Cm Crime Statistics

TantraMantra

I'm not sure if this allowed. If not it will soon be removed by the moderator...sorry

Global Statistics website numbeo.com sent me this message but I'm only in Chiang mai sometimes.

If the link works perhaps some other Thai visa members would like to do the survey

BTW this is not a plug but Numbeo is a very interesting site which offers cost of living statistics on major cities around the world. It's ever so useful.

Our records indicate that you do live in Chiang Mai

For this city we need more perceptions from our users about Crime

Edited by onthedarkside
link to survey questions removed

I'm not sure I see why this post got the frivolous treatment. The crime stats here would doubtless be hard to come by and then unreliable, but the cost of living and other data would provide an interesting overview if those with local knowledge contribute to it - there's strength in numbers. For some time I've been meaning to price up an equivalent shopping basket from Tesco UK online and Tesco Lotus just to see the difference between an average weekly family bill but like so many things I haven't got around to it. Too busy out doing the shopping...

• Like 2

It's an interesting site for sure, but I wouldn't put too much faith in the data until they have many thousands of samples. For example asking "Thai Visa" for crime stats isn't going to provide a very "unbiased" sample now, is it?? Safety index? On a scale of 0-100% how safe do you feel walking out during the day? At night? Half the farang on here are scared to go outside their front door...

But as Greenside says - strength in numbers... Once they've got a decent number of samples it could be interesting...

Very limited data for Chiang Mai. The data is based on submitted reports from users, of the type "how concerned are you about your home being broken into". And for Chiang Mai there are currently 8 reports total.

That's of a level of reliability of listening to 8 ranters on Thaivisa.com.

And if the number increased from 8 by teh time you read this, then you know the extra reports are from people who have read this topic.

Less than stellar source of factual information.

On the up side though, with *many* reports from a diverse group of people (which should of course include Thai people) it can be a useful site.

• Like 1

Very interesting, but let's face it, it's pretty meaningless and under researched, as it more or less admits.

To pick up on the most important points, imported cheese is expensive here, but not cheap in London either. locally produced cheese is a fraction of the price and readily available. Wine is 80-100 bt (say $3) a glass in a cafe/bar here, In provincial UK it's going to be at least 3 GBP, ($4.5), and they make a profit here although they often buy it retail.

And who, if they have sufficient freedom of choice and flexibility when it comes to a living location to live in Chiang Mai is going to be living in London? They would be in a provincial city or town.

Crime in Chiang Mai?

Well, I noticed a few teenagers driving their motorcycles without wearing helmets, does this count? rolleyes.gif

Not just a few! Majority with no helmet or no chin strap fastened. Probably doesn't count in this post.

Crime in Chiang Mai?

Well, I noticed a few teenagers driving their motorcycles without wearing helmets, does this count? rolleyes.gif

But were there more than 5 on a scooter? How many were children under 1 year old? Did they have their mobile 'in hand' and talking? Perhaps they were smoking a cigarette at night time with no lights working going the wrong way down the street?