Bbq Hunt - Buy Or Build?

SoloFlyer

Looking for good bbq for home. Is Rimping the best selection (all 4 of them?). I see global has some shells for coal bbq, but 8k and pretty flimsy. Has anyone built there own, or preferably had one built? I'd like to do the gallon drum job, with gas and hood.

• Like 1

Contact the Chiang Mai rep for this company - nice guy and they have a good unit on offer

http://www.bbqthai.com/

Once, in a former life, I lived next door to the guy who started the Aussie BBQ's Galore and they had quality products made in Australia. My cast ally bbq lasted 25 years! Now it's overpriced made in China rubbish that may last 2 years, if lucky.

I like the simple clay-pot charcoal cookers, cheap to buy, easy to use and produce tasty results. Wororot market has them... somewhere.

• Like 1

I have used the stainless steel shops to build me many things. They will be building my next BBQ once I get around to drawing up some plans. I'm sure they can build me a beauty for 7-8k baht. Will last a lifetime.

Thanks guys, all good suggestions so far. The billabong at the bbqstore is the one I was keen on at Rimping (which was far cheaper at Rimping), but it might be a fraction small. The stainless bbqthai ones - does stainless steel do the job??

Wimpy, when do you plan to plan?? I like the idea of a customised beast.

Edited by SoloFlyer

Consider a Chinese kamado or one of these http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/ as an alternative.

Alibaba has kamados on their website here: http://auplex.en.ali...wholesales.html

Once you've cooked with one, you'll never go SS or some monster brick contraption.

If I didn't live in a studio apt, I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

The used place on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd. south of the Holiday Inn and just before the highway underpass has a used BBQ for sale that has been there for a while. They also had/have some 1/2 drum BBQs.

I bought a Vulcan top of the line stainless BBQ with a double hot plate and a rotisserie there for 40,000 Baht. Beautiful machine that I now use in The River Market. I also bought one of the Chinese egg shaped roasters there. Lots of really great used items.

By the way for golfers, they have an abundance of name brand clubs.

I always wanted to get two woks and connect them with a hinge, drill three holes on the bottom, make legs and install a handle on the top wok. Voila - instant Weber bbq grill

I have used the stainless steel shops to build me many things. They will be building my next BBQ once I get around to drawing up some plans. I'm sure they can build me a beauty for 7-8k baht. Will last a lifetime.

Stainless you said stainless as said Quick Fire www.gasbbqthailand.com

Those look very nice, but I don't think I want to spend 18,000 or 34,000 baht on a BBQ. I am sure I can build something decent for less than half that.

I bought one for 9000 that is very strong and good size from a guy who's Church teaches welding and they sell the class projects. It's lasted me years well, I'm a Chef and use to to smoke as well. If interested I can get more info for you.

I like the simple clay-pot charcoal cookers, cheap to buy, easy to use and produce tasty results. Wororot market has them... somewhere.

That would be a charcoal grilling. But some of us are looking for something with a lid which allow indirect heat. I eventually had to buy a very expensive Weber kettle from Rimping.

Here's a pic of my battle tested unit. the guys lives in town but makes them in San Sai (delivery avail.) I'll stop in next time I go by and get his info for you, not sure if he still is doing this, but it's heavy duty, works well and built to be able to clean. I'm not affiliated with his organization, don't even know what is it besides Christian based, I just bought one from them cause it looked good and it is.

post-101742-0-27027900-1338715792_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

Contact the Chiang Mai rep for this company - nice guy and they have a good unit on offer

Once, in a former life, I lived next door to the guy who started the Aussie BBQ's Galore and they had quality products made in Australia. My cast ally bbq lasted 25 years! Now it's overpriced made in China rubbish that may last 2 years, if lucky.

Well said Kaptain Rob. I toyed with the idea of western BBQ's and self build...having visited friends who had paid an arm and a leg for western styled BBQ's from certain supermarkets that are farang orientated. So I bought the charcoal clay pot with stainless steel outers at 150.00 baht each from the local vendors and was amazed by their simplicity and the excellent taste they produced for western and Thai foods by placing what I term as the " mexican hat" on top and cooking vegetables/pork/chicken in water ....whatever...thai style.

Everyone joins in with this cooking method and makes it great fun. Maybe sometimes we get drawn into our previous life styles without realising that there are products that are as equally effective, at a fraction of the cost and more conducive to a fun filled atmosphere as opposed to one person preparing/cooking for the guests..

Edited by Raindancer

Has two going lengthwise w/separate controls. With a suitable material you could put on top of rack or have made to fit w/1/2 rack, perhaps they could do this too. I have to kill sone time in town today, I'll try to swing by and get # for you. What would you use the flat top for?

I have one these so called overpriced pieces of Chinese garbage, the 4 Burner downunder to be exact.

http://www.bbqthai.com/4_Downunder_cart.html

The regular price is closer to 21k not the 28k on their website, True Value Hardware also sell the same ones and the Downunder was 20.5k but I got it for 15k when they had a storewide 25% off (for members) sale, this was nearly 3 years ago and to date it is showing no signs of falling apart/rusting and it is used atleast twice daily.

I don't post on threads like this, but wanted to give props to BBQTHAI.

I ordered a big stainless BBQ and paid in advance. They delivered and set up on the day they promised and even purchased a large gas bottle and filled it and had it all ready for when I came home from BKK.

It gets used at least once a weekend and I am really impressed with it, as I was with the service from BBQTHAI. Recommended.

Stopped by today and the neighbors said he moved back to the Sates a yr. ago but his parents are still at the church not far from my house. I spend half my time cycling around anyways so I'll see if I can find it tomorrow but I don't think karma's on our side this time. I saw this yesterday in town, quite large, but not nearly as strong as mine,with a smoke stack (hidden behind open top) as you can see there is a pan of water inside looking like some smokin' is to be done. Looks like easily could put a flatop (or hotplate as you call it, even a griddle but a grill has grates, nothing like ordering grilled food and it comes out fried! - thanks for letting me vent (pun intended) on to it, maybe have to get someone to cut a piece to size. Anyway I saw this at a new restaurant (no menu yet or food or even name but a fully staffed with very nice ppl. ready for customers, kind of. It's right before Ford on the moat (use to be Busy Bee Bakery or something like that I think) with signs saying New Orleans Food. Same guy owns El Diablos so maybe he can point you in the right direction. Oh they gave me a free sample of Shrimp Gumbo, excellent and I cooked in the French Quarter, so can't wait till ore food starts coming out of that kitchen.

post-101742-0-35461800-1338982145_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

Looking forward to this new restaurant.

Stopped by today and the neighbors said he moved back to the Sates a yr. ago but his parents are still at the church not far from my house. I spend half my time cycling around anyways so I'll see if I can find it tomorrow but I don't think karma's on our side this time. I saw this yesterday in town, quite large, but not nearly as strong as mine,with a smoke stack (hidden behind open top) as you can see there is a pan of water inside looking like some smokin' is to be done. Looks like easily could put a flatop (or hotplate as you call it, even a griddle but a grill has grates, nothing like ordering grilled food and it comes out fried! - thanks for letting me vent (pun intended) on to it, maybe have to get someone to cut a piece to size. Anyway I saw this at a new restaurant (no menu yet or food or even name but a fully staffed with very nice ppl. ready for customers, kind of. It's right before Ford on the moat (use to be Busy Bee Bakery or something like that I think) with signs saying New Orleans Food. Same guy owns El Diablos so maybe he can point you in the right direction. Oh they gave me a free sample of Shrimp Gumbo, excellent and I cooked in the French Quarter, so can't wait till ore food starts coming out of that kitchen.

That is a very well designed BBQ that will cook almost anything, perfectly, every time.

Thanks JC. Bummer about the guy leaving. That BBQ is the same they have at global - shell only, no gas, so for coal cooking. They are around 8.5k. But pretty flimsy, and I'd prefer gas. But thanks very much for your efforts anyway.

Wimpy? Where are you? Need your expertise to get one built.

I bought one for 9000 that is very strong and good size from a guy who's Church teaches welding and they sell the class projects. It's lasted me years well, I'm a Chef and use to to smoke as well. If interested I can get more info for you.

I really liked smoking pork when I lived in Southern California. Mesquite and Hickory were the popular woods you could buy, what is available here in Chiang Mai?