Prison Products Fair

CMHomeboy78

The Sin-kah Kook [Prison Products Fair] that used to be held yearly on the big field adjoining Kam Tieng Flower Market hasn't been there for several years.

Anyone know why?

Has it been held somewhere else and I've missed it?

Those who remember it will also recall how good it was.

All kinds of things from small items to large pieces of teak furniture.

The craftsmanship was generally very high and the materials used were usually top quality.

Was it's end due to meddling by western goverments or NGO's ?

Or possibly big retailers in Chiang Mai wanting to snuff any competition?

This enterprise had no relation to prison labour issues of mass production often raised with other countries, notably China.

It was good for the prisoners who got a chance to excercise their skills and presumably earn a little money as well.

Also good for local consumers who got a chance to buy very high quality goods at reasonable prices.

Is there any chance of it coming back or is it yet another good thing about Chiang Mai that has gone down the memory hole?

Thanks for any information about this.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

This annual sale of mostly high quality goods seemed to get bigger and better every year with more and more regional prisons being included. Then it ended suddenly and inexplicably.

I would like to know myself why they no longer put it on.

As you say, it seemed to be a good thing for everybody concerned.

I recall that it was held at Kam Tieng for several years but before that it was at other places. But I can't remember where.

I don't know what ended it. Maybe some TV Member knows.

Too bad if it was interference by foreign goverments or organizations.

If so, it would be yet another example of do-gooders causing trouble through ignorance.

Can't speak for Chiang Mai, but right now in Bangkok, on the grounds of Klom Prem Prison, there's a huge sale going on. Folks from all over the country are there selling all kinds of stuff, just like you described. I asked several vendors and they said all the goods are made by prisoners. And I also agree, there's some excellent workmanship.

Seeker

This annual sale of mostly high quality goods seemed to get bigger and better every year with more and more regional prisons being included. Then it ended suddenly and inexplicably.

I recall that it was held at Kam Tieng for several years but before that it was at other places. But I can't remember where.

If so, it would be yet another example of do-gooders causing trouble through ignorance.

Why do we assume that is ended due to foreign governments and NGOs? Sounds like someone has an axe to grind.

• Like 1

The problem with associating the fair being last year sometime (as does funcat) is that it rained with good regularity from March onward.

Good question. Mostly just speculation thereafter. Facts anyone?

(Just interested in going!)

The problem with associating the fair being last year sometime (as does funcat) is that it rained with good regularity from March onward.

Actually I think the OP CMHomeboy78 is off when he says it hasn't been there for several years and funcat may not be right either about last year. I recall that last year they didn't have it but in the years previous to that they did.

Think you're right. I don't remember it last year, but pretty sure it was there the year previous...

Actually I think the OP CMHomeboy78 is off when he says it hasn't been there for several years and funcat may not be right either about last year. I recall that last year they didn't have it but in the years previous to that they did.

Why do we assume that is ended due to foreign governments and NGOs? Sounds like someone has an axe to grind.

Because it is what happens. Do you remeber when Darlie tooth paste was Darkie?

Because it is what happens. Do you remeber when Darlie tooth paste was Darkie?

Thanks for replying to this guy.

I think he was the one who drank the whole jug of Kool-Aid at last year's Fourth of July Picnic.

The effect hasn't worn off yet. Maybe it never will.

You might try the Tourist Office. If the sale is up and coming they should know.

But any request for information out of the ordinary will draw a blank "deer in the headlights" stare from those pretty girls in there.

They're absolutely worthless when it comes to providing information that they're not programmed to supply.

I've heard that it was held at Chang Doi Market near the new Sala Glahng.

As so often happens here, the more you try to get information the more confusion you generate.

If it is on it will probably be at Chang Doi.

I hope so, I used to get a lot of good stuff there.

The teak furniture was especially fine and the prices very low.

I remember long conference tables made from single immense slabs of teak.

I was told that the wood was confiscated from smugglers. My-sahk tong, the best, Numero Uno. And all at bargain prices.

Good things like this are disappearing as more and more farangs call Chiang Mai home for all or part of the year.

The trend now seems to be the creation of suburban comfort- zones in addition to their gated communities, hi-rise condos, and entertainment streets that have transformed the city already.

This new development is just beginning and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

It usually starts with a few resturants opened by vanguard settlers and grows from there.

It could be the start of virtual Bantustans dominated by farangs.

The iron gates and brick and mortar walls of their communities would become more subtle in these new zones but none the less exclusionary.

New territories opening up! All are welcome!

The dregs of Europe. Neo-Barbarians from Down Under who make the stone-age Abos look civilized. Low-rent Americans, semi-literate trailer trash. Don't be shy. Step right up. There's room for everybody in this Brave New World built on the ruins of the thousand year old Lanna Thai Culture.

Anyway, meet you at the Sin-kah Kook. When did we say it was on, chaht nah?

Thanks for the input on the Sin-kah Kook.

But toward the end you ranted and rambled way off topic.

I think I know what pissed you off. It was that Mae Hia restaurant thread, wasn't it?

Mindless pap from greenhorns who wouldn't have lasted a week here in the old days. The garbage they eat has addled their brains.

The only post worth reading was the one-liner from AnnaBanana. She, he, or it. Whether she's got ovaries, balls, or an empty sac, is spot on and funny in most of her short posts.

Her two-line put-down of the Space Cadet who took his daughter to get tattooed was a classic.

She uses a razor-sharp scalpel. She doesn't need Lizzie Borden's axe.

Live and let die, Anna. Whatever you are, we like your stuff and hope you don't shoot your load anytime soon.

As for you Gringo, live with it too. No way are things going back to anything like what they were.

Make the best of it Dude.

• 5 months later...

Haven't seen it advertised for a few years. For anyone making inquiries, I think it goes by the name nitessakan sin-ka krongkan ratchatan. If I recall it was a regional activity covering several prisons in the north, and products were sold in a traveling fair.

I don't know why it stopped, but I doubt that it has anything to do with western governments, NGOs, or the increase in foreigners living in gated communities in Chiang Mai. I would guess that either it wasn't making money, or else it was so riddled with corruption--as is anything involving teak and other valuable wood--that it got shut down.

I think it is still going on,but later in the year(I remember the rain)...I was there last year ..

Care to to share where and when last year

Use the search function!

If you don't care to share information on this forum use the search function to find out why you are here.wai.gif

I think it is still going on,but later in the year(I remember the rain)...I was there last year ..

Care to to share where and when last year

Use the search function!

If you don't care to share information on this forum use the search function to find out why you are here.wai.gif

...sorry 'hellodolly' for late respond,been away for couple of hours....last time,if I remember correctly,it was in August(behind Tesco)...that's why I asked,since I don't go to Tesco to often,if somebody knew anything about this...

If it doesn't happen this year that's a shame,because I use to pick up something for the house,I like solid wood and rustic furniture...and the bargaining smile.png

• Like 1

...sorry to bring this up again...but,does anybody know when this furniture fair will be on,or did it already happened and I missed it smile.png ?

There isn't one this year.

Info given by the vendors that border the site where it's been for the last few years say "There isn't one this year" so it seems likely that there isn't one this year. Just how many times does this need to be said? blink.png

• Like 1

...sorry to bring this up again...but,does anybody know when this furniture fair will be on,or did it already happened and I missed it smile.png ?

Info given by the vendors that border the site where it's been for the last few years say "There isn't one this year" so it seems likely that there isn't one this year. Just how many times does this need to be said? blink.png

...twice is enough wai.gif

...twice is enough wai.gif

smile.png