Daily Aspirin 'Prevents And Possibly Treats Cancer'

marshbags

The question for me is - should I take aspirin if I am physically fit, exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet?

In other words is aspirin beneficial for a healthy person?

Who exactly should be taking this?

The use of aspirin has been "associated with" the wet form of macular degeneration and other bleeding concerns. Being "associated with" is not the same as saying it's been determined as a cause, but I was taking low dose aspirin and developed sub-retinal bleeding which has caused permanent optic nerve damage.

Edited by Suradit69

I agree it is not for ALL people. It is for people with some obvious risk factors. Not just being middle aged. However, some people are biased against all medication in a dogmatic way. So it's not for them either. But realistically, they're a minority.

I'm not "biased against all medication in a dogmatic way". I think about it and study the available science.

I was in Australia having toenail surgery done last year (toenail ablation). The podiatrist said he had never seen such free-flow bleeding from a toe during surgery. He seemed impressed, but I wasn't. For some reason my blood platelet count hovers around the low end of healthy sometimes dipping below the bottom of the range.

Aspirin could be very dangerous for me and others with lower platelet counts. That's not even taking into consideration I exercise vigorously every day.

I see the problems, but reading the thread as it stands you'd get the impression that aspirin is highly toxic, I don't think it is at all. Yes of course it is not for some people, that goes for any medicine. But I guess the longitudinal study that came up with the findings would also be monitoring for significant adverse reactions. Fair assumption?

JT, I see your point about not just taking it because one is middle aged, nevertheless as far as I am aware being over 50 is a major risk factor in succumbing to the types of ailments discussed.

Well, I don't believe there is any medical authority suggesting that EVERYONE over 50 take daily aspirin. If there was no risk to the daily aspirin, I reckon they would suggest it be put in the water supply. There are risks. Personally, I had a short conversation with a previous regular doc in the U.S. who knew my medical history. I said I am taking daily low dose aspirin. He said ... good. I do think most U.S. older doctors take it themselves so that should tell you something.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, I reckon hemophiliacs are not big on the daily aspirin.

Haemophiliacs have normal blood platelet counts.

OK, sorry. You get my point though, don't you? The point really is this is a therapy that there is good evidence that it is beneficial for people with heart disease (and now cancer) risks but that it does hurt a small percentage of people. Life isn't a rehearsal and we never have all the needed evidence and studies. We make decisions like this everyday and the end result is the same for all of us. I am sure crossing the roads in Thailand is statistically much more dangerous than taking the aspirin, yet we cross the roads. Edited by Jingthing

I do think most U.S. older doctors take it themselves so that should tell you something.

LOL. Doctors as a whole are some of the unhealthiest people around. One doctor I knew was diabetic and I saw him in the supermarket with a trolley full of chocolates.

I do think most U.S. older doctors take it themselves so that should tell you something.

LOL. Doctors as a whole are some of the unhealthiest people around. One doctor I knew was diabetic and I saw him in the supermarket with a trolley full of chocolates.

Perhaps but if they didn't think the aspirin provided some potential protection and that it wasn't worth the small risks, they wouldn't take it.

This all said, I'm pretty sure a lot more people take the aspirin than really need to medically. But it isn't always easy to know if you're a good candidate for the therapy unless are willing to find a doctor you trust to advise you. Otherwise, we make our own choices as the aspirin is over the counter.

Edited by Jingthing

well,...I had a tooth pulled about a year ago at a BKK clinic before I started the daily aspirin and there was lots of blood...no biggie, I thought but the dental surgeon was alarmed and then did a BP reading and said: 'holy shit!...way off the scale!'...and I calmly said: 'there has just been a trauma/amputation with extreme discomfort and stress and wouldn't it appear to be reasonable to you that there would be a momentary elevation?'...

this was at one of the better dental clinics in town...

well,...I had a tooth pulled about a year ago at a BKK clinic before I started the daily aspirin and there was lots of blood...no biggie, I thought but the dental surgeon was alarmed and then did a BP reading and said: 'holy shit!...way off the scale!'...and I calmly said: 'there has just been a trauma/amputation with extreme discomfort and stress and wouldn't it appear to be reasonable to you that there would be a momentary elevation?'...

this was at one of the better dental clinics in town...

LOL again! I'm sure many have elevated BP readings just going into dental clinics let alone having surgery.

Well, I don't believe there is any medical authority suggesting that EVERYONE over 50 take daily aspirin. If there was no risk to the daily aspirin, I reckon they would suggest it be put in the water supply. There are risks. Personally, I had a short conversation with a previous regular doc in the U.S. who knew my medical history. I said I am taking daily low dose aspirin. He said ... good. I do think most U.S. older doctors take it themselves so that should tell you something.

JT, all I said is that just being over 50 is a major risk factor for heart attacks, strokes, and some types of cancer, I did not say EVERYONE should take it, and I have not said there is no risk. Further I have not said it should be given to all, specifically stating youngsters probably need not worry.

The BBC(UK) and Daily Mail (UK) have been featuring this subject in their science sections. Paraphrasing, I hope correctly, there has been one study in rice that killed up to 90% of tumours in experimental rice when administered directly to the tumour.

And it is hoped that a powerful and more potent version of aspirin might be developed that may end up as a stand alone cure for cancer.

As I understand it, many of us on this board at the moment, perhaps 25-50% of us will have a brush with cancer, lets hope things pan out with the research, sounds really promising.

I agree it is not for ALL people. It is for people with some obvious risk factors. Not just being middle aged. However, some people are biased against all medication in a dogmatic way. So it's not for them either. But realistically, they're a minority.

I'm not "biased against all medication in a dogmatic way". I think about it and study the available science.

I was in Australia having toenail surgery done last year (toenail ablation). The podiatrist said he had never seen such free-flow bleeding from a toe during surgery. He seemed impressed, but I wasn't. For some reason my blood platelet count hovers around the low end of healthy sometimes dipping below the bottom of the range.

Aspirin could be very dangerous for me and others with lower platelet counts. That's not even taking into consideration I exercise vigorously every day.

Quite so tropo ! not for you I'd guess. Although, it could be argued that your gushing blood proves aspirin works as an anti-clotter at least. Cold comfort for you I understand.

Like you I am a bit of an exercise fanatic, and likewise have often wondered to what extent it confers immunity from disease.

A great deal when it comes to cardio vascular I reckon. And in protecting against weight gain, which leads to type 2 diabetes, which leads to cancer and heart attacks and so on.

Stand alone cancer I'm not so sure. I know of someone who is very much that ideal that we want to be: looks incredibly young and fit for his sixty years, very impressive athlete, never smoked, and kept a moderately healthy lifestyle, sadly, now fighting a very testing battle with bowel cancer.

Still what can we do? genetics are genetics!.

I think too exercise must be moderate, as strenuous sport may tax the immune system. Could be that gyms are just breeding grounds for germs, but when I use them I know I come down with more colds. It might also be that I have unwittingly disarmed my immune system.

My IBS also worsens when I do stretching exercises too, but is almost completely eased with a football kick about. Lots of variables with exercise.

I guess it is about developing a regime to suit the individual.

I don't think it will be possible to compare health benefits of aspirin with exercise in chart form, different beasts altogether.

Quite so tropo ! not for you I'd guess. Although, it could be argued that your gushing blood proves aspirin works as an anti-clotter at least. Cold comfort for you I understand.

Like you I am a bit of an exercise fanatic, and likewise have often wondered to what extent it confers immunity from disease.

A great deal when it comes to cardio vascular I reckon. And in protecting against weight gain, which leads to type 2 diabetes, which leads to cancer and heart attacks and so on.

Stand alone cancer I'm not so sure. I know of someone who is very much that ideal that we want to be: looks incredibly young and fit for his sixty years, very impressive athlete, never smoked, and kept a moderately healthy lifestyle, sadly, now fighting a very testing battle with bowel cancer.

I think too exercise must be moderate, as strenuous sport may tax the immune system. Could be that gyms are just breeding grounds for germs, but when I use them I know I come down with more colds. It might also be that I have unwittingly disarmed my immune system.

My IBS also worsens when I do stretching exercises too, but is almost completely eased with a football kick about. Lots of variables with exercise.

I don't think it will be possible to compare health benefits of aspirin with exercise in chart form, different beasts altogether.

You made some very good points but I just want to clear up some things.

I have never taken aspirin. My bleeding during surgery was natural. I could just imagine what would happen if I took aspirin.

You say genetics are genetics. I agree - and it even holds true with diabetes. You stated: "weight gain, which leads to type 2 diabetes". In actual fact it's the other way around. i.e. Type 2 diabetes leads to weight gain. This misconception really hurts clinically obese diabetic sufferers who are made to feel guilty for carrying around up to 11 diabetes genes (which have so far been isolated).

I personally take exception to the obesity leads to diabetes type 2 dogma as I'm also insulin resistant (pre-diabetic) and I've never been overweight and carry a lot muscle. In fact 1 in 5 diabetics (type 2) are slim and only 1 in 5 obese people are diabetic.

Regarding the immune system taking a hit from too much exercise. I train intensely most days and haven't experienced a singe hint of immune deficiency as a result. The more you exercise the more care you need to take with your diet - and of course rest and sleep. Take care of that and the exercise will enhance your immune system.

Edited by tropo

Getting off topic, and I spaced out and can't recall the source, but I recently watched a video report claiming that everyone who eats a white rice dominated diet is on the way to developing diabetes!

OK, coincidentally they are talking about the aspirin cancer studies right now on Fox News with some media doctors. The docs talking are excited about the studies and believe they are very credible, but aren't ready to suggest the therapy to all people over 50 yet. Basically people with heart risks, family histories of colon cancer and aggressive prostate cancer, and not so good for people with high blood pressure (so common) and ulcers. Bleeding issues there.

Edited by Jingthing

Getting off topic, and I spaced out and can't recall the source, but I recently watched a video report claiming that everyone who eats a white rice dominated diet is on the way to developing diabetes!

Careful what you believe. Most Asians have a white rice dominated diet.

You made some very good points but I just want to clear up some things.

I have never taken aspirin. My bleeding during surgery was natural. I could just imagine what would happen if I took aspirin.

You say genetics are genetics. I agree - and it even holds true with diabetes. You stated: "weight gain, which leads to type 2 diabetes". In actual fact it's the other way around. i.e. Type 2 diabetes leads to weight gain. This misconception really hurts clinically obese diabetic sufferers who are made to feel guilty for carrying around up to 11 diabetes genes (which have so far been isolated).

I personally take exception to the obesity leads to diabetes type 2 dogma as I'm also insulin resistant (pre-diabetic) and I've never been overweight and carry a lot muscle. In fact 1 in 5 diabetics (type 2) are slim and only 1 in 5 obese people are diabetic.

Regarding the immune system taking a hit from too much exercise. I train intensely most days and haven't experienced a singe hint of immune deficiency as a result. The more you exercise the more care you need to take with your diet - and of course rest and sleep. Take care of that and the exercise will enhance your immune system.

Thanks for setting me straight with your very illuminating post. My sister in law is diabetic and she has sworn for many years that she does not over eat. She has very strong will power and I'm inclined to believe her, especially after what you've said.

I think I probably pick up colds easier than others as I have nasal problems caused by the pollution, thus membranes already compromised, most commonly happens around kids at the swimming pool in my apartment. I think I also read that too much sun exposure compromises the immune system too.

JT, I read that report on white rice too, must admit my first reaction was to dismiss it as utter nonsense, I mean there seems to be tablespoons of sugar in everything out here.

Perhaps we need to get back roughly on topic on following posts.

OK, granted the white rice thing is off topic and perhaps its worth a new topic, but I think its rather established that diets heavy on white rice contribute to diabetes risk, but the idea that everyone who eats a white rice heavy diet is on the road to developing diabetes blew my mind. Yes, it's hard to believe, the risk part ... isn't:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/white-rice-could-cause-diabetes-7574947.html

OK, granted the white rice thing is off topic and perhaps its worth a new topic, but I think its rather established that diets heavy on white rice contribute to diabetes risk, but the idea that everyone who eats a white rice heavy diet is on the road to developing diabetes blew my mind. Yes, it's hard to believe, the risk part ... isn't:

http://www.independe...es-7574947.html

Yeah, I suppose we'll have to leave this discussion for another thread. If you understand how diabetes is determined genetically and not by diet, it's hard to believe the risk part. There's plenty of very obese people who eat very bad diets who will never be diabetic.

Edited by tropo

Genes aren't completely destiny. Even people with cruddy genes can often take steps to help their odds.

This relates really well to the aspirin news about cancer prevention. If you've got the genes for colon cancer in your family, you can help your odds of course with diet and exercise, but now it appears, also with low dose aspirin therapy.

Edited by Jingthing

Genes aren't completely destiny. Even people with cruddy genes can often take steps to help their odds.

This relates really well to the aspirin news about cancer prevention. If you've got the genes for colon cancer in your family, you can help your odds of course with diet and exercise, but now it appears, also with low dose aspirin therapy.

Some more programs on BBC Radio, notably medical matters podcast, about this topic, and also one very good article in the Daily Mail health section.

In the main the stance was pretty much as with tropo, I'd say 70/30 split.

Some doctors interviewed have been on them for years. Some said that the benefits were uncertain, and some said that the greatest preventative was a healthy lifestyle.

But one doctor was quite passionate about the possible health risks and I think I can paraphrase as follows:

The health risks are really much lower than stated when one applies reasonable controls, ie, does not prescribe blindly to over 65's who face the most risk, or to those with Upper gas. track issues. In this instance then the expected poor outcome is reduced to 1 per 1000 per year on the drug. What's more the risk decreases the more the patient is on the drug, so the problem tends to make itself known earlier on. The expert also pointed out that the type of bleed was not very serious, whereas the conditions that aspirin may preven most certainly are.

Inevitably most GPs in UK, will advise against taking aspirin because they are just as confused as the rest of us, and this certainly came over with the GP's interviewed.

To be clear I am not one to suggest that everyone should take it, or everyone over 50 should take it. But I think its worth considering. Normally yes I would say discuss it with a doctor, but for expats living in Thailand I understand the issue of having a doctor that really knows your history or who would be up on the issues about aspirin therapy. So I think for most people you can use common sense and decide for yourselves. Do you have some obvious risk factors for the diseases the therapy might prevent? Being over 50 isn't enough. Do you have conditions that would contraindicate the therapy? People who have already had a heart event should definitely seek out good medical advice because they might need to take a higher dose.

Edited by Jingthing

doctors are heavily influenced by pharmacological concerns...we are guinea pigs and they don't care too much...with diabetes and high blood pressure best to test daily with the equipment available...if you can stabilise with medication then go for it...

I got type 2 diabetes 10 years ago and now have high blood pressure that requires medication...I thought that I could live forever but I now haveta face mortality...but with advice and direction I won't let the bastids beat me...

stay informed...