Absolute Cheapest Way To Koh Phi Phi From Cm

james24

Im on a real tight budget until the end of the month but need to get down south to say goodbye to someone, any suggestions of the cheapest way to get to Koh Phi Phi from here? I know there is a 300bt train to Bkk but from there Im not sure what to do, any suggestions guys?

Change trains at Bang Sue before entering Bangkok and get another train out. However, unless you intend sleeping on the platform (given no budget for hotel), one will be a night train which will cost you more....

Green Bus do a bus from Chiang Mai to Phuket Town for 1770 from where you should be able to arrange relatively cheap transport to Phi Phi - ask on the Phuket forum for info. However, this is a 24hr ride.

Alternatively, bus with Sombat to Hua Hin (800), then get a mini van (close your eyes) to Krabi (about 400B, if there is one!), then a boat.

I'm trying to be helpful, but best bet is to go to a travel agent in town. The backpacker buses and minivans are quite cheap, easy, just dam_n well uncomfortable and dangerous.

Thanks for the advice

Im gonna go for a 270bt 15 hour train journey to Bkk, yummy! Then from there I believe there is another bus I can get for about 800, however its gonna be painstaking lol

If anyone is driving to Bkk on Sunday I'd gladly chip in for petrol

Just a quick thing what does changing at Bang Sue do?

Bang Sue is 45 mins north of Hualampong. Both northern and southern trains pass through. If you're going to the southern bus terminal by taxi I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe get off at Bang Sue, walk to BTS and get skytrain over Saphan Taksin to the new end of line then a taxi.

LOL, no. You can't walk to the BTS from Bang Sue; that's like a 30-40 minute hike. You could walk to the MRT though, but not sure why you would do that.

What it comes down to: There is no easy way to connect from a train station in Bangkok to the Southern Bus terminal. Closest perhaps would be getting off at Sam Sen station and then taxi. Or maybe there's a bus or van somewhere; I don't know.

But I don't really see why that would be a good idea. I think it makes more sense to take a bus from Chiang Mai direct to the Southern bus terminal in Bangkok: Sombat Tour has one, perhaps others too.

Finally: what you should really NOT do is take one of those backpacker tourist buses. Lots of reports of theft from those, they're really bad news in so many different ways. (including the complete chaos it is to actually get to your destination, because it'll first go to where most backpackers want to go: the boat to Samui or Pha Ngan. So really don't do that.

Anyway, your requirement states 'absolute cheapest'. So other than hitchhiking, absolute cheapest is Third Class train to Bangkok, then Third Class train to Trang, then from there some bus to where the boat to Phi Phi leaves near Krabi. Train to Trang from Chiang Mai in Third is 271 + 285 = 556 Baht. (Plus bus to Krabi, plus boat). Also the connection is horrific, you'll be spending a day in Bangkok doing nothing.

Personally I would not take the train; I'd take the Sombat Tour bus to the Southern Bus terminal, then a bus to Krabi, or if there is one, direct to the boat pier where boats to Phi Phi leave.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Winnie is correct . The cheapest way is third class on the train then a local bus. Two back to back 14 hour train rides in the hot season, no aircon, with a hot wind blowing in through the open window is too much for most people. If you do it you will only do it once!

Winnie is correct . The cheapest way is third class on the train then a local bus. Two back to back 14 hour train rides in the hot season, no aircon, with a hot wind blowing in through the open window is too much for most people. If you do it you will only do it once!

I agree 100%. I once took the cheap train to Hat Yai (appx. 24 hours ride) this time of year. NEVER again!

The problem with

LOL, no. You can't walk to the BTS from Bang Sue; that's like a 30-40 minute hike. You could walk to the MRT though, but not sure why you would do that.

Can't walk 30-40mins? I can! I've walked out of Phuket Airport to the main road to get a bus to avoid paying those taxi scum any money. When money's down, you gotta make do! This guy's on a budget, he'll walk. Though to be honest, I'd forgotten BTS Mo Chit is next to Chatuchak MRT, not Bang Sue.

Problem with two 3rd class trains is they only run in the day. Last time I checked, two 14 hour trips couldn't be squeezed into one day, so he'd be overnighting on the platform. OP, bite the bullet, fly.

• Like 1

I have to go, the truth is its my girlfriend who's leaving and the chances are Ill probably never see here again. Its times like this you realise that arguing its such a waste of time.

Anyways thanks guys

I have to go, the truth is its my girlfriend who's leaving and the chances are Ill probably never see here again....

If she wants to say goodbye, she'll come to Chiang Mai for you.

Regards,

A miserable, lonely git.

• Like 1

I have to go, the truth is its my girlfriend who's leaving and the chances are Ill probably never see here again....

If she wants to say goodbye, she'll come to Chiang Mai for you.

Regards,

A miserable, lonely git.

she already has, think its my turn now

Time to start to like trains then..

Or if you can spend just a bit more, a regular aircon bus to Bangkok is 518 baht. A VIP bus with reclining seats is 806. (Maybe a little more to go all the way to the Southern bus terminal)

Then from Bangkok down to Krabi or Phuket would be something similar.

Bus is way faster than train of course, and you can make a better connection so you can get there within 24 hours.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I didn't know about Sombat to Southern Bus terminal (Ekamai?), but if you can't find that, I am pretty sure there are cheap minivan shuttles between MoChit and Southern stations...

Yes. Tourist bus = danger. Cheap, but dangerous. Drunk drivers (I witnessed that myself), weak worn-out buses, staff that go through luggage, etc. etc.

Cheap trains might save you $20 overall, but it will take at least a day longer than two buses....