So My Idiot Pal Said......

theblether

If you're going to do your CBT in the UK then why not do the practical and theory tests and get a full license. Some training companies throw in the CBT for free if you do a training course for your test with them. May as well go for the direct access course/test and you can ride any bike from day one, otherwise you're restricted to a bike of 33 bhp or less for 2 years. It will probably cost you about £500 for everything. All the travel insurance companies I've spoken to about motorcycle cover whilst abroad have said if they cover you it's only for a bike you'd be legally entitled to ride in the UK.

If you're looking for a first time 125 to cut your teeth on in the UK then a boring little CG125 would probably be your best all round bet.

That's probably a plan too..........I'm very aware that I will need to be particularly sharp about my training. I'm going to look further into the courses you suggested.

Let me give you a couple of small hints. And I am not saying you are a tourist. What country has the most British casualities on holidays? A. Thailand. How are most of these accidents in Thailand happening to the British visitors? A. Riding a twowheeler.

I have raced motorcycles all my life ever since I could get a licence and that is a long time. And I will NEVER ride a bike on the road here. If you start now your riding and in Thailand, it is not a question of if, but of when something will go wrong. Think about it, Do you have a family? But it is, of course, your life. Up to you.

PS. Your pal, is he Thai by any chance?

Edited by Tanaka

Thanks very much, and very good advice from you all.

you can be rest assured that theblether will not be riding his bike while wearing his kilt, some sights should never be seen.

When I was on the Mae Hong Son loop I recognized it as being probably the most extraordinary motorcycling route that I have ever seen. I would n't dare try it without having a lot more experience, and as Daewoo pointed out re the insurance, I need to ensure that I am endorsed so that I can ride a bike over 125cc. I don't want to tackle that route on a 125, so it's lessons time for me. ( My UK travel insurance allows me to ride a 125 without a UK licence, I checked that with them ).

I take on board as well all the advice re helmets and gloves etc. I've seen enough injuries ( and worse ) from motorcycle accidents to know that caution is the best part of valour.

Just as an aside, I won an award from Harley Davidson in 1992. The European Customer Service Salesman of the Year Award. If ever an award was fraudulently given it was that one. Let me explain............

I was primarily a car salesman on the US bases in Germany, the Harley Davidson franchise was added on to my portfolio as an afterthought. Literally, "I know nothing" was the best way to describe me. I tried to do a little bit of research into the history of the company, and as far as I could I tried to pick up a little bit of technical knowledge.

So there was me armed with all my research, and the first customer walked in to ask about a certain model of Harley, ( a Softail Custom, I'll never forget it ), and I volunteered all I knew about it. That took about 40 seconds. The guy looked at me as if I had been dropped off a spaceship, I kind of sat there blinking, just like I had been dropped off a spaceship, then I asked a fateful question.........

"What do you think?.............."

I then sat entranced for about two hours as this guy took me all through the history, the glories, and the calamities of Harley Davidson. He told me about the best bike rides in Northern America, and the routes that he planned in Europe.......

After two hours I said, "Will that be cash or cheque?" and the sale was duly done. I learned a lesson that day..........motorcycling is a passion, just listen, and go with the flow.

So I won the Salesman of the Year award not by being a good salesman, but by being a good listener.

Now 20 years later I've got the bug, better late than never huh?,

Parts of the Mae Hong Son Loop remind me of Mulholland Drive in California.

What type of bike to buy?

If you have motorcycle couriers in your city, have a look at what they ride as typically are super reliable machines, simple and easy to ride. When I worked in London, I spent a long time as a courier.

Just a word of fatherly advice, maybe don't give into the temptation to buy a NEW motorcycle for your first bike because for sure you lay it down a few times while you are learning the ropes.

And NEVER be tempted to ride without gloves as instinctively your hands are the first thing pushed out to cushion and balance your fall and come in contact with the road.

When it comes to 'right of way' ... he said that you can be legally right ... and legally dead.

Actually, even though it as a few years ago, I never had an accident riding in England and tip my hat to the drivers ... though things may have changed since.

OH ... aren’t you a bit young to be considering a licence?

Great story BTW

Some good advice, especially about wearing gloves. I tell everyone this, even if you are just in a t shirt wear them! It is no fun trying to do stuff with all the skin off your hands! You really should buy quality riding gear you are comfortable in and wear it all the time. Yes, you will get hot but that is soon forgotten once underway and donning it will soon become like putting on a seat belt in a car, second nature. Sure, scooter in town traffic is one thing but on the open road and getting over 60kph?.....

BTW, I too was a bike courier in London, 1986 and went down the road so many times I took to carrying a big adjustable wrench to use to bend my levers back into shape so I could cary on.

Great story. I was picturing Jeremy Clarkson in the Vietnam special. You also reminded me of the time my non-riding mate visited and I loaned him my Honda Wave. He tried to ride up the road from Kata Noi towards Rawaii/Naihard, probably the steepest in Phuket. Phuketarians will know what I am talking about. His GFE girl was on the back and when he shifted down to 1st gear the bike wheelied and flipped dumping them on the road. Hilarious. (They were fine.)

I hadn't ridden a motorcycle before 2001 when I first came to Thailand since I was a kid. After riding a Honda Wave then a Honda NSR 150SP in Thailand, I was quickly hooked. I took the basic and advanced rider courses back home and have now owned dirt bikes, Ninja's, CBR's, and a YZF R6. And now it's a passion, all thanks to being re-introduced to riding in Thailand.

Good luck and be safe.

I loved that Vietnam special from Top Gear.......one of the best shows they have ever made and I want to replicate that journey some day.

Reading the rest of the replies, I will be cautious and take the correct training, part of the joy of motorcycling is the ability to just get up and go, but the joy is only complete if you come back in one piece. smile.png

@ Tanaka, he is a fellow Scot.

Edited by theblether

So OP, any updates? How about a story of your riding experience in your country?

No updates at the moment, except to say I've been looking around for the basic equipment and trying to work out which course to take. I reckon I'll be on two wheels sometime in May.

I intend to set the bar a little high in regards to my training, and I have been talking to a couple of friends who have recently done their CBT. I must say everyone says gloves first!! There must be a few painful memories out there.

What type of bike to buy?

If you have motorcycle couriers in your city, have a look at what they ride as typically are super reliable machines, simple and easy to ride. When I worked in London, I spent a long time as a courier.

Just a word of fatherly advice, maybe don't give into the temptation to buy a NEW motorcycle for your first bike because for sure you lay it down a few times while you are learning the ropes.

And NEVER be tempted to ride without gloves as instinctively your hands are the first thing pushed out to cushion and balance your fall and come in contact with the road.

When it comes to 'right of way' ... he said that you can be legally right ... and legally dead.

Actually, even though it as a few years ago, I never had an accident riding in England and tip my hat to the drivers ... though things may have changed since.

OH ... aren’t you a bit young to be considering a licence?

Great story BTW

Don't forget helmets

• 3 months later...

random thoughts about your deal...

...the story was funny due to an okay outcome. If you were roadkill, or a grease spot, not so humourous.

Yes, best to learn in your home country. You need saddle time and lots of it. Ride, ride, ride. Everywhere and anything.

You need experience and confidence. Suss out a local riding group where you live. You will need feedback from level-headed mates you trust.

Rent or download the movies "On Any Sunday"(Bruce Brown) and "From Dust to Glory(Dana Brown)." First movie is all about Steve McQueen dirt bike riding with

Malcolm Smith in the American Southwest, late 1960s.

"Dust to Glory" was produced by Dana Brown, son the "Sunday" director who also did "Endless Summer."

"Dust to Glory" is all about Baja riding...fast! About 2006.

You fall off two wheels, motorized or not and it will hurt.

If there are any Yank wanna-be riders out there, contact www.msf-usa.org

And click on RiderCourse.

There 2700 RiderCourse sites located throughout USA. Maybe read up the what the course entails to see what you are in for.

I refuse to teach or encourage anyone how to ride a motorbike. I do not need their guilt or inujuries on my head.

American women are fearful of motorbikes. You would be afraid of American women if you spied their barristers/lawyers.

Buddies and I made our own motorized bicycles from 5 hp engines and rode all over the place. You could never get us OFF motorbikes.

or minibikes. Then Honda Dreams. Then my fave first real bike: 1970 Honda CBR350. Then a 1971 BMW R60/5.

I never stopped. Glad you have taken to motorbikes, but your friend's stunt was just that: a chancey lark.

Glad you lived to write about it.

Yes, we all started at that magical age of 7. Helped to live in a farm-rural area where we had huge open fields to screw up and not get killed.

Many close calls.

This is what I mean by saddle time: you literally have to eat/sleep/ride your bike 24/7. You will know what I mean after being on your ride for 7-10 days non-stop.

The Honda Wave has a centrifugal clutch. Great motorbike, used by a majority of Tai taxi motorbike drivers.

Reliable and chain-driven. About 49k baht new. It gets 61kmpl, which is about 165mpg.

The Honda Sonic and CBR has a regular manual clutch.

If you buy used in the Kingdom, make sure it is from a falang owner, else you'll be buying junk.

Yes, a 250cc bike or less in UK. 125cc is ideal. Long pants, stout boots, gloves, long sleeved jumper and full-faced helmet.

Eye protection, always. Even if you don't feel like it.

Rent vs owning a motorbike in Thailand: the break point is about 14 months, roughly speaking.

Yes, wise to rent for the first year. Take it slow. If in doubt, get behind a Tai girl and follow her motions.

Tai women are very good, conservative riders. Wise to emulate. They do not rubberneck.

Do not buy a Mio or Click.

Those are "chick bikes" with a single rear shock. Please.

The absolute BEST Tai motorbike riders are the Tai pizza kamikazes, as in Pattaya.

Their wheels are barely on the ground. It took me a spell to figure out why they were riding so pell-mell.

They are amazing athletes, but think about it: kon Tai HATE cheese and the smell of it!

You would be flying as well to get away from the stinky scent of hot melted cheese.

Riddle solved, I think?

I think it is amusing to read about Brits able to use their various licenses back and forth between UK and TaiVille.

If you possess or flash ANY driver's license in USA other than your true in-state driver's license, you're going to jail.

When I return from the Kingdom, I hide my Tai car and motorbike licenses with my passport.

If you really get into your bike innards, tear apart and put together an engine. You will learn more than you thought possible.

You must do more than a few tyre changes, no matter what. I know it is cheaper to hire this out.

Still.....

Keep at it.

Thailand is the last place on earth where you go to learn how to ride a motorbike.

It is all to easy to die in the Kingdom, many have. This is okay for kon Tai who possess their Reincarnation Philosophy. They don't mind dying because they

figure they'll be reborn at week's end back into their family someway, somehow.

Edited by burgdawg
  • Like 1

Op. are you talking about getting a bike in the UK?

if so just get the cheapest 125 that you can find.

something like the Honda Cbf125 or the Yamaha ybr125. there are lots of other cheaper makes as well. Sym, kymco etc.

Two excellent little bikes for a learner.

You want to go do CBT test in the UK, and I want to buy a 125 to learn gear changing, which is OK but you could just leave it at that because the bike test in England is tough, c.c. restrictions, time restriction etc.

If you don't want to bother with CBT etc, you can ride a bike no more than 50cc in UK on a full car license and you can get them with gear change and clutches.

You would be better off just doing the bike test in Thailand, then you can ride what you want.

The only draw back is, before you ask you can't ride in UK with a Thai bike license.

Enjoy and ride to live, K.

I think I would rather go through the CBT while taking an attitude that if I can't pass that then I'm not fit to ride the Mae Hong Son loop.

I appreciate the idea of chugging about on a 50cc in the meantime though......that's a plan.

Forget Doi Suthep and the Mae Hong Son loop, with Burma opening up you`ll be able to get to the Himalayas smile.png .
  • Like 1

...the following falls under "..what things are like elsewheres...."

I did not film this vid, but I rode this area today. Southwest USA desert terrain.

When I mentioned "group riding," I am talking 2-3 other buddies at the max. You don't need a crowd. You want to be in a small cell

for safetry and feedback loops. The more you ride, the more you learn.

Much can be gleaned about motorbike riding from this vid: throttle control, braking, body positioning --check out the shadows as the rider

is standing most of the time, allowing his KTMs suspension to do most of the work. You want to lessen shocks and jolts to your body.

Tune your ear to the 2 stroke's purring and barking engine.

At 2:00 mark, you go flying into space. Easy to do, make sure you stick your landings.

Yes, a long way from ripping up or down Hwy #108, but still fun. Great pucker factor.

Never again can theblether deride those who have no health or travel insurance. He has admitted to engaging in the largest cause of injury to tourists in Thailand without a valid licence and thus has no cover. Glad it worked out ok. I will stay off the roads in chiang rai for a few days just in case. biggrin.png

Glad you are having a good time here.

Never again can theblether deride those who have no health or travel insurance. He has admitted to engaging in the largest cause of injury to tourists in Thailand without a valid licence and thus has no cover. Glad it worked out ok. I will stay off the roads in chiang rai for a few days just in case. biggrin.png

Glad you are having a good time here.

theblether is currently in Chiang Mai with Smokie36, we're both nursing slight hangovers drunk.gif

The craic was excellent last night and it won't be long before we are at it again..........excellent info re the motorcycles etc, update is I've booked a course to do the CBT back in the UK, however due to work commitments I'll be struggling to get the time. I will try my best to get through the course this year though.

Smokie is not a fan of motorcycles, so that mode of transport is out this time. We're staying at the Wangburapa hotel close to Mad Dog, so anyone familiar with CM will know we are as close to the heart of tourist CM as anyone needs to be.

harrry has made a valid point re the insurance, I spoke to my travel insurance company and they have given me exceptional cover up to 135cc, better safe than sorry, and it was worth taking the time to call my insurance company on this specific issue. That being said, I won't kid myself that I have the skill or experience to tackle certain conditions, so off to training I will go, and one of these days I hope to be able to tackle the Mae Hong Son loop, on the right size of bike.

@BirdsandBooze, That's a good tip re the Himalayas, harrry has seen the topic I put up re canoeing the length of Thailand, now that Burma is opening the amount of routes coming available will be amazing for all modes of transport. Exciting times indeed. biggrin.png

Get one of those new 2013 Honda CRF 250L enduro bikes. It is a well built low maintenance all-round bike that will get you through on any road or hill, anywhere in Thailand. 130k new from a honda dealer its probably the best thing you can get and is a Blast to ride!

dirty80s..

yes, excellent motorbike the Honda 230F series is...

rugged air cooled engine made in Brazil. You can drive the piss outta the thing, very forgiving.

More fun than you can shake a stick at. Electric start, yes!

I wish I had one now! I know plenty of buddies with an old Honda XR200R---great little mtn goat.

No suspension to speak of, but a little torque monster.

Two-smoke engines handle totally different: you have to have the engine revved out all the time.

Peaky power band.

2 strokes have been outlawed in the Kingdom for about 8-9 years now.

The weird bikes that are taking root in Japan and USA are the former 50cc Honda Ruckus...now transformed into

a beast with their 150cc engine. The same motor that is in the Honda PCX.

Too many fun rides out there!

www.forums.clubsx.com