Pool - Competitive Players

samsara

American style pool, who plays? Have only found 1 good table in all of CM (at Number 1 Bar), but hardly anyone plays there. Any competitive players interested in starting a pool night? Perhaps a little small wagering as well...? whistling.gif

Not much response.

Probably players have graduated to snooker and prefer a game of skill on a real size table.

Check out some of the snooker halls for graduated ex pool players.

because pool takes no skill? tongue.png care to wager on a game...? clap2.gif

where are the good snooker halls? ive only seen walking sticks and putting green tables...

Not much response.

Probably players have graduated to snooker and prefer a game of skill on a real size table.

Check out some of the snooker halls for graduated ex pool players.

because pool takes no skill? tongue.png care to wager on a game...? clap2.gif

where are the good snooker halls? ive only seen walking sticks and putting green tables...

I'm trying to bait someone to answer and help you, but they're all playing pool.

There's a good snooker hall near Changklan residences (I think it's called that)......with some interesting but sometimes annoying spotters.

Enough with the wagering or the mods will remove it.

Edited by uptheos

Blue Sky Bar on Moon Muang is a popular place for pool players. I don't know what kind of pool, but I assume the tables are of reasonable quality. Not exactly a hi-so establishment, but if you're comfortable in Number 1 bar you'll be ok in Blue Sky.

Blue Sky Bar on Moon Muang is a popular place for pool players. I don't know what kind of pool, but I assume the tables are of reasonable quality. Not exactly a hi-so establishment, but if you're comfortable in Number 1 bar you'll be ok in Blue Sky.

been there. unfortunately, they just have small snooker tables passing off as "pool" tables. sad.png

only true pool tables ive found and quality of said tables on 1-10 scale:

1. lanna bowling (5),
  2. 8 ball (6, good table but only a 5 footer),
  3. number 1 bar (8).

have tried checking side spin out but its never open.

not looking for hi-so at all. rowdier, the better. just want a good table, decent equipment, and laid-back, yet, competitive players.

Edited by samsara
  • Like 1

You will probably not find any real good pool/billiard/snooker table in a commercial establishment in Thailand.

(well, maybe in some very expensive hotel,.... maybe)

As they don't make those quality tables in Asia as we know them in Europe and the US.

I've been asked to source an Asia based manufacturer once a while ago and the answer after 3 months of research was NO.

Except China makes some but not nearly half as good as the European ones

The good ones need to be imported and then installed by a professional (most likely he need to travel here on a B visa with temporary WP)

I've learned that installing a table can take up to 3 days till it's all right. (just hearsay)

Which makes them extremely expensive and not profitable for a 60 Baht an hour snooker hall in the end,....

I'm not surprised to hear that Fred's pool in Nr.1 is of good quality,... he's Belgian after all.

Any good self-respecting cafe of bar in Belgium has a descent Billiard or Snooker table in the back room.

Edited by KhunVee

The good ones need to be imported and then installed by a professional (most likely he need to travel here on a B visa with temporary WP)

I've learned that installing a table can take up to 3 days till it's all right. (just hearsay)

The 3 days was a one off, normally 1 day but last time the lorry bringing the snooker equipment crashed on the highway. Apparently the cues went back for miles...

Police said the driver was under a rest...

but seriously....most players are male; thats somewhat disappointing?

• Like 1

Are you referring to number one bar in Loi Kroh...down the side alley where they have two tables?

I sometimes play with friends there. I can't really say if I'm good enough to be competitive for you (I play a lot, but got totally owned in a recent competition) but happy to give it a try...

You will probably not find any real good pool/billiard/snooker table in a commercial establishment in Thailand.

As they don't make those quality tables in Asia as we know them in Europe and the US.

I've been asked to source an Asia based manufacturer once a while ago and the answer after 3 months of research was NO.

Which makes them extremely expensive and not profitable for a 60 Baht an hour snooker hall in the end,....

I'm not surprised to hear that Fred's pool in Nr.1 is of good quality,... he's Belgian after all.

Any good self-respecting cafe of bar in Belgium has a descent Billiard or Snooker table in the back room.

Absolute nonsense. There are plenty of establishments in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket with either industry standard Brunswick tables, or the perfectly good Warricka Chinese replicas. And you certainly don't need to fly in a professional to set a table up, when there are competent people in Bangkok who can do it.

The tables in No.1 Bar are average at best IMO. Similar to the barmaids in that sense!

Sidespin is the only place with a 9ft American table. They run comps on a Thursday night. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002865971860&ref=ts#!/profile.php?id=100002865971860

Absolute nonsense. There are plenty of establishments in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket with either industry standard Brunswick tables, or the perfectly good Warricka Chinese replicas. And you certainly don't need to fly in a professional to set a table up, when there are competent people in Bangkok who can do it.

The tables in No.1 Bar are average at best IMO. Similar to the barmaids in that sense!

Sidespin is the only place with a 9ft American table. They run comps on a Thursday night. http://www.facebook....100002865971860

Ohh, my bad,... I thought we were talking competition quality tables here,...

Are you referring to number one bar in Loi Kroh...down the side alley where they have two tables?

I sometimes play with friends there. I can't really say if I'm good enough to be competitive for you (I play a lot, but got totally owned in a recent competition) but happy to give it a try...

im not world-class or anything. just trying to provoke some interest in playing pool in CM...ive only found 2 people so far who play with any regularity. ill hit you up in a PM.

Sidespin is the only place with a 9ft American table. They run comps on a Thursday night. http://www.facebook....100002865971860

so they are actually open on thursdays? ive driven past 3-4x at various times/days and its always closed.

so they are actually open on thursdays? ive driven past 3-4x at various times/days and its always closed.

I don't know, I'm living in the uk at the moment. Call the number on the facebook page to check when it's open, Monto is a nice guy, speaks good English.

from looking at the facebook pics, the table at sidespin is exactly what im looking for. now to find people who wanna play.

where is warm up?

bad news....sidespin is shutting down crying.gif . just got off the phone with the owner and he said itll be closed by early june. so much for that.

Edited by samsara

im not world-class or anything. just trying to provoke some interest in playing pool in CM...ive only found 2 people so far who play with any regularity. ill hit you up in a PM.

Well, if you go to the Blue Sky Bar on Saturday evenings, Im sure you'll find some competitive players (Thai and Farang). Even if you don't like the tables, maybe you could make an appointment with them, and play somewhere else.

from looking at the facebook pics, the table at sidespin is exactly what im looking for. now to find people who wanna play.

where is warm up?

bad news....side spin is shutting down crying.gif . just got off the phone with the owner and he said itll be closed by early june. so much for that.

Nimmanheiman Rd, towards the Suthep Rd end of it. It's a big nightclub/bar/restaurant venue, popular with Thai uni students. Monkey club has a 7ft table as well I think.

Bad news about Sidespin. sad.png

Oh daer oh dear. Bangkok must be one of the top places in the world to be playing snooker. Hundreds of snooker halls, most of them with excellent tables. And at a price you could only dream of back in the UK, for example. How could you be so wrong?!

As for chiang mai, there are a few places for quality snooker tables. Caesars in chang klan road is one of them.

To the OP:

Quality players are all around the town. Friday nights you can see them in the pool league.

Tables are not top quality mostly, because they're all free. And because of that the quality of players is very high indeed. We can get to play loads of games without breaking our bank balance.

As people have mentioned, go down to blue sky bar at the weekends, for big money and top quality players. Go there and come back reporting that you've won the comp, then we'll listen!

And if there's a lack of american pool tables, there's a lack of demand. It ain't the proper game is it??!!

Really, chiang mai is an excellent place for pool and snooker players.

• Like 2

To the OP:

Quality players are all around the town. Friday nights you can see them in the pool league.

Tables are not top quality mostly, because they're all free. And because of that the quality of players is very high indeed. We can get to play loads of games without breaking our bank balance.

As people have mentioned, go down to blue sky bar at the weekends, for big money and top quality players. Go there and come back reporting that you've won the comp, then we'll listen!

And if there's a lack of american pool tables, there's a lack of demand. It ain't the proper game is it??!!

blue sky was the 1st place i tried about 3 weeks ago. just 2 small/converted snooker tables used for "pool". plenty of contours, old felt, pockets are slow, bad sticks...but ive noticed that blue sky does win the pool league rather routinely so there must be some quality players, if only the venue didnt leave much to be desired.

ill take american pool over pool'ker curling (closest ball to the pocket wins). tongue.png

• Like 1

been there. unfortunately, they just have small snooker tables passing off as "pool" tables. sad.png

1. lanna bowling (5),
  3. number 1 bar (8).

not looking for hi-so at all. rowdier, the better. just want a good table, decent equipment, and laid-back, yet, competitive players.

Sidespin is closed for good now and table sold last week. As far as I know it was the only decent 9 foot pool table in Shanghai after the close of CueBar last year.

blue sky was the 1st place i tried about 3 weeks ago. just 2 small/converted snooker tables used for "pool". plenty of contours, old felt, pockets are slow, bad sticks...but ive noticed that blue sky does win the pool league rather routinely so there must be some quality players, if only the venue didnt leave much to be desired.

ill take american pool over pool'ker curling (closest ball to the pocket wins). tongue.png

I was joking about american pool! When you make comments like that then i start having to agree with you! I have problems with that kind of play where they just go for blocking the pockets. My game is probably suited more for american pool.

Plenty of quality players around, it's just that because pool is free everywhere in town, there's no financial incentive to get some decent slate tables. Finding a proper flat table is difficult, and finding one where quality players are is even harder because the table is used so much.

Snooker is a completely different game to pool, rather akin to comparing cricket with baseball.

Snooker is a completely different game to pool, rather akin to comparing cricket with baseball.

Indeed!......I'd love to see 'slugger' tickle one down to fine leg.......with snooker and pool, art v painting springs to mind. wink.png

1. lanna bowling (5),
  3. number 1 bar (8).

Sidespin is closed for good now and table sold last week. As far as I know it was the only decent 9 foot pool table in Shanghai after the close of CueBar last year.

any idea who bought it? if sidespin werent so poorly located i would have bought/leased the whole place laugh.png

"Perhaps a little small wagering as well...?" whistling.gif

I hope your not advocating gambling in Thailand.

Be sure to register your 49% of the venture with the dept of Dirty Deeds which is located at the local BIB office. They will take care of all the legal matters for you and ensure that your 49% of the take is secure.

"Perhaps a little small wagering as well...?" whistling.gif

I hope your not advocating gambling in Thailand.

Be sure to register your 49% of the venture with the dept of Dirty Deeds which is located at the local BIB office. They will take care of all the legal matters for you and ensure that your 49% of the take is secure.

will go register straight away. clap2.gif

To the OP:

I think you might seriously get a whooping at Pool if you played at Blue Sky there are some excellent pool players there both thai and farang and the fact that they play on a half size snooker table with SMALL pockets it requires a lot of accuracy which is contrary to playing on one those BIG American size tables which you you can miss by 2 inches and it still goes in.

Blue Sky is the bar with the best players in chiang mai especially on the Saturday night competitions, you will just have to brush up on your game and learn to play on a real table that requires some skill biggrin.png

I have won the Sat comp at Blue Sky many a time, although I don't play there anymore but still play every friday night in the Pool league.

DK

Edited by DiamondKing