Thai Public Health Ministry Plans Strict Measures Against Smoking

webfact

I would like for you to substantiate your "fact" with the citation of the study from which you quote. I won't hold my breath for your reply.

And, if there is such a study, does "rarer" mean fewer cases due to a lower population or a lower rate when population is taken into consideration? Anyone can skew statistics to suit their need. What can't be faked are the inconsiderate behaviors of smokers who light up regardless of the unhealthy environment they are creating.

http://www.ncin.org....s/rurality.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15820590

http://www.second-op...ung_cancer.html

They all confirm my statement, in addition you need to understand that diesel fumes are one of the most harmful possible substances to the human lungs, and you will get a massively larger amount of diesel fumes in the city than in a rural area. Common sense as well as doing some research will show industrial pollution causes lung cancer and you will not find many doctors or scientists who will deny that, and of course industrial pollution is a city not a rural problem.

Rural populations are not immune, of course, although one would hope in most cases the air quality would be better than the cities. There are exceptions, of course, such as near limestone quarries, where crops are being sprayed with insecticide, or where northern Thailand is suffering the burn-off season.

• Like 1

Walk around in any city especially in Chiang Mai and the Air quality from Burning--Busses--Diesels all belching toxic smoke is about equal to smoking 2 Packs a day.....

In public I rather walk around Smokers then try to cross the street and being hit by a drunk driver...

How do drunk drivers figure as lung-cancer risks? Perhaps all the alcohol fumes?? Am I missing something?

Thailand becomes as unfriendly and liberty restrictive as america!

I loved traveling and smoking in openbuses in 1990...

Hopefully there's still the "between the cars" smokers lounge in the trains!

Good points Yunla. Are you a smoker?

I'm not a smoker. My biggest objection is simply the lack of smoking enforcement by owners and police in bars and restaurants, and inadequate separation for smokers and non-smokers. I like (and in some cases need) to visit these places. But there is no separation from the smokers in many places, mostly the "open air" ones. Apparently there is an exception for that in the law, and it leaves non-smokers breathng second-hand smoke. And the most annoying thing is even when I find a place where there aren't any customers smoking, in the course of the time I will be there someone inevitably will park at a table nearby and be oblivious to his surroundings (that people aren't smoking) and light up.

I am a smoker and smoke regularly in places where the management will allow - my pet hate is the opposite of yours, i find myself a table well away from other patrons and start drinking and smoking. Eventually (although there are usually many empty tables well away from mine) the do-ggoders and non-smokers manage to sit around and near to where i am sitting and then have the cheek to complain! Why the hell can't they just keep their distance away, mind their own business and live and let die (or should that be live?)

• Like 1

Hopefully they will start enforcing the non smoking law as is so i can enjoy a meal somewhere without people blowing smoke in my face!

I quit going to some nice restaurants because of this.

Absolutely agreed. I stopped going to the Huntsmans Pub inside the Landmark Hotel because they refused to enforce the smoking ban in air conditioned spaces.

Complaints to the Landmark went unanswered too.

Well, now you can start going to HP again because there's no smoking allowed inside the pub anymore...

Me and my friends used to go there once a week but since the complete smoking ban we don't go anymore (yes, most of us smoke)...

That's around THB 50k every month they won't get, and that's just us...Hope all those non-smokers will make it up to them now (like they did in the UK, US, Hong Kong and other places)...cheesy.gif

How about some photos on the side of junk-food containers, of a clinically obese person being airlifted in a jumbo-harness from the demolished wall of his home, because he can't get off the sofa or through the doorway by himself. Or big billboards showing a 30 year old alcoholic vomiting up his stomach lining into a huge pool of blood on the pavement after a heavy night on distilled spirits. (my friend Tommy RIP)

They should start showing big billboard pictures along the roads of people trapped in car-wrecks and of bloodied limbs scattered allover the road, to show people what happens when they drive dangerously.

Also should be full colour photos lining the roads of 'industrial breathing disorder', industrial asthma & emphysema , show us pedestrians what happens to people who breathe car-fumes all day long.

GREAT IDEA !!! I love it ^^ if only they really did do all of this :))

If we are going to show grotesque pictures of people dying from self-infliced vices & unnecessary pollution, we should go either all the way or not at all. This applies to Thailand but also Europe where these double-standards are also rife.

The shameful double-standards applied to tobacco smoking, it is somehow viewed as acceptable for gory photos of random dead naked people on cig-boxes and on big posters (see OP). How about some photos on the side of junk-food containers, of a clinically obese person being airlifted in a jumbo-harness from the demolished wall of his home, because he can't get off the sofa or through the doorway by himself. Or big billboards showing a 30 year old alcoholic vomiting up his stomach lining into a huge pool of blood on the pavement after a heavy night on distilled spirits. (my friend Tommy RIP)

They should start showing big billboard pictures along the roads of people trapped in car-wrecks and of bloodied limbs scattered allover the road, to show people what happens when they drive dangerously.

Also should be full colour photos lining the roads of 'industrial breathing disorder', industrial asthma & emphysema , show us pedestrians what happens to people who breathe car-fumes all day long. What a hypocrisy.

Nobody is saying that that smoking doesn't harm your lungs, but you get lung cancer just as fast from breathing toxic industrial smog. How many of these placards in the OP are of people who smoked while living on a mountaintop breathing fresh air every day. How do you know those gory photos of tumors are not from diesel fumes & factory emissions. Fact - lung cancer is much rarer in rural areas than in towns, despite similar levels of tobacco smokers.

Good point. Gory pictures of dead and dying smokers on cigarette packs... why not have gory pictures of traffic casualties on all motor vehicles?

on all taxis would be easier to enforce i think .