New Thailand Garmin Map For Iphone

So, I bought a Garmin Nuvi 3790 from the US and loaded the Thai map from ESRI Thailand last year. All works great except Junction View only works on Garmin units purchased in Thailand. Bummer, because I tend to make my navigational mistakes at junctions by flying through (slow down much?) and going on any one of the multiple tangent roads branching off from many intersections in Bangkok. 3D map, with many buildings around Bangkok work well. New maps released a few weeks ago, so I updated the Nuvi, and still no JV, but 3D works.

Well, I can confirm that if you load the new Thailand produced maps, version 12.1 onto your Garmin Onboard app in your iPhone, it WILL display JV. Tested and confirmed today on a run around Bangkok and down to Pattaya with the iPhone mounted on my motorcycle. It doesn't speak street names though, but found the audio useful nonetheless. It will fade out your music and give you quick audible instructions that were good enough for me to navigate without taking my eyes off the road and look at the screen. You should have headphones in, even if not listening to music, or you won't be able to hear the audio from the phone, and the earphones will act as earplugs anyway. Having the screen off also saves battery, and any GPS app will suck your battery dry very quickly, especially with your 3G going. I don't have that problem, since today I wired a 2 port USB charger onto the front of my bike that has a 5W and 10W port. But, without it, last week, my battery was down to 40% after 2 hours of 3G and Garmin, and I was turning the Garmin app on only when needed to conserve battery.

The app itself is great. I probably will never use my Nuvi unit again, even in the truck, it works so well. Look up function for items of interest around you is great, such as fuel stations and restaurants. Pretty accurate and many many choices. I think this is a must buy app if you use GPS in Thailand. Two gripes, the App thinks you are in the Central Mountain time zone in the US, so arrival time is not correct and so far I can't find a way to change that. Also, you cannot import your saved Favorites from another Garmin device like you can with standalone Garmin units, you have to manually enter your favorites in. Time consuming to do by manually adding coordinates.

It is a somewhat aggravating process to get the map, 3D map, and JV map on the phone, but if you want to try, PM me and I will give you the link for the website I used.

Hope this helps!

BTW, should this be in the GPS section?

I was gonna wire a charge socket onto my bike the standard cig lighter type ,but the two port USB sounds a better idea was it already to wire into the bike our did you modify it

I modified it a bit. I soldered the ground wire to one of the prongs on the sides and ran it straight to the battery, and the power lead from my rear brake light switch to the center metal piece on the adapter. Attached is a photo of the same type of USB adapter I used. It cost I think 100 baht at Pantip or just about anywhere in Thailand, and the top slot is 10w for iPads/tables, and the bottom slot is 5w for phones/GPS (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.). There is a blue LED light near the 2 slots that lights up when it has power. I wired it to the brake light switch so it doesn't receive power unless the key is on so it doesn't drain my battery. So for 100 baht for the adapter, 28 baht for 2 meters each of ground and power wire, and about 10 baht worth of solder and electrical tape, and I can charge my phone, and if necessary, my iPad (not while I am driving!).

post-65746-0-57625900-1338123230_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

I was gonna wire a charge socket onto my bike the standard cig lighter type ,but the two port USB sounds a better idea was it already to wire into the bike our did you modify it

Wonder if this will work

http://www.burnsmoto...eatherproof.php

Sure if you want to spend 1000-1500 baht to have it shipped here. I spent 150 and it is still working great, even after being exposed to rain that went right into the USB port! Haha

I modified it a bit. I soldered the ground wire to one of the prongs on the sides and ran it straight to the battery, and the power lead from my rear brake light switch to the center metal piece on the adapter. Attached is a photo of the same type of USB adapter I used. It cost I think 100 baht at Pantip or just about anywhere in Thailand, and the top slot is 10w for iPads/tables, and the bottom slot is 5w for phones/GPS (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.). There is a blue LED light near the 2 slots that lights up when it has power. I wired it to the brake light switch so it doesn't receive power unless the key is on so it doesn't drain my battery. So for 100 baht for the adapter, 28 baht for 2 meters each of ground and power wire, and about 10 baht worth of solder and electrical tape, and I can charge my phone, and if necessary, my iPad (not while I am driving!).

post-65746-0-57625900-1338123230_thumb.j

Can you post some picture of where you located the charger?

Wonder if this will work

Sure if you want to spend 1000-1500 baht to have it shipped here. I spent 150 and it is still working great, even after being exposed to rain that went right into the USB port! Haha

I forgot that some people does not have the luxury of frequent travel, family and friends in many countries wink.png

Would not be surprised to find a similar or same over at fortune or pantip.

BTW has anyone tried the Garmin app? I have downloaded it but am currently traveling so have not had a chance to try it out.

Edited by nbg

Wonder if this will work

I forgot that some people does not have the luxury of frequent travel, family and friends in many countries wink.png

BTW has anyone tried the Garmin app? I have downloaded it but am currently traveling so have not had a chance to try it out.

Even without shipping and duties it is 1000 baht.

As for the app, I use it several times a week on my motorcycle and find it quite good. Even on edge, when I lose my 3G, it still can give me audible turn by turn directions in a timely manner. The spoken street names does not work very well, it trips up on Thai names. It is very accurate with the new Thai maps, 3D buildings are occasionally useful, and Junction View works great in Bangkok. My Garmin nuvi 3790 will not display Junction View since it is a US model, but both are identicle for directions, speed of route planning, etc. I have put the same destination into both my phone and the nuvi and placed them side by side in my truck, and they look and perform identical.

Some complaints, time is Central US, so time of destination is incorrect and there is no way to correct it for Thailand time. Also, there is no way to import/export POI's or Favorites from

Even without shipping and duties it is 1000 baht.

As for the app, I use it several times a week on my motorcycle and find it quite good. Even on edge, when I lose my 3G, it still can give me audible turn by turn directions in a timely manner. The spoken street names does not work very well, it trips up on Thai names. It is very accurate with the new Thai maps, 3D buildings are occasionally useful, and Junction View works great in Bangkok. My Garmin nuvi 3790 will not display Junction View since it is a US model, but both are identicle for directions, speed of route planning, etc. I have put the same destination into both my phone and the nuvi and placed them side by side in my truck, and they look and perform identical.

Some complaints, time is Central US, so time of destination is incorrect and there is no way to correct it for Thailand time. Also, there is no way to import/export POI's or Favorites from

A search on google for usb weather proof power socket usb charger and you get few options for just under $20 - 600b

Just thought they look more slick and dont mind paying few hundred bath for a better fit.

I know there is the shipping and duty, I got around duty few times by sending with normal postal service and put it as gifts. Most the time I pick stuff while traveling or have friends carry stuff over.

Finding something locally that works is usually better though

Anyways nice to hear the garmin seems to work good, i had an old 205w or something years ago (picked it up in Singapore for almost half the price that they were going for in Thailand) which was really good and you could download and install new maps in it.

Lately on the bike i have used an iPhone with TomTom Thailand app which has worked good but not great when it comes to get in and out of bkk, had one time it threw me off in the wrong direction... And now they have included Thailand in the TomTom South East Asia app and we have to "buy" it all over again to get updates...

There is also one app called Sygic which has got some good comments

Kind regards

Edited by nbg

I have tried Sygic and Tom Tom and Garmin always routes better because the local Thai maps are made by ERSI here in Thailand, not by Garmin. I am sometimes amazed at the detail. For example, the symbols of banks and stores match the actual signs out front of the store. So a 7-11 on the map shows the actual 7-11 symbol. Also, it has some POI's that are not even completed, but have begun construction. The new condo/shopping complex on Ratchada in Bangkok, and the new mall Terminal 21, were both on the Garmin map even before they were completed. Also, those other maps are not updated as often as the Thai map, which is released every April.

• Like 1