Pad See Ew Voted Most Popular Street Food Of Bangkok

webfact

Pad See Ew voted most popular street food of Bangkok

BANGKOK, 24 March 2012 (NNT) – Thai food has again made a global name for itself. This time, it is the common stir fried soy sauce noodles locally known as Pad See Ew.

CCNGo, a leading online source of travel news, has chosen Pad See Ew as the most popular street dish of Bangkok along with local foods from various Asian cities including Penang (Malaysia), Taipei, Fukuoka (Japan), Hanoi (Vietnam), Singapore, Seoul (South Korea), Xi’ an (China) and Manila (the Philippines).

The agency has also described Bangkok as a street food heavyweight where people can have a good meal without having to go to a restaurant.

CNNGo has also attributed the overwhelming variety of street foods to the nature of Thai people, many of whom enjoy having a bite to eat throughout the day.

Other dishes on the list of most popular items on CNNGo.com are Som tam, grilled pork, Boat noodles, fried rice with crab meat, Moo dad diew (deep fried spiced air-dried pork), Khanom jeen (fermented rice noodles), iced tea with milk, sweetened sticky rice with ripe mango and coconut milk and Khanom khrok (local coconut pudding).

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-24 footer_n.gif

How can you not agree with Thai street food it is the best. I love living in Thailand the food is good and cheap. We were on Koh Mak and for 60 Baht you got a full plate of shrimp and squidy in soft noodle with gravy a roi mak mak!

Lived in Bangkok for about 14 years and really love Thai food. Had been having hawker food in Bangpa-in and Ayutthaya for lunch during this time. Love it, gained many pounds around the mid section. Love Pad Thai and all the rice dishes plus the various soup noddles. Pad See Ew however not so much, it is nothing more than Malaysian Char Koay Teow with sugar. Too sweet in my honest opinion.

It all depends on who is judging the food, Pad See Ew is a sweet and safe Thai dish. I understand that it probably does well with a person not so adventures with Thai spices. This is a very foreigner friendly dish.

IMHO.

Lived in Bangkok for about 14 years and really love Thai food. Had been having hawker food in Bangpa-in and Ayutthaya for lunch during this time. Love it, gained many pounds around the mid section. Love Pad Thai and all the rice dishes plus the various soup noddles. Pad See Ew however not so much, it is nothing more than Malaysian Char Koay Teow with sugar. Too sweet in my honest opinion.

It all depends on who is judging the food, Pad See Ew is a sweet and safe Thai dish. I understand that it probably does well with a person not so adventures with Thai spices. This is a very foreigner friendly dish.

IMHO.

A foreigner friendly dish in your opinion? I often wait with thais for this dish, suggesting it is a little more than a foreigner friendly dish and is actually a Thai friendly and popular dish

IMHO.

A foreigner friendly dish in your opinion? I often wait with thais for this dish, suggesting it is a little more than a foreigner friendly dish and is actually a Thai friendly and popular dish

Like I said it's my personal opinion, this is a very sweet dish. It is foreigner friendly unaltered. If you follow the Thai's, they add spoonfuls of dried chili flakes, fish sauce, vinegar and oh yeah more sugar as well. Thai's have a sweet tooth. I never said it was not popular dish among the Thai's, I just think this dish travels to the foreigner palette easier.

Edited by RedNIvar

I love hawker food and while there is no denying that it's good in Thailand, I don't think it can compare to Malaysia. What's unique about Malaysian coffee shops is that you can have a choice of 20-30 different kinds of hawker food, all in the same location, from char kuay teow to satay to chicken wings to curry laksa to pork intestine congee. That's what I call food paradise!

I love hawker food and while there is no denying that it's good in Thailand, I don't think it can compare to Malaysia. What's unique about Malaysian coffee shops is that you can have a choice of 20-30 different kinds of hawker food, all in the same location, from char kuay teow to satay to chicken wings to curry laksa to pork intestine congee. That's what I call food paradise!

Yes, I'd have to agree (and Singapore too). Also, Mexican street food culture ain't chopped liver either.

IMHO.

Like I said it's my personal opinion, this is a very sweet dish. It is foreigner friendly unaltered. If you follow the Thai's, they add spoonfuls of dried chili flakes, fish sauce, vinegar and oh yeah more sugar as well. Thai's have a sweet tooth. I never said it was not popular dish among the Thai's, I just think this dish travels to the foreigner palette easier.

Yes, if you watch some of the Youtube videos of Char Kway Teow preparation at famous hawker stalls in Singapore (I've had it at Hill Street CKT) and Malaysia notice that they do not use sugar or MSG (Ajinomoto), so a much better balance. IMO.

I've never been a fan of Pad-See-Ew, it's too greasy and slimey for my liking.

I found a great site a few months back http://www.eatingthaifood.com/ it helped me learn all the names.

The young guys who put all this information have a real passion for Thai Street Food.

Cheers for the recommendation! That is a great site! :)

• Like 1

No way this is a top street food. I never see it on peoples plates.

Not saying it is not a Thai classic and all that....I just never see people eating it.

Phat Krapow Moo Gorpb Pict Mak Kai Dow Suk Suk YUM YUM NOW PLEASE YUM.

Edited by bangkokburning

Give me a nice plate of spicy krapow gai topped with a couple of fried eggs and I'm a happy man.

Tend to find with street-side krapow gai or krapow moo saap, i spend half my time fishing out from my mouth, bits of bone and gristle. Shame cos otherwise i agree, a great dish.

Give me a nice plate of spicy krapow gai topped with a couple of fried eggs and I'm a happy man.

Tend to find with street-side krapow gai or krapow moo saap, i spend half my time fishing out from my mouth, bits of bone and gristle. Shame cos otherwise i agree, a great dish.

I do agree rix sometimes the consistency of the chicken or pork does make you think about where they source their meat from. A bit like those 99 baht BBQ places. Though of course I'm not expecting Kobe beef for that price....

Edited by mca

I do agree rix sometimes the consistency of the chicken or pork does make you think about where they source their meat from.....

Agreed,that's why I use finest pork fillet or chicken breast to make my own.

Mmmm

I do eat pad see ew but it's also a challenge to find decent meat at times.

post-118612-133309618703_thumb.jpg

I do agree rix sometimes the consistency of the chicken or pork does make you think about where they source their meat from. A bit like those 99 baht BBQ places. Though of course I'm not expecting Kobe beef for that price....

True - go with the moo gop - they can't hide stuff in that, and you get a nice bit of crackling too mmmmmmmm drunk.gif

only if the yolk is very runny

Sorry, off topic, but how do you ask for runny yolks? All the 'kai dows' I have ever had on my pad krapows in Thailand are cooked to oblivion...

You're in luck!

An entire thread on the egg subject and here is your answer:

IMHO.

I don't find it sweet, must be where you get it I guess. This is great for when you have overseas guests who can't eat the spicy stuff, my Mum ate it most days last time she was here. I like it with the spoonfuls of extras like the Thais (excluding the sugar).

It is not a sweet dish per-se but it is not spicy for sure. I always add chili pepper and a tiny bit of sugar.

Anyway - I recall years ago this was called I think by Loser Planet as "the national dish of Thailand". I think this was just a rehash of lazy journalism.

*Not easy to find a good one but a good Khao Yam is delish and another one for the not spicy crowd.

Edited by bangkokburning