Anybody Familiar With Hill Living In Doi Suthep National Park?

Jezz

One of my Thai wife’s uncles is developing a new temple adjacent to Wat Phra Phutabat Si Roy, tambon Salawong, amphur Mae Rim, in Doi Suthep National Park, reached by a torturous road from Mae Rim, to an altitude of about 1600 metres. Mains electricity is supposedly scheduled to arrive in about two years. Buildings up there have generators and solar power. Me and my family will be living up there for long periods, the wife running a coffee and gift shop.

Are there any members living near, or with good knowledge of the location? I’d welcome any tips about hill life, the unlikely bonus of Wi-Fi internet signals from surrounding areas, and anything pertinent to this way of life. Also any ideas on the best and quietest generators!

I’ve spent some time up there, and being older, enjoy a quiet life without the need of city buzz, albeit we’ll be going up and down to the city regularly for shopping etc. We have our own house in Isaan, but plan to spend the majority of the time at this new location with its cool climate.

I cycle up there about every 2 weeks and became friends with one of the monks. He told me there are only two seasons of the year: rainy and cold (not cool). For a forest monk life over there is almost ideal but since it's in the middle of nowhere the lack of infrastructure makes it quite difficult for "normal" people to stay there for longer.

Even though I also like to stay in undisturbed, quite surroundings I would rule out for myself to spend the majority of my time up there.

And don't underestimate the powers of nature at a place surrounded by sound rain forest at 1'200 m over MSL: as nice as it is as difficult it makes your daily life. Insects entering not only your electric devices, mildew/fungi at places you never imagined, unwanted fast growing plants occupying your plot within days ... to call only some of the most likely adversities.

And forget a cheap internet access for the time being.

Of course it's possible to survive at places like this but you'll have to learn lots of things the hard and pretty expensive way, too much to list here. Life will be boring and too labourious (especially if you aren't young anymore) in the long run, after the first enthusiasm has gone. This was at least my own experience living two years on Sumatra in similar circumstances.

My suggestion for you: Choose your residence at the foot of the mountain. Very nice areas of land close to little creeks with all anemities of civilization (incl. quick medical care when needed).

• Like 1

Really appreciate Rebo's post. It's kind of like staying on an uninhabited island I suppose: It sounds super romantic at first, but to actually remain comfortable there is a challenge every day. Having to truck absolutely everything up, from drinking water to paracetamols may get old soon, too.

Any chance you could post a map of the location or link to Google maps? Curious about the specific area you mentioned. Thanks and good luck.

19° 01’ 00.84” N, 98° 45’ 43.46” E

Re: Rebo post #4

Thanks for such detail, Rebo. The actual circumstances dictate precisely what we can and cannot do. The premises at the top by the temple will be for living in – a new two-storey construction – with the shop on site. This facility is being made available to us by the uncle who’s building the new temple. To live elsewhere and look after the business wouldn’t be practical or economical. We don’t wish to buy or rent accommodation as we have a house in Isaan. During my two week stay just recently the temperature was pleasantly warm by day and quite cool at night. I know it gets colder in the winter. I feel I wouldn’t get particularly bored as at home in Isaan we live in an isolated village, about the same distance to town as we will be from Chiang Mai. Not having internet isn’t a big deal as I have a large collection of pre-recorded English TV, movies etc – enough for a few years. A trip down to where there is internet will suffice to catch up on news and emails now and again. Also we’ll be driving up and down a lot for various bits and pieces regarding the shop and related activities about the building of the new temple. As for insects – well, there ain’t more than we get in Isaan, and fewer mosquitoes too!

Any chance you could post a map of the location or link to Google maps? Curious about the specific area you mentioned. Thanks and good luck.

19° 01’ 00.84” N, 98° 45’ 43.46” E

Cool thanks! It looks like there's a road leading up there from Saluang, is it relatively easy to navigate in a truck? (2WD). Do you go by mountain bike? How hard is that ride? Appreciate the details.

It's an interesting little road. Can be takled by 2-wheel drives, but no good for long vehicles. I have 4x4 pickup, ideal for reasons mentioned above. Yes, the road is from Saluang (Salawong)

Edited by Jezz

Re: Rebo post #4

Thanks for such detail, Rebo. The actual circumstances dictate precisely what we can and cannot do. The premises at the top by the temple will be for living in – a new two-storey construction – with the shop on site. This facility is being made available to us by the uncle who’s building the new temple. To live elsewhere and look after the business wouldn’t be practical or economical. We don’t wish to buy or rent accommodation as we have a house in Isaan. During my two week stay just recently the temperature was pleasantly warm by day and quite cool at night. I know it gets colder in the winter. I feel I wouldn’t get particularly bored as at home in Isaan we live in an isolated village, about the same distance to town as we will be from Chiang Mai. Not having internet isn’t a big deal as I have a large collection of pre-recorded English TV, movies etc – enough for a few years. A trip down to where there is internet will suffice to catch up on news and emails now and again. Also we’ll be driving up and down a lot for various bits and pieces regarding the shop and related activities about the building of the new temple. As for insects – well, there ain’t more than we get in Isaan, and fewer mosquitoes too!

Sounds like you will have more to do than at home there by lessening the chance for boredom. It is of course important to make enough money to cover your costs. But will there be enough extra to make it worth while. I take it you all ready have a income with enough to live on.

Cool thanks! It looks like there's a road leading up there from Saluang, is it relatively easy to navigate in a truck? (2WD). Do you go by mountain bike? How hard is that ride? Appreciate the details.

Yes, MTB. It's a little bit harder than Doi Suthep due to some really steep passages but never need to push. Since I come from outer Saraphi it's a 130 km tour which takes almost the entire day incl. some chatting with the monks. But it's worth the work, the area is very beautiful. Half the way up/down the mountain is a resort to refill "fuel".

Sounds like you will have more to do than at home there by lessening the chance for boredom. It is of course important to make enough money to cover your costs. But will there be enough extra to make it worth while. I take it you all ready have a income with enough to live on.

I reckon it'll be quite interesting. Any income will be a bonus and not essential. It's really all about the Thai family supporting 'Uncle Monk'

I reckon it'll be quite interesting. Any income will be a bonus and not essential. It's really all about the Thai family supporting 'Uncle Monk'

Good on you.

I have a Thai wife and know what you mean. I don't even pretend to know what others think or feel but it makes me feel good when I can make a positive change in their life. Even just the little extras like a one foot tall bicycle with training wheels for a niece, Not sure what she thought of it but she sure liked the bell,

Yes, MTB. It's a little bit harder than Doi Suthep due to some really steep passages but never need to push. Since I come from outer Saraphi it's a 130 km tour which takes almost the entire day incl. some chatting with the monks. But it's worth the work, the area is very beautiful. Half the way up/down the mountain is a resort to refill "fuel".

We do it on road bikes from Chiang Mai occasionally. I think it's substantially harder than the climb up Doi Suthep because of the steepness in several parts of the climb. There are also a couple of sections with very rough pavement, but there's no need for an MTB unless you need the gearing.

I have no experience doing it in a motorized vehicle but I would think it shouldn't be much of a problem in a 2WD truck. I've seen silver vans make the trip up. It's well signposted from the "Pai Shortcut", the 3009/3010 (marked as both in different places) that goes past the Prem School.

Wonder if the resort halfway up/down has Wi-Fi? If so I could pop in for coffee sometimes to use the internet. I didn’t note the name when passing. Perhaps Rebo knows as he cycles up and down regularly?

Wonder if the resort halfway up/down has Wi-Fi? If so I could pop in for coffee sometimes to use the internet. I didn’t note the name when passing. Perhaps Rebo knows as he cycles up and down regularly?

Jezz.. I believe you are referring to new modern style coffee shop that opened there last year. No internet the last time I was there. If you are into cycling, there is tons of mountain biking in that area. Your nearest shopping is Macro in Mae Rim or the Lotus store up in Mae Taeng. Both a fair drive from the Wat.

For internet your best bet is to find cell phone coverage. If there is cell phone coverage you will also get 3G internet via cell phone or a dedicated dongle. Find out which provider has the best coverage in that particular area.

Thanks. I'm no I.T. expert, but get the idea. I currently use a dongle with antenna for CAT CDMA in Isaan, but imagine no towers up the mountain!

Your nearest shopping is Macro in Mae Rim or the Lotus store up in Mae Taeng. Both a fair drive from the Wat.

That's not bad at all! Better than having to go into Chiang Mai city.

LOL! Even Google Mother$*(*ing Streetview has been up there, with their little Proton cars.. smile.png

http://g.co/maps/g9tw8

The road looks just fine too.. Any better than this and it'd be a highway! wink.png

post-64232-0-03155300-1336614527_thumb.j

You can also contact forum member Johpa. He's familiar with that general area.

That happens to be the car park at the wat, not the road! Thanks for mentioning Johpa too.

LOL! Even Google Mother$*(*ing Streetview has been up there, with their little Proton cars.. smile.png

http://g.co/maps/g9tw8

The road looks just fine too.. Any better than this and it'd be a highway! wink.png

post-64232-0-03155300-1336614527_thumb.j

You can also contact forum member Johpa. He's familiar with that general area.

Amazing to see street view up there! I would not call the road fine though. When I have cycled up, twice I have run into mini-vans that were backing down the steeper parts to get another run at it. With a full load and not enough speed, they can't make it. The road is one of the steepest paved roads I have run into but is a very beautiful ridge top run. Definitely worth a drive up WTK if you have not been up there. Don't go on holidays though as it is a BKK magnet.

• Like 1

Amazing to see street view up there! I would not call the road fine though. When I have cycled up, twice I have run into mini-vans that were backing down the steeper parts to get another run at it. With a full load and not enough speed, they can't make it. The road is one of the steepest paved roads I have run into but is a very beautiful ridge top run. Definitely worth a drive up WTK if you have not been up there. Don't go on holidays though as it is a BKK magnet.

That's good news for the coffee/gift shop my missus will be running at the top. During my recent stay many minibuses and cars arrived.

I cycle up there about every 2 weeks and became friends with one of the monks. He told me there are only two seasons of the year: rainy and cold (not cool). For a forest monk life over there is almost ideal but since it's in the middle of nowhere the lack of infrastructure makes it quite difficult for "normal" people to stay there for longer.

Even though I also like to stay in undisturbed, quite surroundings I would rule out for myself to spend the majority of my time up there.

And don't underestimate the powers of nature at a place surrounded by sound rain forest at 1'200 m over MSL: as nice as it is as difficult it makes your daily life. Insects entering not only your electric devices, mildew/fungi at places you never imagined, unwanted fast growing plants occupying your plot within days ... to call only some of the most likely adversities.

And forget a cheap internet access for the time being.

Of course it's possible to survive at places like this but you'll have to learn lots of things the hard and pretty expensive way, too much to list here. Life will be boring and too labourious (especially if you aren't young anymore) in the long run, after the first enthusiasm has gone. This was at least my own experience living two years on Sumatra in similar circumstances.

My suggestion for you: Choose your residence at the foot of the mountain. Very nice areas of land close to little creeks with all anemities of civilization (incl. quick medical care when needed).

Good advice from Rebo here. There should be rental houses available at the foot of the mountain, perhaps on HWY 3010 which is a quiet back road that gives you quick access to Mae Rim and HWY 1095. That would be a beautiful area to live and you would be able to get to lots of amenities while still allowing your wife to have a short drive to work. Stop at the market near where the mountain road hits HWY 3010 and you will likely find folks very willing to help you find a rental house.

Good advice from Rebo here. There should be rental houses available at the foot of the mountain, perhaps on HWY 3010 which is a quiet back road that gives you quick access to Mae Rim and HWY 1095. That would be a beautiful area to live and you would be able to get to lots of amenities while still allowing your wife to have a short drive to work. Stop at the market near where the mountain road hits HWY 3010 and you will likely find folks very willing to help you find a rental house.

I truly appreciate all the advice and information you guys are offering. Thanks so much. As explained before, the wife's uncle who's developing up there has already neared completion of a combined house/shop on two levels for us to occupy free of charge. So I'll run the gauntlet and live there. Edited by Jezz

The name of the resort is "Taad Plaa Camp" (tadplacamp-retreatdotcom). I'm not sure if they have internet access but looking at their website I guess so. Edited by rebo