Rabies In Thailand

theblether

I was reading about the death of a UK national that contracted rabies from a dog bite in South Asia. Apparently there were 13 rabies deaths in Thailand in the first 5 months of 2010, 6 of which were in Bangkok.

The Ministry of Health declared BKK a rabies hotspot at the time. Does anyone have up to date figures for the incidence of rabies?

My sister was bitten by a dog in West Africa and had to get a rabies injection, not a pleasant experience.

I'm wary enough of soi dogs as it is without adding rabies to the mix. I wasn't aware it was an issue in Thailand, ( I knew it was a serious problem in Indonesia ), so to anyone else that was unaware it's one more reason to give unfamiliar cats and dogs a miss.

FYI, the current POST Exposure shots for dog bite are just like normal shots, given in the arm. No more shots in the belly, that's long ago.

If the dog is identifiable, take about three shots, then stop if the dog hasn't gone "bad." If the dog isn't IDed, then complete the series of POST exposure shots, four more, I think.

And, not really very costly at all.

Our nephew had the short series as a result of a dog bite here on the mooban soi, as did another kid here.

Mac

• Like 1

It's always been my policy that if bitten by a street dog, mauled by a cat, etc, and the skin has been broken, get your ass down to the hospital and get the shot. This may very well be knee jerk reaction, but with rabies, for myself and the family better safe than sorry.

As Thanyaburi Mac said earlier, there are no more stomach injections needed, so it is no big drama.

• Like 1

Doesn't everyone just get the vaccine?

Used to get one every three years, on my last visit they told me they now give a booster at one year and it's good for 8+ years.

B450 or so at the local public hospital, cheap peace of mind.

Does anyone know the cost of the post-exposure course of 5 vaccinations?

In reply to the OP, I think it depends on where in Thailand you live. Last I heard there had been no rabies on Phuket for several years.

3 people that I know here in Pattaya were bitten by soi dogs and all went for the post exposure shots.

I would do the same if I was unfortunate enough to be bitten, as much as I dislike going to doctors or hospitals.

It never occured to me to get the vaccination, that's something I'll sort out now.

My sister got the stomach injection, I'm pleased that's not done anymore.

Apparently Rabies is most prevalent in dogs aged 3 to 6 months, ie just at the cute age when they are most likely to be petted by strangers.

I see the Thai Public Health Ministry has made great strides in reducing the prevalence of Rabies, it would appear the soi dog population is the ongoing problem as most domestic pets are vaccinated.

The perfect (not so perfect) post for me to comment in, since just over a week ago I was the unfortunate victim of a dog bite from one of our local (and usually VERY friendly) soi dogs. One of the gang got into a dispute with a domestic dog, and nearly lost his eye because of it (this gang is very friendly but one of the males is becoming a bit boisterous with other dogs after being a timid dog for so long), with the domestic dog trying to pull this soi dog through the fence by sticking his teeth in the poor dogs cheek. Luckily the dog got off with some minor cuts, but during trying to break up the fight, one of the gang (a very shy dog normally) decided to stick his teeth in my leg. I think he was protecting the other dog, since it probably looked like we were trying to hurt him whilst breaking up the fight. We care a lot about these dogs, they are very friendly and are looked after by some of the locals here who feed them every day, and for the most part are very domesticated despite being wild animals.

ANYWAY, after getting bitten and having blood pouring down my legs, me and my girlfriend rushed to the hospital and were asked how long since the bite. I was panicking a lot, and I really don't like hospitals, but we had to wait a good 40 minutes to see anyone. So it was within about two hours of being bitten that I had both a tetanus and anti-rabies injection, and was given a sheet to come back for four more doses of anti-rabies within a month period. I've now had my third injection as of last Sunday (exactly a week from when it happened) and have had to have my dressing changed every day for a week (as of Sunday I was told it's fine to take off and just keep a bandage on the main wound). My legs looks pretty bad but it's getting better.

Prices: First visit: Tetanus injection and vaccine injection (including consultation fee and nursing charges - 1,684 baht.

Changing dressing every day for a week - 120 baht a day (for this I went to my local clinic which is 80 baht cheaper than hospital)

Second visit: 2nd vaccine injection (including hospital charges) - 878 baht

Third visit: 3rd vaccine injection plus consultation/final dressing change - 1,321 baht

I'm supposed to have a consultation with the doctor at the hospital next Sunday to check my wound, but I'm going to visit the clinic again instead since the doctor there has been dressing my wound all last week and is very nice, plus it's a lot quicker and there are no cheeky hospital fees thrown in (the hospital charged me 400 baht for a 'consultation' with the doctor that lasted no more than 30 seconds).

So I have another two injections coming up, plus a consultation at the clinic (about 100 baht) which means 2x 878 baht more.

I'm not complaining. It's no small amount of money (for those that couldn't be bothered I've added it up to: 6,459 baht) but for something like this I would rather pay than take the risk. We see this dog every day, and like I say he is very friendly and not at all wild, but I do still worry and so am continuing the full course. When we first visited the hospital we were given a bill of something like 4,500 baht total, but that was just for the injections.

Thought I would post a bit in depth for anyone concerned or just reference for the future. If you want to save money, go to a clinic and have it done. I just personally rushed to the first place I thought of for this kind of thing, and despite the cost I'm glad I did. I hope no one has to go through this, but there's the information if you are unfortunate enough to be bitten!

• Like 1

It's no small amount of money

No it's not. I'm guessing maybe BNH or Bumrungrad? I can understand those who can afford it wanting somewhere you're guaranteed to get prompt service and English speakers everywhere in an emergency.

Even the most excellent public hospitals would be much less expensive, so for those believers in prophylaxis who want/need to save a bit, the regular places are just fine for that.

And good reminder, get your periodic tetanus booster while you're at it, and any of the other ones you probably got when you first moved here but haven't refreshed, plenty of Dengue and Hep A/B, consider Diphtheria, Tuberculosis, Meningitis, Typhoid, Yellow fever as well.

The perfect (not so perfect) post for me to comment in, since just over a week ago I was the unfortunate victim of a dog bite from one of our local (and usually VERY friendly) soi dogs. One of the gang got into a dispute with a domestic dog, and nearly lost his eye because of it (this gang is very friendly but one of the males is becoming a bit boisterous with other dogs after being a timid dog for so long), with the domestic dog trying to pull this soi dog through the fence by sticking his teeth in the poor dogs cheek. Luckily the dog got off with some minor cuts, but during trying to break up the fight, one of the gang (a very shy dog normally) decided to stick his teeth in my leg. I think he was protecting the other dog, since it probably looked like we were trying to hurt him whilst breaking up the fight. We care a lot about these dogs, they are very friendly and are looked after by some of the locals here who feed them every day, and for the most part are very domesticated despite being wild animals.

ANYWAY, after getting bitten and having blood pouring down my legs, me and my girlfriend rushed to the hospital and were asked how long since the bite. I was panicking a lot, and I really don't like hospitals, but we had to wait a good 40 minutes to see anyone. So it was within about two hours of being bitten that I had both a tetanus and anti-rabies injection, and was given a sheet to come back for four more doses of anti-rabies within a month period. I've now had my third injection as of last Sunday (exactly a week from when it happened) and have had to have my dressing changed every day for a week (as of Sunday I was told it's fine to take off and just keep a bandage on the main wound). My legs looks pretty bad but it's getting better.

Prices: First visit: Tetanus injection and vaccine injection (including consultation fee and nursing charges - 1,684 baht.

Changing dressing every day for a week - 120 baht a day (for this I went to my local clinic which is 80 baht cheaper than hospital)

Third visit: 3rd vaccine injection plus consultation/final dressing change - 1,321 baht

I'm supposed to have a consultation with the doctor at the hospital next Sunday to check my wound, but I'm going to visit the clinic again instead since the doctor there has been dressing my wound all last week and is very nice, plus it's a lot quicker and there are no cheeky hospital fees thrown in (the hospital charged me 400 baht for a 'consultation' with the doctor that lasted no more than 30 seconds).

So I have another two injections coming up, plus a consultation at the clinic (about 100 baht) which means 2x 878 baht more.

I'm not complaining. It's no small amount of money (for those that couldn't be bothered I've added it up to: 6,459 baht) but for something like this I would rather pay than take the risk. We see this dog every day, and like I say he is very friendly and not at all wild, but I do still worry and so am continuing the full course. When we first visited the hospital we were given a bill of something like 4,500 baht total, but that was just for the injections.

Thought I would post a bit in depth for anyone concerned or just reference for the future. If you want to save money, go to a clinic and have it done. I just personally rushed to the first place I thought of for this kind of thing, and despite the cost I'm glad I did. I hope no one has to go through this, but there's the information if you are unfortunate enough to be bitten!

400 baht for a consultation, Memorial Hospital in Pattaya charged me 850 baht for less than 5 min. with the doctor. I was told 5 minutes or 20 minutes, same price.

It never occured to me to get the vaccination, that's something I'll sort out now.

Apparently Rabies is most prevalent in dogs aged 3 to 6 months, ie just at the cute age when they are most likely to be petted by strangers.

I see the Thai Public Health Ministry has made great strides in reducing the prevalence of Rabies, it would appear the soi dog population is the ongoing problem as most domestic pets are vaccinated.

I really don't believe that most domestic pets are vaccinated against rabies (or anything else). No doubt some people will have their pedigree puppies vaccinated against rabies shortly after they first buy them, but even then I believe very few people will take them in for the yearly booster shots.

As for the costs. When I had my first series of post exposure rabies vaccinations, I did it at the local clinic for 500 baht per shot. The second time I went to the local health centre, where the cost was 50 baht per shot (and 100 baht for the tetanus shot).

Sophon

Very informative post DavidSL, thanks very much for taking the time to write it, I think there will be a few people reading this and taking some preventative action now.

@BigJohnnyBKK........thanks for pointing that out too, it's sometimes easy when we are sitting in hotels etc in tourist areas to forget that we are in a Third World country, TB is growing at an alarming rate in the UK again.

Edited by theblether

I suggest that one consider obtaining the vaccination outside of Thailand. Due to last year's vaccine shortages, vaccine was sourced from China. I am not confident in post production monitoring of the Chinese vaccines, nor confident of the molecular stability of the vaccines. If in the EU, Australia, North America, Singapore, obtain it there.

PS. Not saying the Thai origin vaccines are unsafe, just that I think the likelihood of possible defect is lower in the non Thai sourced vaccines, unless sourced from a reputable Thai hospital and one can verify the source of the vaccine, i.e. obtain the box and verify the lot number.

Edited by geriatrickid

I suggest that one consider obtaining the vaccination outside of Thailand. Due to last year's vaccine shortages, vaccine was sourced from China. I am not confident in post production monitoring of the Chinese vaccines, nor confident of the molecular stability of the vaccines. If in the EU, Australia, North America, Singapore, obtain it there.

PS. Not saying the Thai origin vaccines are unsafe, just that I think the likelihood of possible defect is lower in the non Thai sourced vaccines, unless sourced from a reputable Thai hospital and one can verify the source of the vaccine, i.e. obtain the box and verify the lot number.

I'll do it in the UK, Chinese fake medicines are a scourge and just not worth the risk. Thanks for the tip wai.gif

rabies vaccines for most mammals do not need to be done every year but every two to three years; howver in areas that have a low compliance level it is usually done every year so that poeple 'stay in the loop' of getting the vaccine and not forgetting altogether. as for people, same same; get blood titered to see when u have to get next vaccine. and as for tetatanus - it seems that 7-12 years or more is the norm at least here in israel unless u work with horses or in a zoo. anyway u always get a booster when bitten.

dog bite wounds have a high incidence of infection since they are small holes externally and lots of damage to tissue inside the point of the bite. that goes for dogs that have been bitten as well.

and getting preventative vaccine does not mean u automatically dont need a back up shot. and u can start the whole rabies series within 24 hours of exposure unless the bites were on your face or neck (most bites are on legs or arms).

and we had several cases of rabies in north israel last year among dogs that were registered as being vaccinated the same year (unlike the states, here it is mandatory for yearly vaccine and it is enforced. we have lots of rabies here. and quite a few cats , including one incident where a soldier died from rabies after being scratched by a army base feral cat.

and it is not just pups that get rabies although the age u mentioned is within the time frame of 'just weaned' pups that dont have mother's antibodies anymore from her (hopefully) rabies vaccine that they get from nursing, and the 6 month time wehn most pups get their vaccines of rabies (at least here). but any age can have rabies. btw, buffalos can also get rabies. rare. we have had donkies with rabies. and antelopes. adn with them, it is often dormant for up to 6! months.

definately matters from where the vaccine comes from, and which batch numbers etc... and rabies vaccines MUST be refrigerated. the vaccine is sensitive to heat. (at least the ones we used here. i had to carry them in a special cooler maybe there are others that dont need that). and surprisingly enough, the dosage is the same for most mammals.

bina

israel

appropriately enough, just saw a sign on our kibbutz bulletin board that there is a rabid fox hanging out in our public area and to keep our dogs leashed (yeah right)...

rabies vaccines for most mammals do not need to be done every year but every two to three years; howver in areas that have a low compliance level it is usually done every year so that poeple 'stay in the loop' of getting the vaccine and not forgetting altogether. as for people, same same; get blood titered to see when u have to get next vaccine. and as for tetatanus - it seems that 7-12 years or more is the norm at least here in israel unless u work with horses or in a zoo. anyway u always get a booster when bitten.

dog bite wounds have a high incidence of infection since they are small holes externally and lots of damage to tissue inside the point of the bite. that goes for dogs that have been bitten as well.

and getting preventative vaccine does not mean u automatically dont need a back up shot. and u can start the whole rabies series within 24 hours of exposure unless the bites were on your face or neck (most bites are on legs or arms).

and we had several cases of rabies in north israel last year among dogs that were registered as being vaccinated the same year (unlike the states, here it is mandatory for yearly vaccine and it is enforced. we have lots of rabies here. and quite a few cats , including one incident where a soldier died from rabies after being scratched by a army base feral cat.

and it is not just pups that get rabies although the age u mentioned is within the time frame of 'just weaned' pups that dont have mother's antibodies anymore from her (hopefully) rabies vaccine that they get from nursing, and the 6 month time wehn most pups get their vaccines of rabies (at least here). but any age can have rabies. btw, buffalos can also get rabies. rare. we have had donkies with rabies. and antelopes. adn with them, it is often dormant for up to 6! months.

definately matters from where the vaccine comes from, and which batch numbers etc... and rabies vaccines MUST be refrigerated. the vaccine is sensitive to heat. (at least the ones we used here. i had to carry them in a special cooler maybe there are others that dont need that). and surprisingly enough, the dosage is the same for most mammals.

bina

israel

appropriately enough, just saw a sign on our kibbutz bulletin board that there is a rabid fox hanging out in our public area and to keep our dogs leashed (yeah right)...

Very interesting Bina.......I knew rabies could cross species but not to the extent you mentioned.

I too don't believe many people get their domestic pets vacinated. Pet owners I've seen in my Moo Ban won't even take their dogs for daily exercise; beyond me why they claim to love their pets.

Doesn't everyone just get the vaccine?

Used to get one every three years, on my last visit they told me they now give a booster at one year and it's good for 8+ years.

B450 or so at the local public hospital, cheap peace of mind.

In THL it's every year for "peace of mind.

Rabies is back this year in BKK

I just lost one of my dogs 2 months ago from rabies. He got it here in the neighborhood.

Because exposure can be anything, a cat, a bat, a squirrel, types of animals that cannot be monitored and population being dense,it's recommended to have a shot every year

The post exposure is 5 shots - 3 weeks for dogs, 1 months for humans

Edited by aneliane

I really don't believe that most domestic pets are vaccinated against rabies (or anything else). No doubt some people will have their pedigree puppies vaccinated against rabies shortly after they first buy them, but even then I believe very few people will take them in for the yearly booster shots.

I too don't believe many people get their domestic pets vacinated. Pet owners I've seen in my Moo Ban won't even take their dogs for daily exercise; beyond me why they claim to love their pets

As with a lot of things I guess it depends where you live in Thailand,

In my Isaan village 120 km north east of Udon Thani its a yearly requirement to get your dogs a rabies shot, you have to pay for the vet to come around and do a house call, 50 baht per dog I think, and then he gives a little metal tag for their collar to show they've been vaccinated. Any dogs without a tag in our village are subject to being "disappered"

Must be a local thing, but it's a good idea.

Rabies is a big problem in Thailand.I have witnessed two dogs with it in our village and the most likely there has been many more.Recently owners of dogs in the village were offered free innoculations of their dogs against rabies paid for by the government.I hope it was a nationwide program.Personally my two dogs have been innoculated for the past two years against rabies,distemper and a couple of other things that I can't recall and the cost was only 50฿ for the combined injection.crazy.gif

I too don't believe many people get their domestic pets vacinated. Pet owners I've seen in my Moo Ban won't even take their dogs for daily exercise; beyond me why they claim to love their pets.

WE love our dogs ( 2 of them ) and have always had them injected for prevention of the most common diseases that are a threat to their well being.

We do not take our dogs out due to the threats of Soi dogs and wild dogs that roam about all over the place, that are not looked after and are a constant threat to not only pets, but humans also.

Most have owners who just do not give a fkc about them, leave them to roam freely and do not feed them much if at all.

Our dogs have never lost their coats and do not scratch till their flesh is bloodied either as many do, due mainly to the injections they get yearly as a preventative to whatever causes these poor dogs to suffer as they must do.

Had we not been prepared to pay for a good quality life for them we would never have had them in the first place.

It,s a pity those who neglect their pets did not think of this before hand.

If people are not prepared to take care of them do not adopt / have them as far as I,m concerned

marshbags wink.png

Our dogs have never lost their coats and do not scratch till their flesh is bloodied either as many do, due mainly to the injections they get yearly as a preventative to whatever causes these poor dogs to suffer as they must do.

These dogs suffer from mange, which are caused by small mites that burrow into the skin and causes the skin to itch terribly resulting in the dogs scratching themselves until they bleed. The mites are present even in heathy dogs, but if the dog has a healthy immune system they wll be able to repress the mite infestation. A healthy immune system relies heavily on proper nutrition, and after we started feeding the local soi dogs none of them have any problems with mange anymore.

I don't believe there are any preventative injections that protects against mange for more than a month or two. So the fact that your dogs aren't suffering from mange probably has more to do with them just being generally healthy.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

"A total of 23 human rabies cases were reported from Central and Southern Regions in 2009. The

Central Region reported 20 cases and the Southern Region reported three cases, while no cases were

reported from the North-eastern and Northern Regions.

Dogs are the primary source of human infection. Cats are an alternate host and a secondary source of

human exposure. Stray or community dogs and, to a lesser extent, unvaccinated pet dogs are

responsible for sustaining endemic rabies in Thailand".

http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Zoonoses_THA-rabies-cp.pdf

rabies can be in any mammal (at least land mammal have yet to hear about whales with rabies ), grazers (deers, horses, etc also get rabies but usually the vector was a fox that bit the grazer as was the case several years ago with the antelope in our neck of the woods (the jerusalem zoo to be exact). rabies is a virus, fortunately with a short shelf life once out of the victim, but conveniently spread by salive and bites, which is why it is canines felines and their relatives that are the prime carriers and sufferers. grazing animals for the most part dont bite, but here in israel we have had several cases of donkeys with rabies in our area since there are feral herds running in the same areas as the foxes and jackals and feral dogs. and donkeys can give it to humans since donkies use their mouths as hands to show affection among each other and us and also to punish /warn us and eachother. horses also bite. deers use head butting as do gazelles so much less likely to pass rabies on to an other one in their herd.

not sure if there are cases of a human biting a human and passing on the rabies virus.

here, all domestic animals (goats, sheep, alpacas,cows etc) on farms get vaccinated by the gov't. its a small registration fee but only they can do the vaccinating to make it official. for other mammals (that supposedly dont come in contact with wild animals or humans i.e. live in secure cages, like rats and gueni pigs and rabbits,) u can vaccinate on your own as its not required but good business /vet sense, but then the vaccine is not registered.

in hubby's village in korat, all the dogs that belonged to houses were vaccinated when the official came around, so that means that if u have a pup and the guy only comes around in five months, then u have five months of unprotected dog. thai villagers are very mcuh aware about rabies and their dogs , much more so then city dwellers and the soi dogs in bangkok.

the fact that dogs have mange doesnt mean they arent taken care of. mange in thai dogs seems endemic, not just due to immune system weakness but to exposure as pups to dams with mange, and who knows, maybe a genetic propensity to it, like some horse breed lines here (local arab horses suffer from manges here, only in certain areas, regardless of food, shelter, or care. )and ivomec doesnt do 100 % job always.

and as an aside: while many westerners treat their dogs as children, in most thai villages, dogs are (were) for work, or a general pet that hangs around the house. not quite the same as we see our 'furry babies'. hubby's father keeps several thai village dogs for hunting. they get ivomec'd de wormed, fed, and basic treatment. but nothing beyond that. his father is a bare foot machete wielding hunter. to say he doesnt love his dogs, just isnt true. just his way of interpreting what love for a domestic working animal is different then ours. they arent spoiled, coddled, played with, but they are fed, given a good word, and seem to enjoy the work they do (hunting for whatever protected species are still left in issaan woods).

Bina,good stuff. Used to do the animal round ups in India when I lived there,Christ it was all over the place. Get a call to go to a certain village,sure enough the dog was there off its head,get the pole and cage it,tell the villagers I'd be back at a certain time to deal with the other animals that had been bitten,the idle bastards never did a thing,all I could ever get hold of was perhaps one or two cats or dogs ,the others just cleared off when I got the pole out,but the villagers used to flock round me wanting the animals vaccine administered to them,Christ I hated them,took a syringe full and squirted it in the air and cleared off