Where Are Thee, My Korean Friends?

Somtamnication

Still planning a possible move up there from Phuket, which has turned into a $hithole over the past 10 years. Due to my business, I work with Koreans a lot.

Can anyone tell me where their factories are and what areas of CM are they usually in?

Typically, they live close to each other, spread over several close villages, subdivisions areas. Hoping they do the same up there.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Don't know about factories - though CM is small/compact enough that it porobably is not an issue. I used to own a cafe in CM Hod (near Airport Plaza - but further down towards Hang Dond - a few hundred yards past Macros on the opposite side of the road). There are a few small Moo Bahns there (Ban Kunlaphanview Here> http://maps.google.c...ailand&t=m&z=17) - we used to have a Korean family (husband, wife and 3 kids) come in regularly, really nice people. However, that was a little over 6 months ago as I moved to open a new cafe elsewhere.

Could also try the Korean Culture Centre -

Korean Culture Center Chiang Mai :: ศูนย์วัฒนธรรมเกาหลีเชียงใหม่

50/18 HILLSIDE PLAZA & CONDOTEL 4, Huay Kaew Road.

Amphur Muang Chiang Mai 50300 Thailand

50/18 อาคารฮิลไซต์พลาซ่าคอนโด 4 ถนนห้วยแก้ว อำเภอ เมือง จังหวัด เชียงใหม่ 50300 ประเทศไทย

Tel: 053-404434, 085-7204160

인터넷폰: 070-7893-5824,문자 메시지: 010-2248-2147 ฃ

http://www.kcccm.com/

Good luck

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules

Ah, big help!!! Thanks, Wolf!

Most of my friends have moved from here and gone up there. Not one complaint from them.

You might do better asking them. Here on TV it is a hit or miss thing. I am sure they would have munch more information than we do.

As is everyone else. I think this whole ghetto-concept is very last century. rolleyes.gif

Why?

As someone who grew up in a Mexican barrio are many, many advantages to it. Growing up in that "ethnic enclave", it was like having a giant family that covered a few square blocks. As a kid, I was always safe. I always had people looking after me. The old proverb "It takes a village to raise a child" concept is never more apparent, than when you step into a hispanic barrio.

Then there is the whole culture aspect. Growing up in the barrio, I was immersed in my native culture. The language, the food, the customs/ traditions, etc. That's something that would have mostly been lost, if not for my barrio. And to be clear, everyone in my "ghetto" was fully integrated into American society, but it was really nice to have someplace to still honor our culture and grow up similar to the way our parents did.

-Mestizo

The adults are huge smokers and love their soju. But generalizing them is a bit unfair. But fun, nevertheless.

Some Koreans were smoking outside of the Korean restaurant at Meechok Plaza a few months back and the owner of the gold shop next-door ran out and shouted at them in English that he had a No Smoking sign posted outside his shop and to put out the cigarettes "immediately". The Koreans didn't understand a word of English and kept on talking, laughing and smoking; not even aware the guy was talking to them. This infuriated the gold shop owner. He completely lost control which is rare for a Thai and he began shouting at them in Thai very loudly, even using kwai and hia in his tirade. Every Thai in the parking lot or in nearby shops began to stare. I guess you had to have been there to appreciate it. It was really quite funny.

As someone who grew up in a Mexican barrio are many, many advantages to it. Growing up in that "ethnic enclave", it was like having a giant family that covered a few square blocks. As a kid, I was always safe. I always had people looking after me.

Didn't say it was bad per say for a particular time and place, but currently in Chiang Mai, I don't see too many foreigners all too eager to go live close to each other. Even when Farangs do gravitate to a particular area then it's because the attraction(s) of that particular area; it's not like you have a specific English, French, Italian, American, Jewish or German neighborhood.

Perhaps that's because people who choose to go live on the other side of the world tend to have some sort of individualistic streak, it's not because they are forced to move to a foreign and potentially hostile area to make a living, where having an ethnically similar community can benefit that entire community. But I'm really just guessing.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

As someone who grew up in a Mexican barrio are many, many advantages to it. Growing up in that "ethnic enclave", it was like having a giant family that covered a few square blocks. As a kid, I was always safe. I always had people looking after me.

Didn't say it was bad per say for a particular time and place, but currently in Chiang Mai, I don't see too many foreigners all too eager to go live close to each other. Even when Farangs do gravitate to a particular area then it's because the attraction(s) of that particular area; it's not like you have a specific English, French, Italian, American, Jewish or German neighborhood.

Perhaps that's because people who choose to go live on the other side of the world tend to have some sort of individualistic streak, it's not because they are forced to move to a foreign and potentially hostile area to make a living, where having an ethnically similar community can benefit that entire community. But I'm really just guessing.

I would hate to live in a country specific enclave - my parent live in an urbanisation in Spain (and it is massive) almost half of it is populated with middle aged English (with the odd non-English Brit thrown in here and there) and about a third German, the rest are Spanish and others. Everyone speaks English (except the Spaniards of course), its like Essex with sunshine!

I like living up here in CM because of the diversirty - I meet and chat with other foreigners all the time (as well as locals of course) and I think that is almost the best part of being here - having friends from all around the world.

The adults are huge smokers and love their soju. But generalizing them is a bit unfair. But fun, nevertheless.

Some Koreans were smoking outside of the Korean restaurant at Meechok Plaza a few months back and the owner of the gold shop next-door ran out and shouted at them in English that he had a No Smoking sign posted outside his shop and to put out the cigarettes "immediately". The Koreans didn't understand a word of English and kept on talking, laughing and smoking; not even aware the guy was talking to them. This infuriated the gold shop owner. He completely lost control which is rare for a Thai and he began shouting at them in Thai very loudly, even using kwai and hia in his tirade. Every Thai in the parking lot or in nearby shops began to stare. I guess you had to have been there to appreciate it. It was really quite funny.

Amazing cheek that he thinks outside his shop belongs to him anyway. What an idiot - I bet the Thais thought he was a right pillock

Amazing cheek that he thinks outside his shop belongs to him anyway. What an idiot - I bet the Thais thought he was a right pillock

Being Devil's Advocate for a minute - it 'could' be that he has suffered years of Koreans standing outside his shop smoking and talking loudly affecting his business and 'maybe' he has tried many ways to stop it and even putting up a sign. So don't be too quick to accuse him of being a 'pilloc'k' as we don't know that full facts. I travel all over Asia and it's damned annoying seeing Koreans (mostly as I don't run into any Hong Kong or Chinese around Asia) smoking in bars and restaurants (even with No Smoking signs displayed). They seem he'll bent on committing suicide and take everyone else with them and have no perception of others around them which is why I hope I NEVER live near any - apart from this aspect they may be very nice and decent people.

They are not any different from the Chinese or the Japs. But they pay more than the two mentioned and a helluva lot more than the Thais.

With regards to the comment of "ghetto". These folks do stick together and the moms are a powerful force at home and making business decisions. Husbands are like the Japs...go out and drink till 2 am and then go home, pissing off their wives. Be nice to the women, you may end up with a sugarmama!!!!!

Being Devil's Advocate for a minute - it 'could' be that he has suffered years of Koreans standing outside his shop smoking and talking loudly affecting his business and 'maybe' he has tried many ways to stop it and even putting up a sign. So don't be too quick to accuse him of being a 'pilloc'k' as we don't know that full facts. I travel all over Asia and it's damned annoying seeing Koreans (mostly as I don't run into any Hong Kong or Chinese around Asia) smoking in bars and restaurants (even with No Smoking signs displayed). They seem he'll bent on committing suicide and take everyone else with them and have no perception of others around them which is why I hope I NEVER live near any - apart from this aspect they may be very nice and decent people.

Actually my g/f is friendly with the gold shop owner and his wife and she said at the time they had their very young baby right there in the little shop with them. The shop is only deep enough to put a couple of stools outside the counter and then you are on the sidewalk of Meechok Plaza. So I can understand where the guy was coming from as the smoke would go right their way. What was funny was how the Koreans were oblivious to the fact that all the attention was centered around them. It is quite rare for a Chinese Thai businessman to lose control like he did so yes I suspect that Koreans were constantly smoking out in front of the restaurant and this time he just snapped because he is usually a very polite man.