Having To Pay For Own Work Permit/Visa

I am being offered a job at a uni (to teach business classes) in Chiang Mai. Pay is 30k and they pay half of my 3% tax. However, they told me it is my responsibility to pay for the work permit/visa but they will offer all the paper work needed. Questions: a)is this normal? OK? b)how much in total will I need to get this wp/visa?

Thanks

I would tell them to get <deleted>, they should pay for the WP, BTW @ 30k pm salary you would be paying 1500b in Tax (assuming you are single with no dependents) so that is closer to 5% than 3% tax.

I wouldn't even bother if I was you.

The salary is not high enough. If it was a high salary and they asked you to pay for your own visa, then fair enough.

Some companies only have so many working permits allowed due to the costs of the work permits and whatnot, however if you keep looking I'm sure you will be offered another job with a working visa supplied.

Some people just wanna have a go and not answer the questions.

WP is 3100 and extention of stay is 1900 both for a year.

You don't state your qualifications or experience so for people to have a go bout salary just shows ignorance. By the way you speak, OP, sounds like you are quite new to the whole thing. Go for it and see how it works out.

Good Lick

I think you got the wrong end of the stick with regards to what I was saying. I was saying good luck with regards to having a good, fun job.

I was trying to negate the comments from the neysayers.

Once again......... Good luck( in your chosen path)

• Like 1

Will they give an extension of stay on that 30k salary ?

I think the lowest salary declaration they will accept is 55k but maybe it's lower for teachers?

Cost of living in CM must be very low if OP is happy he can live of 25k a month?

Edited by PattayaParent

The OP has asked a rather straightforward question. Please stick to the questions asked.

In my experience, most employers pay for the Work Permit, however, some places do not.

Many employers require the employee to supply the visa at their own expense (non-immigrant B).

What's with the 9000 baht tax too? You need to clarify with your employer about that - I get double that salary and pay a little over 4000 tax. Forgot the exact amount

But yes the work permit is about 3K, so not too bad. My school pays for mine, but I pay the yearly visa extensions.

That shouldn't be a problem, or most teachers in Thailand would be <deleted> ! Minimum salary requirements don't seem to apply to us (teachers).

I think the lowest salary declaration they will accept is 55k but maybe it's lower for teachers?

Cost of living in CM must be very low if OP is happy he can live of 25k a month?

Why would it be 25k? My only deduction is 1,500 and school pays 750 of that. Take home should be 29,250. And that is enough to live nicely on here. However, I am a writer and pull in another 30k/month so I'll be fine.

What's with the 9000 baht tax too? You need to clarify with your employer about that - I get double that salary and pay a little over 4000 tax. Forgot the exact amount

But yes the work permit is about 3K, so not too bad. My school pays for mine, but I pay the yearly visa extensions.

750 (2 1/2% tax/month) X 12 months = 9,000 - 3,100 (wp) = 5,900 ahead (vs if school didn't pay half my tax). I guess they pay half of tax instead of wp, which looks to me like it's a 5,900THB good thing.

750 (2 1/2% tax/month) X 12 months = 9,000 - 3,100 (wp) = 5,900 ahead (vs if school didn't pay half my tax). I guess they pay half of tax instead of wp, which looks to me like it's a 5,900THB good thing.

Your talking bout the govment health (social security if you will). I forgot bout that !!

You should be paying (tax) 12 x 30,000 = 360,000 - 30,000 (Single taxpayer) - 9,000 (social security) - 150,000 (tax free threshold) = 1450b tax paid each month by you to leave a net salary of 28550.00b

OK, my bad I thought they were hitting you with 9K a month!!

. I've paid for my wp and visa last year, but we could make them understand that these expenses should be paid by the school.

.It's not just about 5,100 baht!

I believe it shows how welcome foreigners at a school really are...wai.gif