Tomato Sauce Is The New Staple Of Thai Food

jinjinswing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I draw the line at mayonnaise on pizza ...coffee1.gif

So no Pizza Co. food for you, Jing! licklips.gif

Hmm... to me, tomato sauce is tomato sauce... Ketchup is ketchup. The two are NOT the same. Ketchup goes on fries and burgers, if one likes that use... But tomato sauce goes as a topping for pastas and such... And the formulation of the two is hardly the same.

However, I see Wiki says that Aussies and Kiwis call ketchup "tomato sauce." Live and learn...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My ex (in the UK) loved ketchup on everything. It was pretty deflating to be honest, after i had cooked a nice meal, only to see it smothered in Ketchup. All i would request (with a smile) was to tryyyyyyyyyy the meal first before ketchup

I think you may have been a little bit more diplomatic than this too.....

• Like 2

in Vietnam in some places you have to order tomato sauce and mozzarella and if not you just get crust and toppings...sometimes folks just don't get the 'concept'...someone said that in Tuscany they don't use the sauce and the cheese and that these are neopolitan embellishments...is that true?

My ex (in the UK) loved ketchup on everything. It was pretty deflating to be honest, after i had cooked a nice meal, only to see it smothered in Ketchup. All i would request (with a smile) was to tryyyyyyyyyy the meal first before ketchup

things can be lethal when in a restaurant and you object to the preparation of a dish...I don't like mackeral in my yosenabe japanese fish stew as it is strong flavored and messes up the flavor and I once requested that it was not included...I then heard the chef shouting from the kitchen and the waitress appeared quite distressed like the chef was gonna come out and cleave my skull...I then ordered some tempura instead...

the 5'11" girlfriend was entertained and smiled and said: 'how could you be so stupid?...' and I wanted to jump up and shout but she was ravishing that night...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

well i relented, did not want to spoil here dinner...told her midweek i have no tomato sauce in the apartment, she arrived for dinner with bottles of tomato and soy sauce, i asked her to try the sirloin steak before she put any thing on it, she did and she said she liked it then went ahead and put her sauces in her plate.

post-131823-0-18179500-1333813350_thumb.

I'm a total condiment lover but Ketchup and Mayonaise are a total no go. Ruining a good steak with tomato sauce!? HOW COULD SHE?! sick.gif

Almost as bad as ruining good Fish and Chips with vinegar.

Yeah I hate vinegar too! :P

I'm a total condiment lover but Ketchup and Mayonaise are a total no go. Ruining a good steak with tomato sauce!? HOW COULD SHE?! sick.gif

I thought malt vinegar was appropriate for fish and chips. It's not?

It isn't fish and chips without it.

well i relented, did not want to spoil here dinner...told her midweek i have no tomato sauce in the apartment, she arrived for dinner with bottles of tomato and soy sauce, i asked her to try the sirloin steak before she put any thing on it, she did and she said she liked it then went ahead and put her sauces in her plate.

see the Lenny Henry video posted before about the salt...but I doubt that most thais would get the humor as they probably presume that all western cuisine requires ketchup...

Thai ketchup is more like sugar sauce anyhows ...

All commercial tomato sauce is about 25% sugar. She's a sugar addict. But that's not unusual.

no doubt about that as I unwisely bought some horrible 'Prego' sauce that was so sweet as to be inedible...

things can be lethal when in a restaurant and you object to the preparation of a dish...I don't like mackeral in my yosenabe japanese fish stew as it is strong flavored and messes up the flavor and I once requested that it was not included...I then heard the chef shouting from the kitchen and the waitress appeared quite distressed like the chef was gonna come out and cleave my skull...I then ordered some tempura instead...

the 5'11" girlfriend was entertained and smiled and said: 'how could you be so stupid?...' and I wanted to jump up and shout but she was ravishing that night...

Are you sure you checked her Adam's apple ?

It isn't fish and chips without it.

Agree

Are you sure you checked her Adam's apple ?

will you get outta here...there weren't any lady boys in Richmond CA in the early 80s and I was her first in 1970 and I'm well acquainted with her anatomy...

I can't believe that western folks can't tell the difference between ketchup and tomato sauce as one is a sweet condiment and the other is an ingredient for pasta dishes and requires seasoning...I don't use much ketchup meself so did not notice the label on the boddle in the supermarket in the UK...is ketchup called tomato sauce in the UK? if that's true then what do they put in their pasta sauce?

(answer: because brits put ketchup on their pizzas and in their pasta sauce like ignorant american trailer park white trash...)

biggrin.png

Edited by tutsiwarrior

It absolutely disgusts me to see people pour ketchup all over pizza. Or all over a spaghetti bolognese. I've even seen Thais pour ketchup all over a bowl of spaghetti carbonara. So gross. I don't care if someone does it I just don't want to see it while I'm eating

Agreed....sick.gif , but then I hate the stuff on anything, except maybe a litlle in a burger, as long as I can't see it or smell it.....i'm gonna ban it when i'm made prime minister.

Mr tusiworrior...different country's call it different things, in Australia the stuff we put on our meat pies burgers and chips and what my TGF puts on her steak is called "tomato sauce" its the trade name and product we know. We do not have ketchup. The bottle and packaging they use here looks like what we have back home we also sell it in squeeze bottles.

As for sauce you put in your pasta its often labeled "Pasta Sauce", its packaged totally differently to tomato sauce and is a completely different product, comes in various shaped bottles and placed in the supermarket where the pasta's are keep, were tomato sauce bottles either in glass or plastic is uniform between manufacturers with little variation in looks.

The "pasta sauce" and "tomato sauce" they sell here is almost identical to what is sold in Australia but we have a larger range.

Since i am Australian and i started this post i hope this clears up what i have been talking about.

By the way i dont mind a bit of white vinger on my fish and chips, though i can take it or leave it, chicken salt what ever that is has crept into and onto our fish and chips too, its actually quite nice but i cant describe it other than its not as strong as sea salt assuming thats what we use normally.

in Vietnam in some places you have to order tomato sauce and mozzarella and if not you just get crust and toppings...

When I lived in the Trang me and a veggie mate went into what was quite a posh (for the provinces) restaurant. I ordered a burger, he ordered a veggie burger....same price. When it came, he had the same as me - minus the burger - should have been sold as a salad in a bun.......did I laugh my arse off, oh yeh.....

• Like 2

I can't believe that western folks can't tell the difference between ketchup and tomato sauce as one is a sweet condiment and the other is an ingredient for pasta dishes and requires seasoning...I don't use much ketchup meself so did not notice the label on the boddle in the supermarket in the UK...is ketchup called tomato sauce in the UK? if that's true then what do they put in their pasta sauce?

(answer: because brits put ketchup on their pizzas and in their pasta sauce like ignorant american trailer park white trash...)

biggrin.png

Tomato ketchup/sauce is the same thing and is used for chips etc. Tomato puree is what is used in pasta dishes etc. and as much more concentrated than the tomato sauce used in the US due to much of the water being removed. So while the US would use an 8 oz tin the UK would use a 4 oz tube or jar.

Mr tusiworrior...different country's call it different things, in Australia the stuff we put on our meat pies burgers and chips and what my TGF puts on her steak is called "tomato sauce" its the trade name and product we know. We do not have ketchup. The bottle and packaging they use here looks like what we have back home we also sell it in squeeze bottles.

As for sauce you put in your pasta its often labeled "Pasta Sauce", its packaged totally differently to tomato sauce and is a completely different product, comes in various shaped bottles and placed in the supermarket where the pasta's are keep, were tomato sauce bottles either in glass or plastic is uniform between manufacturers with little variation in looks.

The "pasta sauce" and "tomato sauce" they sell here is almost identical to what is sold in Australia but we have a larger range.

Since i am Australian and i started this post i hope this clears up what i have been talking about.

Pasta sauce will generally be seasoned and contain a little of the stock ingredients such as oregano, basil and perhaps thyme.

Ruining a good steak with tomato sauce!? HOW COULD SHE?! sick.gif

If the steak was was already ruined by being cooked to medium or well done then it wouldn't matter though if I cooked a steak and they covered it in ketchup, I wouldn't cook it again.

Until recently they reserved by law the name Tomato Sauce in Australia for sauce made 100% of tomatoes. Tomato Ketchup did not qualify as it generally contains large quantities of filler such as apple juice and little tomato.