Want Bring Pick Up Back To Australia

Just wondering if anyone has shipped car back to Australia from Thailand and is there a lot of paperwork to do this? I am back in Australia now but the car i want to bring back is from a friend who i am buying the car off when i go back next few months so just want to see what is needed to do this.. I know i will buy the pick up for 150,000 Baht and to buy same pick up in Australia i am looking at $10,000 plus, So if i can get any info it would be great start.. Thanks

There is an Aussie government site that outlines exactly what you need and can or can't do - from memory I'd say that most of the advice offered so far is wildly inaccurate.

Your vehicle will have to be Aussie COMPLIANT if you want to import it. If you want to visit, that is a different matter.....but then you have to sort out getting it back to Thailand. This is best prepared BEFORE arrival....depending on how much time you have.

As for being cheap - you had better check the duty payable.

On top of any duty on a recent car there will be GST too.

Furthermore you might want to compare the specification of the Thai vehicle against the Aussie equivalent. The Thai vehicles are often quite rudimentary in comparison to their Aussie counterparts - tey are cheaper for a reason!

For instance does it have a heater???? - that'll set you back a bit.

The wheels, running gear and suspension can be quite different too.

Then if it's 4WD check the system on the Thai model against the Aussie one - the Thai pickups often have a much more rudimentary one fitted.

I presume you are comparing like with like when it comes to the engine - some Aussie models hae much larger engine options.

Thailand and Oz have a free trade agreement that is meant to be introduced in stages over a fifteen year period that started some time ago. THis should eventually include motor vehicles - new ones at least. Many of the pickups you buy in Oz are made in Thailand - to different specs of course - so you might find prices coming down a bit.

Australia like Thailand has second -hand cars that are extremely high in price. I won't go into the reasons for this - there are too many, but this could change very quickly with the implementation of free trade agreements and higher earnings in Thailand.

• Like 2

tax on new cars here are high while tax on pickups is not to bad

Which "taxes" are you referring to?

The yearly duties on pickups are not universal they can vary with engine size , number of doors and suspension ten.......