Going Rate For Web Developer / Project Manager

I'm looking for a very skilled senior web developer that can also works a project manager . Should have very strong skills in HTML5, jQuery and CSS.

How much should i expect to pay for a qualifed responsible Thai employee ?

If you get a thai employee with these skills - not more than 15-20K a month. Anything above should be paid if he is creative enough to put those technical skills in combination with design skills (photoshop, illustrator, vector art illustration, intermediate photography skills with basic post knowledge) - then it makes a lot more sense to pay the guy upwards of 30-35k.

If you are going to develop websites / web based content - what makes everything stand out is creativity. The skill sets you mentioned are required going by the present day's skill standards - but a "creative" guy should be able to put together "original design" even by using old-school html with css !

Today's web developer is not a developer anymore - he's a designer+developer+content manager !

Problem is that these people are 'two a penny', there's no shortage of people willing to do the work..

I was looking for programmers/developers, and my investigations show industry rates are around 30K per month, but for a reliable guy that you'd want to keep, who would possibly work alone, I would suggest paying more than market rate.

Problem is that these people are 'two a penny', there's no shortage of people willing to do the work.

Project managers are 'two a penny'? I wish I could find all these reliable people who can manager web projects... Designers, developers are easy enough to find, although the good ones will already be employed and you'll have to pinch them with higher salaries. But good project managers are not easy to come by in my experience.

I think the OP should reconsider what exactly the role is. Project managers would generally be leading a team of employees (or outsourced resources) who would be doing the actual work. They may also be hands-on, but unlikely they'll actually be "the team".

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely ready to pay more than market price and a price between 30-40k would be alright. I might reconsider the project manager part and just try to find a skilled web developer. So far the people we have had for interviews and asking between 15000-25000, have not be worth our time. It is true, HTML5, jQuery and CSS should be basics for any web developer but I sure found out otherwise. We just got two uni students who are finishing our their degrees. They studied media technology for 4 years on University and I'm in shock of how little they know. They know a little bit about a lot. So basically I'm also looking for someone that could help them along and be a kind of a mentor.

any good developer with experiance and portfolio is making double that through vWorker, PPH and others as a freelancer if they have good english skills...

( I did 140k baht last month )

Okay you made 140k that's great for you. Are you Thai ? Some people do need at least a steady income and only relying on freelance work can be quite a risk.

I doubt there is not one single Thai web developer that doesn't do freelance on the side. I still hope it's possible to find a good web developer within my salary range.

Well one of the main reasons is that I do not speak Thai. 15k seems low for a qualified web developer. Common web standards like w3c seems to be unknown for many of the web developers we interviewed. A bit strange.

• 2 months later...

hi Mads, i am a web project manager working in silom area, my salary is 30k, manage all web projects, organize email communication, summarise requests, time schedule, web design, organize psd layers, communicate to programmer to implement into cms system web,

i can work as project basis, and got a programming team to implement web

if that is what you looking for, i can help to sort out your projects.

Let me know if you interest

thanks

simon

simon.lam at kudozonline dot com

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely ready to pay more than market price and a price between 30-40k would be alright. I might reconsider the project manager part and just try to find a skilled web developer. So far the people we have had for interviews and asking between 15000-25000, have not be worth our time. It is true, HTML5, jQuery and CSS should be basics for any web developer but I sure found out otherwise. We just got two uni students who are finishing our their degrees. They studied media technology for 4 years on University and I'm in shock of how little they know. They know a little bit about a lot. So basically I'm also looking for someone that could help them along and be a kind of a mentor.

I'm surprised that they know that much. rolleyes.gif

What you want is not easy to get, but media technology grads probably ain't it.

Unless even the web developer is familiar/able with programming you are going to get a lot of flailing about and not much else.

Some of them can use applications (up to a point) but are unable to trouble-shoot scripting.

I wonder how much hiring some of the people on this board have actually done, because in my opinion there is no way you'll find a good developer with all these skills in the 15K-20K range.

Just to find employees that show up to work and are capable of basic manual tasks we now have to pay in the region of 10K a month (in Bangkok). Employees who stay with you for several years and capable of computer tasks (email, word, excel etc..) are closer to 15K.

We simply find it impossible to get employees for less (or just they run off after a few weeks, or even half way through the interview)

To get someone who can read/write English (really a requirement in web development), with experience in web development and will not run off when they receive a better offer...I'd think at least 35K per month starting. And once you actually find out there are good I'd bump that up to closer to 45K immediately to hold on to them.