Non-Tourist Tasting Or Priced Good Thai Food On The Baht Bus Circuit?

Jingthing

hmmm... what places do you need a car to get to?

everything within 20 Km around Patts is within reasonable range for me :-)

sometimes a bit further - already went to dine in Sattahip, LOL

I prefer an AC car over a scooter. Rain is a problem. Drivers are terrible here. It's hot and dusty. Can't shop at Makro!!!

Sure, you can get around a bit faster in town, but just not my style. I don't mind the extra time to be in an AC, and safer, mode of transport. I have too many friends who are either not with us any more or who ended up in the hospital while riding a scooter. Not worth the risk. Plus, it messes up my hair!!!! tongue.png P.S. I use to race bikes, so I know how to ride.

Any evening, take the baht bus to the corner of Jomtien Beach Rd. and Soi Chaiyapruk. The first shop on Chaiyapruk, in from the corner, is Tequila Suinrise bar. The place I am (highly) recommending is the restaurant next door (2nd shop from the corner of Beach Rd.), called Im Arroy. This family-run place has really good, homemade Thai food- never had a bad meal there- at reasonable prices, and the staff are attentive and pleasant. They're open late, too.

cool.png

I'm not sure of the name of the restaurant, but it's right next to the small transport office there. On the south side of Chaiyapruk, just up from Beach Road. It's mainly a noodle shop and they are great! We go there often and always get some to bring back home. Always packed with Thais.

The Mango Tree* second soi on the left down Pratumnak Soi 4 so you'll have to walk from the Sugar Hut. Family run restaurant, not open weekends and shuts 6pm weekdays I think.

*this is what it's known as locally, there doesn't seem to be a name on it.

Its been mentioned on another thread recently but I sometimes go to the small thai place on Soi Bukaho, I think it's called Numchai. Its opposite the night market and has an open-air fruit stall next door. Pretty cheap with a big menu plus they'll make the food nice and spicy if you ask for it.

Simon

Thanks for the leads/tips folks. Some ideas I will be definitely checking out. Please keep them coming.

Yes, as indicated before, I am very aware there are plenty of places meeting my criteria OUTSIDE the specified locales. But the intention of this thread of course was to talk about what is (or isn't) on offer INSIDE the specified locales. Not really interested in discussing the advantages (or disadvantages) of having private transport and of course that topic has already been done to death here.

JT, I know what you mean.

The best place I know is that hole in the wall on Soi Buakhao, almost opposite Sugar Sugar

There are other places on Pattaya Klang so I have heard, but I still have to try them, and Naklua has a couple of places too.

JT, do you never ride a motorcycle? makes everything so much easier

+ ONE from me- no name on soi Buakhao

I eat quite frequently at the Nana Restaurant on soi 15, just off Walking Street, and only a short walk from the Jomtien Bus stop outside the school. It's a proper restaurant, but has the feel of a street stall. Their Khao Pat Moo is great at 50 baht, and Khao Man Gai is only 30 baht. Been the same price for years. Loads of dancers eat there too so the food must be reasonable for Thais at least.

Ate at Nana on Walking street first time last week, pretty good. JT, have you tried the Thai restaurant (signs all in Thai) in front of the Provincial Court on Thapphraya? Extensive menu (w/ pictures), fairly busy with 99% Thai clientele, a bit on the pang side but very good.

I forgot to mention Somsak's (aka Somsakdi's) on soi 1. The restaurant has been around for ages, has a huge menu and very reasonable prices. I've been there a few times and always found the food very tasty. It's quite a long way down soi 1 (from 2nd Road), but does qualify as being on the baht bus route.

Any evening, take the baht bus to the corner of Jomtien Beach Rd. and Soi Chaiyapruk. The first shop on Chaiyapruk, in from the corner, is Tequila Suinrise bar. The place I am (highly) recommending is the restaurant next door (2nd shop from the corner of Beach Rd.), called Im Arroy. This family-run place has really good, homemade Thai food- never had a bad meal there- at reasonable prices, and the staff are attentive and pleasant. They're open late, too.

cool.png

went to another place couple more shops up from there this morning says noodles on the wooden sign but they have other thai food very good been there couple of times now

Food court Lotus Nua....nothing over about 60 Baht and everything tatses fantastic..Pad Thai especially at 40 Baht....have struggled to find any decent places just to go for quick cheap lunch....but Lotus does the trick everytime...free water also!!!

Another vote for Hole-in-the-wall, the no-name place on Soi Buakhao. Just North of Soi Leng-Kee on the East side.

No prices on the menu - everything is either 60 or 80 Baht. Large portions, free rice and water. Best Cashew Nut Chicken I've found anywhere. Good place to meet other Expats.

post-53404-0-54552000-1337838241_thumb.j

Edited by SurfRider

I forgot to mention Somsak's (aka Somsakdi's) on soi 1. The restaurant has been around for ages, has a huge menu and very reasonable prices. I've been there a few times and always found the food very tasty. It's quite a long way down soi 1 (from 2nd Road), but does qualify as being on the baht bus route.

Yes, worth mentioning. I have eaten there a number of times over the years but got bored with the place and didn't think the value was quite good enough. I assume they still have the flaming chickens! (One of their European dishes.)

Check out Linke Restaurant on Pattaya Klang near Soi Buakhao. It's Thai-Chinese.

LOL

you will have more luck looking for "Leng Kee"

Leng Kee is OK. I guess I got bored with that place too. I'm probably easily bored (and amused). One time something happened there that really impressed me. I ordered two dishes and they got them both wrong (they mixed them up). I complained and they totally recooked both dishes, with a smile. Amazing.

Another vote for Hole-in-the-wall, the no-name place on Soi Buakhao. Just North of Soi Leng-Kee on the East side.

No prices on the menu - everything is either 60 or 80 Baht. Large portions, free rice and water. Best Cashew Nut Chicken I've found anywhere. Good place to meet other Expats.

post-53404-0-54552000-1337838241_thumb.j

Yeah that place is quite famous. I love the schtick of the no prices. That weeds out the timid as they're usually packed anyway. However, I must say for their low prices there is a limit to the quality of ingredients they can offer, understandably so. For example I got a gaeng som there, tasty broth but the "shrimp" were only little nasty dried ones.

Ate at Nana on Walking street first time last week, pretty good. JT, have you tried the Thai restaurant (signs all in Thai) in front of the Provincial Court on Thapphraya? Extensive menu (w/ pictures), fairly busy with 99% Thai clientele, a bit on the pang side but very good.

I did walk by there and immediately realized I already knew the place from years ago. Lets just say I had a memorable shock in the check bin over a tom yum soup and the charge (by weight) for the shrimp (by weight) in it. Noticed the green curry is 150 baht; worth it for sure if it is really good green curry. Anyway, I'll pass on that one, but thanks! Edited by Jingthing

Its been mentioned on another thread recently but I sometimes go to the small thai place on Soi Bukaho, I think it's called Numchai. Its opposite the night market and has an open-air fruit stall next door. Pretty cheap with a big menu plus they'll make the food nice and spicy if you ask for it.

Simon

I think I know the the place. It's a place that features boat noodles, yes? (But also has a full menu.) If the same place, yes I like it. But be warned, at that place if you order phet phet they will blow you away (some places say phet phet and you get sort of spicy).

I've noticed that place near the court, but never stopped by. Is there an English menu inside?

Another vote for Hole-in-the-wall, the no-name place on Soi Buakhao.

I used to eat there almost every day when I lived nearby, though it did get a bit tiring trying to get a table sometimes. Many of the dishes are modified slightly to suit farang tastes, I think, but there's no real harm in that.

Another vote for Hole-in-the-wall, the no-name place on Soi Buakhao.

I used to eat there almost every day when I lived nearby, though it did get a bit tiring trying to get a table sometimes. Many of the dishes are modified slightly to suit farang tastes, I think, but there's no real harm in that.

I'm not a regular but I have found the food spiced well as I order it phet phet. It may depend on what you order also. Edited by Jingthing

I've noticed that place near the court, but never stopped by. Is there an English menu inside?

Menu is in thai/english/russian and has pictures too, so everybody should be able to get what he wants.

Simon

I think I know the the place. It's a place that features boat noodles, yes? (But also has a full menu.) If the same place, yes I like it. But be warned, at that place if you order phet phet they will blow you away (some places say phet phet and you get sort of spicy).

He he he - nothing wrong with being blown . . . . . . away tongue.png

• Like 1

I will stand-by for a flaming but...........It is 3 years since I was there but Cucumber on Pattaya Tai was good.

It's been a while for me too, and I found the food pleasant as well. The pricing however is touristic.

We've eaten there one time. Nice decor also. I heard they had gotten the chef in on part ownership. One reason for consistent quality. Prices are high, especially for western food.

Agreed. It is a place where you can get a half-decent tuna sandwich and bowl of pumpkin soup.

All too rare in this city.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Simon

BTW, I stopped by this place a few nights ago. The fruit stand was open. The restaurant looked very shut up. Is it closed for good or just temporarily?