go back through Immigration, which is something they see all the time, so it's easily accomodated. Which is the OP's original question.

That he might be interested in the overall drill, especially the fact that he'll probably get on, if he's initially allowed to proceed to the gate -- might be too much information.

You will not get through immigration without the boarding pass, so no seat = no boarding pass.

As said, you get an ersatz boarding pass, called a 'departure manifest' card, that will get you through Immigration. And you'll get a DM card for each of your connecting flights. So, the OP says he's going Delta, he'll get a DM card for his connecting flight at Narita. This he'll show at the security check point, when they ask to see his boarding pass. Then, proceed to the gate.

In the US, since there's no passport control to pass through, all standbys are issued DM cards (which TSA is well-familiar with), and are allowed to proceed to the gate to await seat assignment. Whether all, some, or none eventually get seats is not a concern of TSA nor passport control -- since these will not be encountered as they return home to try again another day.

However, In Thailand, Immigration is geared-up to re-admit a limited number of denied boardings. But, they leave it up to the airlines to minimize such occurences. Thus, DM cards are only issued when there's a high probablilty that the standby will eventually get a seat.

• Like 1